• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's funny how the cubs are at their worst right now and you still feel it necessary to do this subtle trolling (using the same exact stuff you've tried to use in the past). i've learned not to take the bait, and now it just makes me feel better about the cubs, because you obviously still have that fear.

It's subtle trolling to point out that Schwarber isn't as good as people thought he was? He has almost as many MLB PAs as minor league ones at this point. He's not as bad as he's been this season, but he's not some star player. A ~110 wRC+ (which is what the most optimistic projections for him look like) bad bodied outfielder with average-at-best defense in left is not a star. We saw those types of players struggle to find teams over the offseason.

Same thing with the rotation. Didn't know it was trolling to point out that the Cubs are going to need to find 3 starters unless they want to run Montgomery and Butler out there two out of every five days. Pitching is something the Cubs front office has not figured out yet. Maybe they will, but so far they haven't.

Dunno how that makes you feel better about the Cubs. I guess they do have Rizzo and Bryant, so any lineup with those two in it is still going to be pretty good.

i'll take the bait on schwarber just because i just have to point out how obtuse you're being

you keep trying to make these definitive statements, as if you're completely unaware with the game of baseball and how good players come to be. schwarber turned 24 a few months and has 458 at-bats. so because he's been ass for 3 months, you're jumping to these long-term conclusions. welp, he's had a bad first half, BUST. like, do you understand player development at all? do i really need to tell you that the game is littered with good hitters who sucked for far longer than schwarber has? oh, and by the way, he's coming off an 18 month layoff after completely shredding his knee. he could very easily end up sucking or being awesome. we don't know.

schwarber outlook from a rational human: his struggles get more concerning as time goes on, and the K% will pobably rule out him ever being a truly elite hitter (which we've know since before this season even started). however, there is plenty of reason to still be optimistic about him developing into a good hitter. the power is obvious and immense, his approach has remained great (in fact, his peripherals are all right in line with his rookie season), he hit everywhere he went prior to this season, and he was drafted in the top of the first round by theo epstein and jason mcleod, who have tremendous track records of identifying and developing young hitters.

i get it, schwarber got a crazy amount of attention last season and it annoyed you. he was often talked about as an established monster of a hitter, when he was really still an unknown who had a lot to prove. all you're doing is taking this to the opposite extreme.

i'll take the bait on schwarber just because i just have to point out how obtuse you're being

you keep trying to make these definitive statements, as if you're completely unaware with the game of baseball and how good players come to be. schwarber turned 24 a few months and has 458 at-bats. so because he's been ass for 3 months, you're jumping to these long-term conclusions. welp, he's had a bad first half, BUST. like, do you understand player development at all? do i really need to tell you that the game is littered with good hitters who sucked for far longer than schwarber has? oh, and by the way, he's coming off an 18 month layoff after completely shredding his knee. he could very easily end up sucking or being awesome. we don't know.

schwarber outlook from a rational human: his struggles get more concerning as time goes on, and the K% will pobably rule out him ever being a truly elite hitter (which we've know since before this season even started). however, there is plenty of reason to still be optimistic about him developing into a good hitter. the power is obvious and immense, his approach has remained great (in fact, his peripherals are all right in line with his rookie season), he hit everywhere he went prior to this season, and he was drafted in the top of the first round by theo epstein and jason mcleod, who have tremendous track records of identifying and developing young hitters.

i get it, schwarber got a crazy amount of attention last season and it annoyed you. he was often talked about as an established monster of a hitter, when he was really still an unknown who had a lot to prove. all you're doing is taking this to the opposite extreme.

Kyle Schwarber has 539 PA of unspectacular play in the MLB, which is about ~60 PA less than he has in all of the minor leagues. At this point, minor league numbers take a backseat to MLB numbers. He has a career wRC+ of 105 and is projected to have a wRC+ of anywhere from 106-110. With average-at-best defense in left, that's an alright 1.5-2 win player per 600 PA (bWAR is much less optimistic about his defense, however).

But maybe all of the projection systems are also trolling too.

RBH

NkvTl4b.png

X9tD7Pq.png

The hell is going on in DC

Kyle Schwarber has 539 PA of unspectacular play in the MLB, which is about ~60 PA less than he has in all of the minor leagues. At this point, minor league numbers take a backseat to MLB numbers. He has a career wRC+ of 105 and is projected to have a wRC+ of anywhere from 106-110. With average-at-best defense in left, that's an alright 1.5-2 win player per 600 PA (bWAR is much less optimistic about his defense, however).

But maybe all of the projection systems are also trolling too.

i wonder if you didn't read my post, or are just pretending not to have

tenor.gif

Line_HTX

What was that shit about Hinch telling players no repeat of years past where they kept melting down going into the All-Star break?

Yeah... yeah.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Or don't have these dumbfucks in Washington be able to delay games without adult supervision.

This is all about their bullpen being shit.
This doesn't even make sense. It started raining a little at 9:30. Right around when the bullpen would come into the game. Unless Gio lays an egg.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
After a rain delay, does the starter usually come back in?

Their bullpen is putrid. They wanted Gio to go as long as he could.
I don't see how that changes anything. If they didn't delay Gio would have gone as long as he could anyway. If the rain started earlier then the delay would have made sense in the first place.

I don't see how that changes anything. If they didn't delay Gio would have gone as long as he could anyway. If the rain started earlier then the delay would have made sense in the first place.

Start game on time, Gio stands to only go five or six, considering they expected the rain to hit at 9.

I'm not sure this needed to be explained this thoroughly.

Even the Nats fans on Reddit are calling the team out for it.

BFIB

it's funny how the cubs are at their worst right now and you still feel it necessary to do this subtle trolling (using the same exact stuff you've tried to use in the past). i've learned not to take the bait, and now it just makes me feel better about the cubs, because you obviously still have that fear.
Between the Cards and Cubs, the Cubs are still the team that is likely one big trade away from turning the season around. Cards have more holes to fill. Nuts how terrible both have been this year.

What are you even talking about now? All I argued was that the conspiracy theories about the delay being because of the bullpen make no sense.

It's either malfeasance or incompetence. And since they already did this once when they were going to start a guy from AAA, I'm calling it the former along with a ton of other people.

Between the Cards and Cubs, the Cubs are still the team that is likely one big trade away from turning the season around. Cards have more holes to fill. Nuts how terrible both have been this year.

i don't really think one big trade is going to change much, but simply replacing lackey and butler with hendricks and a cheapish rental would help the rotation a lot. but really, theo is right. trades will help, but the reality is that the guys we have already need to get their shit together for this not to be a lost season. i still think they've yet to play their best baseball, but i'm definitely not assuming that to be true anymore. they might just be having a shitty season.

Chris R

Mariners seem to forget that runs scored before the 9th inning count just as much as those scored in the 9th.

8L at home in a row... WAOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom