• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
To delve more into the Cubs' 2016:
From June 20 - July 30 (assuming I counted right), they were 14-21 (.400)
The other parts of the season they were 89-37 (.706)
Overall they were .640

And beat writers are still thinking this team pulls off a huge trade to turn the season around. Our offense is trash, one trade won't do shit.

Meh, all three of these games easily could've gone the other way. Sucks to lose 3 to the Cubs, but it's 3 games in a 162 game season

Silver lining is that the Cubs sure don't look all that threatening this year! Gonna be even more of a problem next year when they have to replace 60% of their starting rotation.

go milwaukee

Meh, all three of these games easily could've gone the other way. Sucks to lose 3 to the Cubs, but it's 3 games in a 162 game season

Silver lining is that the Cubs sure don't look all that threatening this year! Gonna be even more of a problem next year when they have to replace 60% of their starting rotation.

go milwaukee

the cubs are getting basically the least you could possibly expect out of the still-immense amount of talent they have, they have lots of payroll space going forward, and they have a brilliant front office. also, the guys they need to replace in the rotation have like a combined 5 era, so that can't/won't get worse, regardless.

i think you should enjoy this down period from the cubs while it lasts.

gamz

the cubs are getting basically the least you could possibly expect out of the still-immense amount of talent they have, they have lots of payroll space going forward, and they have a brilliant front office. also, the guys they need to replace in the rotation have like a combined 5 era, so that can't/won't get worse, regardless.

Agreed. They'll turn it on. Good news is the division is shit. They'll win it hands down, pull off a trade for a starter and so on.

Good news is we have Happ.

Are Astros allways this good?

Noooooooooooo

The Astros just a few seasons ago were historically bad. They'd decided to do a complete rebuild in the most burn the boats way. In 2013, they went 51-111, an incredibly bad win/loss record. But they stocked young players and the game knew they'd get better.

In June 2014, as the Astros were on their way to a 92 loss season, and following getting new ownership (and even switching leagues!) Sports Illustrated ran one of its more famous baseball covers:

10464218_10154263320520431_6241616349984624771_n.jpg

So, no they generally haven't been great. They've won 90 games or more only 6 times since 1962. They've had some good teams and some great players, but this is some next level stuff they're pulling off so far this year.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah, this is the best Astros team I've seen. Even better than the 2005 team that went to the WS, shame that Beltran didn't sign back then and Bagwell's injury hurt too.

In the playoffs, 2004 Beltran was some unprecedented shit and a shame they didn't get to the WS.

There's a lot of talent and any lineup with Rizzo and Bryant in the middle is going to be threatening, but the rest of that lineup doesn't look particularly threatening anymore. Russell continues to not take a step forward offensively (going backwards even), Schwarber looks like a 110 wRC+ bat with bad defense, etc.

I'll enjoy the Cubs spending free agent money for starting pitching right when their young talent is actually going to start costing more than league minimum. Or having to empty the farm for cost controlled starting pitching.

The Cubs are still a good team and will win the division this year, but I am far less worried after seeing what they've done this season. And will continue to be until the Cubs show they can actually develop starting pitching.

(Or actually develop not-top 10 draft picks period.)

There's a lot of talent and any lineup with Rizzo and Bryant in the middle is going to be threatening, but the rest of that lineup doesn't look particularly threatening anymore. Russell continues to not take a step forward offensively (going backwards even), Schwarber looks like a 110 wRC+ bat with bad defense, etc.

I'll enjoy the Cubs spending free agent money for starting pitching right when their young talent is actually going to start costing more than league minimum. Or having to empty the farm for cost controlled starting pitching.

The Cubs are still a good team and will win the division this year, but I am far less worried after seeing what they've done this season. And will continue to be until the Cubs show they can actually develop starting pitching.

(Or actually develop not-top 10 draft picks period.)

well,they haven't even tried to develop starting pitching..

the desperation here is palpable

Lunar FC

Driving out to Denver tomorrow but it looks like this entire Indian series I'm going to see is about to get rained out. 🖕🙄🖕

well,they haven't even tried to develop starting pitching..

the desperation here is palpable

Which is why I said I'm less worried until the Cubs show that they can?

I never said they couldn't, just that they haven't so far!

Cubs are obviously in an enviable position, but pitching is a clear weakness they're going to have to address either by spending a lot of money or trading prospects.

(Cardinals have the opposite problem, fwiw)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Whoa, SI predicted that 3 years in advance?

Don't want to get too hasty nonetheless though. Have to win the ALDS first.

Yeah... and SI covers are usually curses. Which is why I hated that cover and wanted it burned from existence.

Choomp

Banned
Anthony DiComo

Projected NL starting ASG outfield WAR ranks:

Bryce Harper (1st)
Charlie Blackmon (4th)
Jason Heyward (18th)

*Michael Conforto ranks 2nd.

God no.

I'll probably see Whit's hitting streak end since Ned put him in the lead-off spot for today since he was batting 8th the entire time the hitting streak has happened. Then, having Jorge Bonifacio hitting second shows how much the offense has sucked this year and the one-two punch of Escobar-Gordon at the bottom has to be the worst in the Al, maybe all of the baseball currently.

It doesn't help we're still the worst scoring offense in the MLB to my knowledge. That's how bad our April was, just horrible.

Anthony DiComo

Projected NL starting ASG outfield WAR ranks:

Bryce Harper (1st)
Charlie Blackmon (4th)
Jason Heyward (18th)

*Michael Conforto ranks 2nd.

God no.
Knew he'd get shafted.

Making something players get incentives for into a fan vote was the worst idea in history.

He is arguably the best pitcher in our franchise. Fuck that.

And Curt Schilling was a big factor in us winning the 2004 World Series.
And a not-insignificant factor in the 2007 postseason as well.

Why not pair the two of them up in the booth? It would be good for laughs.

Sanjuro

And Curt Schilling was a big factor in us winning the 2004 World Series.
And a not-insignificant factor in the 2007 postseason as well.

Why not pair the two of them up in the booth? It would be good for laughs.

One of those things are not like the others.

I bet you hate A-Rod.

One of those things are not like the others.

I bet you hate A-Rod.

Yeah, one left to be "closer to home" by going to Toronto, and then went to the Yankees.
The other retired after getting his 2nd World Series ring with the Red Sox.

And, no, I don't hate Alex Rodriguez. I think it was a joke that he didn't continue being Shortstop when he went to the Yankees, but it was for the best since it led to the Yankees fielding a less-than-optimal team.

Sanjuro

Yeah, one left to be "closer to home" by going to Toronto, and then went to the Yankees.
The other retired after getting his 2nd World Series ring with the Red Sox.

And, no, I don't hate Alex Rodriguez. I think it was a joke that he didn't continue being Shortstop when he went to the Yankees, but it was for the best since it led to the Yankees fielding a less-than-optimal team.

Did you make this post in the twilight of your career?

Rocket isn't a raging virulent xenophobic piece of trash.

He's just kind of an a-hole

He's also probably the greatest pitcher in history.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that Clemens is a better (or comparable) person to Schilling.
My point is just that being a good Baseball player doesn't automatically make one a good fit for announcing - or anything.

(He's also not even in the conversation for "greatest pitcher in history," but that's a discussion for another time)

Did you make this post in the twilight of your career?

Hopefully not.

Sanjuro

I don't care if he sucks at announcing. I rather not see him black balled.

I also wear my 21 jersey proudly to games. People just think I'm a Jew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom