• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

newjeruse

My current top 10 players in baseball are:

1. Jose Bautista
2. Evan Longoria
3. Joey Votto
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Ryan Braun
6. Albert Pujols
7. Troy Tulowitzki
8. Adrian Gonzalez
9. Dustin Pedroia
10. Ben Zobrist

Reactions, thoughts, criticisms?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

1. Jose Bautista
2. Evan Longoria
3. Joey Votto
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Ryan Braun
6. Albert Pujols
7. Troy Tulowitzki
8. Adrian Gonzalez
9. Dustin Pedroia
10. Ben Zobrist

Pitchers are considered players too.

Hate the cap on draft picks n international singings. What they needed to do was combine all those things with team payroll and tax anyone who goes over a certain number. Stop the big market teams from dominating free agancy and amateur signings.

Malo

Banned

1. Jose Bautista
2. Evan Longoria
3. Joey Votto
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Ryan Braun
6. Albert Pujols
7. Troy Tulowitzki
8. Adrian Gonzalez
9. Dustin Pedroia
10. Ben Zobrist

Off the top of my head the list is fine, but I'd probably move some players around in that list.

1. Albert Pujols
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Ryan Braun
4. Joey Votto
5. Adrian Gonzalez
6. Prince Fielder
7. Jose Bautista
8. Jose Reyes
9. Evan Loangoria
10. Dustin Pedroia

1. Jose Bautista
2. Evan Longoria
3. Joey Votto
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Ryan Braun
6. Albert Pujols
7. Troy Tulowitzki
8. Adrian Gonzalez
9. Dustin Pedroia
10. Ben Zobrist

I'd much rather have Kemp than Zobrist. I might take Justin Upton over Pedroia, too. Also, if that's ranked, then you have Longoria too high.

clemenx

Banned
1- Tulo
2- Votto
3- Braun
4- Bautista
5- Pujols
6- Miggy
7- Longo
8- Adrian

Can't decide on the last 2. Shuffles yearly. Zimmerman, Kemp, Cano, Pedroia, Zobrist

newjeruse

I'd much rather have Kemp than Zobrist. I might take Justin Upton over Pedroia, too. Also, if that's ranked, then you have Longoria too high.
I guess how much you believe in Ben Zobrist is heavily tied to how much you believe in defensive metrics. He's second in the majors in fielding runs saved over the last three years, has positional versatility, and is a top 5 offensive second basemen. I actually went back and forth between him and Kinsler for 10th overall, but finally decided on him.

I excluded Kemp because his last three years has just been too volatile. He had an all-time great season, but he's too inconsistent for me to put him in the top 10 yet.

Longoria is the best offensive and defensive third basemen in the game. I guess you could argue Beltre, but even that is a push at best. Anytime someone is the best offensive and defensive player at their position in the game, they're going to be in the top 5. I originally had Votto #2 and Longoria #3, but switched in the final rankings.

jakncoke

Banned
Barmes got 2 years 11 million from the Pirates.

I have no idea why initial reaction is so negative. I guess because it's Barmes, but he had a really good season last year and it's not like he's blocking the path for somebody else.

Really thought the Brewers would have gone after him harder than they did. He's a lot better than Yunie.

Guess he cant be any worse than our situation was last year

newjeruse

RE Barmes: It's not a terrible deal at all. But as good as he is defensively (which is spectacular), he's that bad offensively. He's one of the five worst offensive middle infielders in baseball.

Rosenthal saying Selig gonna meet with Giants about territorial rights. Says if it doesn't work out Selig may purchase A's. Selig has an opportunity to Selig and send them Montreal.

Sanjuro

1. Jose Bautista
2. Evan Longoria
3. Joey Votto
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Ryan Braun
6. Albert Pujols
7. Troy Tulowitzki
8. Adrian Gonzalez
9. Dustin Pedroia
10. Ben Zobrist

You don't have any Yankee players on this list. Shame on you!

newjeruse

I love Utley, but second basemen are always the first position players to break down and unfortunately he's shown signs of that the last two seasons. He's suffered numerous injuries and all of his rates have starts falling. I still have Utley ranked around Jose Reyes and ahead of guys like A-Rod and Teixeira, but there are too many warning signs to put him in the top 10.

Meohsix

how in the world did Thurman Munson get away with wearing weird colored catching gear?
mlb network is showing game 6 of the 77 world series right now and he has gold catching gear on. and you always see pictures and video of him wearing red gear. you would think with Steinbrenner being the way he was, he would have made him wear team colors.

newjeruse

Why are the Phillies trading for Ty Wigginton who is due $4.5M next season? He literally projects to be a below replacement level players next season, as he has been for the last three seasons. Amaro can bludgeon his way to big signings or ship away the farm to make big trades, but when there is a need that actually requires finesse or shrewdness, he comes off as a total amateur.

The Philadelphia Phillies have acquired utility player Ty Wigginton from the Colorado Rockies in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Wigginton is entering the second year of a 2-year, $8 million deal signed with the Rockies before the 2011 season. He also has a $4 million club option for 2013. Wigginton hit .242/.315/.416 with 15 home runs and 47 RBIs in 130 games for the Rockies in 2011. Baseball-Reference had him at a -1.1 WAR while Fangraphs had him at a 0.3 WAR.

Wigginton figures to share playing time at 1B with Jim Thome while Ryan Howard recovers from his torn Achilles tendon. Wigginton could also be used at 3B if Placido Polanco is not healthy to begin the season.

1. Jose Bautista
2. Evan Longoria
3. Joey Votto
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Ryan Braun
6. Albert Pujols
7. Troy Tulowitzki
8. Adrian Gonzalez
9. Dustin Pedroia
10. Ben Zobrist

This list should have Cano at 10 instead of Zobrist, and Pujols/Cabrera should switch.

Matt Kemp contract details:

2012: $10 million
2013: $20 million
2014: $21 million
2015: $21 million
2016: $21.5 million
2017: $21.5 million
2018: $21.5 million
2019: $21.5 million

-- $2 million signing bonus to be paid on April 15, 2012
-- $2 million of 2012 salary will be deferred through April 15, 2013
-- Kemp will donate $250,000 a season to the Dodger Dream Foundation
-- There is NOT a no-trade clause in his deal
-- No player/club options

NomarTyme

Worth every penny...

This list should have Cano at 10 instead of Zobrist, and Pujols/Cabrera should switch.
Pujols is on the wrong side of 30 (or 35) and Cabrera has been the better hitter both of the past two seasons. The dude is a beast. Pujols' better fielding makes up the difference, but I'm using age as the tiebreaker here.

1. Ryan Braun
2. Adrian Gonzalez
3. Robinson Cano
4. Prince Fielder
5.Miguel Cabrera
6. Joey Votto
7. Albert Pujols
8. Curtis Granderson
9. Matt Kemp
10. Derek Jeter

1. Jose Bautista
2. Joey Votto
3. Evan Longoria
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Troy Tulowitski
6. Josh Hamilton
7. Adrian Beltre
8. Albert Pujols
9. Ryan Braun
10. Robinson Cano

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Cano needs to get his career obp over .350 before I consider him. He just doesn't walk enough imo.

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Marlins' recent offer to Jose Reyes was less than $90 million.

Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that the Marlins offered a six-year, $90 million contract, but Heyman hears that it was actually $10-20 million lower. However, he also hears that the Marlins may eventually be willing to improve their offer to $90-100 million over five years. Most assume Reyes desires a contract north of $100 million, so look for him to shop around until he gets the deal he wants.
lol

eznark

Banned
So, the Marlins were just hoping to float rumors of imminent signings to boost season ticket buys at the new dump or what?

Jangocube

Banned

That's a lot of money, but as long as his Rihanna issues are behind him, he'll be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom