• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

IMG_0249.jpg

I be stylin'

Daps. Got one too, but it's a 7 3/4 that I need to swap for a 7 3/8. Also got a Lawrie T. :)

In the article i was reading the bastards mentioned him :/
I wish to erase that day from my memory.

It really is amazing what happened after that game. Before that game, the Pirates were in first place and they really looked like they had emerged. People were already giving Clint Hurdle the NL Manager of the Year award. Then it just tanked. Even the Pirates were buyers at the deadline, getting Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick for practically nothing. Not even close to what the Giants gave up for two months of Carlos Beltran.

The Pirates immediately dumped Lyle Overbay for Lee. Of course, Lee and Ludwick both get injured and Overbay goes back to the Diamdondbacks, where he proceeds to destroy everything pitched at him.

Incredible stuff.

Even as a Braves fan, I felt really dirty after that game. Of course, watch Nate McLouth remember how to hit 30 home runs now. Prick.

McNei1y

The new A's stadium should require us to call them the San Jos-A's...... thank you ill be here all night.

In other news what's the deal with Prince taking so long!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The new A's stadium should require us to call them the San Jos-A's...... thank you ill be here all night.

In other news what's the deal with Prince taking so long!

He's the last premiere name on the market, might as well hold out and see if any teams get jumpy and up their offers.

bryehn

Got some new Jays gear too, but really wanted the 3930 BP cap. So far it's seemingly unavailable outside of jaysshop.com.

Doytch

Got some new Jays gear too, but really wanted the 3930 BP cap. So far it's seemingly unavailable outside of jaysshop.com.
Is it a lighter blue? Kinda looks it from the website... Can't wait to exchange mine tomorrow (and blow whatever $$$ I didn't throw down at Club Monaco's sweet-ass Boxing Day sale).

Bob Costas is on Clubhouse Confidential right now and he... doesn't know what he's talking about w/r/t sabremetrics. Almost old-man-yells-at-cloud level. That's disappointing.

Nothing beats Mitch Williams' legendary rant during a Braves/Reds FOX game about how catching fly balls with two hands is stupid and unneccesary after Fred Lewis dropped a routine flyball in right field.

I mean he said one area where he disagrees with sabremetrics is that it says a .280 hitter would likely get 28 hits in 100 at-bats at any point in the season.

The Mets contacted R.A. Dickey and asked him not to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. Dickey said, "No thx" and is still going to do it.

At least he's not attempting to climb both peaks.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Nothing beats Mitch Williams' legendary rant during a Braves/Reds FOX game about how catching fly balls with two hands is stupid and unneccesary after Fred Lewis dropped a routine flyball in right field.
well it was unnecessary for Mitch Williams. I'm sure he just pointed at the ball and ran away hoping one of his infielders caught it.

No, but we broke the normal format of the show. So there's always a concern about alienating return viewers.

well it's pretty insulting to hear him say that he has doubts about Jeff Bagwell going into the hall of fame because of some "integrity" bullshit but turns around and says Tim Raines deserves to go in knowing full well the man was busted for cocaine. extremely inconsistent.

then Edgar Martinez shouldn't go in because of what? he's a DH??? really? Costas is still stuck in the damn 50s and I just can't fathom why anyone thinks he has any knowledge on baseball.

Gruco

Banned
I remember going into this discussion a couple years ago, but I don't think the downside of being a career DH should be dismissed quite so easily. There's definitely a case to discount Martinez pretty heavily for that. I mean, I am not saying Costas manage to make it, but regardless.

Posnanski put his yes votes up today, and it's a pretty decent ballot (Bags, Larkin, Trammell, EMar, Raines, McGwire, Murphy, Walker) with the caveat that he has a "big hall of fame" philosophy. I honestly think Bags, Larkin, Trammell, and Raines have the strongest cases in this crowd (McGwire too depending on your take on steroids).

eznark

Banned
It sounds like the Brewers aren't terribly serious about signing the Japanese outfielder whose name currently escapes me.

Doytch

Hall of Fame ballot time is my least favourite part of the season, alongside awards time and the last three weeks of spring training.

The New York Mets have asked R.A. Dickey not to make his charity climb of Mount Kilimanjaro. However, Dickey still plans on going, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Though trips up Kilimanjaro almost never result in death or are even that dangerous, the Mets have sent Dickey a letter saying they can void his contract if anything bad happens.

Mets blog

Mets Looking for more information on your Mets? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

"If we thought it was a good idea, we wouldn't have sent the letter," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told the Journal. "Beyond that, have we tried to dissuade him from going? It seems to me that the letter is enough of an effort to dissuade him, and he intends to go on nonetheless."

On Tuesday, a Mets public relations person confirmed that Dickey is still planning to make the trip shortly after the new year, but said that Alderson will not elaborate further on the Mets' viewpoint. A message has been left for Dickey's agent.

Dickey, 37, is hoping to raise awareness and money for the Bombay Teen Challenge, which fights human trafficking.

Dickey has one-year left on his $7.8M, two-year contract. He is scheduled to make $4.5 million in 2012.

As a Mets fan I'm torn. On one hand maybe our #1 starter may find, in a moment of Zen, a way to get past the 5th inning, but on the other I what am i going to do with the indian bridesmaids in my basement what to do.

eznark

Banned
As a Mets fan I'm torn. On one hand maybe our #1 starter may find, in a moment of Zen, a way to get past the 5th inning, but on the other I what am i going to do with the indian bridesmaids in my basement what to do.

How are you stoned already? It's 11 oclock!

#3 starter, i was exaggerating.

Mike Pelfrey 0.2
Dillon Gee 0.1
RA. Dickey 0.0
Jonathan Niese 0.0
Chris Capuano -0.2

2010 just saying:

Oliver Perez 0.0

Slots in at that 5 spot perfectly

No, but we broke the normal format of the show. So there's always a concern about alienating return viewers.

Oh I wasn't like "WTF IS BOB COSTAS DOING ON HERE", I mean, it's Bob Costas! It would seem like a fine idea for an interview episode. I was just shaking my head at some of his statements. And Brian Kenny was correcting him as much as he could.

I like the show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom