• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Tim Hudson interviewed on local radio about last Friday's infield fly rule insanity.

How would you rank the infield fly call?

“I think it’s one of the worst judgement calls I’ve ever seen. Obviously it was a pop up, but it was a pop up that was in shallow left field. It was a baseball play in my opinion. There was nothing routine about it. … The rule of the infield fly rule was to keep the infielders from being able to deke the runners from getting an easy double play to not leave the base runners out to dry. That ball was so deep that even if they did drop it on purpose they couldn’t even have got one force out at any of the bases. Dan [Uggla] was on second base and he was half way between second and third because he was anticipating him not being able to make that catch because it wasn’t a routine ball. It was so much further than any infield fly rule that I have ever seen and at the same time there is plenty of pop-up balls that land in that bermuda triangle that are base hits a lot, that are misplayed. In my opinion it was a baseball play. It wasn’t an infield fly rule.”

Do you agree that if the umpire was going to make an infield fly rule call it should have come earlier than it did to protect the runners?

“Yeah they are suppose to make that infield fly call when the ball is at its peak height. That ball was only 30 feet from hitting the ground when you saw his arm go up. There’s no way anyone on St. Louis’ team was anticipating that being an infield fly rule. Nobody on the St. Louis Cardinals team, not one guy, thought that was an infield fly rule when the field umpire called it.”

On the big difference between having the infield fly rule called and have the bases loaded with one out for an opposing pitcher on the road in a playoff game

“You have Brian McCann coming in right there pinch hitting. It should have been bases loaded, one out. Obviously it’s a much different ball game for who was it: Mitchell Boggs pitching at the time? He’s a guy that has great stuff, but when you have bases loaded in a visiting ballpark and you are only up by three runs with one of your big boppers at the plate … you know that pressure gets a little tighter around the throat. … I saw that as our opportunity to get back into the ball game and obviously with that bad call, I don’t care who you are … if you are a baseball guy you understand that wasn’t an infield fly rule. The only people, in my opinion, that are saying that it was the right call are the guys in baseball who are trying to keep the crap storm from stirring any further than it is. That’s usually the guys affiliated with the MLB, whether it be Joe Torre or the umpires or whatever. They know in their heart of hearts it was a bad call. It was a bad judgment call. By rule it might have been the right call. Just saying it was a judgment call, but it was a horrible judgment call in my opinion. You can say a guy didn’t swing when he takes a full hack if the home umpire doesn’t call a swing and he checks with the third-base umpire and he says he didn’t swing, but if the guy swings and it’s obvious to everyone in the stadium that he swings, but the two umpires have the judgment call no swing, then there’s nothing you can do about it. That’s the same kind of situation we were dealing with the infield fly rule.”

So you guys aren’t saying the bad call by the umpires lost you the game because you put yourselves in a bad position to begin with?

“Listen, we shot ourselves in the foot already. There’s no question about it. We put ourselves behind the eight ball and it was not in our character to do that. All season that wasn’t the kind of team that we were, but the one thing is we needed some kind of opportunity to get back into the game. We needed some help because we had been so bad for the first six innings defensively, that we needed some help and that was our chance. I felt like that was our opportunity. I felt the momentum was slowly starting to turn our way a little bit for those last two or three innings and then all of a sudden that bad call pretty much pulled the carpet out from under our feet.”

Have you ever seen a stadium get punched in the stomach the way the Braves fans did after that infield fly call?

“Well I just think that it was such an obvious call. It was such an obvious no call is what it should have been. It should have been a baseball play and let the play play itself out. It’s just one of those things where the guys are supposed to be the most professional guys in that area, which is the judgment of baseball rules and the calls. It seems like they were the only ones in the stadium that didn’t know how to score that. It was one of those things where it was like ‘C’mon guys, what are you watching?’ You cannot let this happen in this game. It’s such a big game and obviously it’s a one-game playoff and something that will potentially impact the outcome of a game. I thought for sure they were going to change it, but it’s something that they didn’t and they still say they stand by their call, which in my opinion is dead wrong. I don’t blame the fans for doing what they did and reacting the way they did. Show them some passion and let them know that they didn’t get the call right. That’s not something that I condone or the Atlanta Braves condone, but I was fired up to see everybody in the stadium just ticked off at what just happened. We were the same way and it’s something that, after a little while, I think it’s a little bit embarrassing, but at the same time one side of me was just happy to see our fans just backing us up and letting them know how they felt. And one side of me was saying, ‘Let’s get back to baseball. Let’s stop throwing the beers for another day.’”

explain yourself ConradCervantes

Fire Y2Kev while you're at it, E. His presence in MLB-GAF makes the so-called Yankees Council believe they're above it all, snooty New Yorkers anyway.

now I never try to personally insult anyone who comes to this thread. I always hope that more fans of more teams come in, but if you can't handle a bit of humor (and an inside joke about the Yankee fans) perhaps you should speak up? I didn't realize it irked people so much....
about the only time I see myself or any Yankee fan "engage" other fans in I think good nature ribbing(or honest disagreement) is when there is a game on, or about a player's skill. if there has been outright hostility i've never seen it. otherwise you can look high and far but you won't find anyone being snooty, unless of course you think being wherever you're from is a holier-than-thou land.
i'm sure we'll agree to disagree.

edit: oh, also, to finish the story about the whole Maryland state trooper asking for autographs and how Swisher was allegedly "LIVID" (according to the New York post) the Daily news had quotes directly from Swisher today saying how he told the trooper that "he'd get him (the autograph) later" but he was no where livid.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I dont know how people get the notion that the yankees council is above everyone else when Braves-Gaf is clearly the best gaf out there. Nothing really compares.

explain yourself ConradCervantes

now I never try to personally insult anyone who comes to this thread. I always hope that more fans of more teams come in, but if you can't handle a bit of humor (and an inside joke about the Yankee fans) perhaps you should speak up? I didn't realize it irked people so much....
about the only time I see myself or any Yankee fan "engage" other fans in I think good nature ribbing(or honest disagreement) is when there is a game on, or about a player's skill. if there has been outright hostility i've never seen it. otherwise you can look high and far but you won't find anyone being snooty, unless of course you think being wherever you're from is a holier-than-thou land.
i'm sure we'll agree to disagree.

Clearly I need to re-apply to the GAF School of Playful Posting, more smilies and such. Kev and the Council are the amongst the least of my worries here. I only have a problem with one poster in MLB-GAF, and only because he shows up during the playoff and shit-talks other teams.

Sorry for the crossed wires.

McNei1y

To the A's expense, I wouldn't mind if they lost and have the game pushed back to 5pm tomorrow so I can actually make it by the second inning or so... but I wouldn't be mad if they won. I don't want them to lose because of an hour push back. I'd actually be pretty excited if they tied the series.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wonder if it will be Latos or Leake tonight. I'm hoping for Latos so we don't have to make roster moves. Use Latos for 4 or 5 innings if he's still tired from earlier in the series and let the best bullpen in baseball lock it up for us.

I dont know how people get the notion that the yankees council is above everyone else when Braves-Gaf is clearly the best gaf out there. Nothing really compares.

Please. Phils GAF is clearly the best. There maybe only 2 of us but we keep posting no matter how bad the tam is or how much shit we get.

I wonder if it will be Latos or Leake tonight. I'm hoping for Latos so we don't have to make roster moves. Use Latos for 4 or 5 innings if he's still tired from earlier in the series and let the best bullpen in baseball lock it up for us.

reds announced its Leake tonight and they have removed Cueto from the roster. Means no Cueto for NLCS.....we're doomed.

stop smoking, clearly we're better.

Clearly I need to re-apply to the GAF School of Playful Posting, more smilies and such. Kev and the Council are the amongst the least of my worries here. I only have a problem with one poster in MLB-GAF, and only because he shows up during the playoff and shit-talks other teams.

i'm not mad (now) but kev's good people, look he's even banned me. see? all fair.

reds announced its Leake tonight and they have removed Cueto from the roster. Means no Cueto for NLCS.....we're doomed.

He wasn't going to go in the NLCS anyway. If there was a shimmer of hope that he would, they wouldn't have called up Leake. IMO

Anyway, I only really want to win an NLDS series. I don't really care if the Reds win anything after that or not, it's just icing on the cake. At least something to make me feel like the team is moving in the right direction.

jman2050

No one will ever beat SpoDaddy in the "only shows up during the playoffs and shittalks other teams" department.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I have two questions:

1. Can someone explain to me why even the two Division Series that don't involve the Wildcard teams and started a day earlier are using the 2-3 format?

2. Why the fuck is the Cards-Nats game today on MLB Network?

McNei1y

So I have two questions:

1. Can someone explain to me why even the two Division Series that don't involve the Wildcard teams and started a day earlier are using the 2-3 format?

Because MLB is dumb.

Fox318

So I have two questions:

MLB wants the home team to win.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So I have two questions:

1. Union shit

2. Wtf

So I have two questions:

1. They have to have the same rules for all the series in the same round.

2. Trying desperately to get cable companies to pick up MLBN.

HeySeuss

Well hopefully we get a decent 5 innings at least from Leake. Just depends which version of him shows up.

Sucks for Cueto though. I hope he keeps his spirits up in case we make it to the Series.

Top Bottom