• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions about the Show league and fantasy baseball in general. How often do you guys do games in the Show league, are the Phils spoken for? I would love to get in on the league but my gaming time is pretty limited due to work. Also how does fantasy baseball work? Do you have to set a lineup every night like you do in fantasy hockey, do you get a total number of games played for each position?

Sanjuro

I have a few questions about the Show league and fantasy baseball in general. How often do you guys do games in the Show league, are the Phils spoken for? I would love to get in on the league but my gaming time is pretty limited due to work. Also how does fantasy baseball work? Do you have to set a lineup every night like you do in fantasy hockey, do you get a total number of games played for each position?

Usually it's three games in the span of a week, but that might change depending on admin franchise options.

Sanjuro

I thought we had something special. :(

Well, your Jays are taken. You should take control of a team with a bird mascot.

acheron_xl doesn't have the Brewers. He should field a team with a drunk sexual predator, so either the Padres or whatever team Derek Lowe is playing for.

Doytch

I thought we had something special. :(
I know you're semi-joking, but we've always had issues with getting people who flake out and shit. After multiple seasons we'd rather just roll with people who respect the fact that for a bunch of us, this is the only online play we do. Three games in a week is pretty easy for me to get in, even given the fact that I never pass up RL social shit to play a vidja game.

@yankeehater: Yeah, if you play fantasy hockey the nuts and bolts of it are pretty much the same. Innings and games played limits, and we generally allow daily lineup/roster changes rather than forcing you to set it once for a week [though I'd kind of prefer that for our H2H league this year].

@cajole: You planning on setting it up again this year, or you have enough shit with your nerdgasm keeper league?

Also, before I forget, is there a pick-six GAF "league"? Messed around with it a bit last year and had fun.

Oh shits btw, I'll be on vacation for a couple weeks end of May [biking the French Riveria and doing Cannes, fuckerrrrrrs], you think the test league will be over by then Sanjuro? I don't even know when The Show comes out...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Well, your Jays are taken. You should take control of a team with a bird mascot.

acheron_xl doesn't have the Brewers. He should field a team with a drunk sexual predator, so either the Padres or whatever team Derek Lowe is playing for.

Haha.

I know you're semi-joking, but we've always had issues with getting people who flake out and shit. After multiple seasons we'd rather just roll with people who respect the fact that for a bunch of us, this is the only online play we do. Three games in a week is pretty easy for me to get in, even given the fact that I never pass up RL social shit to play a vidja game.

Oh I know what you mean. I'm pretty much the same, I got a ridiculous backlog of games but never play them due to social activities and so forth.

But like I said if you are desperate for people gimme a shout, doesn't matter to me what team I'm using. I just like an excuse to have to turn on the video games every once in a while.

Although I will say the only time I'd flake is if I'm constantly playing against the CPU. I see that as more a waste of time and would rather sim games then actually play it. I'd rather lose big to a human opponent then win/lose against the CPU.

Sanjuro

The test league doesn't need to run it's course, so it can be killed at any point. Primary point of it is for us who purchase the game right away to get some games in, get a feel for online, and see if there are any issues with the online franchise.

Kave, there is room for you.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The test league doesn't need to run it's course, so it can be killed at any point. Primary point of it is for us who purchase the game right away to get some games in, get a feel for online, and see if there are any issues with the online franchise.

Kave, there is room for you.

Sweet, looks like I got some boning up to do on MLB.

I think my buddy has 09 or 10, may go borrow it from him to prep myself.

I've never been there, but isn't Pittsburgh these days actually nice?

I have a friend that lives in Pittsburgh now and he always complains that there isnt much going on. I am surprised that so many players are spurning them, it sounds like they are finally trying to turn things around and now they cant.

jakncoke

Banned
Whatever secret you guys are talking about was probably told when i was too annoyed/depressed about the Pirates to bother entering this thread

bryehn

Just got an e-mail from MLB about MLB.TV...

They're giving away the At Bat app for free this year and you can get MiLB.TV for an extra 20 bucks...

BUT it looks like they took away the monthly sub option :(

I already get a ton of games on TV, but used to get a month sub just to watch Spring Training games. This sucks, radio only for me this year I guess.

Ooooh, Xbox 360 better have that radio audio overlay.

But if it needs a Gold account for it, forget it - I'll just hook up my laptop via HDMI again.

RBH

img_screencap_xbox.jpg

MLB.TV (MLB Advanced Media). Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Press/Archive/2011/1207-The-Future-of-TV-Begins-Now-on-Xbox-360

Now we just need Sunday Ticket on the 360 too.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Price increase /booo

I shall wait till late march to get it, maybe by then there will be a deal. And I bet that xbox client requires a live account, so much for that.

edit: don't see any new features

eznark

Banned
Since I'm getting the apps for free it is a significant decrease for me, which is rad. Now I'll have like 9 ways to watch it at my house!

Mosaic on mobile devices and Roku is new.

Jangocube

Banned
O's just made a decent signing

Don Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Luis Ayala will earn $925,000 in his deal with the Orioles and the contract also includes a $1 million club option for 2013.
Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio has reported the same details. The contract will be finalized after the right-hander passes a physical. It's not a bad deal for the O's after Ayala posted a fine year for the Yankees in 2011, holding a 2.09 ERA in 52 appearances. He'll help set up for Jim Johnson.

Former Yankee =( But whatever, we need any pitching help we can get.

Typically, At Bat is $15. Gameday Audio is $20. Which is kind of dumb, because At Bat includes all the same audio feeds (and all the other cool stuff about At Bat) for $5 cheaper.

I don't know who Gameday Audio is for, except maybe people who don't have an Android/iOs device at all. Or people who for whatever reason want to tune in on their web browser instead.

Doytch

Looks like Ps3/device MLB.tv is only for Premium? Meh, factoring in the $15 at-bat cost, I guess I'll get Premium this season.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Typically, At Bat is $15. Gameday Audio is $20. Which is kind of dumb, because At Bat includes all the same audio feeds (and all the other cool stuff about At Bat) for $5 cheaper.

I don't know who Gameday Audio is for, except maybe people who don't have an Android/iOs device at all. Or people who for whatever reason want to tune in on their web browser instead.
I'd like to do both. If I get At Bat can I log in on my web browser? At work I can listen through my computer, so it's really not a big issue.

Gameday Audio is included in the "Twins Territory Team" thing I sign up for every year. It's the same $20, so I'll probably just sign up for that. But I dunno.

turnbuckle

I rather have five consistent players do a league than do a full league of thirty teams consisting of a few GAF'ers and a bunch of random weeaboos. It's hard enough as it is.

Currently we've got,

Sanjuro
Dmncnby2k9
eznark
Doytch
turnbuckle
McNei1y
Frankman
acheron_xl
Duane Cunningham
darkside

That is ten. I'm sure there will be a few more to come closer to launch day, but I'm not going to grab random people for the sake of filling random teams.

Agreed. I mean, I'd rather have 30 consistent players than 5 but that just ain't happening. Setting up a 30 team league pretty much guarantees it'll fail. Hell, even with a group of reliable guys stuff can still come up. It'd be nice to recruit a few people who pan out and overtime we get a bigger stable of people, but stuffing the league with a bunch of newcomers is asking for trouble.

Of course, everyone has to start somewhere so I wouldn't want to just rule people out because it's their first time. After all, we're just trying to have fun and play ball...but anyone who's showing interest needs to really be able to commit. Every time there's a no-show, that's someone else's plans that get messed up too. After a few do this then the whole league falls apart and we do this whole thing over next year.

How about the Tigers or Rangers? One has a drunk, the other an on again-off again addict. Don't know how rapey they are though.

eznark

Banned
Agreed. I mean, I'd rather have 30 consistent players than 5 but that just ain't happening. Setting up a 30 team league pretty much guarantees it'll fail. Hell, even with a group of reliable guys stuff can still come up. It'd be nice to recruit a few people who pan out and overtime we get a bigger stable of people, but stuffing the league with a bunch of newcomers is asking for trouble.

Of course, everyone has to start somewhere so I wouldn't want to just rule people out because it's their first time. After all, we're just trying to have fun and play ball...but anyone who's showing interest needs to really be able to commit. Every time there's a no-show, that's someone else's plans that get messed up too. After a few do this then the whole league falls apart and we do this whole thing over next year.

You set it up as a 30 team league with hard advances. Advances happen on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 3pm EST. Guys play when they can. If they duck for more than a day the individual available plays the CPU. If the game isn't played it is simmed.

Simple. The people who care will play their games. The people who don't...don't matter. We start it with as few games as possible in year one. Guys that play fewer than 80% of their games without sufficient reason are dropped from the league until MLB13. Season two starts with probably 17-ish teams.

turnbuckle

You set it up as a 30 team league with hard advances. Advances happen on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 3pm EST. Guys play when they can. If they duck for more than a day the individual available plays the CPU. If the game isn't played it is simmed.

Simple. The people who care will play their games. The people who don't...don't matter. We start it with as few games as possible in year one. Guys that play fewer than 80% of their games without sufficient reason are dropped from the league until MLB13. Season two starts with probably 17-ish teams.

Sounds good to me.

How about the Tigers or Rangers? One has a drunk, the other an on again-off again addict. Don't know how rapey they are though.

I've got the Tigers, but I don't think anyone has claimed the Indians, Pirates, or Padres. :p
Wonder how Detroit is gonna be ranked this year. I remember after some injuries they were ranked 24 in 2010. I like to pretend that season never happened.

Sanjuro

At least me personally, I have zero interest in playing the CPU in an online league. We can tinker with it in the test run. Probably the biggest problem is going to be the admin options. They always seem to make things more difficult than they need to be.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jon Heyman
word is, #pirates willing to pay $10M of aj's $33M. #yankees have been pushing for something closer to a 50-50 split. yanks also seek ok prospect back, which pirates hadnt agreed to. still, despite the differences, decent chance to happen

Cash should run for President if he pulls this shit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom