• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

I thought there was a SLIM chance we'd give him a 1 year deal to give him time to find a team looking to sign him to a long term deal but this... I know that this will probably make our defense worse if Cabrera goes back to third, I know it's a lot of money and a lot of years to ANYONE... but frankly I don't care, this is an amazing move to make that shows a lot of guts.

I thought there was a SLIM chance we'd give him a 1 year deal to give him time to find a team looking to sign him to a long term deal but this... I know that this will probably make our defense worse if Cabrera goes back to third, I know it's a lot of money and a lot of years to ANYONE... but frankly I don't care, this is an amazing move to make that shows a lot of guts.

You should never care. It is stupid to worry about what is going to happen 9 years from now. Sign guys that help you win now, and let whatever happens later happen. The Tigers should turn down a move that makes them WS favorites because 9 years for now that guy will suck?

Gaborn

You should never care. It is stupid to worry about what is going to happen 9 years from now. Sign guys that help you win now, and let whatever happens later happen. The Tigers should turn down a move that makes them WS favorites because 9 years for now that guy will suck?

It's not that, I wanted the Tigers to make a strong push for Cespedes but now I seriously doubt we're going to have the budget to be in there, though if Illitch wants to do that... I mean, I generally don't like the Yankees but if they make a move you KNOW they can afford to make another one. I'm not sure how much cash Drombrowski will have to play with now.

I mean, this changes everything. I LOVE the Fielder move but it's a trade off at other positions unless we REALLY want to break the bank.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Tigers should turn down a move that makes them WS favorites
Are you sure about that? The AL is going to be stacked this year. The Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays are all really dangerous. Sigh. It's going to be a really long season. And here I'd gotten myself all excited for baseball...

eznark

Banned
Are you sure about that? The AL is going to be stacked this year. The Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays are all really dangerous. Sigh. It's going to be a really long season. And here I'd gotten myself all excited for baseball...

Yeah, I'd still probably make them third at best.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Just reading that got me all hot and bothered to start the season!

At least they are right there in the running. They were close last year and I think they will be better this year. Angles are definitely better this year, not sure about the other AL teams, Rangers are better if Yu is good but we will have to wait to see how he does.

BFIB

The Tigers should be a lock for the Al Central, but the entire AL is just insane.

Good luck w/ that Astros.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'd still probably make them third at best.
I'm hoping this ends like the last time the Tigers were supposed to be a lock for a zillion runs and a zillion wins. I think that was the year they traded for Cabrera?

Just reading that got me all hot and bothered to start the season!
I just don't want to watch the Twins get their skull caved in all year again.

eznark

Banned
I can't believe they already found a hat to fit him

Mf50C.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
NL Central:

Reds add Latos, Marshall, Madson
Brewers lose Fielder, Braun suspended half the year
Cards lose LaRussa, Pujols, and Dave Duncan

This is our year Reds fans, playoff bound baby.

Oozer3993

Due to a quirk in Dominican Republic law, the Indians will be required to sign the real Fausto Carmona. Real Fausto will go 22-5 and win the Cy Young. Grady Sizemore will hit 40 homeruns, win a Gold Glove, and be named Sexiest Man Alive by 13 different publications. Lonnie Chisenhall will be batting .200 until the All Star break, at which point he will legally change his name to Bruce Fightmaster Chisenhall. He'll hit .400 from then on out. Matt LaPorta will inexplicably stop being a fungus. It's gonna happen!

P.S. Like father, like son!

tdQeZ.jpg

You forgot the Mariners.

I wish.

RBH

It's time for Jon's Page-a-Day Trivia Extravaganza!

This is probably the hardest question yet. I am tempted to give you clues, but I'm curious to see if anyone can get this, because I sure as hell didn't.

Question 11:

Toby Harrah would have been eligible for an All-Palindrome Team. How many more players would qualify?

Good fucking luck.

Brinbe

Wow, that is a huge difference from the Rauch/Frank shit-fest we dealt with for much of last season. No complaints there.

TheNatural

My Member!
Less than a third of the season.

I still think the Reds finish third in the division.

It's still a significant amount, plus no Fielder. I think the Duncan loss for STL is underrated, he was turning their trash pitchers into gems for years.

If the Reds can stay healthy and guys like Rolen and Arroyo can at least play somewhat respectable, I think the division is theirs to take.

eznark

Banned
It's still a significant amount, plus no Fielder. I think the Duncan loss for STL is underrated, he was turning their trash pitchers into gems for years.

If the Reds can stay healthy and guys like Rolen and Arroyo can at least play somewhat respectable, I think the division is theirs to take.

Braun hurts a lot, but less than a third of the season is still only a couple wins. The Brewers got significantly better on the left side of the infield. If they can stay healthy this year, I think they are still pushing 85-90 wins. Hell, losing Braun and Fielder...they'll have the best defense in the league for the first 50 games!

TheNatural

My Member!
Braun hurts a lot, but less than a third of the season is still only a couple wins. The Brewers got significantly better on the left side of the infield. If they can stay healthy this year, I think they are still pushing 85-90 wins. Hell, losing Braun and Fielder...they'll have the best defense in the league for the first 50 games!

You think losing your top two offensive weapons only amounts to a couple wins? I think with the offense taking a nosedive in the division it helps the Reds more than anything else. With no Braun for the start, Fielder, and Pujols, who exactly is the biggest offensive weapon not on the Reds?

eznark

Banned
You think losing your top two offensive weapons only amounts to a couple wins? I think with the offense taking a nosedive in the division it helps the Reds more than anything else. With no Braun for the start, Fielder, and Pujols, who exactly is the biggest offensive weapon not on the Reds?

No, I think as a whole they lose a couple of wins. Like I said, they went from essentially negative WAR on the left side of the field to having ARam and Gonzalez. That's a massive upgrade. That doesn't speak necessarily to how good they are, but to how much the Brewers were able to accomplish with players who had literally negative impact on their chance to win games.

Adding Aoki to that outfield for 50 games also helps to dampen the impact of Braun being out just because it (should) make their defense amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom