• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
Damn, would Pujols bring the price up like that for Fielder? That seems crazy.

That Pujols contract it's more stupid IMO but it's the flair of paying for Pujols that drives the price up, I guess.

Sanjuro

I think Fielder is a beast but I would only bet on him for being good for 4-5 more years, tops. I could have seen someone offer like 5-6 years with a super high AAV and just eat the last couple, but 8 years? Damn.

I disagree. I don't like the "big guy / break down" argument. It can happen to anyone small or big. I think Fielder will be fine, but eight years in one city could have many variants.

Damn, would Pujols bring the price up like that for Fielder? That seems crazy.

That Pujols contract it's more stupid IMO but it's the flair of paying for Pujols that drives the price up, I guess.

I have no reason for this, but I see Pujols getting something like an 8/200 deal. I'm more confident about the 8 than the 200, though.

McNei1y

I have no reason for this, but I see Pujols getting something like an 8/200 deal. I'm more confident about the 8 than the 200, though.

At his age, NL teams should spend more for less years, if such a contract would be constructed properly. I don't see Pujols playing the field (marginally well) past his mid 30's. I could be totally wrong though, just my hunch.

I concede defeat.

ryan-howard-world-series-game-2-d78fbdd5150f60a8_large.jpg

Sanjuro

Who ever signs any of the mentioned are going to be overpaying for great player. If they flat out under perform it is unexpected. If they don't perform in ridiculous year number seven/eight that is just the nature of the beast.

So even if he declines at the exact same rate, he is starting from a significantly higher ceiling. I'd say at worst the Fielder contract will look "bad" for two years...as long as he goes to the AL.

Significantly higher ceiling? But Howard is the one who has won an MVP!

LJ11

Spent the morning on SoSH reading the Bobby V thread, seems like they hate the guy.

I always liked Valentine, I'm sure he'll wear out his welcome eventually, but they are having none of it. Hopefully they hire him, nothing better than miserable Bostonians

Sanjuro

I think the problem is John Farrell. He would have been too good of a fit in this situation.

Lamont seems like he might get the gig as well. Certainly isn't the sexiest choice, but I kind of think that is the point.

Fenix

jimcallisBA said:
By my calculations, TWENTY teams went 16% or more over slot this year, which would have triggered 100% tax & loss of two 1st-rders #mlbdraft
Holy shit, this is gonna suuuuuck.

Edit: Braun wins MVP

Doytch

eznark's #1 draft pick in roto redeemed total.

(I also blew my load on him in the auction bidding, so high fives all around.)

eznark

Banned
1. Braun 388,
2. Kemp 332;
3. Fielder 229;
4 Upton 214;
5 Pujols 166;
6 Votto 135;
7 Brkmn 118;
8 Tulo 69;
9 Halladay 52;
10 Howard 39.

Doytch

Pablo Sandoval, John Axford, Michael Morse, Carlos Beltran, Miguel Montero, Yadier Molina, Starlin Castro, Craig Kimbrel, and Carlos Ruiz got more votes than Mike Stanton.

Jon

How does Carlos Ruiz only get one vote for MVP?! What an outrage.

Seriously though, whoever voted for Howard or Ruiz should lose their vote. Still not as bad as David Robertson though.

Meier

Braun winning isn't a surprise and he had a great year too, but Matt Kemp was the MVP this year. I think if it was going to be anyone BUT Kemp though, Braun was the clear choice.

He shouldn't have disappeared for May and July.

The only way you can claim he was "jobbed" is by relying on shaky-at-best defensive metrics.
Not really. Offensively they were pretty much equal and Kemp plays CF as opposed to LF. And even if Kemp isn't great in CF, you are on the record as saying Braun isn't the greatest in LF.

It's not a big deal, though. The new CBA is much, much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom