• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Yeah you're right. When the Angels are watching the playoffs from home at least they can hold their heads high knowing they won more games then the Tigers. Cause really, that's all that matters. Making the playoffs? Who cares. When all is said and done the only thing people will remember about this season is that the Angels won more games. The Tigers could go on to win the World Series, but nobody will care, because the Angels won more games. TROUT4MVP ANGELS WON MORE GAMES GUYS.

You must love the 2006 Cardinals, they made the playoffs as division winners (and won the World Series) with a 83-78 regular season record. Who cares about winning games that is for chumps... playoffs with minimal effort! World Champions of being mediocre!!

You must love the 2006 Cardinals, they made the playoffs as division winners (and won the World Series) with a 83-78 regular season record. Who cares about winning games that is for chumps... playoffs with minimal effort! World Champions of being mediocre!!

Wow. You're actually insulting a team that won the world series because they didn't win the most game during the regular season. Even though they won the WS. You actually think winning the most games during the regular season is more important then winning the World Series.

Wow. You're actually insulting a team that won the world series because they didn't win the most game during the regular season. Even though they won the WS. You actually think winning the most games during the regular season is more important then winning the World Series.
Winning in the playoffs is more about being the hottest team in October than being the best team in baseball. Even with unbalanced schedules, a 162 game season is probably a better indicator of which team is the best than a couple weeks of games. The 2006 Cards team gets unfairly ragged upon re: their regular season record since they dealt with a lot of injuries and were mostly the same team as the 100+ win teams in 2004/2005. But even I acknowledge that they benefited from a really good stretch of pitching from unlikely sources (Jeff Weaver <3) that probably wasn't sustainable over a full season.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
one last post about this stupid topic

On Base Percentage (OBP) + Slugging Percentage (SLG) is On-Base Slugging (OPS).

OPS+ is a more advanced version of OPS. It is park adjusted. So it adjusts for the differences between Coors Field and Petco Park.

now what I wanted to get to was wOBA. wOBA is a weighted version of OPS. It adjusts for the fact that not all hits are equal. A single is more valuable than a walk etc....

Now which brings me to wRC+. it is wOBA's version of OPS+. It take into account park factors and because its based on wOBA its weighted correctly.

Sorry I had to go through all that, but basically wRC+ is the best offensive statistic to look at.

And what does it tell you about the Trout vs. Cabrera debate?

Trout wRC+ 172
Cabrera wRC+ 163

Trout is having the better offensive season. Combine that with his fielding and baserunning. He is the MVP.

Ok i'm done now. I can't make this argument any clearer.

OPS+ is a more advanced version of OPS. It is park adjusted. So it adjusts for the differences between Coors Field and Petco Park.

now what I wanted to get to was wOBA. wOBA is a weighted version of OPS. It adjusts for the fact that not all hits are equal. A single is more valuable than a walk etc....

Now which brings me to wRC+. it is wOBA's version of OPS+. It take into account park factors and because its based on wOBA its weighted correctly.

Sorry I had to go through all that, but basically wRC+ is the best offensive statistic to look at.

Trout wRC+ 172
Cabrera wRC+ 163

Trout is having the better offensive season. Combine that with his fielding and baserunning. He is the MVP.

tumblr_loa36gFXWN1qa7svi.gif

Winning in the playoffs is more about being the hottest team in October than being the best team in baseball. Even with unbalanced schedules, a 162 game season is probably a better indicator of which team is the best than a couple weeks of games. The 2006 Cards team gets unfairly ragged upon re: their regular season record since they dealt with a lot of injuries and were mostly the same team as the 100+ win teams in 2004/2005. But even I acknowledge that they benefited from a really good stretch of pitching from unlikely sources (Jeff Weaver <3) that probably wasn't sustainable over a full season.

It's a bit of both. Teams can get fat by being in weak divisions- The Mariners did it a few years ago when the won like 110 and got crushed in the playoffs, the Yankees did it a lot from 2000-2010 when the O's, Rays and Jays all sucked. But in the playoffs you only see good teams, yes teams can get unlucky and get bounced early, yes teams can get lucky or hot and go deep, but usually it's the better time to see which team has grit and which team is just faking it.

Trout wRC+ 172
Cabrera wRC+ 163

Look hard enough and you can find a sabermetric to prove anything. I never said Trout wasn't great, and I never said Miggy's stats blow him away, they're very close. All I said was that based on the common batting stats, used for a hundred years, Miggy slightly edges Trout. And because Miggy's contributions helped get the Tigers into the playoffs (WHICH I CONSIDER AN IMPORTANT FACTOR IN MVP CONSIDERATION), that Miggy should win AL MVP.

Trout wRC+ 172
Cabrera wRC+ 163

holy crap, i gotta save this for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom