• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy, Murphy.

Shut the fuck up.

Waaaaaah. You're the one guy that can hold that L.

I love the ESPN narrative that the Mets gave away the series, when the Royals took it. Both teams were great, but one played better in every facet of the game.

I don't believe in destiny, but damn did this feel like something approaching it. I don't think we'll see a team come back eight times in the playoffs ever again.

prag16

Banned
Doesn't work that way though. The Royals outscored opponents 51-11 from the 7th inning on. Overwhelming domination.

If instead they had outscored opponents 51-11 in innings 1-4, would that be any more impressive? No, but it would have prevented opponents from thinking they were going to win.

Because win probability swings back and forth during a game, both teams can cherry pick moments in which they had a good chance. The Mets can look at the moments they were in good shape and say they should have won, but the Royals can look at the moments they had 100% probability of winning to say they should have, and did, win.

The Mets gave the Royals a lot of opportunities and the Royals took advantage of these opportunities, turning them into runs. That's the game they play. The Royals won and should have won because this is exactly what they do to win. Take a look at the rest of their playoff games.

That's funny because in the pretty recent past we had this: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/judging-the-royals/article641403.html

That just shows the other extreme. That is the extreme that probably is closer to most teams' performances when trailing after 7/8 innings. Royals postseason 2015 is the other extreme. Again, in no way means they didn't deserve to win. Quite the opposite. We're arguing semantics at this point.

Sandbagging early and turning it on late isn't a "strategy". The Royals were trying to win and score runs for the entirety of the games. They trailed for the vast majority of all but game 2. It typically doesn't end well for teams that do that.

I don't believe in destiny, but damn did this feel like something approaching it. I don't think we'll see a team come back eight times in the playoffs ever again.

No, we probably won't. That is even more indication of the statistical aberration we witnessed this postseason. They got it done and they deserved the wins, but to try to argue the Mets didn't piss this away is just silly. Like the Royals had them right where they wanted them the whole time. You bring leads into the 8th and 9th, you win games an overwhelming majority of the time. I don't care who you play.

Hearing that the Royals are "unsustainable" and a "statistical aberration" and a fluke when they won the ALCS two years in a row, had the best record in the AL for the majority of the 2015 season, and then won the World Series... after a while it gets kinda strange. Like, how big does the sample size need to be?

zroid

Banned
Hearing that the Royals are "unsustainable" and a "statistical aberration" and a fluke when they won the ALCS two years in a row, had the best record in the AL for the majority of the 2015 season, and then won the World Series... after a while it gets kinda strange. Like, how big does the sample size need to be?

To be fair, the 2014 team was pretty different from the 2015 team in terms of performance. Not really sure you can compare them directly like that. Nobody knows if this Royals team's success is wholly sustainable, but lessons we have learned in the past suggest it might not be. We'll just have to see!

Besides, who cares, right? A championship is a championship.

To be fair, the 2014 team was pretty different from the 2015 team in terms of performance. Not really sure you can compare them directly like that. Nobody knows if this Royals team's success is wholly sustainable, but lessons we have learned in the past suggest it might not be. We'll just have to see!

Besides, who cares, right? A championship is a championship.

Their rise also correlated pretty much perfectly with the decline of the Tigers, too. That's more important than anything, I think

It was a perfect storm, and until the rest of the AL Central gets it together I can see another year, maybe two of them winning. But I could easily see Cleveland winning if they put it all together, maybe even Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom