• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB World Series 2015 |OT| Disrupting the time continuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duane, JDharb, Tragicomedy, devilhawk, Askani and the rest of you guys.
you all went through lots of awful years. and now it has paid off. congrats to KC a well deserved victory.
I'd say these Royals remind me a lot of the 1996 Yankees. wonder if they got a few world series wins in them?

Mets? oh Mets. you were the Mets. on the other hand you got good pitching but shitty defense. you'll be in the playoffs again, I guess. please keep Murphy away from us.

nilbog21

Banned
I'm a baseball noob.. Why is everyone praising Hosmer in that play when that dude on first base couldn't throw it to his catcher (lol)?

Yea this sucks. Mets should have won the series but just too many mistakes at the worst times. I'm happy they made it this far but disappointed because they could have won this. We should be back though. And congrats to the Royals, I enjoyed watching you guys play last year, not so much this year lol.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lzp0u12.jpg

Murphy, Murphy.

At least you're not this guy. Right? GK86 please respond.

LOLOK.

Shut the fuck up.

Yea this sucks. Mets should have won the series but just too many mistakes at the worst times. I'm happy they made it this far but disappointed because they could have won this. We should be back though. And congrats to the Royals, I enjoyed watching you guys play last year, not so much this year lol.

You know you gotta win 4 games to win the World Series, right? One win isn't very close.

Just woke up and am waiting for the morning caffeine to sink in but I'd like to congratulate Royals-GAF. I can't even be upset at this loss as the Mets beat themselves up with costly errors and the Royals took complete advantage which is what a good team is supposed to do. Royals are a fine team with a ton of fighting spirit! I like that!

As for the Mets, most of the lineup didn't really show up this series including Cespedes who was AWFUL but then again without him the Mets wouldn't be in the postseason. The starters were as advertised and I hope they can stay healthy the next couple of years. Still have Zack Wheeler waiting in the wings. Familia was fine but the rest of the pen...not so much. Daniel Murphy suddenly remembered he was Daniel Murphy and he's a goner. Thank goodness. I had enough of him and I hope Dilson Herrera turns into a good player.

Enjoy the championship Royals-GAF! Hope you didn't get too plastered last night but I wouldn't blame you if ya did!

BumRush

Congrats royals-GAF. As much as I hate to admit it, you were the far better team (especially for a deep playoff run) than us. Enjoy it.

Askani

I'm a baseball noob.. Why is everyone praising Hosmer in that play when that dude on first base couldn't throw it to his catcher (lol)?

It was super ballsy and he was trying to force something to happen. By all rights, it was probably a dumb play because if the throw is where it's supposed to be, he's out by like 5 feet. It forced the Mets to make a play, and they didn't. Otherwise it was the 3rd out and we'd be talking about how how he shouldn't have ran but we would still would be up 3-2 in the series and we'd be coming back to KC.

He legit went out on a limb and stole that run to tie it up.

You know you gotta win 4 games to win the World Series, right? One win isn't very close.

had leads on those losses. look whatever. i enjoy watching the Royals and was cheering for them last year to win it all. I'm a big Lorenzo Cain fan. congrats Royals. see you guys in the WS next year.

entremet

Bummed out of about the loss. Yanquis fan, but I don't seeing mind the Mets do well, as long as they're not facing the Yanks in the WS.

KC has been a long struggling team, so there's a silver lining. It's good to see smaller market teams win. It's better for the sport.

Mets have a great young team. They just need some more pieces.

graffix13

They were talking on the radio about it this morning but the KCMO police tweeted out they had 0 arrests last night during the celebrations.

I'm glad we didn't riot and decide to burn our city to the ground while winning a world championship.

entremet

They were talking on the radio about it this morning but the KCMO police tweeted out they had 0 arrests last night during the celebrations.

I'm glad we didn't riot and decide to burn our city to the ground while winning a world championship.

Only in LA and Vancouver (LOL)

zulux21

I think Hosmers two botched fielding plays hurt him for the MVP. But he played really well outside of those two plays.

i'd say it was the .190 average. the MVP is almost always the batter with the highest batting average unless a pitcher dominated.

I think hosmer still lead KC in rbi despite the .190 average, and he only had a .190 average because he hit well in game 5 going 2 for 6 lol.

Clockwork5

Westport was so much fun last night. The Police were right there with us chanting "Let's go Royals!" and making sure we were all safe while we partied our asses off. Soo many hugs and high fives with fellow KC Royals fans.

It was magical

He's right. The Mets should have won it in 5.

Game 1 belonged to the Mets until Familia blew it. Then Wright made the huge error in the 14th to lead to the loss.

Game 4 they should have won too. The ground ball to Murphy that he botched opened the floodgates. Tyler Clippard also did them no favors with two walks.

Should have won last night too. Collins fucked up leaving Harvey in after the walk. Then you have Duda making a horrible throw on Hosmer bolting to the plate. Hosmer would have been out by a mile with a competent throw.

The Mets really did beat themselves. Familia has three blown saves, but only one of them truly belongs to him.

Game 1 belonged to the Mets until Familia blew it. Then Wright made the huge error in the 14th to lead to the loss.

Game 4 they should have won too. The ground ball to Murphy that he botched opened the floodgates. Tyler Clippard also did them no favors with two walks.

Should have won last night too. Collins fucked up leaving Harvey in after the walk. Then you have Duda making a horrible throw on Hosmer bolting to the plate. Hosmer would have been out by a mile with a competent throw.

The Mets really did beat themselves. Familia has three blown saves, but only one of them truly belongs to him.

Now we are in the "they didn't beat the Mets the Mets beat themselves" stage?

HBP

Has nothing at all to do with the fact that the Royals are the better team.

Sure, if bullpens and fielding weren't things you had to have in baseball, then the New York Mets would've had a helluva team.

graffix13

Westport was so much fun last night. The Police were right there with us chanting "Let's go Royals!" and making sure we were all safe while we partied our asses off. Soo many hugs and high fives with fellow KC Royals fans.

It was magical

I heard they were turning away people at P&L, due to it being past max capacity.

And I am already hearing that some schools are cancelling school tomorrow for the parade. It's going to be insane.

prag16

Banned
Has nothing at all to do with the fact that the Royals are the better team.

The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive. The Royals are the better team, but the Mets were still in position to win, and should have won those games, and probably WOULD have won in those situations a large majority of the time on average across a sample size much larger than three. Despite their deficiencies.

The Mets still should have won the series, but the Royals deserved to win the series.

The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive. The Royals are the better team, but the Mets were still in position to win, and should have won those games, and probably WOULD have won in those situations a large majority of the time on average across a sample size much larger than three. Despite their deficiencies.

The Mets still should have won the series, but the Royals deserved to win the series.

That's how baseball is though. Most games turn on a mistake, whether it's a fielding error, a tactical error, leaving in a pitcher too long, throwing a bad pitch, swinging at a bad pitch....if you wanted to spin it you could say the "X team beat themselves" thing about every game/series.

Pundits have said it all year and especially in the post season... one of the Royals' best talents is making exploiting little mistakes by opponents like nobody else. They just find that one little break in the armor that bad/cut off/wild throw, whatever it is, and then use it to blow the game open.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pundits have said it all year and especially in the post season... one of the Royals' best talents is making exploiting little mistakes by opponents like nobody else. They just find that one little break in the armor that bad/cut off/wild throw, whatever it is, and then use it to blow the game open.

Pretty much lines up with each of the Giants' title run teams. Pitch good enough, foul off a ton of pitches and get the ball into play, be solid defensively, and take advantage of mistakes.

Thanks again Brooks Conrad!

Putting balls in play will do that. Just by percentages alone if you keep hitting balls at infielders eventually they will fuck up once or twice. This is why I thought the Royals lineup matched up well with the Mets staff. The Cubs free swingers made them look godlike in comparison.

Doesn't work that way though. The Royals outscored opponents 51-11 from the 7th inning on. Overwhelming domination.

If instead they had outscored opponents 51-11 in innings 1-4, would that be any more impressive? No, but it would have prevented opponents from thinking they were going to win.

Because win probability swings back and forth during a game, both teams can cherry pick moments in which they had a good chance. The Mets can look at the moments they were in good shape and say they should have won, but the Royals can look at the moments they had 100% probability of winning to say they should have, and did, win.

Clockwork5

The Mets gave the Royals a lot of opportunities and the Royals took advantage of these opportunities, turning them into runs. That's the game they play. The Royals won and should have won because this is exactly what they do to win. Take a look at the rest of their playoff games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom