• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hung out with a bunch of baseball fans last night (mostly Yankee fans, unfortunately), but the first thing the one Mets fan I knew said to me about the team (after talking about TV shows for a while) was: "Do you even care about the Mets?"

we are so fucking despondent

but fuck you guys they won't lose 100 games

Maxim726X

Hung out with a bunch of baseball fans last night (mostly Yankee fans, unfortunately), but the first thing the one Mets fan I knew said to me about the team (after talking about TV shows for a while) was: "Do you even care about the Mets?"

It's gonna be awfully close, especially if ANYONE goes down to injury for a prolonged period.

Every team in the NL East has improved but the Mets... Or at least will improve, in Atlanta's case.

They lost 85 last year, they have gotten considerably worse this year, and the rest of their division has improved or at least stayed the same. I dont think they will lose 100, but 97 seems very reasonable. I wonder if Frank thinks they will compete for the division this year?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They lost 85 last year, they have gotten considerably worse this year, and the rest of their division has improved or at least stayed the same. I dont think they will lose 100, but 97 seems very reasonable. I wonder if Frank thinks they will compete for the division this year?

Dillon Gee is going to step it up and win 20 games. Justin Turner is a legitimate 2nd baseman. Ike Davis is the next Albert Pujols. Jose Reyes? Ruben Tejada is better. David Wright will remember how to not suck. And Johan Santana will make 30 for the Mets this year.

I think that covers most of Frankman's points on how the Mets will compete for the NL East this year.

Forbes.com said:
But Mets fans will not get the halo effect of surging tv fees because team owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz also own 65% of SportsNet New York (Time Warner and Comcast own the remainder), the RSN that televises Mets games. As a result of the deal that was put in place at the inception of SNY, the revenue stream from SNY to the Mets is set for at least the next 20 years, according to someone who has seen the contract, regardless of the appreciation in the value of those rights. No opt out for the baseball team here. Wilpon and Katz will enjoy a big increase in their equity value in SNY, but Mets fans will only see modest increases in television money that goes towards payroll. The New York Times reported that local broadcasting revenue, most of it from SNY, will only increase from $68 million in 2011 to $83 million in 2015.
So any increases in the value of SNY will not benefit the team. Their term cannot be changed for 20 years. However, the Wilpons and Katz equity value can go up. More money for them, the same for the team.

So any increases in the value of SNY will not benefit the team. Their term cannot be changed for 20 years. However, the Wilpons and Katz equity value can go up. More money for them, the same for the team.

What a horrible deal. I am stunned anyone would lock themselves in for 20 years. TV revenues seem to go up every single year.

What a horrible deal. I am stunned anyone would lock themselves in for 20 years. TV revenues seem to go up every single year.

They do increase but its so small. Look at what teams are getting around the league. Mets aren't even receiving close to those amounts. I like how Wilpons equity value can go up, but not the teams intake.

Sharp

They do increase but its so small. Look at what teams are getting around the league. Mets aren't even receiving close to those amounts. I like how Wilpons equity value can go up, but not the teams intake.
At least it's a better deal than the Nats have. Fucking Angelos.

Sharp

What deal do the Nats have? I would think they would have a great deal since DC is a big media market.
It's an awesome media market

And Angelos owns ALL THE NATS TV RIGHTS until like 2030, that was his condition for them moving here

I'm not bitter though, not at all Jangosucks

Clever, wasn't it? He really wanted to hamstring the Nats and make some money on the side at the same time. Perfect hedge, even if the O's tank he still wins.

No way should Bud have allowed that. MLB needs to make things like Football, where the league negoiates the deals and all teams share the money equally, and they all have to spend a certain amount.

I'm happy with the Beltran deal. It's a stop-gap for the early part of the coming season with Craig on the DL, and long-term, Beltran is a solid player. The only real concern, as has been stated, is his knee. If he keeps that a-okay I think we'll be just fine.

But, I'll be honest here, I don't trust Holliday (due to his skill/lack there of), Berkman (due to his age), Craig (due to his skill/lack there of), or Beltran (due to his age/injury-potential) in the outfield. The outfield is definitely my major concern for the Cardinal's defense.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Holliday isn't that bad of a defender at all. Love the Beltran signing mainly because he's a ton better than Craig. Holliday / Jay / Beltran is a solid OF and defensively it's a lot better then what they had going last season. There is no way they can play Beltran in CF.

McNei1y

Well I'm excited about this Gio trade. I was hoping we wouldn't give up a combo of Norris, Hood, and Cole but oh well. At least Hood's still around. I'm enjoying the trade. Hopefully he preforms as well as he has been. Maybe this means the Lerner's are going to go in and get Prince!

Sharp

Well I'm excited about this Gio trade. I was hoping we wouldn't give up a combo of Norris, Hood, and Cole but oh well. At least Hood's still around. I'm enjoying the trade. Hopefully he preforms as well as he has been. Maybe this means the Lerner's are going to go in and get Prince!
Hah.

Wow WTF did we give up, why the fuck do we do business with Beane

Holliday isn't that bad of a defender at all. Love the Beltran signing mainly because he's a ton better than Craig. Holliday / Jay / Beltran is a solid OF and defensively it's a lot better then what they had going last season. There is no way they can play Beltran in CF.

Ever since he took a fly ball to the jewels, it's hard for me to take him seriously.

Mrbob

Cubs/Reds trade details finalized. Two prospects included for the Cubs:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111222&content_id=26224714&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

Torreyes must be the key to this trade. Looks like a heck of a prospect.

Venezuelan-born Torreyes just turned 19 in September but already has parts of two seasons at Class A Dayton under his belt. In 67 games there last season, he batted .356 with a .398 on-base percentage, three home runs, 41 RBIs and 12 stolen bases.

Won't see him on the major league roster for a couple years but the team is building for the future anyway. Cubs should move Garza for prospects too.

McNei1y

Hah.

Wow WTF did we give up, why the fuck do we do business with Beane

Why didn't we just give money to Buerhle or Oswalt instead of giving up future pieces. Dumb move in the long run but I'll definitely take what we got for those players. Only ones I really cared about Norris and Cole.

But, I'll be honest here, I don't trust Holliday (due to his skill/lack there of), Berkman (due to his age), Craig (due to his skill/lack there of), or Beltran (due to his age/injury-potential) in the outfield. The outfield is definitely my major concern for the Cardinal's defense.
It really won't be any worse than last year (Beltran is probably better than Berkman in RF at least). Having Wainwright back and improving that MI defense will already make the Cards easier to watch when they're not batting. If Mozeliak can do the impossible and move Lohse or Westbrook to upgrade the back end of the rotation, it'll be a fine offseason despite losing a future HoF.

Doytch

That Marshall deal is kind of weird. I can see the need by the Reds, especially of they think Dusty permafucked Wood's arm (lol, de ja vu), but I pretty much agree with Klaw here:
Wood alone justifies this deal for the Cubs, but the chance that Torreyes becomes an everyday guy turns it into a potentially big win.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
collusion? Nah. Just negotiating. Seller starts high, buying starts low. He'll get something in the middle.

Dillon Gee is going to step it up and win 20 games. Justin Turner is a legitimate 2nd baseman. Ike Davis is the next Albert Pujols. Jose Reyes? Ruben Tejada is better. David Wright will remember how to not suck. And Johan Santana will make 30 for the Mets this year.

I think that covers most of Frankman's points on how the Mets will compete for the NL East this year.
Why don't you go flatline for the holidays?? Seriously, you can't crack on a guy trolling when you honestly say this:
Holliday isn't that bad of a defender at all.
yeah...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why don't you go flatline for the holidays?? Seriously, you can't crack on a guy trolling when you honestly say this:

yeah...

He's not.

And are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? You can at least acknowledge the Mets are already done for the year right? Mets won't win shit again until new owners are in town.

That's the thing about the Mets though, they're a never say die team. Not to mention we've got pieces like Justin Turner, Dillon Gee and Daniel Murphy to fill the holes left by the Latinos leaving the team.

He's not.

And are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? You can at least acknowledge the Mets are already done for the year right? Mets won't win shit again until new owners are in town.
a) Yes, he is. Poor jumps, inconsistent reads, and let's not even bring up his ability to catch.
b) Until losses start piling up like your two-team posts it's not over. Shit, why even play the season then? Mets should just forfeit and take the 0-162 right now.

I'm not saying the Mets are making the playoffs or anything: I'm simply stating a fact here. Despite the whole team being hurt and blowing 20+ games where they had a lead going into the 7th they actually managed to play somewhat entertaining baseball up to August. If anything, the young guys should play some interesting baseball. If you wanna pack it up before the season even starts, be my guest. I'll just give you a paraphrase of the question cajole's buds asked him "Why do you even care about the Mets then?" Just coast on dem Rays, unless you feel they're done also.
c) EDIT: 75% chance trollisay posted something sarcastic.

a) Yes, he is. Poor jumps, inconsistent reads, and let's not even bring up his ability to catch.
b) Until losses start piling up like your two-team posts it's not over. Shit, why even play the season then? Mets should just forfeit and take the 0-162 right now.

I'm not saying the Mets are making the playoffs or anything: I'm simply stating a fact here. Despite the whole team being hurt and blowing 20+ games where they had a lead going into the 7th they actually managed to play somewhat entertaining baseball up to August. If anything, the young guys should play some interesting baseball. If you wanna pack it up before the season even starts, be my guest. I'll just give you a paraphrase of the question cajole's buds asked him "Why do you even care about the Mets then?" Just coast on dem Rays, unless you feel they're done also.
c) EDIT: 75% chance trollisay posted something sarcastic.
And from this lowpoint, wenever the team does reach the high again, how awesome a feeling that will be!

And from this lowpoint, wenever the team does reach the high again, how awesome a feeling that will be!
Can't really get any lower at this point. I can't wait to see the guys like Kirk Niewenhuis, Reese Havens, and Jeurys Familia in the majors. Kirk will start the season in AAA and should be in NY by July/August. Havens might have a shot to come up this year, Familia might be a longshot for 2012 though.

Maxim726X

Can't really get any lower at this point. I can't wait to see the guys like Kirk Niewenhuis, Reese Havens, and Jeurys Familia in the majors. Kirk will start the season in AAA and should be in NY by July/August. Havens might have a shot to come up this year, Familia might be a longshot for 2012 though.

Sandy hinted at Harvey being up sometime this season, as well.

At least there's that.

Sanjuro

Yankees are finally done. Finished. The team is full of overpaid trash and they have no sense of leadership. That being said, they will finish with 90+ wins and claim the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom