• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Nice I can finally get my dream fight of Hauge vs Sylvia down the line

2EbcpKX.png

Dana White might snap in 2014. There's been a domino effect of bad shit happening to the UFC, and it's almost all from the seeds they've sewn. Even their biggest draw is piling on.

So much of this could have been prevented if they concentrated on being the gold standard of MMA instead of being greedy and sinking to the competition's level by spamming out favela fights branded with those three magic letters.

I understand there's currently an arms race for young MMA talent, but diluting your product with these bums while you try to find the next big draw is not the solution. No one knows who these motherfuckers are, and they're doing an awful job of helping people find out and care.

Need to find the next big thing and lock them into contracts? Make a "UFC Challengers" series and keep the $50+ pay-per-view product free of "Robert Whittaker" and "T.J. Waldburger." There's a reason WWE has NXT instead of letting every Tom, Dick and Jane from indie promotions on RAW. Same goes every other sport with a minor league.

Will they hit the reset button or will Dana continue the "If you don't like it, don't watch/buy it", "Don't complain until you've seen the fights!" routine as the ship sinks?

This is exactly what I was saying. Bring back WEC, complete with small ring, and make it a farm league. When you've proved yourself and created enough heat that people WANT to pay to see you, you can move to the UFC proper. Whittaker and Waldburger are exciting prospects but there's no way they should be on a $55 card. And its not just them. There are a lot of people lately that you could say that about.

Oh and btw friends, we all know the Diaz brothers want to watch the world burn so how great will it be when Gil moves over to Bellator and Nick and Nate go with him?

MjFrancis

Guida v. Gomez @ Bellator 112 looks like it could be a bigger squash match that Erick Silva's last fight. I finally got around to watching that. I'm convinced now that it wasn't a fix, but that Silva's opponent was hit hard and that guy had no idea how to react to that. Almost any other UFC fighter would have recovered and kept going, but this guy was way out of his league, even with a UFC gatekeeper.

Apparently defending the Welterweight King of Pancrase title six times doesn't translate well into a UFC career. He may as well have been defending the Greatest Welterweight Can of Japan title.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
UFC 170 |OT| Dumb Starbucks

(dude fighting Cormier was working the drive through at starbucks when he got the call)

MjFrancis

Zero hype for the Ronda Rousey card. I like that a champion of anything in the UFC is taking a fight seven weeks after defending the title, but let's all be honest about this. Rousey can't defend the title in the next few months because she'll be busy acting for bad action movies. She needed to take this fight now because otherwise she'd be waiting a year before adding another arm to her trophy wall.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Zero hype for the Ronda Rousey card. I like that a champion of anything in the UFC is taking a fight seven weeks after defending the title, but let's all be honest about this. Rousey can't defend the title in the next few months because she'll be busy acting for bad action movies. She needed to take this fight now because otherwise she'd be waiting a year before adding another arm to her trophy wall.

Or Dana had to rush it since he knows his boo aint coming back.

MjFrancis

Team positive going full Hindenburg

https://archive.org/details/SF145

We're not quite there yet. If I have a team, it's team apathy. There have been a shitload of cards I haven't watched. I didn't watch any HW championships last year and I don't think I'll watch another LHW championship at this rate. MW just got exciting, and WW looks good. LW is always fun even if the belt is on hold since Pettis is made of glass. Aldo is hit and miss no matter how good he is. Honestly the women's divisions are the most interesting UFC prospects outside of the Men's MW thought LW divisions. Big guys just earn more playing football and so MMA gets really diluted talent at those sizes. The women's divisions are exciting because they are new, but the appeal will fade fast when the sole elite fighter leaves the sport for more profitable ventures.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I....don't care that much about the card this weekend. What is happening

Women's Bantamweight Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Sara McMann
Light Heavyweight Daniel Cormier vs. Patrick Cummins
Welterweight Rory MacDonald vs. Demian Maia
Welterweight Mike Pyle vs. TJ Waldburger
Welterweight Robert Whittaker vs. Stephen Thompson

That's what's happening. Five prelim level fighters on the main card and you're being asked to pay $60 for it. I can buy like 19 games on Steam for that much and not finish something myself instead of watching other people not finish.

But don't complain about the card until after it's over. Because fuck it, we already have your money then. And don't complain about it after it's over either, because we don't really give a damn.

MjFrancis

Welterweight Dong Hyun Kim vs. John Hathaway
Welterweight Sai Wang vs. Lipeng Zhang
Featherweight Jianping Yang vs. Guangyou Ning
Heavyweight Matt Mitrione vs. Shawn Jordan
Featherweight Hatsu Hioki vs. Ivan Menjivar

This UFC Fight Night is almost worth a Fight Pass, and that's what, ten bucks?

Meanwhile I'd pay five bucks to watch the Rousey fight this weekend. I plan on it, actually. Five bucks for the beer I'll sip while watching twenty minutes of hype and less than five minutes until Rousey gets that armbar.

You're my Lucky Starbucks

Better Latte than never

honestly, i'll sneak in WSOF and the Bellator HW tournament there somehow.

You gotta be kidding, the silver lining OT is gold son. Get it? UFC in a bad state of affairs, card sucks, main event is a squash match but yet... two silver medalists.

Let's try to raise the standard a bit, your last OP was terribad.

Edit:

Man down man down

this stuff grinds my gears. why drag when you can carry her on your shoulders? bad form.

Lambda needs to work on dat clinch.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WWE Network makes it unlikely that I'll ever pay full price for a UFC PPV again. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but Vincent K McMahon has changed the way I think about sports entertainment and how much money I'm willing to spend to watch a single event.

IMO, the UFC should have been using the Fox cards to try and end their reliance on PPV but instead they're happy to throw out glorified Fight Night cards with D level fighters. Fuck it, if you're not going to try to earn my money, I'm damn sure not going to volunteer it.

MjFrancis

Well I guess he won't have to worry about that 170 title
One of the other MMA-GAF veterans should make the craptacular OT that UFC 170 deserves.

MMA-GAF doesn't get carpet bombed like Pop-GAF or NBA-GAF. No, you venture off into enemy territory, guns blazing and running out of cover just to be picked off by a sniper mod who didn't even have to use iron sights to get you.

TheChits

RIP LP

You were the chosen one chits!

Well, let's look at it again. Eric Koch is fighting, so that is cool (why is he on the prelims). Assucao vs. Munhoz should be excellent as well as Davis vs. Eye. Pyle and Waldburger will put on a great show and I am holding out hope that Maia can sub Rory. Cormier is having his debut at 205 and Rousey is probably gonna demonstrate why she is champ. The card is okay, but I have a feeling the fights will be good. My excitement for the ufc has just been tempered lately by Dana being an even bigger ass than usual

Dysun

Rory Mac vs Maia is the most interesting fight on the card, and it has a high probability of being boring as shit.
Sad times

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rory Mac vs Maia is the most interesting fight on the card, and it has a high probability of being boring as shit.
Sad times

It's practically guaranteed to be boring. Either 15 minutes of Rory wearing Maia like a backpack or a jabfest. Considering Rory lost his last fight, I bet he's going to be safe as fuck.

Top Bottom