• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Brothers, the finest chick at my job by far and it's not even close, wants me.

tumblr_m5a7xtxtMC1qk5jr2o1_400.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
You seem to be misunderstanding what T:E levels are.

It's a ratio. It doesn't reliably indicate a person's absolute T level, it just indicates that there is T in the person's system that their body did not produce. If you were to test Hendo just for a T:E level he'd probably be somewhere around what Chael and Alistair were at when they got popped. If the natural Testosterone level of the person is very low and they take Testosterone to get up to a normal level that means that there will be much more T than E in the person's system because the E is only naturally produced.

tl;dr - a person with a normal absolute T level in their system who uses exogenous T to attain said normal level will always have a "jacked" T/E ratio. It's a ratio and not an absolute number.

I know what the Testosterone to Epitestosterone ratio is and the mechanics of it are,

My use of "jacked" was of the superlative variety. As to say: the media made a song and dance about it. Hendo's ratios are, by default, going to be out of whack due to TRT. But I cannot recall the media or anyone else bringing them into the limelight.

Heel

Please friends, let's not burden ourselves with the need for proof. Hendo used steroids just like Vitor. I'm not going to whine about dudes who geared up for my entertainment, and delivered it for over a decade. They're paying the price now. Time to go back to doing it the old fashioned way, below board, and go back to being celebrated.

MjFrancis

Dat $55 of remaining fights ..

Junior dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic
T.J. Dillashaw vs. Takeya Mizugaki
Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno
James Krause vs. Jamie Varner

Toss Belfort vs Franklin 2 on there. Gives names to the card that people know and keeps Belfort active while padding his win column and getting his system right.
Wait, Rich Franklin isn't retired? I'll be damned.

Still, Belfort v. Franklin 2 is a better draw than JDS v. Miocic. I appreciate the latter fight, but not enough to give Dana White more PPV money.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
For real doe, never assume a fight will take place until it's only 1-2 weeks out. This is pretty much how Team Negative was born in the first place.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't give a single iota about VR in gaming. The meltdowns in gaming side will provide my entertainment for the rest of the night though.

Heel

Wasn't young Cliffy B an early investor? Laughing at kideo plebs as he sniffs raw uncut coke off an Oculus devkit as we speak.

I hope UFC has to cancel 173 due to low ticket sales.

Seriously though, 2 shows on International Fight Weekend that are both weak? That's their flying too close to the sun moment right there.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/25/5...-same-day-weigh-ins-dangerous-health-problems

To curtail problems associated with weight cutting, ARP recommends instituting same-day weigh ins such as those adopted by the NCAA

There is a growing body of information in the medical literature that presents unequivocal evidence of the danger of excessive weight loss, rapid weight loss and repeated cycling of weight gain and loss. Rapid weight loss and dehydration have been proven to negatively affect a number of health-related parameters including: physical performance, cardiovascular function, temperature regulation, hormonal balance, nutritional status, neurologic function, mental performance, and energy utilization. These may cause life-threatening muscle breakdown, shock, heat illness, kidney failure, and electrolyte imbalances, in addition to placing the athlete at increased injury risk. Additionally, the possible relationship between dehydration and predisposition to concussion requires more investigation. Significant dehydration also puts the athlete at risk of improper rehydration techniques -- when, in reality, proper re-hydration requires hours to days.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Additionally, the possible relationship between dehydration and predisposition to concussion requires more investigation.
There is no way that same-day weigh-ins could make this worse. No fighter would ever attempt to cut significant amounts of water weight on the day of a fight knowing the danger it could pose for their long term mental health. They would all gladly diet down, sacrificing muscle mass and competitive advantages in order to match their frame to the arbitrary cut-off point for their weight class.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
finally, slowly, catching up on last weekend's fight night... what an odd card.

we have juicy winning via submission from a stunned opponent he illegally headbutted. next fight we we get a horribly early stoppage as a fighter on the ground is actively attacking with a upkick. then see someone get multiple points taken away from grabbing the fence (no warnings i saw). a fight or two latter then another fight with an instant point deduction for grabbing shorts.

such shitty reffing all around. for the record, i'm ok with point deductions for clearly breaking rules, but it needs to be consistent. i cant even remember the last time i saw a single point taken for these things, let alone 3 in 2 fights were neither seemed to be hugely problematic.

There is no way that same-day weigh-ins could make this worse. No fighter would ever attempt to cut significant amounts of water weight on the day of a fight knowing the danger it could pose for their long term mental health. They would all gladly diet down, sacrificing muscle mass and competitive advantages in order to match their frame to the arbitrary cut-off point for their weight class.

i hope it leads to more people fighting in their natural wigiht class (or close to it).

industrian

lol @ the Facebook/Oculus buyout

This is "It's popular now it sucks" combined with "Heath Ledger as the Joker?!" taken to ridiculous extremes.

Fans of Oculus Rift should be glad. This means that there'll actually be an end-result of this experiment, and a media/marketing infrastructure capable of making it a fully-realised mainstream consumer product.

However, it's brought out legions of these pretentious posters who always like to "remind" us of shit like "... besides, I don't use Facebook or Myspace... (and I'm cooler than you by default that's why I'm mentioning it)" for us all to laugh at.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/25/5...-same-day-weigh-ins-dangerous-health-problems

To curtail problems associated with weight cutting, ARP recommends instituting same-day weigh ins such as those adopted by the NCAA

The only way they'd agree to same-day weigh-ins for MMA is if they add 10lbs to each weight class.

I don't need any confirmation when she told me point blank. The only reason I've yet to capitalize is because it was busy at work. Magic only happens during dead nights.

Does Tinder actually work?

Yes works awesome. Met plenty of hot chicks on there. I posted a few of them in the Tinder thread. Got laid last Friday from it now meeting a 43 year old for this Friday. I have 5 chicks in the loop right now all 7/10 and above.

industrian

They're showing Shogun vs, Hendo 2 on TV here now.

The Maldonado/Villante fight was awesome. Maldonado is like Nick Diaz's retarded cousin or some shit. And I mean that as a compliment.

Dare I say that I want to see Hendo vs. Maldonado now.

I think they also recommended fighters weight be monitored through out the year. Which means that this is something the UFC would have to do. (And pay for) So I'm going to guess this ain't gonna happen.

finally, slowly, catching up on last weekend's fight night... what an odd card.

we have juicy winning via submission from a stunned opponent he illegally headbutted. next fight we we get a horribly early stoppage as a fighter on the ground is actively attacking with a upkick. then see someone get multiple points taken away from grabbing the fence (no warnings i saw). a fight or two latter then another fight with an instant point deduction for grabbing shorts.

such shitty reffing all around. for the record, i'm ok with point deductions for clearly breaking rules, but it needs to be consistent. i cant even remember the last time i saw a single point taken for these things, let alone 3 in 2 fights were neither seemed to be hugely problematic.

Agree with the consistency but I think Yamasaki did it the right way. Fuck fence grabbing etc. First infraction than bam point deducted! Only way they'll learn. Same with eye pokes. They'll give out a warning but the other guy will be at a disadvantage for the rest of the fight.

MjFrancis

Rafa, most people don't care enough about the Ultimate to worry about it's demise. It's the tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it.

Very few people put their kids through MMA classes, but wrestling is as strong as ever (base of the pyramid yo) and MMA classes weren't a thing twenty years ago anyways, so it's bigger than ever really.

Plus, most people still don't know what the UFC is or that it isn't synonymous with MMA if they do know what it is.

Agree with the consistency but I think Yamasaki did it the right way. Fuck fence grabbing etc. First infraction than bam point deducted! Only way they'll learn. Same with eye pokes. They'll give out a warning but the other guy will be at a disadvantage for the rest of the fight.

Remember when Bisping won a fight after poking Belcher in the eye since Belcher couldn't continue?

ESPN: Fertitta backs commissions, random tests

Compare the cost of random testing to the budget of athletic commissions, even in Nevada, and you realize how disingenuous this position is. MMA media, please grow a spine and call this man out for blatant serpentine tactics.

One of the main reasons the UFC still exists today is government sanctioning. Circumventing the authority of the commissions puts them in a far tougher spot than deferring to them. Lorenzo explained it pretty well.

You can plug your ears and say LALALALALA THIS IS BULLSHIT LALALALALALA but at the end of the day you can either have athletic commissions governing this sport completely, or not.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just watched shogun hendo 2. these two are just epic brawlers. another absolutely classic slug fest. give me more.

Top Bottom