• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The Fish are poised to have the strongest bullpen and lineup in baseball, but that means nothing if we don't sign another pitcher.

Then package Gaby, Volstad and Coughlin for Gio Gonzalez or James Shields.

Maxim726X

The Fish are poised to have the strongest bullpen and lineup in baseball, but that means nothing if we don't sign another pitcher.

Then package Gaby, Volstad and Coughlin for Gio Gonzalez or James Shields.

If the Marlins do actually sign Pujols, they won't need another great starter- They'll have all they need to make a run.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm not agitated about this news as I should be. He's been amazing especially for a while last year but he has a habit of going on the DL a lot. Whatever, we'll be interesting to see where Sandy goes from this.

The Marlins are prepared to meet with Albert Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano, either Monday or Tuesday at the Winter Meetings in Dallas. After already shelling out $133 million on Jose Reyes and Heath Bell, the Marlins are said to be increasing their offer to Pujols. They met with Pujols shortly before Thanksgiving to make their first offer, which was said to be "considerably less" than the reported 9-year, $198 million offer Pujols declined from the Cardinals last winter. One source familiar with the Marlins line of thinking believe that their second offer to Pujols will cross the $200 million barrier.
I knew this would happen. Loria refused to spend money until he got a new ballpark and hoarded so much cash between 2006-2011 it was sick. Here we go.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just saw it on ESPN 6 years for $106,000,000... What in the World?

Maybe $106 Million Pesos I would understand, GODDAMN!

Edit: $133 Million # thrown around, whats the extra $27 Million, Signing Bonus?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just saw it on ESPN 6 years for $106,000,000... What in the World?

Maybe $106 Million Pesos I would understand, GODDAMN!

Edit: $133 Million # thrown around, whats the extra $27 Million, Signing Bonus?

27 million for Heath Bell, who was signed by Marlins few days ago.

If the Marlins take Pujols they will be cursed. No good comes from hoarding all the awesome players. Injuries, hurricanes, and a sub .500 record incoming.

Please if there is any justice.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
If the Marlins take Pujols they will be cursed. No good comes from hoarding all the awesome players. Injuries, hurricanes, and a sub .500 record incoming.

Please if there is any justice.

Marlins + Heat? Im okay with this.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
New stadium has a retractable roof.

Those Motherfuckers... Retractable Roof Collapse due to incessant damage that kills the team while practicing?

Edit: Why does the Marlins new logo look like I was just transported to the 1970's, looks horrible just like those hideous Astros uniforms

Man, if you were one of the 200 Marlin lifelongs in FL, you would be shitting your pants right about now.

I want Pujols out of our division by any means necessary. I pray they can get him on the team.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so what is the mets payroll going to look like this season? And what about the nationals? How long till the braves 85-90 payroll is the lowest in the east?

edit: also I find it funny that the marlins couldn't afford to offer dan uggla an extra year.

ZeroRay

So this is what it feels like to be a fan of a big market team.

Not gonna get too excited. I remember 2005.

Knowing the ownership, we might just have another fire sale after attendance is "lower than expected." IE: The feds are cracking down.

Maxim726X

so what is the mets payroll going to look like this season? And what about the nationals? How long till the braves 85-90 payroll is the lowest in the east?

edit: also I find it funny that the marlins couldn't afford to offer dan uggla an extra year.

Between 80-90. You heard it here first, even though Alderson said it would be between 100-110.

Wilson is too expensive, Buerhle is probably too expensive, no way they're in on any of the impact position players, Darvish is out of the question... Maybe a few relievers? What else is there to get?

And the title is inaccurate- Apparently the Mets are willing to pay Pelfrey 6 million this season. But Jose Reyes? He had to go.

90 million. No way we go over with Reyes leaving to the Marlins.

I'm a bit relieved that the Marlins were the ones to jump on the Reyes grenade. It would've been no fun seeing the Brewers commit that much dough to a guy who I fear is going to age poorly.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
With Jose Reyes at shortstop, Ozzie Guillen as the manager and a new stadium, the Miami Marlins are going to have one hell of a 2012 campaign. Bank on it.

Sharp

Let's be honest here, if the Mets had resigned him to the same contract a lot of us would be making fun of them for overspending their limited resources on a guy with his injury history. Personally I'm not going to speculate on his health a few years down the line--I haven't done my due diligence--but this new Marlins team is looking pretty frightening and that pisses me off. In a year where I'm not sure the Nats were going to really be much better than they were last year and might even have a worse record, the last thing I need is three teams who I can comfortably guarantee will be far ahead of them in the standings.

Oh god and all the Heat bandwagoners are migrating to the MLB thread too, fucking end times all over the place.

Malo

Banned
Let's be honest here, if the Mets had resigned him to the same contract a lot of us would be making fun of them for overspending their limited resources on a guy with his injury history. Personally I'm not going to speculate on his health a few years down the line--I haven't done my due diligence--but this new Marlins team is looking pretty frightening and that pisses me off. In a year where I'm not sure the Nats were going to really be much better than they were last year and might even have a worse record, the last thing I need is three teams who I can comfortably guarantee will be far ahead of them in the standings.

Oh god and all the Heat bandwagoners are migrating to the MLB thread too, fucking end times all over the place.
PEACE.

I would've liked the Brewers to get in on Reyes for that price. Of course, they probably would have had to offer him more.

Say hello to another season of Yuni B. Puke.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

I'm a Marlins lifelonger, as well. I was at the 2003 NLDS game between the Marlins and Giants that ended with Ivan Rodriguez getting bulldozed at the plate and hanging onto the ball for the out. Good times, especially with the crowd going absolutely insane.

Sharp

I'm a Marlins lifelonger, as well. I was at the 2003 NLDS game between the Marlins and Giants that ended with Ivan Rodriguez getting bulldozed at the plate and hanging onto the ball for the out. Good times, especially with the crowd going absolutely insane.
This is coming on my thirdish year posting in this thread and there have been maaaaybe one or two Marlins fans posting here total. Not regularly, just at all. I know this because we would routinely make fun of the Marlins and nobody even cared enough to respond. Even when HanRam was throwing tantrums or Nyjer was getting clotheslined, all we heard was dead silence. So I mean, yeah, awesome that you were there for their playoffs run but if you aren't there through the lean times isn't that sort of the definition of bandwagoning? Just saying.

Fatalah

Could have gotten prospects for Reyes over the summer. Alderson misstep. "Rebuilding has officially begun", should have begun in July.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
This is coming on my thirdish year posting in this thread and there have been maaaaybe one or two Marlins fans posting here total. Not regularly, just at all. I know this because we would routinely make fun of the Marlins and nobody even cared enough to respond. Even when HanRam was throwing tantrums or Nyjer was getting clotheslined, all we heard was dead silence. So I mean, yeah, awesome that you were there for their playoffs run but if you aren't there through the lean times isn't that sort of the definition of bandwagoning? Just saying.

I've been there in the lean times, too.

Fenix

I know that feel bro.

Fatalah

You can't judge fandom on online activity! A man's love for his team is a very private matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom