• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Well, it's certainly true that some PEDs will not enhance performance. The "cough syrup" example someone mentioned earlier. We can certainly quibble over individual substances that should or should not be banned but the majority of the steroid era hitters (and possibly pitchers) gained material advantages from their use. Whether it might be faster healing from injuries as ARod claims he tried to do, or adding muscle as others have done athletes have a responsibility to stay within the rules and apparently Braun did not do that.

No, I'm not talking about certain substances. And I won't even give you some ephemeral "healing factor".

---Steroids and HGH give no benefit to a baseball player beyond placebo.---

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/

Go nuts. Linked medical studies aplenty.

Gaborn

No, I'm not talking about certain substances. And I won't even give you some ephemeral "healing factor".

---Steroids and HGH give no benefit to a baseball player beyond placebo.---

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/

Go nuts. Linked medical studies aplenty.

While I'm sure it's very nice you found a conspiracy site that cherry picks medical studies I think I'll trust the broader consensus as well as my own eyes and maintain my own conclusions. Although, you'll note I never mentioned HGH. HGH has never been shown conclusively to offer benefits.

Doytch

While I'm sure it's very nice you found a conspiracy site that cherry picks medical studies I think I'll trust the broader consensus as well as my own eyes and maintain my own conclusions. Although, you'll note I never mentioned HGH. HGH has never been shown conclusively to offer benefits.

Yeah, your own eyes (holy shit lol) and the consensus as decided by ESPN. Maybe stick to posting news stories instead. Less you can be woefully uninformed on.

Gaborn

the only shocking thing is people still care and become outraged about athletes taking steroids. Let'em juice.

That's a separate discussion. Personally I don't wholly disagree with you but I don't think you can do that and maintain the credibility and integrity of the sport.

Doytch - The level of denial you are experiencing is impressive.

Doytch

That's a separate discussion. Personally I don't wholly disagree with you but I don't think you can do that and maintain the credibility and integrity of the sport.

Chirp, chirp. You haven't posted anything to deny. maybe post some of this medical consensus. Or link me to your eyes. Do they also tell you Jeter was a great SS?

Gaborn

Chirp, chirp. You haven't posted anything to deny. maybe post some of this medical consensus. Or link me to your eyes. Do they also tell you Jeter was a great SS?

I'm not going to argue with someone who seems to be more intent on trolling than anything. Why bother engaging you?

Thing is, I think people have this idea that guys who use steroids are hanging out in back alleys, with some dude in a trenchcoat handing them a syringe that says "STEROIDS" written on it. There is random, over the counter stuff at GNC that can trigger positive tests. For all we know, there are guys that test positive that just took something once or twice to help recover from an injury, not because they were juicing their balls off to try and get a body builder physique and hit 80 homeruns. People make it out to be a lot more nefarious than it actually is. It's funny, the shit Curt Schilling did to his ankle to be able to pitch was just as much of a medical advancement as PEDs are, yet he's praised for it.

Doytch

Hilarious, the troll card. Nope, I'm actually just a baseball fan who knows what any other well-informed baseball fan knows.

So, like I said, it's obvious you're out of your element, and don't really feel like learning, so there's not much left for you here.

Gaborn

Thing is, I think people have this idea that guys who use steroids are hanging out in back alleys, with some dude in a trenchcoat handing them a syringe that says "STEROIDS" written on it. There is random, over the counter stuff at GNC that can trigger positive tests. For all we know, there are guys that test positive that just took something once or twice to help recover from an injury, not because they were juicing their balls off to try and get a body builder physique and hit 80 homeruns. People make it out to be a lot more nefarious than it actually is. It's funny, the shit Curt Schilling did to his ankle to be able to pitch was just as much of a medical advancement as PEDs are, yet he's praised for it.

Absolutely. I would have no problem with reforming the rules, making it easier to appeal when it is an over the counter incidental use that you can document for example, and I'm sure there are some substances that are considered banned that probably shouldn't be, or that occur in such tiny amounts they're not relevant.

A good example of this is the occasional story you hear of people testing positive for opium because they ate something containing poppy seeds. I'm not saying the current system is ideal but I think there would be too much of a backlash from purists to just wholly open the gates to any and all products in any way.

Doytch - anabolic steroids increase muscle mass and strength. That's simply a fact. Any discussion beyond that gets into fringe science.

Braun is probably guilty, but I'm willing to entertain the notion that he might not be mostly because I'm not sure how he would think that he was going to get away with it.

Okay but seriously: if they knew this mothafucka had tested positive, why did they still let him win the NL MVP award?

get the fuck out, MLB. How they manage to mis-manage all these scandals and problems is just baffling.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Okay but seriously: if they knew this mothafucka had tested positive, why did they still let him win the NL MVP award?

get the fuck out, MLB. How they manage to mis-manage all these scandals and problems is just baffling.

Um, you should take a look at the NBA if you want to be baffled at some mismanagement.

The MLB doesn't give out the awards.

Anyway, think time will prove him innocent, because thats just how things happen.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Who came in 2nd to Braun, doesn't the award go to him

I think sport writers give the award no?

Man, this fucking sucks. All the goodwill that Braun has earned for himself and for the Brewers franchise, and it's going to vanish, even if his appeal is successful.

Big-time bummer. He's been tested for nine years, it's hard to believe that all of a sudden, during his peak years, he decided to add some steroids to his game.

Unless he's been doing it all along, undetected.

The fact that I even have to talk about this is so, so depressing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Who came in 2nd to Braun, doesn't the award go to him

I think sport writers give the award no?

Matt Kemp.

And yes the writers give out the award. They should absolutely do a re-vote on the award, he wouldn't have won if they writers knew what was up. This isn't like Bonds or other guys, Braun failed a steroid test and it's still the same year he won the award.

Man, this fucking sucks. All the goodwill that Braun has earned for himself and for the Brewers franchise, and it's going to vanish, even if his appeal is successful.

Big-time bummer. He's been tested for nine years, it's hard to believe that all of a sudden, during his peak years, he decided to add some steroids to his game.

Unless he's been doing it all along, undetected.

The fact that I even have to talk about this is so, so depressing.

Yes, it seems unlikely that his peak year would be the year he gets caught using ped's. Lol

I think the brotha is innocent. That's right. I'm reverse jinxing even in the offseason .

Eznark's kid after finding out about Braun:

tumblr_ls7s0qQZSy1qjt9wt.gif

Yes, it seems unlikely that his peak year would be the year he gets caught using ped's. Lol

I think the brotha is innocent. That's right. I'm reverse jinxing even in the offseason .

I worded that poorly. Rather, I meant in his prime years, age-wise. I think if this test is indeed genuine confirmation of Braun's guilt, that points to the likelihood that he's been using PEDs for nine years, the entire time undetected by baseball's testing. Which is pretty damning for baseball's testing.

I don't think he just all of a sudden started using it this year. Thinking logically, there was nothing in the past year that would have spurred him to start taking PEDs.

eznark

Banned
I honestly have no words. I was at a Christmas party all night with no wireless/cell service (intermittent at best).

Personally, I'd get rid of Braun. I have zero care about PED's. If it were up to me, there would be no such thing as illegal substances. However, the fucking piece of shit is a God damned cheater. Anything any team does with Braun apart of it is as tainted as the Brady/Belichick Patriots.

I feel like someone kicked me in the balls.

I honestly have no words. I was at a Christmas party all night with no wireless/cell service (intermittent at best).

Personally, I'd get rid of Braun. I have zero care about PED's. If it were up to me, there would be no such thing as illegal substances. However, the fucking piece of shit is a God damned cheater. Anything any team does with Braun apart of it is as tainted as the Brady/Belichick Patriots.

I feel like someone kicked me in the balls.

He's not a cheater, not yet. His appeal is still being heard.

Tom H. said he talked with a source close to Braun (so obviously biased, but still) and said that MLB has in fact overturned some positive testings before, only the names have never been leaked to the public.

So we will see. But this is going to be a mess.

Gaborn

He's not a cheater, not yet. His appeal is still being heard.

Tom H. said he talked with a source close to Braun (so obviously biased, but still) and said that MLB has in fact overturned some positive testings before, only the names have never been leaked to the public.

So we will see. But this is going to be a mess.

Even if the ban is overturned the damage will be done in people's minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom