• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Astros close to getting Verlander

Annnnnd apparently hearing that he rejected the trade. Whew.

hmmm I suppose family location must be more important than actually being on a decent team again.

as if he wanted to win going to the astros would make far more sense than staying on a team that just announced properly its intention to rebuild.

Choomp

Banned
Chris McCosky
@cmccosky

The Tigers get-back for Verlander was believed to include, Franklin Perez, Daz Cameron and possibly Jake Rodgers. Again, deal is off.

zulux21

Chris McCosky
@cmccosky

The Tigers get-back for Verlander was believed to include, Franklin Perez, Daz Cameron and possibly Jake Rodgers. Again, deal is off.

if the astros weren't going to get back money as well I would say they easily dodged a bullet.

verlander is still a solid pitcher but still is owed 78 mil over the next 3 years and is past his prime.

BigAT

Umm what is Verlander doing.

zE6LtzX.png

zulux21

Astros giving up a couple good prospects, no way they aren't retaining money.

yeah.... I am going to guess that they are going to get around 10 mil a season from the tigers. (which will put him around the cost carlos beltron is)

though

is kind of funny to look at.

almost steadily 25 mil a season increase, so who says they can't go to 150 mil next season lol.

I did forget the last season of verlander is an option that only vests if he is in top 5 cy young rankings in 2019. but still.

zulux21

This makes sad. Verlander is one of the few dudes I just can't imagine in another uniform.

I remember when johan santana, mark bhurle, and cc sabathia were all in the AL central.

it was crazy to have 3 really talented left handers in one division. it was super weird to see them go to other places.

not as weird as when frank thomas was playing for someone else but still.

still saddens me that santana got hurt and just fell off a cliff :(

either way it looks like verlander will be a decent upgrade after Dallas Keuchel

who gets the third start in the playoffs
Brad Peacock or Charlie Morton?

glad verlander is staying in the AL

was kinda hoping doyers had something up their sleeve after this recent embarrassing display of a starting pitching rotation

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
yeah.... I am going to guess that they are going to get around 10 mil a season from the tigers. (which will put him around the cost carlos beltron is)

though

ll.
@JeffPassan
Sources: Tigers are sending significant money to Houston as part of the Verlander deal. Believed to be at least $10 million.

Right on the money.

zulux21

Right on the money.

well at least 10 mil would only be 5 mil per season if it was 10 mil which would mean I wasn't correct, but still there had to be money involved :p

Detroit giving us Verlander and $10 Million? What a trade!

quick thoughts are this is a fine trade for both teams.

tigers get a lot of money off the books even if they are still paying a chunk to start a rebuild, and got some decent talent for a pitcher on a high contract who is older.

astros got a solid number 2 going into the playoffs something that should increase their odds decently. personally I am hoping the astros go all the way. But I have always wanted that since 2005 when ever they were in the playoffs and the white sox weren't as I have always wanted to see them win it all as well since the white sox swept them back then.

turnbuckle

Heartbreaking.
I'll hop in that Astros bandwagon.
My tigers are gutted. I have nothing to hope for in the next couple of years as a Detroit fan.

Necessary move. But my god this one is a kick to the gut.

zulux21

Heartbreaking.
I'll hop in that Astros bandwagon.
My tigers are gutted. I have nothing to hope for in the next couple of years as a Detroit fan.

Necessary move. But my god this one is a kick to the gut.

heh... try watching chris sale being traded while he is still in his prime. That being said I have a feeling the tiger's rebuild is going to take quite a bit longer than the white sox.

the white sox despite everything had quite a bit of talent on their team and traded it away for a bunch of players that were only a year or two away. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed a major player or two as early as this off season to get ready for 2019 when the team should come together.

not that Yoan Moncada has been super impressive so far but he is still young and his glove at least looks nice.

zulux21

But he's not going to the Cubs

which is good because the cubs won't even make the playoffs this year :p

after mil and stl both beat up the cubs they will slip below both of them and into third place.

that being said, despite the red sox and cubs making up 2 of the 3 teams currently in the running that i don't want to see advance in the playoffs at all....

It would be pretty awesome to watch a chris sale vs jose quintana world series game.

turnbuckle

heh... try watching chris sale being traded while he is still in his prime. That being said I have a feeling the tiger's rebuild is going to take quite a bit longer than the white sox.

the white sox despite everything had quite a bit of talent on their team and traded it away for a bunch of players that were only a year or two away. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed a major player or two as early as this off season to get ready for 2019 when the team should come together.

not that Yoan Moncada has been super impressive so far but he is still young and his glove at least looks nice.

The tigers were a hopeless franchise until that magical 2006 season with rookies Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya. Zoom is long gone, but losing JV is the end of an era.

You're absolutely right about the White Sox. Their system is stacked and when the time comes they'll spend money to make a real, sustained push. The Tigers are so far behind, and it's anybody's guess how ownership is going to proceed now that Mike Ilitch is gone.

Sucks.

Ugh, just a devastating night to be a Tigers fan. Let me be clear, I 100% approve of this trade, just...it hurts, bad.

Bottom line: a 34-year old pitcher owed 80ish million on a team gutted of MLB ready talent makes zero sense. Also, getting likely 3 top 10 prospects (for our formerly sorry farm system, including what will be our new #1 prospect) AND shedding massive amount of payroll (not sure yet how much Tigers are kicking in) is a pretty incredible turn around from where we were a few months ago when Verlander was struggling mightily and seemed like a pipe dream we'd get anything halfway decent in a return for him.

Trade is also a no-brainer for the Astros as well. Verlander is still damn good. He should have won the Cy Young last year and he's been pretty great this last stretch as well. Every Playoff team except one would be absolutely kicking themselves if a pitcher of Verlander's caliber was available and they decided to stand pat. Having a ton of great prospects is awesome, but you gotta go for it when you have the chance to win a World Series.

Line_HTX

#AstrosHarvey‏ @astros 40m40 minutes ago

Good evening!

The #Astros have acquired RHP Justin Verlander and a PTBNL or cash from the Tigers.

Welcome to Houston, @JustinVerlander!

DInRGcSVAAA3ZfT.jpg

Holy fuck, I was totally wrong. More details later, I guess.

Trade sf2Jabroni to finish the deal, heh heh heh

#AstrosHarvey‏ @astros 40m40 minutes ago

Good evening!

The #Astros have acquired RHP Justin Verlander and a PTBNL or cash from the Tigers.

Welcome to Houston, @JustinVerlander!

DInRGcSVAAA3ZfT.jpg

Holy fuck, I was totally wrong. More details later, I guess.

Trade sf2Jabroni to finish the deal, heh heh heh
Trade me for CC. I want to say i got traded for CC

zulux21

I see the money was said to be 16 mil, so really not that far off from the 10 mil per season I was expecting.

The tigers were a hopeless franchise until that magical 2006 season with rookies Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya. Zoom is long gone, but losing JV is the end of an era.

You're absolutely right about the White Sox. Their system is stacked and when the time comes they'll spend money to make a real, sustained push. The Tigers are so far behind, and it's anybody's guess how ownership is going to proceed now that Mike Ilitch is gone.

Sucks.
I forgot about joel.... I haven't forgotten how crappy the tigers looked in the 2006 world series though. I still swear they were paid to throw the series, as that is the only way some of the things they did during that series makes sense @_@

don't know how else a team that was solid all year long sudden looks like a bunch of little leaguers when it comes to throwing the balls to bases.

I also forgot how much he was hurt @_@
Zumaya was sidelined for the 2006 American League Championship Series by a sore wrist, which Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski disclosed in a December 2006 radio interview was due to Zumaya playing the PlayStation 2 video game Guitar Hero.[3][4] On the Xbox 360 version of Guitar Hero II, the credits read: No pitchers were harmed in the making of this game. Except for one. Joel Zumaya. He had it coming.[5] In a 2016 interview with the Detroit News, however, Zumaya said the Guitar Hero story was just a cover, and not true. While refusing to disclose the actual source of the injury, and calling the Guitar Hero story his "final answer," he also admitted that it was "some bogus stuff."[6]
Zumaya's future was then clouded by injury: in May 2007, he ruptured a tendon in his hand, requiring surgery and 12 weeks rehab. On August 2, 2007, the Tigers activated Zumaya from the 15-day disabled list after not playing since May 1. The next day, he made his first major league appearance following the injury, pitching to one batter in a game against the Cleveland Indians.
Zumaya sustained another injury, this time to his shoulder, during the 2007 offseason. While helping his father move some boxes in the attic at his father's home in advance of a fire approaching the area, a 50 to 60 pounds (23 to 27 kg) box fell on his right (pitching) shoulder, separating it.[7]
He was placed on the 60-day disabled list at the start of the 2008 season. After appearing in six successful minor league rehab games for the Single-A Lakeland Flying Tigers and Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens, Zumaya rejoined the Tigers on June 20, 2008.
Zumaya was placed on the 15-day DL with a sore right shoulder on March 27, 2009.[8] He was reactivated by the end of April; however, he was placed back on the 15-day DL following a July 18 appearance against the New York Yankees, where it was reported he could barely move his right (throwing) arm. Zumaya had surgery in August, ending his season.
On June 28, 2010, Zumaya injured his elbow in the eighth inning, while pitching against the Minnesota Twins' Delmon Young at Target Field. He was in obvious pain and needed assistance walking off the field. The next day an MRI revealed he had a non-displaced fracture of the olecranon. Doctors said it would take four months to heal, ending his season.[9]
Zumaya missed the entire 2011 season after undergoing exploratory surgery on his right elbow on May 10. While the surgery, performed by Dr. James Andrews found no new damage, it was determined that the screw inserted during his previous surgery needed to be replaced.[10] He was unable to recover sufficiently to return to the team that season, his last before being able to enter free agency for the 2012 season.[11]
Minnesota Twins (2012)[edit]
On January 15, 2012, Zumaya agreed to a one-year contract with the Minnesota Twins worth $800,000 to $1.7 million.[12][13]
On February 25, 2012, Zumaya tore an ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow 13 pitches into a live batting practice session, requiring Tommy John surgery and ending his 2012 season, in which he was guaranteed to earn $400,000.[14] He was released on March 3.
Zumaya retired in February 2014.[15]

gamz

#Cubs had been Verlander's first choice. He wanted to let that play out as long as possible. He agreed to #Astros deal at final minute. @MLB

What might of been...

Russell out three more weeks. Jesus...

i know you're a padres fan so you don't understand, but teams with money can actually afford to take risks like this for good players

I can respect your consistency in showing both arrogance and ignorance. It's impressive.

Teams with money freed up from dumping 30+ year old declining players making tens of millions more than they're worth can then reinvest that money in younger players or player development in order to get better.

You know, stuff like the Cubs and Astros did to get better just a few years ago?

Astros giving up a couple good prospects, no way they aren't retaining money.

He's owed like $80m still. Tigers still come out ahead by $70m and get some guys? Great deal for Detroit.

Good for the Astros too, so long as they win.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I can respect your consistency in showing both arrogance and ignorance. It's impressive.

Teams with money freed up from dumping 30+ year old declining players making tens of millions more than they're worth can then reinvest that money in younger players or player development in order to get better.

You know, stuff like the Cubs and Astros did to get better just a few years ago?

He's owed like $80m still. Tigers still come out ahead by $70m and get some guys? Great deal for Detroit.

still trying to find the full details but I thought I heard the tigers were paying 10 miles per year of his remaining salary.

Either way I don't think I could have woken up to better news this morning. I know he's not as good as he once was but he's still quite good.

still trying to find the full details but I thought I heard the tigers were paying 10 miles per year of his remaining salary.

Either way I don't think I could have woken up to better news this morning. I know he's not as good as he once was but he's still quite good.

Still a good deal for the Tigers given what prospects they got back in the deal.

Not saying the Astros got worked on the deal, just saying that the Tigers being able to ship Upton and Verlander's contracts and actually get something back is the kind of Aug 31st that's never happened before.

If I were a Tiger fan I'd be feeling really good about my team's ability to get to a better competitive position quickly. Those contracts, along with Miggy's, would have sunk the Tigers for the next half decade or more.

And if i were an Astro fan I'd also feel good about the deal, knowing that the Astros had a rotation that could now go up against any other team's in a playoff series.

once again it comes down to you not being willing to do 30 seconds of research to make sure what you're saying is true. saying he's earning tens of millions more than he's worth is just... wrong. he provided surplus value last season, and he's on pace to be worth more than 28 million again this year. the risk is obviously big, but he is still earning his contract.

people just see big trades and they can't help but share hot takes about who won without even knowing what they're talking about. i mean, you can't even be bothered to look up the salary and how much they're eating. they're shedding 40 million, not 70.

p.s. that cubs comparison was weird. who are all these cubs salary dumps you speak of? they traded veterans who were still good for young prospects. the cubs didn't have huge contracts they they had to dump on somebody.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Steve Gelbs‏ @SteveGelbs

The Mets announce their first September call ups: Jacob Rhame (Granderson trade) & Jamie Callahan (Reed trade). Both bullpen power arms.

They will be playing the outfield by the end of the first week.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Steve Gelbs‏ @SteveGelbs

The Mets announce their first September call ups: Jacob Rhame (Granderson trade) & Jamie Callahan (Reed trade). Both bullpen power arms.

They will be playing the outfield by the end of the first week.
Not Tebow. Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom