• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The ban bait threads are pretty obvious brehs. Just keep it light and fluffy and it's easy to avoid bans unless you just catch the wrong mod on the wrong day.

Rape, transgender issues, and x console is better than x console (unless the second console in that equation is an Xbox, 360, or XB1, in which case post away).

+

- sexism in videogames (which is the dumbest thing)
- racial issues
- any thread with heavy affluence by Gaf superstars

Jeez there are only 3 fights that I'm interested in within the next few months

Shogun Vs Hendo 2
Vitor vs Weidman
Wand vs Sonnen

I have like no interest in any other fight. Maybe Werdum vs Brown just so I can see him get a title shot.

Just mediocre garbage has been announced. Lol at Cormier vs the Donut guy

It's pretty obvious that Brazilian fans are the worst in MMA. They're more nationalists than any other fans out there.
Whenever someone like Anderson, JDS, Aldo or Vitor main events a card in Vegas, the fucking place is overrun with Brazilians. UFC 168 crowd was crazy.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
By the time it reaches where I live its to only be 3"-5" .. I can deal with that. Anything more than 5" and it gets to be a big pain in the ass.

Dude did you ever buy a rifle? Snow seems a bit inconsequential when bears are making sammiches in your kitchen.

Shogun vs Hendo 2 pisses me off. Those two are going to have major brain damage from those two fights alone.

Why not just let both of them destroy a bunch of middle tier competition, it'd result in some pretty fun knockouts.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shogun vs Hendo 2 pisses me off. Those two are going to have major brain damage from those two fights alone.

Why not just let both of them destroy a bunch of middle tier competition, it'd result in some pretty fun knockouts.
Squash matches and paid dives are for the Brazillians only.

iddqd

Has everybody seen Nate Quarry's UG post?

Full statement from Nate Quarry:

When I signed with the UFC this is what I was told"

We can't pay you much but you can have any sponsors you want.

Then: We need to approve your sponsors.

Then: You can't have any conflicting sponsors.

Then: You can't thank your sponsors after fights.

Then: We are not approving any sponsors that we don't like their product.

Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $50,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you.

Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $100,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you.

If a sponsor has a budget of 10k to sponsor a fighter, they are then out. If there are 5 shorts companies in the UFC you can only go to them for a sponsorship. If they have spent their budget or don't want to support an up and coming fighter they give you shorts instead of money. If you're fighting for $6,000 to show and fighting 3 times a year, even $500 makes a big difference. When there is no competition they don't have to pay you. I lost And1 as a sponsor when the UFC enacted the tax.

At the UFC summit a fighter asked if he could wear his own shirt. Dana laughed and said, "Uh... we can talk about it." I turned around and asked the UFC lawyer if I could wear my OWN shirt and he said, "Sure, give me $50,000 and we can talk about it."

People have no clue from the outside what it's like to fight for the UFC. After spending 10-15 years chasing your dream only to see that the company it's been your dream to fight for cares nothing about the fighters and only cares about the bottom line.

When I was fighting for the UFC we got X-Mas presents like an iPod. A very bottom of the line iPod but it was still cool. Now the guys get a gift certificate to the UFC store and can use it ONE day. Any money they don't spend on that day is forfeited.

A fighter gets to use the gym at the hotel he's fighting at for free. The cornermen and everyone with him have to pay. So I'm helping Leben make weight the day of weigh ins and have to pay to go sit in the sauna with him. The UFC couldn't say, "The fighter gets 3 people to go into the gym with him the week of the fight."

That's just nickel and dime stuff.

With every little bit they try to squeeze out of the fighters, the more the other organizations will look more attractive.

I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity to fight for the UFC and everything I have besides my daughter has come from fighting. But let's not fool ourselves. It's not a charity. It's a business. And they are doing everything they can to make money. The fighters are just a product to use and discard. Every up and coming fighter is the best ever. Every ex-fighter who then expresses an opinion is a coward, loser, etc, etc.

I fought for the world title for $10,000. Not a penny more. No bonus. No cut of the PPV. The gate alone was 3.5 million dollars. The third highest gate in UFC history at the time. And they must have loved the fight cuz they show the final punch at the start of EVERY UFC PPV. :)

And that's fine. Because it's a business. But sooner or later the allure of fighting in the UFC will not be as attractive as fighting for an organization that takes care of you, appreciates you, will let you have sponsors to help make up the income gap, doesn't trash you when you think for yourself, and on and on. Just like every business you work for. It's funny to me to hear people cheer for Dana when he says things that if he was your boss and he said them about you, you would be looking for another job. But when you're signed to a contract, you can't go anywhere. No matter how much you want to.

When I retired I received a form letter, EMAILED to me that said, "Should you choose to fight again you are still under contract with the UFC." I didn't even get a hard copy with a real signature that I could frame.

As I said, I love what the UFC has done for me and my family. And specifically what Dana has done for me.
But I also know it's a business. And that's the best piece of advice I can give to wanna be fighters. Fight for the love of the game. But you better treat it like a business. Because the promoter handing you a contract sure will.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/1...r-nate-quarry-the-ufc-cares-nothing-about-the

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
When I was fighting for the UFC we got X-Mas presents like an iPod. A very bottom of the line iPod but it was still cool. Now the guys get a gift certificate to the UFC store and can use it ONE day. Any money they don't spend on that day is forfeited.

this is amazing if true.

Heel

Dana White might snap in 2014. There's been a domino effect of bad shit happening to the UFC, and it's almost all from the seeds they've sewn. Even their biggest draw is piling on.

So much of this could have been prevented if they concentrated on being the gold standard of MMA instead of being greedy and sinking to the competition's level by spamming out favela fights branded with those three magic letters.

I understand there's currently an arms race for young MMA talent, but diluting your product with these bums while you try to find the next big draw is not the solution. No one knows who these motherfuckers are, and they're doing an awful job of helping people find out and care.

Need to find the next big thing and lock them into contracts? Make a "UFC Challengers" series and keep the $50+ pay-per-view product free of "Robert Whittaker" and "T.J. Waldburger." There's a reason WWE has NXT instead of letting every Tom, Dick and Jane from indie promotions on RAW. Same goes every other sport with a minor league.

Will they hit the reset button or will Dana continue the "If you don't like it, don't watch/buy it", "Don't complain until you've seen the fights!" routine as the ship sinks?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That's pretty enlightening stuff from Nate. L O Fucking L at giving out UFC store gift cards with a one day expiration as a holiday gift. Man, I can't wait until Dana's empire crumbles WCW style.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
somebody's press credentials getting revoked!

The UFC's bizarrely dishonest marketing of Ronda Rousey ahead of UFC 170

Mike Goldberg can be heard exclaiming regarding Rousey, "The first female to medal in judo in the Olympics."

The audio sounds manipulated, and I'm unsure what the original audio from Goldberg was, but it sounds like a word is edited out or two different things are pushed together as there's an unnatural inflection change.

But an advertisement has to go through so many people before it hits the air that one has to wonder how it could possibly be a mistake that the finished product includes such an untrue statement.

In an odd twist, Sara McMann could actually stake a claim to being among the first women to ever medal in wrestling in the Olympics, since she picked up her silver at the 2004 summer games, the first time the Olympics featured women's wrestling.

Rousey's accomplishments are legit. She's a tremendous athlete who has transitioned from Olympic medalist in judo (and, legitimately the first female American to win a medal in the sport) to the most dominant force in women's mixed martial arts, serving as the flag bearer for women in the UFC and someone who is a genuinely compelling personality.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Need to find the next big thing and lock them into contracts? Make a "UFC Challengers" series and keep the $50+ pay-per-view product free of "Robert Whittaker" and "T.J. Waldburger." There's a reason WWE has NXT instead of letting every Tom, Dick and Jane from indie promotions on RAW. Same goes every other sport with a minor league.

The UFC should just sponsor local events and dump their B-tier talent there with the understanding that a 3-win streak will get you back in.

Either that or ditch the coaches and "reality" aspects of The Ultimate Fighter and just make it a Bellator-style quarterly series of tournaments with B-tier talent and the implication being that if you lose you get cut.

i think jerome said he was friends with or went to school with this fine young lady.

Knew her inside and out. Her new tits are horrible though. She had perfect boobs. Real name is Laura btw.

all i see there is plastic.

the local model girl is an all natural beauty:

1911256_664081930297098_253577470_o.jpg

379182_493787703993189_639673124_n.jpg

Tell her to come to LA. I have photographer friends that can get her jobs.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
-snip

-snip

Either that or ditch the coaches and "reality" aspects of The Ultimate Fighter and just make it a Bellator-style quarterly series of tournaments with B-tier talent and the implication being that if you lose you get cut.
Both of these sound like ideal solutions and I would love a TUF with that format instead of the shitty reality show house drama bullshit.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Both of these sound like ideal solutions and I would love a TUF with that format instead of the shitty reality show house drama bullshit.

One of the problems needed to be tackled by the UFC is their "image."

This "image" being that they are supposed to represent the zenith of their sport. The UFC is supposed to be the NFL, the MLB and the English Premier League (EPL) of mixed martial arts. But that image is seeming being attacked by the UFC itself as they continue with this misguided mission to be both the alpha and omega of MMA.

The UFC need to realise there's never going to be competition for them. They've been here for 20 years now. They've claimed a cultural victory in that whenever someone thinks about the sport (whether in the US, Canada, Europe or Asia) they automatically think about the UFC. Not only that but now fans and critics both believe that no matter if you win a Bellator/Strikeforce/etc belt and defend it 10+ times then you still ain't shit unless you're in the UFC. To that end they should be making their roster work a lot harder and give a bit more leeway to smaller rivals such as WSOF and ONE.

Sure. the UFC now has 1000 events a year to now find dudes for. How about you run a small tournament at these regional cards? Get a bunch of local talent, put them on the undercard with the notion that the winners of these tournaments get a real UFC contract instead of a one-fight-only deal.

It's time to end the notion with fighters that their jobs are secure with one loss. And it's time to end the notion that you can get into the UFC with a couple of wins in a lower organisation. Put the fear of god into these fighters, make fighting in the UFC something to be proud of - and something to be literally worth fighting for - and then you'll have a roster full of dudes who believe that they should be there. And in doing so you will secure this "image" of the UFC being the highest point of the sport.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Dana White might snap in 2014. There's been a domino effect of bad shit happening to the UFC, and it's almost all from the seeds they've sewn. Even their biggest draw is piling on.

So much of this could have been prevented if they concentrated on being the gold standard of MMA instead of being greedy and sinking to the competition's level by spamming out favela fights branded with those three magic letters.

I understand there's currently an arms race for young MMA talent, but diluting your product with these bums while you try to find the next big draw is not the solution. No one knows who these motherfuckers are, and they're doing an awful job of helping people find out and care.

Will they hit the reset button or will Dana continue the "If you don't like it, don't watch/buy it", "Don't complain until you've seen the fights!" routine as the ship sinks?
I have honestly looked up Whittaker and Waldburger like 5 times on Wikipedia the last couple weeks and still can't remember shit about them. PPV is only $20 in Japan, but I don't think I can justify buying it. Watching a one-sided Rousey fight is fun, but who wants to watch Cormier crush some scrub, Rory jab Maia, and 2 fights with nobodies.

I'm a pretty new fan to MMA (started watching in fall 2011), so the first 2 years or so I ate up everything the UFC put out. Now I am literally about 1 bad card from jumping on team negative forever.

One of the problems needed to be tackled by the UFC is their "image."

This "image" being that they are supposed to represent the zenith of their sport. The UFC is supposed to be the NFL, the MLB and the English Premier League (EPL) of mixed martial arts. But that image is seeming being attacked by the UFC itself as they continue with this misguided mission to be both the alpha and omega of MMA.

The UFC need to realise there's never going to be competition for them. They've been here for 20 years now. They've claimed a cultural victory in that whenever someone thinks about the sport (whether in the US, Canada, Europe or Asia) they automatically think about the UFC. Not only that but now fans and critics both believe that no matter if you win a Bellator/Strikeforce/etc belt and defend it 10+ times then you still ain't shit unless you're in the UFC. To that end they should be making their roster work a lot harder and give a bit more leeway to smaller rivals such as WSOF and ONE.

Sure. the UFC now has 1000 events a year to now find dudes for. How about you run a small tournament at these regional cards? Get a bunch of local talent, put them on the undercard with the notion that the winners of these tournaments get a real UFC contract instead of a one-fight-only deal.

It's time to end the notion with fighters that their jobs are secure with one loss. And it's time to end the notion that you can get into the UFC with a couple of wins in a lower organisation. Put the fear of god into these fighters, make fighting in the UFC something to be proud of - and something to be literally worth fighting for - and then you'll have a roster full of dudes who believe that they should be there. And in doing so you will secure this "image" of the UFC being the highest point of the sport.
Yeah because fighters always do their best work under the threat of being cut. Case in point: Overeem.

i can't wait for the Ultimate to explode in Africa, selling 40 years old dudes as 20 years old upcoming youngsters.

true story, when i played for my hometown team, the under 15 team had a couple of Angolan guys in their early 20s playing with fake documents.

Top Bottom