• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Ok, it's time for the answer of the trivia question.

The answer...is 3. Robb Nen, Truck Hannah and Mark Salas.

Pretty frustrating...where are the medium level questions?

it should never leave NFL

Agreed. It looks out of place in other threads.

Back to baseball, I think the Brewers are going to be right around the same record this year. I think ARam is going to put up huge numbers in that park, and I expect their pitching to be better this year.

eznark

Banned
Agreed. It looks out of place in other threads.

Back to baseball, I think the Brewers are going to be right around the same record this year. I think ARam is going to put up huge numbers in that park, and I expect their pitching to be better this year.

Pretty much how I feel. Purely looking at WAR (dumb but good frame of reference), ARam and Gonzalez offset Fielder. That's without anyone playing first. Hopefully Gamel is not a net negative. If that's the case, the Brewers actually come out ahead.

Now if Braun is out, that obviously hurts a ton, but again by WAR, it's about 2 losses.

The Cardinals are still very good, but they didn't get better. Wainwright will make up for a lot of that Pujols loss. The Reds significantly improved their bullpen, but I think Latos is going to get torched in that park and they didn't address their biggest issue, outfield bats. A healthy Cozart could be the key to them winning the division. Cubs/Pirate/Astros...lol

I like the Brewers chances.

Sharp

Glad to hear the Nats didn't sign Prince... I was never hugely in favor of signing a DH to a long-term deal, plus first is actually a position of vague strength for us.

TheNatural

My Member!
Pretty much how I feel. Purely looking at WAR (dumb but good frame of reference), ARam and Gonzalez offset Fielder. That's without anyone playing first. Hopefully Gamel is not a net negative. If that's the case, the Brewers actually come out ahead.

Now if Braun is out, that obviously hurts a ton, but again by WAR, it's about 2 losses.

The Cardinals are still very good, but they didn't get better. Wainwright will make up for a lot of that Pujols loss. The Reds significantly improved their bullpen, but I think Latos is going to get torched in that park and they didn't address their biggest issue, outfield bats. A healthy Cozart could be the key to them winning the division. Cubs/Pirate/Astros...lol

I like the Brewers chances.

SMH. That's why WAR means jack shit.

Kuroyume

Banned
They better hope he loses like 50 lbs or something like that. I'm tempted to say 100 but I don't know how much he weighs. I have a feeling he's only going to be fatter years from now. That's the only reason I can think of as to why he lasted so long in FA.

eznark

Banned
SMH. That's why WAR means jack shit.

The point isn't that those two are as good as Fielder. It's that their marginal value above the guys they are replacing (McGehee and Yuni) is about equal to the marginal value of Fielder.

It's poor as a predictor, but it's useful as a comparison tool. It certainly doesn't mean "jack shit"

TheNatural

My Member!
The point isn't that those two are as good as Fielder. It's that their marginal value above the guys they are replacing (McGehee and Yuni) is about equal to the marginal value of Fielder.

It's poor as a predictor, but it's useful as a comparison tool. It certainly doesn't mean "jack shit"

Well the Reds had Alex Gonzalez before. The last time the guy was in the NL Central he had a negative WAR and was crap. His best year was right after he left and then fell off last year, and chances are, he's probably going to fall off a little more. I think putting any stock in this guy is a little silly, and then combining him with Ramirez as a huge improvement? Both these guys could just as easy not do jack shit the entire year. Aramis had a negative WAR two years ago. They're wildcard players you don't know what you can get out of, like just about every other team is struggling with. That's a long ways from replacing Fielder.

eznark

Banned
Well the Reds had Alex Gonzalez before. The last time the guy was in the NL Central he had a negative WAR and was crap. His best year was right after he left and then fell off last year, and chances are, he's probably going to fall off a little more. I think putting any stock in this guy is a little silly, and then combining him with Ramirez as a huge improvement? Both these guys could just as easy not do jack shit the entire year. Aramis had a negative WAR two years ago. They're wildcard players you don't know what you can get out of, like just about every other team is struggling with. That's a long ways from replacing Fielder.

Well yes, that's why they play the games. If they play at their five most recent year average, they are a significant improvement over what the Brewers had.

I definitely don't see the loss of Fielder as in any way catastrophic.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well yes, that's why they play the games. If they play at their five most recent year average, they are a significant improvement over what the Brewers had.

I definitely don't see the loss of Fielder as in any way catastrophic.

Well hopefully the same could be said of Ryan Ludwick doing what he did when he was last with Jocketty. I think it's asking a lot from a journeyman short and a troubled third basemen who can be his own worst enemy though. For the first 50 games there's not going to be a lot of respect or protection for that lineup.

eznark

Banned
Well hopefully the same could be said of Ryan Ludwick doing what he did when he was last with Jocketty. I think it's asking a lot from a journeyman short and a troubled third basemen who can be his own worst enemy though. For the first 50 games there's not going to be a lot of respect or protection for that lineup.

Yup, they will definitely be riding their excellent pitching staff and ridiculous bullpen until Braun is back.

bluemax

Banned
The AL All Star Ballot for first base is gonna be insane this year:

Texeira
Pujols
Fielder
Gonzalez

Sucks to be Paul Konerko!

Ok, it's time for the answer of the trivia question.

The answer...is 3. Robb Nen, Truck Hannah and Mark Salas.

Pretty frustrating...where are the medium level questions?

Bah!

Toby Harrah!

Dave Otto!

Robb Nen's dad, Dick!

...but yeah, this was a crazy-ass question. Where are these coming from?

bryehn

Tiger fans, welcome your savior!

9B3Yd.jpg

What's funny is that New Era just bought all the old/terrible Zubaz designs and is releasing gear based on it :O

http://shop.neweracap.com/nshop/product.php?view=keyword&keywords=zubaz

Madtown_

Just got home, heard the news.
Congrats to Fielder and Detroit, though 9 years is a long time. Best of luck to both of them.

Brewers should be fine next year, I agree. McGehee was atrocious, and that will be improved, but 1B is a wildcard. Hopefully Gamel(/Hart sometimes?) do a good job, and who knows about Braun. No shortage of depth out there, though.

The comments from Doug Melvin about Fielder were pretty nice I thought.

The Fielder acquisition better produce some huge results for the Tigers. Cause if not, I'm gonna laughing my head off til the cows come home

Barring injury, Beltran and Berkman should function well enough to provide the mythical lineup protection. Never mind the fact that Holliday typically batted behind Pujols instead of the other way around.

Holliday's raw offensive production may have declined but so did offensive stats around the league. Looking at league relative stats (100 is average, higher is better):

OPS+

2011 - 153
2010 - 149
2009 - 139
2008 - 138

wRC+

2011 - 154
2010 - 149
2009 - 141
2008 - 146

Koji Uehara exercised his limited no-trade clause to block a trade that would have sent him from the Rangers to the Blue Jays. Uehara's no-trade clause allows him to block trades to six teams. The Blue Jays are one of them. After hearing word of Uehara's block, the Blue Jays signed Francisco Cordero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom