• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

neoemonk

Hopefully we can win game two, but going back to Detroit down two games was certainly something I thought about.

Just hope it doesn't come to that.

see5harp

I like how all of the Packers players got their commercial deals before their team peaked and they were shown for the frauds they are.

But really though I secretly wish the niners had drafted the home grown California stud. We would have won multiple super bowls by now with him and that defense.

see5harp

Man Timmy has looked good in every game he's come in to relieve. Maybe this will get him back to pitching well. He actually looked extremely good last year.

They should rename them the San Francisco Gods.

They are untouchable.

2051242032_0ed2de71d6_o.jpg

"Who could have expected Verlander to be bad tonight and Zito to outlast him?"

Anyone who has watched the Gods the last few games could have predicted that. Unfortunately, too many people were too busy obsessing over Verlander.

San Fran Gods.

see5harp

Is it a stamina thing? Is his velocity that much better relieving and is that the main difference results-wise?

It's not stamina. He's given up a ton of runs early this year. To be fair he's also been unlucky, which also happened last year where he didn't win a ton of games (no run support). His ERA was super high this year though. Last year he had a crazy year with an ERA lower than his 2010 numbers and that was when Giants pitching was basically untouchable. I still think he has the stuff to be an ace but I don't know if he'll ever be the crazy strikeout pitcher he was early in his career.

No, he sucks at starting games this year. Either he would start and give up a few runs before finding his pitch, or he would just outright suck.
If that's the case, then wouldn't his relief performances just be a case of small sample size (and random fluctuation)? I mean, if you expect him to take a while to settle down, that doesn't necessarily explain why he can pitch well out of the bullpen where he's going a inning or two each outing.

geeko

If that's the case, then wouldn't his relief performances just be a case of small sample size (and random fluctuation)? I mean, if you expect him to take a while to settle down, that doesn't necessarily explain why he can pitch well out of the bullpen where he's going a inning or two each outing.

I can't explain the phenomenon. He is doing amazing as a reliever, but when he starts a game, it almost always goes bad. Kind of explainable.

aFIGurANT

Maybe Lincecum is just not as effective after the first time through the lineup? Pretty sure he escaped the first 2-3 innings in game five of the NLCS with only one run, but then had to be pulled before he could get through all 9 hitters again.

linkboy

Thank Mike Nolan, Terry Donahue and Mike McCarthy for passing him up

The 49ers wouldn't have done jack shit with Rodgers because Nolan sucks as a coach. Also, Terry Donahue had nothing to do with that draft (since he was fired before Nolan was hired), but I'm cool with blaming him anyways since he's a jackass.

As for Rodgers, he would have left the minute his rookie contract was up and told Nolan (and Singletary) to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Top Bottom