• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol fire KCs gm, ollie perez floating out there but not even so much as a look now look, SWeetChenMusic is your ace lolol.

move moustakas to the bullpen

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I read "Dr. Dan" and expected a nice analysis of post-concussion syndrome with possible new treatments or regimens for athletes dealing with such issues.

Instead, I got a SoSH post.
Scott Baker: $5 million for what!?!

Everything about this article is hilarious to me.

Carlos Guillen unexpectedly announced his retirement from baseball today. He signed with the Mariners in the offseason on a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. He had a deal that could have paid him up to $1 million in hitting incentives.

Guillen finishes at age 36 (will be 37 in September) with a career .285/.355/.443 line with 124 career home runs and 1,331 base hits during his 14 seasons with the Mariners (1998-2003) and Tigers (2004-2011).

He was an All-Star in 2004, 2007, and 2008. His best statistical season came in 2007 with the Tigers, hitting .296/.357/.502 with 21 home runs and 102 RBIs.

At the non-waiver trade deadline in 1998, he was involved in the deal that sent Randy Johnson to the Astros.

Injuries plagued Guillen the last three seasons, limiting him to just 177 games with the Tigers from 2009-2011.

Guillen made an esitmated $69.1 million during his 14-season MLB career.

Transaction history:
-- September 19, 1992: Signed by Houston Astros as an amateur free agent
-- July 31, 1998: Traded by Houston Astros with Freddy Garcia and John Halama to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for Randy Johnson
-- January 8, 2004: Traded by the Seattle Mariners to the Detroit Tigers in exchange for Juan Gonzalez and Ramon Santiago
-- February 1, 2012: Signed by the Seattle Mariners as a minor league free agent
-- March 6, 2012: Announced retirement from baseball

Madtown_

Honestly, I do not know. I think I got grandfathered in at a cheaper rate. It's supposed to be $125 or something, but I pay less than that. They just auto charge my credit card every year.
This is from another thread but no need to derail it from all the Kate Upton talk.

Anyone have any thoughts on MLB.TV? I no longer have cable, but I already have the radio package for the year.
Main question: how strict are the blackout restrictions? Will I be able to see brewers games even though I live in Wisconsin? I know they used to be strict.

Thanks all

zulux21

This is from another thread but no need to derail it from all the Kate Upton talk.

Anyone have any thoughts on MLB.TV? I no longer have cable, but I already have the radio package for the year.
Main question: how strict are the blackout restrictions? Will I be able to see brewers games even though I live in Wisconsin? I know they used to be strict.

Thanks all

first off to see what clubs will be blacked out go here about 85% down the page and look for "To find out which Club's live games are blacked out in your current location, click here" I would direct link that but when I tried it couldn't figure out where I was. It would be doubtful that you will get Brewers games though, I know I don't and I am near Madison.

As for my thoughts on MLB.TV as long as you have something that can run it and you aren't blacked out it's great. It's got good video quality and is a great way to watch games when you are out of market. Personally I don't buy it at the start of the year, I just wait until the last 1-2 months of the season and then get it for 33% of the current price as I am close enough to pick up the White Sox Radio and just listen to the games for the first few months that way. Last year because I watched a bunch of the free games MLB sent me an offer to get the rest of the year for the price of one month at the end of July so that's what I went with.

There is a good chance that MLB.tv will have free games again so you could just check out one of those to see for yourself, and if you are using a PC to see how well it handles the stream.

first off to see what clubs will be blacked out go here about 85% down the page and look for "To find out which Club's live games are blacked out in your current location, click here" I would direct link that but when I tried it couldn't figure out where I was. It would be doubtful that you will get Brewers games though, I know I don't and I am near Madison.

As for my thoughts on MLB.TV as long as you have something that can run it and you aren't blacked out it's great. It's got good video quality and is a great way to watch games when you are out of market. Personally I don't buy it at the start of the year, I just wait until the last 1-2 months of the season and then get it for 33% of the current price as I am close enough to pick up the White Sox Radio and just listen to the games for the first few months that way. Last year because I watched a bunch of the free games MLB sent me an offer to get the rest of the year for the price of one month at the end of July so that's what I went with.

There is a good chance that MLB.tv will have free games again so you could just check out one of those to see for yourself, and if you are using a PC to see how well it handles the stream.

so I don;t understand, I'm supposed to watch the other team's broadcast if I want to see my favorite team play?

jakncoke

Banned
How come mlb.com can get live stats and yahoo can't. :me. The first 2 games I was blind in knowing what was going on with the Pirates. Not sure why i didn't check out mlb.com before.

zulux21

so I don;t understand, I'm supposed to watch the other team's broadcast if I want to see my favorite team play?

MLB.TV is used for out of market games. If the game is available for you to watch through a cable provider it's likely that you won't be able to watch it live on MLB.TV, for example if the yankees are on your blackout list because you live in new york then you won't be able to watch any of the yankees games live. However they do store all of the games, so you could just watch the game a few hours after the game ends.

Madtown_

Thanks. Guess that means no mlb.tv for me. I'm near Madison as well. Not gonna get it if I cant see live Brewers games.

Madtown_

How come mlb.com can get live stats and yahoo can't. :me. The first 2 games I was blind in knowing what was going on with the Pirates. Not sure why i didn't check out mlb.com before.
MLB Gameday has been great for me. Tons of stats, and all live. I liked the 2010 version 'Classic' the most, though. The new UI wastes too much space.

nvm looks like the current version is classic again.

Jangocube

Banned
Oh, the beauty of the future

2011 first-round pick Dylan Bundy threw a hitless inning against the Red Sox on Tuesday.
Bundy was awfully impressive, throwing 95-97 mph in his inning. There's very little chance of him seeing the majors at age 19 this season, but he's one of the game's best pitching prospects.

dorkimoe

He didn't give up 7 homers so there's that. He pitched well but not great.

LOLLL At this The Show commercial trolling Cubs fans.

I don't really see it as trolling. I love the footage from 03, I love seeing all the stuff I will never see. As a HUGE cub fan, i love the commercial. I'm thankful they didnt just show bartman again, thats what pisses us off

Malo

Banned
Rays start the preseason 0-4.

ABANDON SHIP. ABANDON SHIP.

LETS GO METS.

just kidding.
bFnP0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom