• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This OP shall down as one of the greats. But when a better OP comes along, this OP will be revealed as a can.
Who has this OP beaten exactly for it to be so great to begin with? All the other OPs it beat were cans. I can't wait until this OP is exposed for the fraud it is.

FACE

Banned
Hey cumbr, why is your post empty? I thought you needed to put at least one character in a post for the system accept it.

Seriously though, can you drop the creepiness? Your schtick has gone stale.

FACE

Banned
Ain't my fault that I have a modicum of taste and 99% of games released nowadays are crap.

Edit: To spare you the trouble:

ikwGUvU4tsqiG.gif

bone_and_sinew

Ain't my fault that I have a modicum of taste.
The only thing you taste is shit because that's what everything taste likes you. You're like Stan Marsh in that episode of South Park where he becomes so cynical that he develops hallucinations of seeing shit every where and sounds becomes farts.

inb4 "south park is shitty"

And friend, I do have taste. I have taste for the most refined action combat gameplay of this generation, one that rivals the likes of Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3:Special Edition from last generation. That is what Bayonetta provides.

1. First MMA Show you remember watching
2. 5 favorite fighters
3. first MMA show you've attended (if any) or first MMA show you want to attend
1. Aside from the odd PRIDE DVDs and old UFCs from the tournament era, the first MMA show I watched as it happened was UFC 86 just like our new friend Can. I never actually watched TUF until the Heavyweights season as I avoided all things reality TV and it didn't seem like something I'd enjoy and was more exposed to PRIDE/DREAM than TUF from 05 to 08 through DVDs that friends owned (and HDNET later). So I'm kind of the opposite of a TUF noob even though I started following the sport during the TUF boom. I think I became more of a hardcore fan around UFC 96 or so where I actually watched every fight on the main card and knew who most of the guys were and did so for every UFC from that point onward.

2. Fedor (love/hate relationship since the whole UFC negotiation thing/cherry picking fights in Strikeforce really pissed me off)
Cro Cop (every one of his UFC fights was painful to watch though, including Eddie Sanchez and Mostapha Al-Turk)
BJ Penn (His post-GSP Lightweight run was amazing to watch)
Alistair Overeem (Best striking in the HW division, gonna take Can Velasquez's name off of the OP)
Junior Dos Santos (Knockout king, he'll be back in the W column soon)

3. First show I attended was UFC 104: Machida/Shogun 1. Got free tickets from Uncle Dana when he gave them away through Twitter. Been to a fuckload of shows since including Silva/Sonnen 1, and the next show I'll be attending is UFC 157: Hendo vs. Machida.

And yes FACE, Bayonetta is up there with Ninja Gaiden: Black. Deal With It.

Bayonneta sucks.

Feels like a game stuck in the Ps2 era, with better visuals. Might as well just replay Ninja Gaiden Black.

bone_and_sinew

I played the demo, games are expensive here.
Fair enough. Just don't judge the depth of an entire character action game on a ten minute demo, I know you're smarter than that.
It'd be like someone playing NGB for ten minutes, saying "this is too hard and unfair, it's no good" and that's that.

FACE

Banned
Bayonneta sucks.

Feels like a game stuck in the Ps2 era, with better visuals. Might as well just replay Ninja Gaiden Black.

ibyY7F50tA29Sj.gif

Fair enough. Just don't judge the depth of an entire character action game on a ten minute demo, I know you're smarter than that.
It'd be like someone playing NGB for ten minutes, saying "this is too hard and unfair, it's no good" and that's that.

Not sure if this is a problem with the demo, but the enemies just stood around while I whooped their friends. It doesn't matter if the combat system is incredibly deep if the enemies are boring.

Funny that you mentioned NGB, one of the reasons I really like that game is that enemies are super aggressive from the beginning and it makes fighting them really fun.

bone_and_sinew

Not sure if this is a problem with the demo, but the enemies just stood around while I whooped their friends. It doesn't matter if the combat system is incredibly deep if the enemies are boring.
They don't do that on the higher difficulties (which is where the real game is much like how Master Ninja is where the real NGB is, everything else is just to train for that mode) and there is an entire dodging mechanic built on the premise of resuming combos you had to interrupt because you dodged.

bone_and_sinew

lol, I just realised it's only the first page and we've already derailed from MMA, like true MMA-GAF fashion.

FACE

Banned
They don't do that on the higher difficulties (which is where the real game is much like how Master Ninja is where the real NGB is, everything else is just to train for that mode) and there is an entire dodging mechanic built on the premise of resuming combos you had to interrupt because you dodged.

Maybe I'm bad at games, but NG:B was challenging even on the normal difficulty.

It's all young pitbull's fault, as usual.

It's not like there's anything worth discussing on that Strikeforce card. Gotta keep the thread going in the meantime.

Funny that you mentioned NGB, one of the reasons I really like that game is that enemies are super aggressive from the beginning and it makes fighting them really fun.

Yeah, Bayonetta is certainly from the can school of thought. Cans look good and flashy and dangerous when they are beating on even bigger cans than them.

Ninja gaiden is about constantly proving you are the best.

bone_and_sinew

It's all young pitbull's fault, as usual.
Let's get back on the saddle.

Friends, this weekend marks the death rattle of Strikeforce. They will cease existence after this card. What is your most memorable Strikeforce moment?

The armbar that shocked the world:

20100626090839_IMG_1749.JPG

The black eye on free national television and one of America's biggest networks:

Jake-Shields-takes-shots-at-Jason-Mayhem-Miller-after-Strikeforce-title-fight.jpg

One of the best one-round scraps I've ever seen and the fight of the year:

diaz_daley-610x406.jpg

The opening of a can:

carano_cyborg_fight.jpg

MjFrancis

On the subject of MMA-ness, I'm less than happy that I missed out on a PRIDE 49-DVD lot that only went for something like $135 w/shipping. The seller was dim enough to have the auction end on Christmas Eve, so I was watching it hoping to snatch it at a great price, but I ended up neglecting the auction while entertaining company and forgot to bid at the last moment. Someone out there got a great deal.

I probably would have just flipped it anyways.

ShaneB

The backtracking is truly awful, but I love the gameplay enough to overlook it. Nero is fun as hell to play

The only bit of DMC I've ever played was the demo for 4 when it first came out. Whatever 4 is like I will go ahead and assume the rest of the series is like and my opinion shall stand!

Problem is I'm enjoying too many other games at the moment. and books. and movies. and hockey is back soon.

2. 5 favorite fighters
I've answered these in the previous threads but for the new thread:

1. UFC 1 on ppv. I watched the next few on video rental, and then lost interest. Being from Hawaii, I'd kinda pay attention to the Inoue bros and BJ, but otherwise didn't follow until my friends started watching Pride in the mid-2000s. Sakuraba and Crocop were the first two Pride fighters I got into. I caught up with UFC via rentals and other means, and then rode the TUF/Spike wave here.

2. Aldo, Diaz bros, Barnetto, Candy, JLo

3. Not sure, one of the Super Brawls. I remember Jason Miller cut a haole heel promo and got the crowd all nuts.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/8...alistair-overeem-granted-license-nsac-ufc-156

The commission confirmed that Overeem had submitted 5 tests during his period of restriction and two more since. The most recent was on December 21, all 7 tests came back with a negative result. The commission went on to ask Overeem's advice on improving the testing process. The motion to license The Reem passed unanimously.
Bam. The dude doesn't do steroids so shut up about it now pls

I may as well take Cain's name off the OP right now and replace it with Overeem. The shit's inevitable, brehs.

bone_and_sinew

Oh yeah the questions:

1) I honestly don't remember because I casually watched UFC and PRIDE beginning in 2003 the way people casually watch boxing or only see the Super Bowl in the NFL. That's all I can remember. The first event I remember where I finally started watching more as hardcore and following the day-to-day stuff in the sport was Page-Hendo. I was super hyped for that fight.

2) Machida, Hendo, Korean Zombie, Crusher Kawajiri, Anthony Pettis, Nick Diaz. Yeah that's more than 5, deal with it.

3) None yet :( I'm waiting for something besides UFC Fight Night caliber cards or Bellator. I didn't go to Strikeforce Miami or any of Kimbo's fights in South Florida, which I kinda regret.

4) Hendo

5) Comeback to being a middling gatekeeper? Sure.

6) He has the greatest heart of any fighter I've ever seen.

bone_and_sinew

FACE

Banned
OK since we have a new thread we should do an introduction thing to get new posters or lurkers posting..

2. 5 favorite fighters

can't think of any other things, my brain is drained

1. I watched some Vale Tudo shows by accident. But Pride 10, specifically Igor Vovchanchyn x Enson Inoue, was the event that caught my attention.

2. All my heroes are dead.

3. Never attended a MMA show and I don't want to attend one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom