• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

Well guys, I'm probably going to get banned again.

I complained about something that other people were banned for complaining about earlier in a thread and it's only a matter of time.

Well guys, I'm probably going to get banned again.

I complained about something that other people were banned for complaining about earlier in a thread and it's only a matter of time.

Well look on the bright side. You'll probably be banned while the Reds are leading against the Cards

PItcher gives up back to back doubles and you're still down by 3 runs? What a perfect time to give them a free out!

Good. Nobody wants to watch the Cardinals in October.
:lol this guy

It would take a Boston/Atlanta like collapse for them to miss the one of the WC spots.

JABEE

Never understood why the Phillies didn't choke that series against the Braves. They would have crushed the Diamondbacks in the NLDS and the Braves would have gotten stuck facing the testosterone monster Ryan Braun.

Although to be fair, Charlie was throwing the fucking AAA Lehigh Valley bullpen at the Braves and they still couldn't beat them.

Yep. The Phillies probably would have won the World Series that year if they tanked those final games. The Phillies tried there hardest to lose that last game without just giving the game away. The Braves would not take the bait no matter how hard the Phillies tried to tilt the odds in the Braves favor.

alstein

It's not like that was the norm in the single WC era. Sept/Oct 2011 was a perfect storm of so many factors that fell into place. The odds of something similar happening again in any format are slim no matter what but at least the current setup guarantees an elimination game in each league every season.

And if there's a 5-10 game difference between the two teams it shouldn't come down to one game.

That said, no system is perfect, I just think the WC game is gimmicky and a step too far. I'm ok with one WC, two is silly.

I'd accept the DH in both leagues in order to eliminate the WC game.

crap forgot about the Labor Day game...

Germen's velocity has dropped noticeably over his last 3-4 outings. Was at 94-95 before, now at 91-92. Guy is tired, yet Terry is using him b2b. C'mon Terry, rosters expanded.

EDIT: Well you couldn't fool him again Germen. :C

Hey this game is on JSports also! lol

I think the previous format really limited how much you could put the Wild Card team at a disadvantage.

I like the idea of a one-game playoff, but then you get a situation like last year where the Cardinals ended up beating the Braves because they won a crapshoot single game even though the Cardinals finished six games back of the Braves.

Someone proposed an idea that I really liked.

In the Wild Card game, WC#1 should get a pre-set run advantage depending on how many games they finished ahead of WC#2.

Last year, the Braves would have started with a 6-0 lead over the Cardinals. The Rangers and Orioles would have started even at 0-0.

alstein

I think the previous format really limited how much you could put the Wild Card team at a disadvantage.

I like the idea of a one-game playoff, but then you get a situation like last year where the Cardinals ended up beating the Braves because they won a crapshoot single game even though the Cardinals finished six games back of the Braves.

Someone proposed an idea that I really liked.

In the Wild Card game, WC#1 should get a pre-set run advantage depending on how many games they finished ahead of WC#2.

Last year, the Braves would have started with a 6-0 lead over the Cardinals. The Rangers and Orioles would have started even at 0-0.

I like that idea. It's gimmicky, but the whole thing is gimmicky so why not go the whole way.

What about 1/2 game leads though- where one team only plays 161 games?

I like that idea. It's gimmicky, but the whole thing is gimmicky so why not go the whole way.

What about 1/2 game leads though- where one team only plays 161 games?

Then they would obviously require the completion of the missed game. They already changed the rules to make it where if there's a tie even between teams both guaranteed for the postseason, they have to play a tiebreaker game anyways.

Den Dekker, Lagares, and Choo sounds good to me.
Choo is going to be overpaid. I'd rather just sign the guy Choo is a poor man's version of.

carlos_beltran--300x300.jpg

Or in regards to that WC run advantage idea, you could do this:

Give WC#1 the option of either homefield advantage for the game or the pre-game run advantage. But if they pick the run advantage, they have to play the game in WC#2's stadium. You do that so WC#2 is guaranteed the final at-bat so they can come back.

I should be Commissioner.

Cool, Vic Black gonna make his Mets debut. Lotta buzz in the organization that he's going to be the closer of the future. Trade Parnell for a bag of balls.

Wahoo I'm at the game today between the Indians and the Mordecais I mean the Orioles. Beautiful overcast day with a breeze. Was also free 73 logo tshirt day today :) I took a few photos will upload them later!

I'd be okay with two wild cards if it was a three-game series and not one game.
The whole point of the play-in game is to reward the division winner(s) and you want the division winner who plays the WC winner in the LDS to sit around for half a week?

Choo is going to be overpaid. I'd rather just sign the guy Choo is a poor man's version of.

carlos_beltran--300x300.jpg
Even if it costs you guys your first rounder? I can't imagine the Cards not giving Beltran a qualifying offer.

EDIT: I guess Choo could be given a qualifying offer as well.

Man if Q could get a hit here things could get kinda interesting.
Even if it costs you guys your first rounder? I can't imagine the Cards not giving Beltran a qualifying offer.
I've heard rumors they don't have any intention of signing him.

EDIT: I've heard if they offer arb and he accepts, Cardinals might have to pay $14 million. Cards wanna take that chance?

I've heard rumors they don't have any intention of signing him.
Unless they have some sort of under-the-table agreement not to make the offer (so Beltran can get more suitors), there's no reason not to. Beltran most probably will want a multi-year deal and decline the qualifying offer.

The worst case scenario of offering is that he accepts a one year, $14M deal and gets hurt. The Cards have shown a willingness to take gambles with short free agent contracts (see Berkman, Beltran contracts). We have the payroll flexibility to pay the guy $14M for a year since there are no worthwhile free agent SS to throw money at and free agent starting pitching is way overvalued. Taveras may need more seasoning at AAA since he missed a good deal of time with his ankle injury.

I dunno. Paying Beltran 14 mill to sit on the bench doesn't seem like a Cardinals move. They have Beltran, Taveras, Craig, and Adams for RF, CF, and 1B. Beltran can only play RF, he'd be the odd man out.

I dunno. Paying Beltran 14 mill to sit on the bench doesn't seem like a Cardinals move. They have Beltran, Taveras, Craig, and Adams for RF, CF, and 1B. Beltran can only play RF, he'd be the odd man out.
If Beltran returns and is healthy, he would be the de facto starter in RF but he'd probably be given more rest days to get Craig/Adams more ABs. Taveras, as I said above, will probably be in AAA for a few months and might not be a full-time player in 2014 even when he joins the major league club. Holliday is getting up there in age so he'll probably need more days off here and there as well. They could dangle Adams in a trade if they wanted to.

Resigning Beltran to a one year deal wouldn't be the most ideal situation (getting a draft pick for him leaving is) but overpaying him by a few million for 2014 for some depth isn't the end of the world. The thing is, they have a lot of money coming off the books (some $40M between Beltran/Carpenter/Westbrook/Furcal) and nothing to really spend it on. I'd rather they gamble on Beltran than spend frivolously on the Ty Wiggintons of the baseball world.

Top Bottom