• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

I lead the council.
Sorry, there's only one council. ;)

RBPMS.jpg

I don't even like ponies.

Mascochist, then?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You would think they'd have a demo up showcasing the new stuff like Diamond Dynasty.

And not having a Vita demo ready to go is some moronic shit too.

You would think they'd have a demo up showcasing the new stuff like Diamond Dynasty.

And not having a Vita demo ready to go is some moronic shit too.

Oh they definitely need a Vita demo. I hope they do a sneak upload this week, I am surprised they have mentioned anything for this weeks store update for Vita. They needed to have a bunch of stuff in the pipeline to show people that the system is going to get a ton of support.

so dumb question and make fun of em all you want but, if I buy the vita and the show, I can't cross play with PS3 people right? what's the cheapest I can buy a PS3?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How do you know they don't?

They list the demos in the weekly upcoming post on the Blog

PS3 Demos
Major League Baseball 2K12

Top Gun: Gunlock
FIFA Street
The Simpsons: Arcade Game

PS Vita Demos
Touch My Katamari
Dynasty Warriors Next
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Reality Fighters

are the demos for the week. No Show anywhere.

PS3 Demos

FIFA Street

PS Vita Demos
Touch My Katamari
Dynasty Warriors Next
Reality Fighters

So odd about the Show not getting one. Last year Sony made a huge deal about the demo, maybe the think it is big enough now that they dont need to do one. I will be grabbing the Katamari demo for Vita though. I got the 360 game and hated it but I have always wanted to try a different version.

eznark

Banned

PS3 Demos

FIFA Street

PS Vita Demos
Touch My Katamari
Dynasty Warriors Next
Reality Fighters

I'm of the opinion that this will not be the week the world ends, personally.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Reds sign Sean Marshall to a 3 year 16 million dollar extension. Seems like a total bargain.
compared to the insane contracts that are being signed for relievers i guess you could say that but i still i don't call 5 mil per year a bargain for a reliever (even if he is one of the best in the game)

tc farks

Incentives for either games started or games finished, neither of which he will hit this season and quite possibly never.

Depends on their plans for him. If he stays a reliever he gets paid more like one. If they move him into a starting role, which he did struggle with earlier in his career, he makes more. It's a good contract for both sides.

alstein

compared to the insane contracts that are being signed for relievers i guess you could say that but i still i don't call 5 mil per year a bargain for a reliever (even if he is one of the best in the game)

He isn't Kimbrel, but $5 for Kimbrel as a FA would be nice.

In 2010, the $10mil the Braves paid for Wagner worked out perfectly.

even if you are going full-on fWAR-hates-relievers analysis, he's been worth about $10m/yr the past two years.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
even if you are going full-on fWAR-hates-relievers analysis, he's been worth about $10m/yr the past two years.
true, i guess i just hate paying relievers much money. But should we expect him to continue his dominance much longer? Relievers seem to have a shorter peak.

true, i guess i just hate paying relievers much money. But should we expect him to continue his dominance much longer? Relievers seem to have a shorter peak.

Relievers are definitely volatile, but like you said, I also think you need to compare this to other RP contracts. Shit, Frank Francisco got a higher AAV from Alderson (ok, 2 years instead of 3, but Marshall is younger). And people like to point out how the Rays bullpen turned out fine, but outside of Farnsworth and I guess Peralta, it was pretty terrible. Overall, it actually was one of the worst in baseball.

eznark

Banned
1. Marshall isn't just a reliever. He can fill any role on the staff. Starter, long man, situational out, set up, closer. The guy is a tool box.

2. It's chump change. (lol at people thinking $5 million is going to make a difference one way or the other is resigning Votto).

3. It makes him crazy valuable trade bait at the deadline for this year and next.

4. He's fucking good.

So, I'm pretty much a lapsed baseball sim player.

I know MLB The Show is the only real game in town, but my only real experience with those games is in the PSP games - and very briefly, at that. They always seemed very...complicated. :(

Is it easy to get into those games on PS3 and get good at them? Obviously I have the passion/knowledge of baseball to enjoy it - I just want to get into the game for real now. The last baseball sims I truly loved were the MVP baseball games, and...

...Acclaim's All-Star Baseball games. :x

Say bye bye to Jason Varitek and Danys Baez.

Jason Varitek will be announcing his retirement from baseball at a press conference at the Red Sox training camp in Fort Myers, FL on Thursday. Varitek, captain of the Red Sox since the 2005 season, was not re-signed and has failed to catch on as a backup catcher with other teams this offseason.

Varitek finishes up at age 39 (will be 40 in April) with a career .256/.341/.435 line with 193 career home runs and 1,307 career hits during 15 seasons all with the Red Sox (1997-2011).

He was a three-time All-Star (2003, 2005, 2008) and helped the Red Sox to two World Series championships (2004, 2007). His best season came in 2003, hitting .273/.351/.512 with 25 home runs and 85 RBIs.

He made an estimated $67.1 million during his 15-season MLB career.

Danys Baez has quietly announced his retirement from baseball. Baez was released by the Phillies on August 1 of last season and failed to catch on with another team. With no desirable offers coming in this offseason and remaining unsigned as spring training begins to ramp up, Baez has decided to hang up the spikes.

Baez finishes at age 34 (will be 35 in September) with a 40-57 record and a 4.25 ERA with 114 career saves and 505 career strikeouts in 533 career appearances (26 starts) over 11 seasons with the Indians (2001-2003), Devil Rays (2004-2005), Dodgers (2006), Braves (2006), Orioles (2007-2009), and Phillies (2010-2011).

He was an All-Star in 2005 with the Devil Rays, going 5-4 with a 2.86 ERA and finished 5th in the AL with 41 saves, arguably his best season performance. After the season, he was traded to the Dodgers in a deal that sent Edwin Jackson to the Devil Rays.

He made an estimated $43 million in his 11-season MLB career.

Cousteau

So, I'm pretty much a lapsed baseball sim player.

I know MLB The Show is the only real game in town, but my only real experience with those games is in the PSP games - and very briefly, at that. They always seemed very...complicated. :(

Is it easy to get into those games on PS3 and get good at them? Obviously I have the passion/knowledge of baseball to enjoy it - I just want to get into the game for real now. The last baseball sims I truly loved were the MVP baseball games, and...

...Acclaim's All-Star Baseball games. :x

Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011

RBH

Good for Alex Gordon. Looked like he was going to fizzle out a couple years ago, but he played well last season.

The Royals trolled everyone with this "major announcement". They have signed Sal Perez to a 5-year deal with club options for the '17, '18, and '19 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom