• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Mets fan I'm torn. On one hand maybe our #1 starter may find, in a moment of Zen, a way to get past the 5th inning, but on the other I what am i going to do with the indian bridesmaids in my basement what to do.

Kilimanjaro rarely resulting in deaths is irrelevant, anyway. Does anyone think Mets history can actually avoid the footnote "once lost a pitcher who died climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro"?

verbum

Interesting article on a potential middle relief guy for the Braves. Not much money spent and a chance to get a nice return on the investment.

During the next several weeks we'll be presenting reviews of the lesser known players who will be in Atlanta Braves spring training camp in 2012: the non-roster invitees, or NRIs. We'll look at their career path to this point, and see what kind of chance they have of making the Braves opening day roster.

First up is one of the more intriguing bullpen options for the Braves, reliever Jason Rice. Selected by the White Sox in the eleventh round of the 2005 draft out of a California community college where he was primarily a catcher, Chicago converted him to a pitcher, but he went largely unnoticed for much of his early minor league career. He was drafted in the minor league phase of Rule 5 draft by the Red Sox in 2008. Boston moved him to a full-time relief role, and let him close games quite a bit between double-A and triple-A in 2010 and 2011.

At the end of last season it got a little weird for Rice, as he went through four organizations in the span of several months. The Red Sox swapped him in an August 31st waiver trade with the A's for corner utility guy Conor Jackson. Rice was called up to the Majors with the A's the very next day, but didn't appear in a game before Oakland tried to sneak him through waivers, only to lose him to the Indians five days later. Of course, either team could have claimed Rice when the Red Sox put him on waivers in September. The Indians didn't keep Rice in the Majors, optioning him to triple-A, then designating him for assignment after the season. He opted to become a free agent. That's when the Braves signed him in mid-November....

In addition to a solid mid-90s four-seam fastball, Rice mixes in a good two-seam fastball and cutter and a low-70s curve ball for show. He works mainly off his fastball, and brings an aggressive approach on the mound -- he wants the ball when the game is on the line.
A player to keep track of and see if he can pan out in MLB.
http://www.talkingchop.com/2011/12/26/2661677/braves-nri-in-depth-jason-rice#comments

It sounds like the Brewers aren't terribly serious about signing the Japanese outfielder whose name currently escapes me.

Aoki is probably going to start declining more in the coming years, as is no spring chicken, anyway.

What is the news on Braun? I haven't heard anything since the rabblerabble of the first few days.

Beltran called the Yanks allowing them to match the Cards offer so he can join them. They said no thank you. Second time Beltran has done this. Before signing with the Mets, he told Yanks he would sign for less money to play with them. 0-2!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Beltran called the Yanks allowing them to match the Cards offer so he can join them. They said no thank you. Second time Beltran has done this. Before signing with the Mets, he told Yanks he would sign for less money to play with them. 0-2!

Are the Yankees seriously that broke? Why would they say no? Personally I think Beltran signed the most team friendly deal any FA signed this offseason.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oakland also gets Miles Head, 20-year-old 3B, and Raul Alcantera, 19-year-old pitcher. (via Buster)

Bailey + Sweeney for Reddick + Head + Alcantera

h3ro

Experimental procedure? In Germany?

A9h60.jpg

Yes please.

Malo

Banned
Are the Yankees seriously that broke? Why would they say no? Personally I think Beltran signed the most team friendly deal any FA signed this offseason.
There is no position for him on the team unless they trade Swisher.

I like the Bailey trade for both teams.

Doytch

Joe Sheehan mentioned something interesting on the fan 590 yesterday: three years for fielder would be retarded, but why not take a one year deal? Take $28-30 for one year, and go back to FA in his prime, with more teams looking for a 1b.

Honestly though, never underestimate Boras. I saw an article today calling Madson a FA loser and how one team will get a bargain with him....uhhh, no, not seeing it.

BFIB

I could see Fielder taking a one year deal.

Apparently, he had Matt Holliday ready to take the same type of deal, a one year deal, that got him back on the market. Eventually, he decided against it (I'm sure his wife had a say), and they quickly worked out a deal with St. Louis.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i would think it would have to be something like 1y 30+ with a ntc, It would definitely have to break the record for a yearly salary to provide that ego boost etc.. Arod was paid 33 mil in 2010.

Type A & B Free Agents still available:

Type A
-- P Francisco Cordero
-- 1B Prince Fielder
-- P Ryan Madson
-- P Darren Oliver
-- P Roy Oswalt

Type B
-- 3B Wilson Betemit
-- OF Pat Burrell
-- P Shawn Camp
-- DH Vladimir Guerrero
-- OF Raul Ibanez
-- P Edwin Jackson
-- P Hiroki Kuroda
-- 1B Derrek Lee
-- P Brad Lidge
-- OF Ryan Ludwick
-- OF Magglio Ordonez
-- 1B Carlos Pena
-- OF Juan Pierre
-- P Arthur Rhodes
-- OF Cody Ross
-- C Chris Snyder
-- C Jason Varitek
-- P Dan Wheeler
-- P Kerry Wood

As we still wait for a historic contract to be finalized, one thing is for certain: Albert Pujols will be back on the Cardinals payroll in 2020.

And he'll still be on the Cardinals payroll on his 49th birthday.

In the 2020 season, Pujols will be 40 years old and in the 9th year of his 10-year, $254 million deal with the Angels.

Pujols' previous 8-year, $116 million deal with the Cardinals called for $3 million of his yearly salary from 2007-2011 to be deferred without interest.

Pujols will be paid $1.2 million a year by the Cardinals from 2020 through 2029.

Type A & B Free Agents still available:

Type A
-- P Francisco Cordero
-- 1B Prince Fielder
-- P Ryan Madson
-- P Darren Oliver
-- P Roy Oswalt

Type B
-- 3B Wilson Betemit
-- OF Pat Burrell
-- P Shawn Camp
-- DH Vladimir Guerrero
-- OF Raul Ibanez
-- P Edwin Jackson
-- P Hiroki Kuroda
-- 1B Derrek Lee
-- P Brad Lidge
-- OF Ryan Ludwick
-- OF Magglio Ordonez
-- 1B Carlos Pena
-- OF Juan Pierre
-- P Arthur Rhodes
-- OF Cody Ross
-- C Chris Snyder
-- C Jason Varitek
-- P Dan Wheeler
-- P Kerry Wood

I'll take D Lee for a discount. Better power than Loney...

Windu

yeah i bet wheeler could be had for a little cheaper because of the ERA he posted with the Red Sox. His SEIRA was a full run lower than his ERA last season, in line with his seasons with the Rays, good reliever. The Mets would have to give up a pick though, not sure how Sandy would feel about that. And its not like the Mets are going to compete so they would trade him at the deadline. So you need to get at least the value of a draft pick back for him for the deal to make sense.
I'll take D Lee for a discount. Better power than Loney...
similar players and lee probably can't play for a full season. Plus you have to give up a pick for him. Sounds like a move the dodgers would make.

I feel like Carlos Pena makes a lot of sense for Brewers. Power guy who can paick it at first. Replace some of the HRs lost by Prince leaving. They should talk to the Natinals for Todd Coffey to replace the weight.

Fenix

i was under the impression that had not started yet.
I think it has, there was discussion that Kelly Johnson was less likely to accept arbitration after the new CBA since the signing team would not have to give up a pick, but then he accepted anyways.

Windu

that is what the cba apparently said, not sure if that means at the start of the year though. But there was that thing with everyone laughing at the phillies for signing papelbon early though, so maybe it has started.
Some people had been pushed into the new CBA, some haven't. I didn't think Wheeler had been.

RBH

It has not taken baseball star Alex Rodriguez long to get over his split from movie star Cameron Diaz.

The 36-year-old slugger is now believed to be getting to grips with former WWE star Torrie Wilson.

A woman who appeared to be the blonde grappler was spotted holidaying with Rodriguez as he spent time with his friend George Clooney in Cabo San Lucas in Mexico.

George's girlfriend Stacy Keibler and Torrie, 36 are best friends, so it makes sense the foursome would hook-up for some Christmas holidays fun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...WWE-star-Torrie-Wilson.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

article-2080084-0F4BA05A00000578-716_468x752.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom