• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
I just received a text message from Ryan Braun. Because his appeal of a positive drug test is ongoing, he cannot comment on the record about any of the details or give any information about what happened and what's going on.

But Braun was quite adamant that he will get this positive drug test overturned. He said he wanted to hold a press conference today to give his side of the story but was adviced against it while the process is ongoing.

"I can't wait to get that opportunity," said Braun.

"This is all B.S. I am completely innocent."

That's all Braun can say for now, which is understandable. But I appreciate him reaching out to me to say what he could.

So prove it, scum bag. I'll give Braun the same benefit of the doubt I'd give to anyone else. Zero. I've lived with people who are consistently and randomly tested (be it as part of a DI scholarship or parole) and I've yet to see much evidence for false positives.

Where the fuck is my avatar?

So prove it, scum bag. I'll give Braun the same benefit of the doubt I'd give to anyone else. Zero. I've lived with people who are consistently and randomly tested (be it as part of a DI scholarship or parole) and I've yet to see much evidence for false positives.

lol

Gaborn

But Braun was quite adamant that he will get this positive drug test overturned. He said he wanted to hold a press conference today to give his side of the story but was adviced against it while the process is ongoing.

It's been reported that he knew this before the MVP vote. Strangely enough he didn't want to hold a press conference about it then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

They turned off avatars for 99% of GAF members. Gaming side always screwing shit up.

eznark

Banned
It's been reported that he knew this before the MVP vote. Strangely enough he didn't want to hold a press conference about it then.

Says who?

sickponyfreak said:
They turned off avatars for 99% of GAF members. Gaming side always screwing shit up.

Only pony-pedo's keep avatars? Confirms the fucked up upside down world we live in. /eatsbullet

Gaborn

Says who?

Well, he never mentioned it to anybody earlier then! I just think this "now I want to clear my name" thing rings phony. If I'm being accused of something I'm going to stand and fight it vocally and by any means I have available. I mean, of COURSE he's contending his innocence and of COURSE he thinks he can get it overturned -that's the point of appealing.

Darkside - How do you still have your avatar? :( :( :(

If he thinks he can get this overturned, why bring attention to himself by saying he's being accused of doping? Like others have said, this kind of scrutiny casts him in a bad light even if he wins the appeal.

eznark

Banned
Well, he never mentioned it to anybody earlier then! I just think this "now I want to clear my name" thing rings phony. If I'm being accused of something I'm going to stand and fight it vocally and by any means I have available. I mean, of COURSE he's contending his innocence and of COURSE he thinks he can get it overturned -that's the point of appealing.

Darkside - How do you still have your avatar? :( :( :(

You're claiming he never wanted to hold a press conference earlier. I'd like to know where you're getting that info. Like I said, I'm playing catch up here and that is a part of the story I haven't read anywhere else to this point. So far everything I have read says essentially that Braun was convinced his second test exonerated him and that was that. You're claiming something wildly contradictory to that and I'd love to get informed.

Grizza

If he thinks he can get this overturned, why bring attention to himself by saying he's being accused of doping? Like others have said, this kind of scrutiny casts him in a bad light even if he wins the appeal.

This. We should have never heard about this until MLB made a final ruling about his suspension.

Gaborn

You're claiming he never wanted to hold a press conference earlier. I'd like to know where you're getting that info. Like I said, I'm playing catch up here and that is a part of the story I haven't read anywhere else to this point. So far everything I have read says essentially that Braun was convinced his second test exonerated him and that was that. You're claiming something wildly contradictory to that and I'd love to get informed.

I was being mildly sarcastic. The point I was making is that people want to hide any accusation of wrong doing unless it becomes public and then suddenly it's "I wanted to hold a press conference today to clear my name!" when we've only known for a few hours about this. It just rings hollow was the only point I was making. No need to read into it more than that.

The way that Braun has come out and defended himself makes me believe that he won't be using the "I didn't know what was put into my body" excuse. No, it makes me think that he has proof that the test itself was flawed in some way or shape.

We will see. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff.

eznark

Banned
I was being mildly sarcastic. The point I was making is that people want to hide any accusation of wrong doing unless it becomes public and then suddenly it's "I wanted to hold a press conference today to clear my name!" when we've only known for a few hours about this. It just rings hollow was the only point I was making. No need to read into it more than that.

I'm curious as to how it rings hollow? Supposedly, players testing positive and being exonerated is not uncommon, however we never hear press conferences from those individuals touting the fact that "the system works!"

It's obviously on Braun's best interest to not say anything assuming that his case will be treated like all those before him. Unfortunately, Braun claims he is getting fucked.

I don't personally believe him or disbelieve him, however, I do know that it would the height of fucktardation for him to draw attention to a test he feels he ultimately passed and is therefore meaningless since it would cost him millions of dollars.

I wonder how long the appeal process will take. This will be agonizing.

Forgetting everything else except for on-the-field stuff, the Brewers offense without Braun next year...eek.

Braun has a World Series ring?!

MLB GAF gonna be MLB GAF.

I think we gotta show some restraint until we find out what happened, no matter what the public perception may be. It's hard, but the Duke Lacrosse debacle shows that irresponsible reporting can have a real effect on the lives of innocent people. I dunno, I guess as much as I'd like to have an NL Central championship next year, I don't really want it like this. (lol, like we'd have a shot in Hell anyway)

Do we know what specific substances he tested positive for, or is it safe to presume the worst? (I can't watch ESPN because I'll be forced to watch that Indiana shot over and over again)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i'd like to wait for the appeal to pass judgement on Braun, but he is already guilty in the eyes of the public.
what stupid thing did they do now? This thread is hard to read without avatars.

Sanjuro

Hopefully he gets traded to the Angles and wins one soon.

Nah, like those guys he has been painted with the steroids brush and regardless of what happens from here on out, like those listed, he is a cheater in the eyes of the public.

Yeah, that is my only point really. It's simply a sexy media witchhunt ultimately. Not many people actively care until they were told they should be up in arms about Barry.

I honestly have no words. I was at a Christmas party all night with no wireless/cell service (intermittent at best).

Personally, I'd get rid of Braun. I have zero care about PED's. If it were up to me, there would be no such thing as illegal substances. However, the fucking piece of shit is a God damned cheater. Anything any team does with Braun apart of it is as tainted as the Brady/Belichick Patriots.

I feel like someone kicked me in the balls.

Chill, brother. I'm still of the belief that this is entirely a mistake. Braun will be exonerated, Tony La Russa and the Dodgers organization shall be banned from baseball for attempting to dirty Braun's reputation, and all will be right in the world.

I can't imagine the Brewers without Braun for two months. Their pitching will prop them up, but with Fielder most assuredly gone and Braun suspended, Hart will be our only big bat in the lineup.

*shudders*

newjeruse

Brewer release:
The following statement was issued tonight by Chairman and Principal Owner Mark Attanasio on behalf of the Milwaukee Brewers:

“Ryan Braun has been a model citizen in every sense of the word, both in the Milwaukee community and for the Brewers. Since joining our organization in 2005, he has been a person of character and integrity.

“MLB has put a confidential testing program into place, which I personally support, that has a specific review process that must be followed before determining whether a player is in violation. Ryan has issued a statement that there are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case that will support his complete innocence and demonstrate that there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. We are dealing with an incomplete set of facts and speculation. Before there is a rush to judgment, Ryan deserves the right to be heard. We are committed to supporting Ryan to get to the truth of what happened in this unfortunate situation.

“As a father, I take the use of prohibited substances seriously, because I know the effects they can have on the body and on a person’s life. I want the Milwaukee community to know that we support drug testing not only because it is MLB policy but because it is the right thing to do.

“I need to acknowledge that at this point the Milwaukee Brewers have not heard from the Office of the Commissioner or any official entity related to the MLB testing programs. Accordingly we do not have access to any of the facts or knowledge of any of the circumstances that are being circulated in the media with regard to Ryan Braun. The team will release follow-up statements at the appropriate time.”

I'm certainly surprised that Braun tested positive. Never got the impression that he would use.

Don't know that he's innocent, but I suppose it all remains to be seen.

legend166

Can someone explain to me why the penalty for doping in the MLB is only 50 games? That's less than a third of the season. That's weaksauce.

Ban them for two years like the WADA code says.

Can someone explain to me why the penalty for doping in the MLB is only 50 games? That's less than a third of the season. That's weaksauce.

Ban them for two years like the WADA code says.

The original ban when everything started in 2004 was only a 10-game suspension. Then 50 games and then a lifetime ban.

I think it's just one big misunderstanding.
... about just how long it took for all the Winstrol, synthetic testosterone, and Bulatanol-14 he took to clear his system? I agree.
Okay but seriously: if they knew this mothafucka had tested positive, why did they still let him win the NL MVP award?
AldersonVampires.png

Braun supposedly requested a second test immediately after the first test and it came back negative. He also seems to have some iron clad evidence that the first test was invalid.

If this really does turn out to be a case where something fucked up happened, Braun should sue the shit out of ESPN.

Braun supposedly requested a second test immediately after the first test and it came back negative. He also seems to have some iron clad evidence that the first test was invalid.

If this really does turn out to be a case where something fucked up happened, Braun should sue the shit out of ESPN.
Obviously he took some female estrogen so the 2nd test would fail. Did you see how he looked in TV in October? He looked like one of them prettyboys in the J-Pop scene with his shiny flowing hair. I thought I was watching some shitty yaoi-themed anime that darkside31337 enjoys.

Obviously he took some female estrogen so the 2nd test would fail. Did you see how he looked in TV in October? He looked like one of them prettyboys in the J-Pop scene with his shiny flowing hair. I thought I was watching some shitty yaoi-themed anime that darkside31337 enjoys.

No he read the Neogaf thread about cold showers.

1) Gives you shiny hair

2) Ups testosterone.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Keep me out of your homoerotic fantasies you have involving Ryan Braun, thanks.

And my anime isn't shitty :(

I honestly have no words. I was at a Christmas party all night with no wireless/cell service (intermittent at best).

Personally, I'd get rid of Braun. I have zero care about PED's. If it were up to me, there would be no such thing as illegal substances. However, the fucking piece of shit is a God damned cheater. Anything any team does with Braun apart of it is as tainted as the Brady/Belichick Patriots.

I feel like someone kicked me in the balls.

c'mon son.

squicken

In fairness to Braun, I think 80% of professional athletes are on something. He just messed up his masking agent. People make mistakes

In fairness to Braun, I think 80% of professional athletes are on something. He just messed up his masking agent. People make mistakes
LOL :)
I don't know about percentages, but I agree that most athletes are probably using illegal stuff. At least, it's one more cheater to add to the list for sure.

Doytch

Aww wtf. Apparently the posting period is four business days, so Darvish's ends Wednesday night. Thought the jays would have a new #2 tomorrrow.

Braun tested positive for a banned substance, not performance enhancing drugs, according to Ken Rosenthal. Nobody has ever seen a result like his before.

eznark

Banned
Sounding more and more like ESPN is flat wrong in most of its story. Rosenthal it was not a PED but a banned substance. Haidricourt says the results were unlike any seen before and that MLB is on Brauns side. Even Richard Justice, leader of the steroids witch hunt claims he believes Braun.

Fucking bizarre and pretty obvious that MLB never wanted this out, at least not yet.

Sounding more and more like ESPN is flat wrong in most of its story. Rosenthal it was not a PED but a banned substance. Haidricourt says the results were unlike any seen before and that MLB is on Brauns side. Even Richard Justice, leader of the steroids witch hunt claims he believes Braun.

Fucking bizarre and pretty obvious that MLB never wanted this out, at least not yet.

I really hope he's exonerated, because I can't bring myself to cheer for a known cheat.

I had no problem with ESPN reporting this info before - if information is leaked and ESPN has done their due diligence in investigating it, then by all means, they have a right to report that information.

But, if in fact, it does turn out that Braun tested positive for only a banned substance, then ESPN has been mis-reporting this from the first. That's incredibly shoddy journalism. What a bunch of clowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom