• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
poor pirates

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7c2_1349096783

Also chipper jones was called up to the majors in 1993, the pirates havent had a winning season since. Maybe next year? (lol no probably not)

This was probably our best chance to go over .500, with it being the last season with the Astros in our division :|

We can easily go over .500 next season assuming we replace our GM and Manager, spend some fucking money in the off season, Marte continues to progress and hopefully Cole and Taillon (probably not Taillon) make the jump to the major leagues. I'll know if the Pirates are serious about next season by how they handle Garrett Jones in the off season, I personally hope they pay the man and keep him, but we're probably going to go the typical cheap Pirates alternative and place our bets on Brock Holt.

Our most pressing hole is at Catcher. We don't necessarily need someone who can hit, but it'd be nice to have a catcher who didn't give up steals 95% of the time. And I personally don't mind keeping Barmes at SS, assuming we improve the hitting around him considering his defense is pretty good. Although having Barmes, Barajas and the pitcher at the bottom of a lineup was pretty fucking nauseating... basically we gave up a handful of innings every game Lol.

I think we need also need to trade Hanrahan. Dude regressed hard this season, despite what his save total suggests, and it'd be nice to trade him while he still has some value.

I always figured next season, and not this one, would be the one where we finally came out of a 20 year slump.

eznark

Banned
This was probably our best chance to go over .500, with it being the last season with the Astros in our division :|

We can easily go over .500 next season assuming we replace our GM and Manager, spend some fucking money in the off season, Marte continues to progress and hopefully Cole and Taillon (probably not Taillon) make the jump to the major leagues. I'll know if the Pirates are serious about next season by how they handle Garrett Jones in the off season, I personally hope they pay the man and keep him, but we're probably going to go the typical cheap Pirates alternative and place our bets on Brock Holt.

Our most pressing hole is at Catcher. We don't necessarily need someone who can hit, but it'd be nice to have a catcher who didn't give up steals 95% of the time. And I personally don't mind keeping Barmes at SS, assuming we improve the hitting around him considering his defense is pretty good. Although having Barmes, Barajas and the pitcher at the bottom of a lineup was pretty fucking nauseating... basically we gave up a handful of innings every game Lol.

I think we need also need to trade Hanrahan. Dude regressed hard this season, despite what his save total suggests, and it'd be nice to trade him while he still has some value.

I always figured next season, and not this one, would be the one where we finally came out of a 20 year slump.

Unfortunately for you guys I think this was your last good shot for a few years. The Reds, Cardinals and Brewers are all better and younger and the Cubs are going to spend a fuck ton of money.

RBH

The 4-game series where they swept the Yankees in close 1-run games, including multiple walkoff hits was the turning point of their season.

They were playing well before that series. I honestly think their turning point was when they signed Brandon Inge, no joke. Team just started to play differently when he arrived.

cashman

Banned
They were playing well before that series. I honestly think their turning point was when they signed Brandon Inge, no joke. Team just started to play differently when he arrived.

I think you might be right on that.

edit: actually no. They signed Inge a lot earlier than I thought. They pretty much turned it around after they had that 8 game losing streak where they averaged 1.5 runs per game. After they snapped that, they took 3 of 4 from the Rangers, got swept by the Dbacks and then just started winning like crazy

69-38 since June 2nd.

harSon

Banned
Unfortunately for you guys I think this was your last good shot for a few years. The Reds, Cardinals and Brewers are all better and younger and the Cubs are going to spend a fuck ton of money.

Eh, not really. We're only a few players away from being a legitimately good team, instead of a team that has to overachieve to be good. If we can bring our payroll close to the MLB median (~$80 million), I think we will have added enough talent to easily reach .500.

We need someone other than Gabby Sanchez at 1B (Maybe transition Brock Holt? Because that's honestly the only position I can see him squeezing in at), a catcher and some depth in pitching and our bullpen. Burnett, McDonald and Wandy are fine, but we definitely need a 4th and 5th option (One of which is probably going to Cole when he's ready to come up) since Correia is obviously leaving and Karstens is far too unreliable. SS would be nice, but I don't think Barmes is that bad of an option on a team that can hit as a whole.

I'm confident with our outfield (Marte, McCutchen and Walker), Alvarez at 3B and G. Jones at 2B. We're honestly not that far from being good.

Tobor

Hey, guys.

I'm a longtime Nats fan who never posts in this thread. Just wanted to chime in and say its been a heck of a year. I'm very nervous about how the playoffs will go, but it's been a great year regardless.

I'm looking at playoff ticket prices on Stub Hub, and I've never been able to do that before! /wallet catches on fire

eznark

Banned
Eh, not really. We're only a few players away from being a legitimately good team, instead of a team that has to overachieve to be good. If we can bring our payroll close to the MLB median (~$80 million), I think we will have added enough talent to easily reach .500.

We need someone other than Gabby Sanchez at 1B (Maybe transition Brock Holt? Because that's honestly the only position I can see him squeezing in at), a catcher and some depth in pitching and our bullpen. Burnett, McDonald and Wandy are fine, but we definitely need a 4th and 5th option (One of which is probably going to Cole when he's ready to come up) since Correia is obviously leaving and Karstens is far too unreliable. SS would be nice, but I don't think Barmes is that bad of an option on a team that can hit as a whole.

I'm confident with our outfield (Marte, McCutchen and Walker), Alvarez at 3B and G. Jones at 2B. We're honestly not that far from being good.

I don't disagree and I didn't say they weren't good. I just think the rest of the division is better.

If the Os finish ahead of Yanks after last 3 games, WS confirmed.

Unlikely since the Red Sox intend to do anything and everything they can to lay down for the Yankees. That lineup tonight is downright embarrassing.

RED SOX (69-90)
Ciriaco 2B
Nava LF
Ross RF
Gomez 1B
Lavarnway DH
Saltalamacchia C
Valencia 3B
Lin CF
Iglesias SS

I hope the Yankees are cutting Valentine a paycheck.

For me, it's as simple as:

1. If Cabrera gets the Triple Crown, he's MVP

2. If Cabrera doesn't get the Triple Crown, Trout is MVP

How can Trout be the MVP when the Angels are third in the West and won't even make the playoffs?

Cabrera gets MVP, Trout gets ROTY, Price gets Cy Young, Showalter gets manager of the year.

xbhaskarx

How can Trout be the MVP when the Angels are third in the West and won't even make the playoffs?
Answer: Trout has had a better year than Cabrera

You'd think MVP was awarded to the best GM or something... "How can Trout be the MVP when Ervin Santana gives up so many runs, or when the Rangers and A's are better teams than the White Sox??"
Mike Trout: not MVP because he doesn't have Justin Verlander on his team. Or Mike Trout: not MVP because Hamilton and Cespedes are also good.
What's even more ridiculous is that even though the quality of his team shouldn't matter, the Angels are 88-71 in the much tougher AL West, whereas the Tigers are 86-73 in the AL Central, a division in which the last place Mariners would be in third place.
Mike Trout: not MVP because he doesn't get to face Luke Hochevar as frequently as guys who play in the shitty AL Central.

Whole bunch of scrubs in the lineup for the Sox tonight. They couldn't beat the O's, so they try to screw them out of the division. ITS A CONSPIRACY.

Cabrera gets MVP, Trout gets ROTY, Price gets Cy Young, Showalter gets manager of the year.

LMAO Angels have more wins than the Tigers. Then again, Cabrara4MVP people seem to love giving credit where it's not deserved so it makes sense that they'd spin the Tigers having less wins than the Angels into a positive for Miggy. Cabrera has no control over this mythical "Triple Crown" thing just like Trout has no control over the fact that he plays in a better division.

Hmm, lets see. More hits, HRs, RBIs, higher BA and SLG on a playoff team vs more stolen bases on a non-playoff team. Yeah you're right, Trout has clearly had the better year. Dumbass.

Is thsi the part where you leave out defense and baserunning because it's not fair to Miguel that he's fat and slow?

Cmon Trout is a more complete player. Cabrera has a great year going, but Trout is special. Guy is valuable in every facet of the game.

Chuck

Still without luck
Quoting for the last series of the season!

EVERYONE:

Don't forget about the MLB-Age IRC channel, filled everyone’s favorite posters from this very thread! Lurkers are welcome too! The easiest way to join is through the browser-based Mibbit, but there are also clients listed below.

Mibbit Link: http://mibbit.com/?channel=#mlb-age&server=irc.wiicafe.com

Info for IRC clients:

IRC SERVER (You can choose any one of these):
irc.browsingtheinternet.com
irc.gccafe.com
irc.wiicafe.com

IRC CHANNEL:
#mlb-age

CLIENTS:
WINDOWS: X-Chat, mIRC
MAC OSX: X-Chat Aqua (highly recommend), Linkinus
Browser: http://mibbit.com (MLB-Age link above)

iOS: Colloquy, Rooms
ANDROID: andChat, AndroIRC

(If you need any help with any of the clients, PM me here on GAF and I’ll try to help you out.)

Come join the conversation! ...and don’t join for 2 seconds and leave. It’s IRC, you should leave it open for a few minutes and see what happens. While you’re watching the game on your laptop, just leave Mibbit open in another browser and check back from time to time. Or, have a tiny client running in the background.

It’s always better with more people, so please join us in the MLB-Age IRC for the last week of the season and the playoffs!

Sanjuro

Get off your fucking high horses. RBI are so important, they made a video game out of it. I've never seen a WAR video game.

Lets clinch tonight!

piper.gif

Here's how I want the final days to go down:

O's win division
Yanks get Wild Card spot
A's win division
Rangers get 2nd Wild Card spot

Rangers eliminate Yanks in Wild Card playoff game

pawtucket red sox vs the new york yankees.
come on dude, you are smarter than that.

I'd only pick a player on a non-playoff team if his stats were MARKEDLY better then any players on playoff teams.

Think about it- lets take WAR (cause I know you kids love you sabermetrics). Cabrera's WAR is 6.5, those 6 games are the difference between the Tigers winning the Central, and missing the playoffs completely. Trouts is 10.5, those 10.5 are the difference between the Angels placing 3rd in the West and missing the playoffs... and placing 3rd in the West and missing the playoffs.

So really, wheres the "value" in MVP? Trout's a great player, he's going to win ROTY. But Cabrera, along with putting up better stats, has been more valuable to his team.

Is thsi the part where you leave out defense and baserunning because it's not fair to Miguel that he's fat and slow?

That's your argument? Trout has 2 assists and 2 errors, there are 11 players in the AL with more assists, and about 40 with less errors. Yeah, Cabrera has 13 errors at 3rd, despite it being his first year there since moving over for Prince. "But but but but... RANGE!" Save your range factor for some who gives a shit. Fact is defense plays a substantially smaller role in determining value then hitting does.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'd only pick a player on a non-playoff team if his stats were MARKEDLY better then any players on playoff teams.

Think about it- lets take WAR (cause I know you kids love you sabermetrics). Cabrera's WAR is 6.5, those 6 games are the difference between the Tigers winning the Central, and missing the playoffs completely. Trouts is 10.5, those 10.5 are the difference between the Angels placing 3rd in the West and missing the playoffs... and placing 3rd in the West and missing the playoffs.

So really, wheres the "value" in MVP? Trout's a great player, he's going to win ROTY. But Cabrera, along with putting up better stats, has been more valuable to his team.
so what you are saying is if Cabrera was as valuable as Trout the tigers would have clinched a week ago. gotcha.

(and btw I have stated this a million times already in this thread, Trout has been the superior offensive player this season. so I don't know where you are coming from with the better numbers argument.)

xbhaskarx

I hate humoring people on this team nonsense for individual awards, but:
- What would happen if you put the Tigers in the AL West and the Angels in the AL Central?
- Or if the Tigers didn't get to face the inferior competition in the ALC a disproportionate amount of the time?
- Or if Mike Trout didn't have to face the superior pitching staffs of the A's, Mariners, and Rangers (ranked 2, 3, and 7 in AL team ERA, as opposed to the 9, 10, 13, and 14--that's second to last and last-- teams) a disproportionate amount of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom