• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Rhino Marshall is more entertaining than most of the UFC roster. It goes back to our very first sports entertainment argument.

Razdek

Banned
When Erick Silva is practically gifted a win and knock out of the night bonus it goes to question the match making in the UFC. Why do they give these Brazilians fodder every time one of them is on a losing streak?

When Erick Silva is practically gifted a win and knock out of the night bonus it goes to question the match making in the UFC. Why do they give these Brazilians fodder every time one of them is on a losing streak?

Brazil has a tons of marks, gotta keep them happy.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I just realized there's only two UFC champs from Brazil and it looks like it will be this way for a while. No wonder they go the extra effort for squash matches there.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Team Positive we want you to know we don't enjoy your defeats, we simply accept the cold reality of this sport. It's still not bad enough to stop following entirely...yet.

That kind of makes me wonder what my breaking point is. The point where I just throw in the towel and say fuck this shit.

Razdek

Banned
Brazil has a tons of marks, gotta keep them happy.

The UFC should spin off a UFC Brazil league where all it has is Brazilian fighters fighting cans and running up win streaks. No Brazilian fighter loses and they keep those fans happy and waving their flags because it seems like that's what the Brazilian fans want.

iddqd

The UFC should spin off a UFC Brazil league where all it has is Brazilian fighters fighting cans and running up win streaks. No Brazilian fighter loses and they keep those fans happy and waving their flags because it seems like that's what the Brazilian fans want.

Yeah, it would be kinda smart to have a different brand name for these feeder things.
I understand that you need them but I just want to know upfront that I dont have to give a shit AND that they are made for the local audience.

Razdek

Banned
Yeah, it would be kinda smart to have a different brand name for these feeder things.
I understand that you need them but I just want to know upfront that I dont have to give a shit AND that they are made for the local audience.

I agree, just be upfront with what these events really are rather than try to push it as some competitive competition which it isn't. Ideally Machida and Souza should be fighting next go determine the number one contender but they won't because they're both Brazilians.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
all i see there is plastic.

the local model girl is an all natural beauty:

1911256_664081930297098_253577470_o.jpg

379182_493787703993189_639673124_n.jpg
lp hook a brother up

That kind of makes me wonder what my breaking point is. The point where I just throw in the towel and say fuck this shit.

I've been on team positive for like, forever and a day. If I can get my hands on it, I'll watch the whole card. From empty stadium facebook prelims right to the very end. I thought team negative was full of shit last year when there were so many awesome fights throughout the year. Now though...

Saturday's card is the first one ever where I just couldn't be bothered to watch any of the prelims. And when I hear that it was all decisions it looks like I was right. Which sucks. Cause I fucking love this sport. I'm a super hardcore fan and even I can't be bothered to watch all the fights anymore.
The last PPV and this card just kind of broke me. And then there's the Fightpass bullshit. And the tufs that are all but meaningless. This new generation of fighters can't cut a promo to save their life (I'll fight whoever Mr. Silva puts in front of me duuuuuuhhhh). It's just all so... bland I guess?

Fuck it, I'm rambling. I'll still watch the PPV next week (but how bad is it that Cummins got me more interested with his one promo than any of the other fights...). And I'll probably keep watching cause when it works, there's still nothing like it in the world.

Was positive for a long time, but the negativity runs deep these days. First MMA news in awhile to get me even remotely excited was the gas station heavyweight tournament Bellator just announced. Also looking forward to Pat Barry in Glory. Nothing really doing it for me in the UFC.

Next

I put the fault in the rules. How does a rule like "illegal 12-6 elbows" survive for so long? Why is there no fine tuning? Why can a fighter win a match by never pressing the action when there are no significant strikes in the whole match? It's stupid.

I put the fault in the rules. How does a rule like "illegal 12-6 elbows" survive for so long? Why is there no fine tuning? Why can a fighter win a match by never pressing the action when there are no significant strikes in the whole match? It's stupid.
Because shitty government bureaucracy is involved and the people responsible for ratifying changes to said rules don't really know much about or give any fucks about MMA.

The UFC doesn't have the luxury that the NFL, NBA, MLB AND NHL have. They can't just change their rules all willy nilly. As Dana always points out, MMA is regulated by the fucking government. Some old lady will freak out about vertical elbows because PEOPLE BREAK ICE WITH THEM IN THOSE KARATE MOVIES and that becomes the basis for banning them.

I've been on team positive for like, forever and a day. If I can get my hands on it, I'll watch the whole card. From empty stadium facebook prelims right to the very end. I thought team negative was full of shit last year when there were so many awesome fights throughout the year. Now though...

Saturday's card is the first one ever where I just couldn't be bothered to watch any of the prelims. And when I hear that it was all decisions it looks like I was right. Which sucks. Cause I fucking love this sport. I'm a super hardcore fan and even I can't be bothered to watch all the fights anymore.
The last PPV and this card just kind of broke me. And then there's the Fightpass bullshit. And the tufs that are all but meaningless. This new generation of fighters can't cut a promo to save their life (I'll fight whoever Mr. Silva puts in front of me duuuuuuhhhh). It's just all so... bland I guess?

Fuck it, I'm rambling. I'll still watch the PPV next week (but how bad is it that Cummins got me more interested with his one promo than any of the other fights...). And I'll probably keep watching cause when it works, there's still nothing like it in the world.
Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. Although I really do think I'm going to boycott next weekend's PPV. All the shit you just mentioned and then Dana is letting Gil tha Gawd sign with Bellator to top it all off.. UFC is on the decline for sure and Dana won't see it until it's too late.

Just saw last night's event. Can we a) stop having events in Brazil b) have a smaller ring for non-ppv cards? BTW did anyone notice a box fan on a card table pointed at the ring? Are you kidding me? That's Iowa Corn Fight level nonsense.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. Although I really do think I'm going to boycott next weekend's PPV. All the shit you just mentioned and then Dana is letting Gil tha Gawd sign with Bellator to top it all off.. UFC is on the decline for sure and Dana won't see it until it's too late.

Pauly heading toward #TeamNegative.

TigerUleadGIF-Shortest.gif

Serious question - why was this event free and next week's event costs $55?

Because the most popular mma star ever, Ronda Rousey, is headlining the card!
And there's still about 150 000-200 000 people that'll buy any PPV. This baseline has gone down a lot over the years but apparently it's still enough for uncle Dana to keep pumping them out.

I just hope that Viacom gives Bjorn a blank checkbook and he signs several other UFC fighters with standing. Other fighters see this and collectively up their game and a bidding war ensues. GSP signing with Bellator would expedite all of this but that's too much fantasy booking I think.

Serious question - why was this event free and next week's event costs $55?
Because Cormier vs Cummins and Rousey vs McMann are better squash matches than Erick Silva vs Takenori Sato :p

But seriously, Machida/Mousasi was a better fight that anything we're likely to see at UFC 170. That was a competitive, tactical matchup for the most part.

Rory MacDonald vs Demian Maia has huge suckage potential. Rory has finally been fully indoctrinated into the TriStar ways beginning with the Ellenberger fight. And we all know how explosive and entertaining Maia is.

Honestly the only fight on the whole fucking card that remotely interests me is Zach Makovsky vs Josh Sampo. Sampo and Fun Size both looked damn good in their debuts and are great additions to the fledgling 125 division.

I fell asleep several times during that card and the only way i found to make the main event tolerable, was to watch it at 1.5x speed. I love MMA, but god damn, cards liek this honestly depress me. I wasted like 90 minutes watching pure shit like Ogle v Oliviera. I couldve been playing Civ 5 instead ffs

I just hope that Viacom gives Bjorn a blank checkbook and he signs several other UFC fighters with standing. Other fighters see this and collectively up their game and a bidding war ensues. GSP signing with Bellator would expedite all of this but that's too much fantasy booking I think.

Yeah some big TV Mark McMoneybags throwing around fat stacks in guaranteed contracts ALWAYS works. Ask Ted Turner.

Unbelievable they take away Wand vs Sonnen off the same card as Weidman vs Belfort.... Set up a nice main event with a great story line for a co-main, definitely can be a nice ppv buy and then they set the wand vs sonnen fight for the week after on what's probably a fight night... Lol, I mean come on.

Unbelievable they take away Wand vs Sonnen off the same card as Weidman vs Belfort.... Set up a nice main event with a great story line for a co-main, definitely can be a nice ppv buy and then they set the wand vs sonnen fight for the week after on what's probably a fight night... Lol, I mean come on.
And yet neither the PPV nor the tickets have changed prices.

For a moment I was considering hitting Vegas for Memorial Day Weekend for that card, but after the Wand/Sonnen fight was pulled, no fucking way.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

As a public company, I'm sure their shareholders and investors would love that.

FACE

Banned
Because the most popular mma star ever, Ronda Rousey, is headlining the card!
And there's still about 150 000-200 000 people that'll buy any PPV. This baseline has gone down a lot over the years but apparently it's still enough for uncle Dana to keep pumping them out.

Why waste money on a dead sport?

Top Bottom