• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

RGVNOE

I wanted to move him this past offseason but we'd have been screwed this season since our pitching depth evaporated in a hurry. We're looking at something like AW/Shelby/Lynn/Wacha with Kelly, Rosenthal, and Martinez fighting it out for the last spot next year. That's already two spots in the rotation slotted for rookies who will be inconsistent and/or will have an innings limit in place so I don't know if we can afford move Lynn without signing another starting pitcher. And somebody inevitably will get hurt.

You forgot Jaime, but even he would be watched carefully. I'd say move Lynn and Martinez for another good pitcher, since Matheny doesn't know what to do with Martinez. He puts him in the pen then rarely uses him then MO sends him down to stretch out for a starter, and when he brings him back p MM puts him back in the pen. I would like Martinez to stay I think he could turn out to be a good pitcher, but he doesn't have a spot there and holds good trade value so I think they could get a good player for both.

You forgot Jaime, but even he would be watched carefully. I'd say move Lynn and Martinez for another good pitcher, since Matheny doesn't know what to do with Martinez. He puts him in the pen then rarely uses him then MO sends him down to stretch out for a starter, and when he brings him back p MM puts him back in the pen. I would like Martinez to stay I think he could turn out to be a good pitcher, but he doesn't have a spot there and holds good trade value so I think they could get a good player for both.
Shoulder injuries are nothing to sneeze at for pitchers so I'm not going to get my hopes up for Hymay to be an effective starter in 2014. Mozeliak shouldn't pencil him into the roster and should plan accordingly.

I think we'll get a better look at Martinez and his role on the team when we aren't scrambling for pitchers both in the pen and the rotation midseason during a pennant race. He hasn't exactly wowed at the major league level so I don't know how much trade value he has since there were already concerns that he might be better suited for the bullpen. I think ideally, Rosenthal would slot into the rotation and do okay or better while Martinez gets more experience working out of the bullpen as a relief ace.

Yeah. Look at Josh Johnson after his shoulder surgery. He's totally busted. He never had surgery, but shoulder shit fucked up Tommy Hanson forever too.

RGVNOE

Shoulder injuries are nothing to sneeze at for pitchers so I'm not going to get my hopes up for Hymay to be an effective starter in 2014. Mozeliak shouldn't pencil him into the roster and should plan accordingly.

I think we'll get a better look at Martinez and his role on the team when we aren't scrambling for pitchers both in the pen and the rotation midseason during a pennant race. He hasn't exactly wowed at the major league level so I don't know how much trade value he has since there were already concerns that he might be better suited for the bullpen. I think ideally, Rosenthal would slot into the rotation and do okay or better while Martinez gets more experience working out of the bullpen as a relief ace.

I honestly think Rosenthal is pen guy, I mean he already looks tired and he doesn't have all the innings that the starters have. to me he looks good for maybe a closer so he'd have less appearances and he's got good stuff to close games out

cashman

Banned
This dude has played for the Isotopes this season and was 0-7 with a 6.46 ERA and a WHIP of 1.77. :lol I think we'll be okay without him even if he's done better for the Lookouts.

The Rangers signed Young to a 5 yr/$80m deal when he was 32 years old? Sheesh.

He was like the only thing worth a shit for the Rangers at the time.

Branduil

It's unbelievable how much the Rangers suck against bad AL Central teams.

They're going to blow the division because they can't beat Chicago or Minnesota.

Branduil

The twins, just beat us in a series. Gotta take care of business against the A's now.

If the Rangers collapse down the stretch again, are the writers going to give any blame to Ron Washington? I mean he got all the credit for their win streak after the team meeting, so it seems fair. But I guess that's not how it works.

cashman

Banned
If the Rangers collapse down the stretch again, are the writers going to give any blame to Ron Washington? I mean he got all the credit for their win streak after the team meeting, so it seems fair. But I guess that's not how it works.

Not really washington's fault they can't hit.

I honestly think Rosenthal is pen guy, I mean he already looks tired and he doesn't have all the innings that the starters have. to me he looks good for maybe a closer so he'd have less appearances and he's got good stuff to close games out
Rosenthal was a starter throughout the minors so I think he can get stretched out stamina-wise. He'd have to be on a strict innings count the first year obviously, which is why we can't afford to trade away pitching unless it's for a significant upgrade.

As long as the issue is decided in ST, I don't think there's a problem with giving him a shot at a rotation spot. And if he looks good enough to be an adequate starter, he's more valuable than as a closer. The biggest question is how less effective his fastball/change will be when he's not throwing 98 anymore.

Top Bottom