• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Charlie Morton

:jnc
he turned out about what people thought, average MLB starter. Which has value. I did get a little too hyped up for him because of the lack of pitching prospects coming through our system at the time. I was also listening and reading stuff by Bill Shanks at the time too, thankfully i learned the errors of my ways. He hyped up braves prospects way too much. Especially Jo Jo and Morton.

Iceman

Makes sense.

What do you think of Petco? I went there last year and was possibly as disappointed as I have ever been with a park (sans Fenway of course). I think my expectations were just out of whack.

Over the years, I've definitely fallen in love with the park. Keeping the old Western Metal Supply Co. building as a left field facade was a real nice touch. The park in the back and the bleachers with the sand lot just inches behind the right field wall make it super family friendly and open to a casual drop in. I like the babylon gardens thing they have going on around the stadium itself. And being set downtown makes it more accessible than Qualcomm/The Murph ever was, especially with the proximity to so many restaurants/bars, the harbor, Seaport Village, etc. Especially coming from the Murph it's definitely a major step in the right direction.

I think you'd feel different about it if you considered San Diego home.

eznark

Banned
Over the years, I've definitely fallen in love with the park. Keeping the old Western Metal Supply Co. building as a left field facade was a real nice touch. The park in the back and the bleachers with the sand lot just inches behind the right field wall make it super family friendly and open to a casual drop in. I like the babylon gardens thing they have going on around the stadium itself. And being set downtown makes it more accessible than Qualcomm/The Murph ever was, especially with the proximity to so many restaurants/bars, the harbor, Seaport Village, etc. Especially coming from the Murph it's definitely a major step in the right direction.

I think you'd feel different about it if you considered San Diego home.

Yeah, those were two huge, huge pluses. I'd probably like the park if I lived there, I don't know. It was on my list of newer parks to get to because I thought it might belong in the top echelons of parks. Outside of the cool warehouse and being in San Diego, it's pretty meh. I love the colors too.

Rangers and Mike Napoli have agreed on a 1-year, $9.4 million deal to avoid arbitration. Napoli originally filed for $11.5 million while the Rangers countered with $8.3 million.

Red Sox and David Ortiz have agreed on a 1-year, $14.575 million deal to avoid arbitration. Ortiz originally filed for $16.5 million while the Red Sox countered with $12.65 million.

Remaining arbitration cases:

-- Casey Janssen ($2.2MM) vs. Blue Jays ($1.8MM)
-- Jose Veras ($2.375MM) vs. Brewers ($2MM)
-- Adam Jones ($7.4MM) vs. Orioles ($5MM)
-- Casey McGehee ($2.725MM) vs. Pirates ($2.35MM)
-- Garrett Jones ($2.5MM) vs. Pirates ($2.25MM)
-- Alexi Casilla ($1.75MM) vs. Twins ($1.065MM)

There are rumors that the Blue Jays are close to a 2-year deal with Janssen.

Iceman

Petco is nothing compared to Miller Park, if that's the comparison. But Petco feels more intimate, closer to the action, and less about its awesome structure/artchitecture (Miller, I mean). Plus the integration to downtown was really well done I think. So close to the gaslamp district and right next to the convention center; it doesn't feel like an abrupt transition at all. And you can't complain about that weather.

It does suck that ball flight is so hampered by sea level. Really does noticeably make the game so dependent on pitching, defense and base-running. Too bad teams like the Rockies and Giants don't care about that and pound the hell out of us every time at home.

I look forward to seeing Pujols hit at Petco. He hit a rocket line drive over the left field wall at Chavez Ravine last time I was there (last year). If anyone can hit it out of Petco, I think he can do it.

verbum

Nice story about seeing a game in Havana:

It started with an impromptu trip to Estadio Latinoamericano, Latin American Stadium, after someone in our group learned over breakfast that the Industriales – Cuba’s version of the Yankees – were playing that night.

By the time we pulled up to the stadium, the one where the Orioles played the Cuban national team in 1999, it was the sixth inning. The Industriales were down 3-0, but from outside it hardly sounded like a place where the home team was being one hit.

Feeding off the excitement of our bus driver Orestes, an otherwise quiet guy, we virtually skipped up to the stadium, where we were directed to a ticket window designated for foreigners. Based on what we’d been told, we were charged more than the locals, but our tickets were the equivalent of $3 each. Who was going to argue?

To our surprise, Orestes led us to a section cordoned off for tourists only a few rows behind home plate. The place was buzzing.

The stands were fairly dark because all the light banks were aimed at the field, but silhouettes of faces stretched as far as you could see down the left and right field lines. The music never let up, drums and horns keeping a steady beat, first from a group playing when the Industriales batted, in their crisp blue and white uniforms, and another when the visiting team in green and gold, like a bad 1980s Oakland As uniform, took the plate.

Structurally, it looked like old Luther Williams Field in Macon, with a roof extending over the stands and netting up all the way up, but on a much grander scale. Apparently it holds up to 55,000 people.....

Once we thought we heard a name when fans chanted “Gor-do,” “Gor-do,” only to find out that’s the Spanish word for fat. They were razzing a pudgy hitter as he headed back to the visiting dugout after striking out....

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/02/13/getting-a-taste-of-baseball-cuba-style/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

Now I want to go.

eznark

Banned
Petco is nothing compared to Miller Park, if that's the comparison. But Petco feels more intimate, closer to the action, and less about its awesome structure/artchitecture (Miller, I mean). Plus the integration to downtown was really well done I think. So close to the gaslamp district and right next to the convention center; it doesn't feel like an abrupt transition at all. And you can't complain about that weather.

It does suck that ball flight is so hampered by sea level. Really does noticeably make the game so dependent on pitching, defense and base-running. Too bad teams like the Rockies and Giants don't care about that and pound the hell out of us every time at home.

I look forward to seeing Pujols hit at Petco. He hit a rocket line drive over the left field wall at Chavez Ravine last time I was there (last year). If anyone can hit it out of Petco, I think he can do it.

The comparison is every other park I've been to. I thought it might leap frog GAB or at least new Busch. I wasn't expecting Miller or PNC or anything truly great.

I think the Giants care a little bit about pitching.

Iceman

I think the Giants care a little bit about pitching.

Oh, no, I was just refelcting back to when Bonds was still on the team (2004-2007) when he was crushing it against San Diego. He didn't seem to be hindered by the move from the Q to Petco. He still lit us up.. of course the roids/HGH may have something to do with that. In recent times, it's been primarily the Rockies that have shown us that it really has been our weak hitters and not the stadium that has prevented us from putting up good numbers.

Officials of the Caribbean World Series are heading to Cuba to try and convince them to rejoin the competition next year. If they do, they would dominate all the other teams. Me and my co-worker were talking about Cuba and if relations with the US wrre better. Cubans would be number one foreign born players in the league.

eznark

Banned
Follow the Blue Jays. They have good radio guys, a fun and young team and play against the some of the most despicable pricks on the planet in the Yankees and Red Sox consistently.

Talon

Hi guys. Eznark told me baseball is gud...who should I follow
houston_astros_logo-9408.gif

clemenx

Banned
Officials of the Caribbean World Series are heading to Cuba to try and convince them to rejoin the competition next year. If they do, they would dominate all the other teams. Me and my co-worker were talking about Cuba and if relations with the US wrre better. Cubans would be number one foreign born players in the league.

At the current state of the competition, which is a joke, yes. But maybe if Cuba plays then the countries that participate will send their actual best players like they did in the 90s.
I disagree with your 2nd point, tho. I don't see what Cuba has over DR or Venezuela. The winter leagues of the latter 2 aren't representative at all of the best players they have in the bigs.

Smokey

He thinks he doesn't like baseball because he is an Astros fan.
True story

So I need to find a quality team and become a lifelonger to see if I can get into it more. The astros have almost single handidly made me hate baseball.

I heard the angels are what the cool kids like nowadays

McNei1y

True story

So I need to find a quality team and become a lifelonger to see if I can get into it more. The astros have almost single handidly made me hate baseball.

You can like the Nationals or Royals and see a future playoff team work its way there.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
True story

Watch the Braves. Same argument as the Jays, except replace the Yankees and Red Sox with the Phillies and Marlins. Added bonus of getting to watch actual, real baseball instead of that other stuff they do over there.

At the current state of the competition, which is a joke, yes. But maybe if Cuba plays then the countries that participate will send their actual best players like they did in the 90s.
I disagree with your 2nd point, tho. I don't see what Cuba has over DR or Venezuela. The winter leagues of the latter 2 aren't representative at all of the best players they have in the bigs.

Thats true, winter leagues have gone thru major change. MLB teams arent allowing their best players to play like they did in the 90s, thats the real problem. And my 2nd point, yea maybe a bit of hyperbole, but they would be up there.

Iceman

True story

I'd say LA Angels, the Phillies, Marlins, or the Braves... that is, if you want to enjoy baseball. Baseball really is about the ups and downs, but if you want to feel like you're team is in it every single game, and don't wan't to attach yourself to the most hated teams in baseball (red sox + yanks) and want to avoid teams on the downswing, those are my picks.

Smokey

Yeah, Nationals would be a good choice as well. Angels? May as well just pick the Phillies or Red Sox.
I know I was just messing. The main thing is I need to find a quality team so maybe I can appreciate the game more. The astros have taken a lot outta me man.

eznark

Banned
I know I was just messing. The main thing is I need to find a quality team so maybe I can appreciate the game more. The astros have taken a lot outta me man.

You know, rooting against a team can be just as fun as rooting for a team. Just root for whoever is playing the Cardinals.

hemtae

I live in Houston and watch Astros games occasionally. They're hilariously hapless. Besides the Biggio/Bagwell era wasn't that long ago.

I think this was one of the final straws for me. Trading away bourn for essentially nothing during ed wades firesale made me erupt in a rage that I'm ashamed of.

He's going to be a free agent after 2012 and with Scott Boras as his agent, he was as good as gone. The Astros weren't going to contend this season anyways. Better to get something for him now. Brett Oberholtzer was ranked #12 in the Braves organization last year. Wade did a good job on the Pence deal, though. Getting Jarred Cosart and Jonathan Singleton for a player that will also be a free agent after 2012 was a good deal.

I was shocked at how bad the Astros did last year. When they finally unloaded Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman, they played really, really well in the second half of 2010. I thought getting J.A. Happ was going to be big for them. Nothing went right in 2011. Chris Johnson, Jeff Keppinger, and Brett Wallace proved to be duds.

It's official. Johan Santana isn't making Opening Day. He's not even going to make April. The new target for him is "by the end of May". Supposedly, they are expecting about 25 starts out of him, which would put him in the second half of May.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's official. Johan Santana isn't making Opening Day. He's not even going to make April. The new target for him is "by the end of May". Supposedly, they are expecting about 25 starts out of him, which would put him in the second half of May.

I'm willing to bet he will never make another single start ever again for the Mets.

Looks like the Yankees/Pirates A.J. Burnett deal is going to happen this week. The Pirates are expected to cover anywhere from $13 to $15 million of Burnett's remaining $33 million for the next two years. The Pirates will also be sending along two minor leaguers that are not on their 40-man roster.

Malo

Banned
Looks like the Yankees/Pirates A.J. Burnett deal is going to happen this week. The Pirates are expected to cover anywhere from $13 to $15 million of Burnett's remaining $33 million for the next two years. The Pirates will also be sending along two minor leaguers that are not on their 40-man roster.
This might be Cash's best off-season ever.

RBH

Sorry jakncoke. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom