• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Heel

UFC Fight Night 50 - $479k gate, 4,086 in attendance, main card 0.54 rating
Bellator 123 - $302k gate, 7,109 in attendance, main card 0.43 rating

The same night, both in Connecticut, aired back to back on television. I don't think the ratings are final, some discrepancies regarding Bellator's gate.

Awful ratings for MMA as a whole, especially for a perceived "great" Fight Night card. That said, a whole lot closer than I would've thought. Very curious to see how this pans out when Bellator switches to building up monthly cards.

EDIT:
Carleton Curtis ‏@carletoncurtis
Friday ratings smackdown: WWE = 2.7M viewers, UFC = 911K, Bellator = 667K

Chamber

love on your sleeve
"The strength is coming, because I went back to training. What is even harder is the self-confidence to kick back the way I did before. I'm tracking a psychologist to take off the 'ghosts' of those horrible moments I spent in the accident. When I train I'm still apprehensive", said the fighter.

"I know I can perform the move (kick), but I end up not doing because of fear. I know it will not hurt anymore. But it is natural to feel scared", Anderson amended, which was also estimated to be "91% of ideal physical conditions."

-Courtesy of The Chris Weidman

agrajag

Banned
Big Ben said he got pissed by the cheap oblique knee kicks. I agree with him. I'm still a Reem fan, but when I saw him doing those stupid Jackson/Winklejon oblique kicks I shook my head. He had this coming. If you're not gonna swarm and put away a lumbering beast like Rothwell, you're just going to piss him off and make him angry with those cheap little techniques.

N° 2048

Big Ben said he got pissed by the cheap oblique knee kicks. I agree with him. I'm still a Reem fan, but when I saw him doing those stupid Jackson/Winklejon oblique kicks I shook my head. He had this coming. If you're not gonna swarm and put away a lumbering beast like Rothwell, you're just going to piss him off and make him angry with those cheap little techniques.

I thought he would follow those up but man, it's like all he had.

agrajag

Banned
I thought he would follow those up but man, it's like all he had.

Well, he broke his arm too and landed some hard fucking body shots. But it seems like Overeem's kryptonite is tough guys who aren't phased by body shots (see Bigfoot Silva). When he can't hurt them, he doesn't know what to do.

agrajag

Banned
Overeem's kryptonite is not beeing very good.

His fight IQ was non-existent in the fight too. He got dropped with a hard shot, but was nowhere near out. Instead of pulling guard, he gives up his back and lets a 260 lbs. man repeatedly punch him in the head. What?

Next

He's always like that though. It's like he freezes after the first punch. Against bigfoot he took a beating before going down, but after the first punch didn't bother defending.

agrajag

Banned
He's always like that though. It's like he freezes after the first punch. Against bigfoot he took a beating before going down, but after the first punch didn't bother defending.

True... I think he's done. He should retire and pursue a career that doesn't involve getting punched in the head.

VASPER

Banned
True... I think he's done. He should retire and pursue a career that doesn't involve getting punched in the head.

He needs to just go do Japanese TV commercial or something because he cant fight guys today. I need to watch the fight with him and Werdum and get a look at why Werdum didn't win.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Vio-bod,

How you liking this NFL drama? Goodell is going to ousted.

Hypocrisy at its finest. The NFL and the Ravens saw the video and/or at the very least knew the details of what happened inside the elevator. What does everyone else think happened? She just passed out inside and knocked herself out? Of course he hit her. Who these fools crappin?

Then the NFL and the Ravens held press conferences with the victim and had her admit her blame in the situation. Victim blaming 101. It was a total farce 2 or 3 weeks ago, but the media didn't say shit. Peter King, ESPN, and network media are all in bed with the NFL, so they went along for the ride.

TMZ leaks the video today and everyone is out with pitchforks. What did these idiots think happened? This is the NFL and the Ravens trying to avoid a PR disaster after the fact. The internet white knights are having a field day though. Naive mother fuckers that they are.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My favorite part of the video was where he dragged her half out of the elevator and just left her laid out so the doors would slam into her legs. His concern was touching

Next

He needs to just go do Japanese TV commercial or something because he cant fight guys today. I need to watch the fight with him and Werdum and get a look at why Werdum didn't win.

Werdum decided his best strategy was flopping to his back and beg Overeem to come to him. He was outstriking him but lost the decision because of that most likely.

edit:
xxt7evY.jpg

gotta love Lauzon lol

dream

UFC Fight Night 50 - $479k gate, 4,086 in attendance, main card 0.54 rating
Bellator 123 - $302k gate, 7,109 in attendance, main card 0.43 rating

The same night, both in Connecticut, aired back to back on television. I don't think the ratings are final, some discrepancies regarding Bellator's gate.

Awful ratings for MMA as a whole, especially for a perceived "great" Fight Night card. That said, a whole lot closer than I would've thought. Very curious to see how this pans out when Bellator switches to building up monthly cards.

EDIT:
Carleton Curtis ‏@carletoncurtis
Friday ratings smackdown: WWE = 2.7M viewers, UFC = 911K, Bellator = 667K

This is interesting to me because it suggests that the ultimate has so diluted the sport that even "great cards" don't matter anymore.

Dysun

This is interesting to me because it suggests that the ultimate has so diluted the sport that even "great cards" don't matter anymore.

When people tune out and events become skippable, they all end up getting hit
Literally all my friends who used to watch have no interest unless its a mega huge fight anymore

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It was the first fight card in months that I can remember looking forward to. And I still forgot about it until just before the co-main because it was on a Friday. UFC has made UFC irrelevant.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I played a bit with poly and chamber last night.

Promised some friends that we'd play through the campaign together, but down for some deathmatches. Do those give you experience? Might need to make another character.

Too much dancing?

I do believe you get xp for anything almost.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Joe Rogan pulling the race card on why everybody hates JBJ.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/9...acism-chael-sonnen-dana-white-tuf-20-mma-news
"I don't know why Jon is not more loved or popular than he is," Rogan said on his podcast. "I don't understand it. In my opinion, I will never miss a Jon Jones f***ing pay-per-view. I've heard people say, 'Oh, he's cocky. He's this and [that].' I wonder what the f**k is going on with that and I'm going to throw this out there, I'm just going to say it: I wonder how much of it is racism. I really do.
Rogan has never missed a JBJ PPV. Imagine that.

"You know why? Because I think they look at him as this cocky black guy and I think a lot of people have an issue with that. I think that if he was a white guy and he was doing the same thing, a la a Chael Sonnen, I think he would be way more popular. Chael was never the successful athlete that Jon is, but I think Chael was way more successful as a promoter than Jon is. Jon has not been nearly as cocky or outwardly braggadocious as Chael was."

Could it be Chael is a better promoter bc he has charisma? Nah, it's bc he's white.

agrajag

Banned
there are black fighters that are popular, Jon Jones just rubs people the wrong way. I bet more people are going to support Cormier when they finally fight.

Top Bottom