• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
White Sox and John Danks agree to a 5 year 65 million dollars extension.

Not a bad deal for the white sox. I was kind of hoping the yankees would trade for him.

jman2050

If someone took the stats of every non-Santana pitcher the Twins have employed over the past decade or so but switched the names on each statline around, would anyone even notice?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If someone took the stats of every non-Santana pitcher the Twins have employed over the past decade or so but switched the names on each statline around, would anyone even notice?
Maybe with Liriano and Scott Baker. But Jesus Christ, they really do not go outside their mold for starting pitching.

I'm praying they can draft Mark Appel.

Honestly if the Yankees would pay 75% of the salary, I'd rather the Twins trade for AJ Burnett than sign another god damn soft tossing pitcher who is going to suck shit. At least it would be interesting failure.

Let me tell you something about Piazza...

he was a gamer!
He was a baller!
An impact player!
A great game-caller!

As a catcher he shattered the mold!

Let me tell you something he wasn't:

6a00d8341cdd0d53ef014e888dd168970d-320wi

Joe

That was a really cool thing for the braves to do, new found respect! Those special needs kids probably had a blast making that Christmas video.

TheNatural

My Member!
Reds trading Travis Wood to the Cubs for Sean Marshall. I like it, this guy can be put into the closer role, he's a great reliever. And the Reds get rid of yet another wonky starter I don't have to hear about reaching his "potential" this year. Now if we can get a left fielder, I will be feeling pretty damn good.

Talon

That was a really cool thing for the braves to do, new found respect! Those special needs kids probably had a blast making that Christmas video.
It's to balance out our homophobic, racist pitching coach.

onlyinatlanta.gif?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Reds trading Travis Wood to the Cubs for Sean Marshall. I like it, this guy can be put into the closer role, he's a great reliever. And the Reds get rid of yet another wonky starter I don't have to hear about reaching his "potential" this year. Now if we can get a left fielder, I will be feeling pretty damn good.
you like trading a starter under control for 5 years for a reliever (a very good one but still a reliever) that is a FA after next season. And it looks like the Reds are adding two prospects as well. I don't like this deal for the Reds. Wood was good in 2010, i wouldn't give up on him.

TheNatural

My Member!
you like trading a starter under control for 5 years for a reliever (a very good one but still a reliever) that is a FA after next season. And it looks like the Reds are adding two prospects as well. I don't like this deal for the Reds.

I like trying to improve enough to win the division and go to the playoffs next year, yes. I like not hearing about how starter 6, 7, and 8 for the Reds depth chart are so great then come up and post 5 plus ERA's, yes. Definitely won't miss Volquez, Wood, Cordero and crew this year. The time to win is now, I'm not worried about 2014.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I like trying to improve enough to win the division and go to the playoffs next year, yes. I like not hearing about how starter 6, 7, and 8 for the Reds depth chart are so great then come up and post 5 plus ERA's, yes. Definitely won't miss Volquez, Wood, Cordero and crew this year. The time to win is now, I'm not worried about 2014.
Well, the point, as with the last Reds trade, is not that it is bad to trade away the players that they are, or that they shouldn't be acquiring the players that they are. It's that they're giving up too much value for the pieces they're acquiring. Yeah, they're trading away from positions of depth and making the team better now, but they could be making the team even better than they are. They should have been able to acquire the same players they have (Latos and Marshall) and others for all the pieces they have given up so far.

Yes, the team is better now, but Jocketty has hurt his ability to make the team even better by overbidding on the players he's acquired.

This is, again, an argument based on the assumption that this trade is actually happening. I find it difficult to believe that any GM would be willing to give up 5 years of Travis Wood and two prospects for one year of Sean Marshall. That's just bizarre.

Windu

and after these insane FA contracts for relievers this offseason, i don't think there is any chance Marshall would not test the market.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I was just thinking about that today. It would suck to lose him, and some teams might be feeling cautious about the workload he's had the last two seasons, but we could probably get a pretty sweet package for him and still have an above average bullpen.

Hopefully Wren's listening to offers.

Windu

I was just thinking about that today. It would suck to lose him, and some teams might be feeling cautious about the workload he's had the last two seasons, but we could probably get a pretty sweet package for him and still have an above average bullpen.

Hopefully Wren's listening to offers.
Wren seems to like to trade players when their value is the lowest. ahem Yunel.

Windu

Renteria for Jurrjens and Hernandez.

Never forget.
true, but that happened like a week after he became GM, i have a hard time giving him credit for that. But he may have been doing a lot of that stuff before that. I know he did all of the negotiations with Boras when he was Assistant GM.

Windu

ok, that was a sell high move. The ultimate sell high move. (of course then uggla goes and shits the bed in 2010.)

They should have been able to acquire the same players they have (Latos and Marshall) and others for all the pieces they have given up so far.

Yes, the team is better now, but Jocketty has hurt his ability to make the team even better by overbidding on the players he's acquired.
I find it funny that several posters are so sure that the Reds could've gotten more without access to insider info about what other offers were on the table or how other GMs view the players involved. You guys may very well be right in this assessment, but I'm sure the front offices are working with a lot more info then us fans have. Aside from the dreaded Mulder/Haren trade, Jocketty has a fairly decent record in the trading department so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

What the Hell? Wood looked like a talent and all they got was Marshall?

ok, that was a sell high move. The ultimate sell high move. (of course then uggla goes and shits the bed in 2010.)

I'm assuming you mean 2011. But I wouldn't call 36 home runs shitting the bed. He did exactly what he was acquired to do, although it wasn't pretty in the first three months.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What the Hell? Wood looked like a talent and all they got was Marshall?

What talent? The guy is a 4/5 starter, at best.

Guy doesn't strike anybody out, has a really high flyball rate (this is going to work so well in Wrigley) and a completely average walk rate.

I'm assuming Marshall is pegged as the closer. Trading a back of the rotation arm for 1 year of a solid closer is actually sane compared to what other teams have been doing thus far this off season.

Reds are all in this season but honestly even if it all went terribly wrong they could flip Marshall at the deadline and get something of more value than garbage rotation filler Wood.

Macattk15

I want the Blue Jays to offer the Mariners a package for Felix.

Something that sounds like ...

Lawrie, Gose, Syndergaard, Snider, Arencibia and Hutchinson

for

Felix and Miguel Olivo.

That would just be swell.

I want the Blue Jays to offer the Mariners a package for Felix.

Something that sounds like ...

Lawrie, Gose, Syndergaard, Snider, Arencibia and Hutchinson

for

Felix and Miguel Olivo.

That would just be swell.
Man, if you guys ever decided to trade Felix, what a haul you guys would receive!

Macattk15

Man, if you guys ever decided to trade Felix, what a haul you guys would receive!

As much as I love Felix and as sad as I would be to see him go .... it seems like its going to be necessary sooner or later. And god I hope its not to the Yankees and their overhyped stupid prospects.

Malo

Banned
As much as I love Felix and as sad as I would be to see him go .... it seems like its going to be necessary sooner or later. And god I hope its not to the Yankees and their overhyped stupid prospects.
You will take Jesus and you will like it.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well, the point, as with the last Reds trade, is not that it is bad to trade away the players that they are, or that they shouldn't be acquiring the players that they are. It's that they're giving up too much value for the pieces they're acquiring. Yeah, they're trading away from positions of depth and making the team better now, but they could be making the team even better than they are. They should have been able to acquire the same players they have (Latos and Marshall) and others for all the pieces they have given up so far.

This is, again, an argument based on the assumption that this trade is actually happening. I find it difficult to believe that any GM would be willing to give up 5 years of Travis Wood and two prospects for one year of Sean Marshall. That's just bizarre.

That's your opinion, but I don't think that's the case. As seen by the Braves offer to the O's that was rejected, it's not exactly low bids out there to get top players. You want a top player, you got to give up prospects, and none of the Reds prospects they've traded are even close to sure things. When you look at the numbers and what every prospect has actually accomplished, it's not like the Reds traded away the next Votto or anything.

Windu

That's your opinion, but I don't think that's the case. As seen by the Braves offer to the O's that was rejected, it's not exactly low bids out there to get top players. You want a top player, you got to give up prospects, and none of the Reds prospects they've traded are even close to sure things. When you look at the numbers and what every prospect has actually accomplished, it's not like the Reds traded away the next Votto or anything.
that rumored braves offer was bullshit, the orioles are the ones that asked for that.

Also the full asking price for jones was apparently jurrjens, Prado, and two of beachy, terehan, minor o Delgado. Lol. It doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

And Jon I posted that video at the top of the page and yes it is hilariously terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom