• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I'm the O's fan that MLB-Gaf deserves, and apparently the one that it needs right now.

I saw you die on that thread! how are you back! I DEMAND ANSWERS!!

What is dead may never die.

Oh, and what the hell is up with this Boston lineup? I thought we had an understanding Red Sox fans. I THOUGHT WE WERE COOLIO

so you were the one responsible for the O's plane nearly going down? some sick team bonding thing? is that it? WELL IT WON'T WORK! you broke the Red Sox heart last year, you think they'll help the O's in any way? never.

dmag1223

Is replacement level for 3B and CF pretty close? If they are even remotely similar, you have to give the MVP to Trout. Cabrera may be the best hitter, but Trout is the best all around player. The argument that the Tigers are going to make the playoffs so Cabrera deserves it may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I mean the AL Central is complete dogshit, and the Angels are a better team than the Tigers.

Also, this notion of the "triple crown" being the holy grail of hitting is antiquated. Its pretty cool that Cabrera is doing it, but when this triple crown involves RBI, which is the most useless hitter stat ever, it's kinda hard to take it seriously.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is replacement level for 3B and CF pretty close? If they are even remotely similar, you have to give the MVP to Trout. Cabrera may be the best hitter, but Trout is the best all around player. The argument that the Tigers are going to make the playoffs so Cabrera deserves it may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I mean the AL Central is complete dogshit, and the Angels are a better team than the Tigers.

Also, this notion of the "triple crown" being the holy grail of hitting is antiquated. Its pretty cool that Cabrera is doing it, but when this triple crown involves RBI, which is the most useless hitter stat ever, it's kinda hard to take it seriously.
CF and 3B are +2.5 in fWAR. I'm sure its the same with other sites. http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/war/war-position-players/

5qLGa.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
i'll happily take the extra tie breaker. one more chance to get to the division series.

Good point. I'm still hedged though.

Anyways, Jeff Locke is making me continue to not give a shit that we traded him away for McLouth.

Jangocube

Banned
I saw you die on that thread! how are you back! I DEMAND ANSWERS!!

so you were the one responsible for the O's plane nearly going down? some sick team bonding thing? is that it? WELL IT WON'T WORK! you broke the Red Sox heart last year, you think they'll help the O's in any way? never.

I posted one thing in that thread, it was along the lines of "People who do creepshots are weird, but you can't stop it nowadays with everyone having a camera at all times." And boom, I was banned when the wave of bans went out. I didn't think I posted anything bannable, but ya never know with certain mods......

And why won't you help us? We are nice people. I mean, just look at the beautiful icon to my left. Look at him. He's a nice guy, wouldn't harm a fly. I see you guys have thrown in the towel on this first game. I'd appreciate it if you could make a call and have your boys show up for Tuesday/Wednesday.

Oh, and Trout is the AL MVP. Not even close. Why are people arguing this still?

I posted one thing in that thread, it was along the lines of "People who do creepshots are weird, but you can't stop it nowadays with everyone having a camera at all times." And boom, I was banned when the wave of bans went out. I didn't think I posted anything bannable, but ya never know with certain mods......

And why won't you help us? We are nice people. I mean, just look at the beautiful icon to my left. Look at him. He's a nice guy, wouldn't harm a fly. I see you guys have thrown in the towel on this first game. I'd appreciate it if you could make a call and have your boys show up for Tuesday/Wednesday.

Oh, and Trout is the AL MVP. Not even close. Why are people arguing this still?

I saw your post and maybe... MAYBE might have been hugging that ban line but Bishop was out for blood so.... but I guess he felt compared to others you weren't so bad.

and also, Yankee council, remember? and Orioles do feed on insects i'm sure.

cashman

Banned
Yeah you're right. When the Angels are watching the playoffs from home at least they can hold their heads high knowing they won more games then the Tigers. Cause really, that's all that matters. Making the playoffs? Who cares. When all is said and done the only thing people will remember about this season is that the Angels won more games. The Tigers could go on to win the World Series, but nobody will care, because the Angels won more games. TROUT4MVP ANGELS WON MORE GAMES GUYS.

I guess since the MVP is a regular season reward that would kind of make sense. Trout was a more valuable player on a better team.

Jangocube

Banned
I saw your post and maybe... MAYBE might have been hugging that ban line but Bishop was out for blood so.... but I guess he felt compared to others you weren't so bad.

and also, Yankee council, remember? and Orioles do feed on insects i'm sure.

Yeah I guess.

Damn Zobrist, why, WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

Talon

Braves fans, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, it would be nice to actually win the division. On the other, it would probably be better for the team to go the wild card route at this point, rather then tieing for the division and then having to play an extra tie breaker game.
Fuck that. I want the division.

ok WW, lets just look at their basic offensive line.

So you conveniently ignore HRs and RBIs, while glorifying stolen bases...

And what does what Trout did 2 years in the Midwest League have to do with THIS YEAR?

edit: holy shit it's still the 2nd inning at the Yankees game.

jman2050

Braves fans, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, it would be nice to actually win the division. On the other, it would probably be better for the team to go the wild card route at this point, rather then tieing for the division and then having to play an extra tie breaker game.

Going for the division means you have two chances to play a meaningful playoff series. Settling for the wild card only gives you one chance.

The answer is clear.

And what does what Trout did 2 years in the Midwest League have to do with THIS YEAR?

Stolen bases are concentrated runs. They're the difference between a run scoring on one hit and a run not scoring at all. Having that speed on the basepaths causes pitcher mistakes, and keeps the bat in his hands in late game situations where slower players would be taken out for a PR. Trout has ~12 fewer runs than Miggy has RBI - in 141 fewer plate appearances. Stolen bases are big.

Culex

Banned
We all remember the last time the Red Sox were up against the Yanks 9-0, so let's wait until the game is over ;-)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

uhhh slugging percentage? (a batting line is (batting avg. / on base percentage / slugging percentage)). and RBIs are a team and lineup dependent statistic. They don't tell you about the talent of the player. Anyway about hitting in runs, trout has hit in 28% of the base runners on base when he comes up to the plate, Cabrera 30%. Cabrera has over 415 baserunners on base and Trout 274+.

and I was just giving you scouting reports on the players without using statistics that you wouldn't be familiar with. and its easier to find minor league reports.

anyway here are some defensive statistics from this season (although you need 3 yrs worth to get a good enough sample).

CF Trout 16.2 UZR/150
CF Trout 23 DRS

3B Cabrera -10.6 UZR/150
3B Cabrera -5 DRS

this plus the scouting reports paints a really clear picture. Cabrera is average to below avg defensively and Trout is above average defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom