• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

DCLXORdUQAAgxVN.jpg:orig

YOU SON OF A-

I think everyone is waiting for the Brewers to regress and it's not happening. I just laugh because the Brewers have been leading the division for most of the season and nobody wants to talk about them. Just watching the Crew, you can look into that dugout and tell they believe they can win the division. Admittedly they're one bad slump from losing that lead

i haven't seen anyone talking about them regressing, until this little hot streak they've been hovering around .500, it's not some big shock that they've been decent. they haven't been getting a lot of attention because the division sucks and they've only been a few games over .500 most of the year.

Line_HTX

Musgrove 5 2/3 IP, meh.

Devo is the winning pitcher with no hits, no ER.
CkDNzVe.png

Springer and 4 other batters are just fucking Godlike right now, it's crazy. Even Aoki stole a base, hahaha

Kjs16Ll.gif

McBryBry

As I sit at work today, I'm stuck with the eternal thoughts of if the Cardinals should buy and sell, and who we could sell that would be worth anything.

BFIB

As I sit at work today, I'm stuck with the eternal thoughts of if the Cardinals should buy and sell, and who we could sell that would be worth anything.

Lynn/Oh/Rosenthal would at least bring value.

However, I think this ownership group has blinders on. They are going to get 3 mil in tickets sold, so I fully expect them to be buyers instead.

However, I think this ownership group has blinders on. They are going to get 3 mil in tickets sold, so I fully expect them to be buyers instead.

Lynn's return would have to outweigh a first round draft pick (that we'll get after someone signs him because of QO). I'm all for selling him, but not sure that's what he would get. Depends on other pitching.

Rosenthal would get a lot. Honestly, we could trade those three guys, buy low on some bullpen piece from Miami or something, and pretty sure we could still compete. Luke Weaver is probably close to as good as Lynn right now.

McBryBry

Lynn's return would have to outweigh a first round draft pick (that we'll get after someone signs him because of QO). I'm all for selling him, but not sure that's what he would get. Depends on other pitching.

Rosenthal would get a lot. Honestly, we could trade those three guys, buy low on some bullpen piece from Miami or something, and pretty sure we could still compete. Luke Weaver is probably close to as good as Lynn right now.

My issue is Lynn and Oh aren't really helping their cases. Rosie has been good but Oh can't throw to lefties at all and Lynn is getting hammered. Idk what we could get for them considering they aren't helping.

Sephzilla

If anything the Brewers are the Major League Cleveland of this season. Seems like the team is either kids or journeymen getting second or third chances. But we're missing the GOAT baseball movie manager

major-leaguelou-brown.jpg

BFIB

Its amazing how bad this team is playing after 2 very sucessful seasons with little roster change. However I think losing Ross and Fowler was much more detrimental to the team than anyone thought it would be.
Two seasons of higher than expected pitching and their quick regression is what stands out to me.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah. They caught lighting in a bottle with their pitching. In theory they should've traded some of their bunch of good players for an ace but Arrieta and Hendricks came out of nowhere to be a great 1-2 punch and they have disappeared just as quickly.

to just say that the cubs have the biggest post-ws decline in run differential is kind of disingenuous without mentioning that they their differential was over 250 last season.
even while being at their absolute worst all season. they still have a positive run differential and have hovered right at .500 all season. they're a purely average team.

it's starting to feel like it might not happen this year (although fangraphs still projects them at 85 wins, with 82 for milwaukee and 80 for st louis), but i have extreme confidence that this season is an aberration and not indicative of future season. we still have tons of talent (mostly young-to-very-young), some premium minor league talent to use to fix the rotation, a large and increasing payroll (with tons of dead weight coming off the books at the end of the season), and a brilliant front office.

tl;dr it's very sad that the cubs are kind of shit this season, but if you hate them, you better enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah. They caught lighting in a bottle with their pitching. In theory they should've traded some of their bunch of good players for an ace but Arrieta and Hendricks came out of nowhere to be a great 1-2 punch and they have disappeared just as quickly.

que? arrieta hasn't been their ace since 2015, and hendricks didn't "disappear", he got hurt. there's this guy called jon lester.

Line_HTX

Can someone summarize what Toronto has been like? Last I heard they were getting gatekept from .500 for 9 straight games they were one game away.

Parch

Can someone summarize what Toronto has been like?
Mostly crap. Smoak and Osuna are really the only bright spots this year. Starters have been inconsistent. Estrada turned to crap. Hitters are one dimensional. Donaldson is having a terrible year mostly because of injury.

It's not happening this year, and being an old team means it's not happening next year either. There's more and more talk that rebuild trades need to happen.

Two seasons of higher than expected pitching and their quick regression is what stands out to me.

That and some of their players just aren't as good as people thought. Schwarber certainly isn't the threatening bat people were calling him. Cubs should've traded him when his value was higher.

They'll have to do something to address their pitching, either spending a lot of money or trading whatever prospects they have. Replacing 60% of your rotation (Lackey, Arrieta, Anderson) is hard for any team. I guess they can continue to run Eddie Butler out there.

That and some of their players just aren't as good as people thought. Schwarber certainly isn't the threatening bat people were calling him. Cubs should've traded him when his value was higher.

They'll have to do something to address their pitching, either spending a lot of money or trading whatever prospects they have. Replacing 60% of your rotation (Lackey, Arrieta, Anderson) is hard for any team. I guess they can continue to run Eddie Butler out there.

it's funny how the cubs are at their worst right now and you still feel it necessary to do this subtle trolling (using the same exact stuff you've tried to use in the past). i've learned not to take the bait, and now it just makes me feel better about the cubs, because you obviously still have that fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom