• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

strobogo

Banned
Player fines in the NFL are nowhere near 500k. Try 10-20k.

Jim Irsay just got fined $500K for a DUI. A coach got a $500K fine not long ago. The Saints franchise got a $500K fine. A player last year got a $100K fine. Ray Lewis was fined $250K.

The Spurs got fined $250K for Unjustifiably Resting Players, which is amazing. The NBA has multiple fines for players in the $250K range, and at least one player getting a $500K fine for getting hurt snow boarding.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Jim Irsay just got fined $500K for a DUI. A coach got a $500K fine not long ago. The Saints franchise got a $500K fine. A player last year got a $100K fine.
Billionare owner and franchise fines, look at the typical fine they dole out week to week.

Either way you're not wrong. Better case would have been player pay. Stick and ball sports players at the bottom of the roster make more money annually than the top cage fighters.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I understand the fine, but community service? Who the fuck is you? You ain't the cops. Is the NSAC going to pay for Bones' plane ticket, hotel and food while he walks around the park and picks up litter with those little grabby things with the handle and the claw on the other end?

Vio-Lence

Banned
This sport is so dead. Can we drop the pretension and rename the next OT an offtopic free for all, or a catch all for sports entertainment.

The rise and fall of the ufc will make for good reading in a few years.

strobogo

Banned
I understand the fine, but community service? Who the fuck is you? You ain't the cops. Is the NSAC going to pay for Bones' plane ticket, hotel and food while he walks around the park and picks up litter with those little grabby things with the handle and the claw on the other end?

Maybe he'll teach a class like Kanye

"How to be a giant cunt 101"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
These fines

The community service

NSAC stabbing the open casket

tumblr_mbchuf80YL1r45gwao1_500.gif

VoxPop

So who are your picks for this weekends lovely card?

Johnson vs Cariaso - more lopsided than GSP/Serra imo. I see MM submitting him in the first or second round.

Cerrone vs Alvarez (Decision) - don't really know who to root for as I love both fighters but I see Eddie making a statement in his debut on his road to a title shot

McGregor vs Porier - As much as I like Porier, I think he's going to get drawn into a pure standup battle and end up getting finished. Should be great.

Cruz vs Mizugaki - If Cruz is anywhere near his original form, it should be an easy decision win for him.

Kennedy vs Romero - Not sure why everyone is so high on Romero as he struggled to beat Derek Brunson. I see Kennedy grinding him and gassing him out for a decision win or possibly even an ugly TKO win

Krause vs Masvidal - Masvidal has the better all around game but Krause has been on a nice little run despite his last win being over a one legged Varner. A toss up for me.

Cat vs Nunes - Never seen Nunes fight but if Cat is 100% healthy, I can't really see anyone beating her.

on side note, Nate Diaz is back and will face Rafael Dos Anjos in the co main at UFC on FOX 13

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hunt vs. Arlovski makes more sense to me. And considering the landscape of the division, hell, it makes a pretty good No. 1 contender fight.

I hope that Cain's ring rust and surgery will assist Werdum in attaining victory. In this second dark age, it helps to have champions who actually compete.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Other than the kids' fight, this is actually a good card from (semi) top to bottom. Wow, I forgot what a UFC ppv card from 2010 looks like.

DKehoe

Thought I'd post this, it's from the July 28th 1997 back issue of the Wrestling Observer which just got put up on their site. This section is about the announcement of the Rickson/Takada match which was the first Pride event

The on-again, off-again shoot match between Rickson Gracie and Nobuhiko Takada is back on-again for 10/11 at the Tokyo Dome, but not without a lot of questions still to be answered and a lot of skepticism whether this version of the show will take place.

The event, first proposed for June, then pushed back to August, then canceled due to Nippon Television pulling out of the deal which took away between $250,000 and $500,000 from the shows budget and left them without major television coverage or promotion of the event. Nippon TV was apparently concerned that a true shoot match could easily wind up lasting only one minute, or turn into a long defensive struggle which would make for boring television, so the risk of viewer dissatisfaction was relatively high. However, according to press reports late last week, Tokyo's Ch. 12 this past week agreed to broadcast the show live and pay the rights fees and the match was announced after Takada signed the contract on 7/17. Gracie arrived in Japan on 7/19 for a 7/22 Tokyo press conference to formally announce the match. However, at that press conference it was instead announced that PerfecTV, a home satellite outfit in its infancy in Japan similar to DirecTV in the United States, would be broadcasting the match. What was also strange at the press conference is that the promotional company, a new group called Kakutougi Revolution Spirits (KRS for short) didn't announce when tickets would go on sale or ticket prices, which is usually what these press conferences are held for to either kick off ticket sales or to announce a date they go on sale. The company didn't even announce where it would be setting up its office and its phone number or fax number or any contact people for further information. Later, when reporters called the Tokyo Dome, they were told that the building wasn't even booked for 10/11. The company that was originally planning this promotion, H20 promotions out of Nagoya, which had also never promoted anything at this level, had dropped out of the show due to an inability to finance such an undertaking.

It was announced at the press conference that Gracie would be receiving $935,000 for the match, a figure which is likely more than any NHB fighter has ever earned in the ring during their entire lifetime let alone for one match, while Takada would be receiving $187,000. The money figure for Takada was roughly the same as he received from New Japan for his three Tokyo Dome record setting houses against Keiji Muto twice and Shinya Hashimoto once in 1985-86.

In the original deal, Gracie was promised a $600,000 guarantee and a percentage of the house which, with a sellout, could earn him in the $900,000 range in total which is believed to be the second largest payoff ever for an event of this type.

Muhammad Ali was offered $6 million for a 1976 mixed match with Antonio Inoki, but actually received closer to $1.8 million when all was said and done. The highest payoff we are aware of for a single pro wrestling event besides for Ali would be the $750,000 that Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant received for their 1987 WrestleMania match and a figure believed to be about $750,000 that Dennis Rodman received for Bash at the Beach on 7/13. What are believed to be the largest purses within the NHB genre are the $150,000 first prizes won by Dan Severn and Don Frye respectively in winning the Ultimate Ultimate tournaments.

The match will be fought with a maximum of 12 five minute rounds within in a boxing ring as opposed to an octagon, with a two minute rest period between rounds. If the match goes the time limit, the match will be declared a draw rather than having a judges decision. If both fighters agree to it after the 12 rounds are over, the match can continue indefinitely under sudden death rules. The match can end with a tap out or by stoppage by the referee or the doctor or with the corner throwing in the towel. There will be no rope escapes or breaks if caught in a submission hold and grabbing the ropes is illegal. There will be no kicking with shoes (so Takada would likely fight bare-footed). Both are mandated by the rules to wearing light "grappling" gloves. They have the option to wear elbow or knee pads and elbows are legal except to the spine. There will be no kicking of an opponent who is down. Head-butting is illegal. And there are no attacks to the groin, spine, hair or eyes allowed. The ring will have four ropes like boxing instead of three like pro wrestling.

There will be six other matches on the show, with no hints as to whether they will be worked or shoot matches. The only names announced thus far appearing on the show are Koji Kitao and Yoji Anjoh, two name Japanese pro wrestlers who have done shooting matches in the past although Kitao is 0-2 and Anjoh is 0-1 in Vale Tudo competition. Rumor has it that Kitao's foe would be Ricardo Morais, and that Brazilians Roberto Traven (who was a tournament in Russia recently) and Fabio Gurgel would be on the show which gives credence to the idea it would be an all shoot show. In the past Gracie had insisted on not only not doing a worked match, but not even agreeing to a time frame such as agreeing to carry his opponent for one round before going for a victory in the second round, plus had insisted he wouldn't appear on a show where any matches were worked because he didn't want anyone questioning the credibility of his match. His younger brother Royce turned down a reported $1 million deal for New Japan Pro Wrestling to do a job for Antonio Inoki in a match that would have taken place in October of 1996 at the Tokyo Dome and it resulted in the entire show having to be scrapped. Originally the belief was Gracie vs. Takada would be able to sellout the Tokyo Dome as the most hyped shoot (as opposed to work shoot) match in the history of Japanese pro wrestling, but fan anticipation has likely been soured by the previous postponement and cancellation plus the fact that the interest level in pure shooting has decreased in Japan and well as the United States. However, one would think from a financial standpoint this would be the biggest money NHB match in history which again shows the value of fake hype over reality production.

Gracie, reputed in many circles to be the greatest fighter in the world, has not had that reputation truly tested in many years. Now 38, the 185-pound son of fighting legend Helio Gracie and older brother of Royce Gracie, won two Vale Tudo tournaments in Japan but neither of those tournaments contained any big-name fighters other than Gerard Gordeau in the second tournament, who actually lost in the first round and even though he was a stand-up fighting legend, had very limited ground skill. With major NHB shows taking place in the U.S., Japan, Brazil, Europe, Russia and Australia, he chose to sit them out and never answered challenges issued by various winners of major tournaments such as Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock or Mark Coleman, and instead waited for someone to meet a nearly seven figure price tag. It was apparently a wise business strategy because his time came. Gracie is reputed to be undefeated in 400 matches and although that figure is clearly an exaggeration, he has never been beaten and in his day in Brazil was considered as the best fighter in the world and did tap out Olympic gold medal winning wrestler Mark Schultz twice. At the same time, in his last competitive situation more than two years ago in a Japanese tournament at Budokan Hall, he had a first round match against Japanese pro wrestler Yoshihisa Yamamoto, and he looked very much human as opposed to mythical in taking about 21:00 to beat Yamamoto, who has had a few shoot matches since that time in RINGS that he has lost in a much faster and more one-sided contests to fighters like Ricardo Morais with far lesser reputations and skill level.

Takada is one of the greatest pure athletes and workers of this generation in pro wrestling and had the reputation of being a strong shooter in the dojo, and has excellent demonstration kick boxing skills as opposed to battle tested kick boxing skills. But the fact is he's still a pro wrestler who has never had a legitimate contest against a top-level fighter in his life, not to mention that he's 35 years old and past his athletic prime. It has to be considered an incredible longshot that he'd be able to survive for any length of time against someone with so much experience in this form of fighting, even given the fact he'll have a 25-30 pound size advantage, is well trained in both standing and ground fighting, and is a few years younger.

Coming on the heels of this is the announcement by K-1 promoter Kazuyoshi Ishii that he would be attempting to sign Royce Gracie to his first competitive match since 1995 on his 11/9 show at the same Tokyo Dome. Gracie, who won three of the first four UFC tournaments before bowing out after being hammered by Ken Shamrock in a 36:00 draw in the first UFC superfight, has never fought previously in Japan.

ron_bato

Just tell me something about the ladies TUF...man...

IS it any good?

If you only care about the fights, then yes it's pretty good. The first fight between Randa Markos and Tecia Torres was really entertaining. The second fight between JoJo Calderwood and Emily Kagan was good, until the last half of the second round where they were stuck in an awkward position leading to inactivity (JoJo had Kagan in a reverse triangle, JoJo ended up on the bottom and nothing happened after).

The fight this week is between Lisa Ellis and Jessica Penne, they had a great fight in Invicta before, even though Ellis was bloodied up pretty bad in the third, it was a good back and forth fight (the grappling exchanges in particular were fun to watch). So hopefully their fight this week is close to that.

iddqd

I don't know how to feel about Metamoris..
On the one hand I'm happy that something like it exists and that some old guys can make some money without getting their heads smashed in...
On the other hand its organized by Ralek Gracie and his brood of morons.

Confusing times!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't know how to feel about Metamoris..
On the one hand I'm happy that something like it exists and that some old guys can make some money without getting their heads smashed in...
On the other hand its organized by Ralek Gracie and his brood of morons.

Confusing times!

THe Ultimate is organized by Dana White and his brood of morons. Take the good with the bad.

FUME5

Hunt asked Dana for a fight with Barnett via Twitter, Barnett seems to be down.

Anyway, looking forward to the card this weekend, provided everyone makes weight of course.

The second fight between JoJo Calderwood and Emily Kagan was good, until the last half of the second round where they were stuck in an awkward position leading to inactivity (JoJo had Kagan in a reverse triangle, JoJo ended up on the bottom and nothing happened after).
I watched that part a few times.

JoJo is best when striking though. Would love to see her win this. Love watching her light people up.

industrian

Bendo is going to welterweight?

One fight with Rory Mac will end that train before it leaves the station.

ron_bato

Bendo is going to welterweight?

One fight with Rory Mac will end that train before it leaves the station.

Yeah I'm a Bendo fan but I don't think he's built for the division. He's got no power (at least at lightweight), and he's going to have trouble against rangier strikers in the division. Plus you got those explosive trucks like Lombard and Woodley that Bendo would have no answer for.

But who knows, if he manages to put on the right amount of muscle and convert that to power, then it could work (doubtful but one can dream). I will continue to support him but I'm not sure if it's necessarily the right move for him.

He also probably knows that the division is now moving on from him, and his road to the title at lightweight is going to be a lot tougher. The way I see it, it's probably Alvarez next if he wins, then Khabib once he recovers, then maybe RDA if he can keep winning.

I watched that part a few times.

JoJo is best when striking though. Would love to see her win this. Love watching her light people up.

Yup, her striking is really fun to watch. Her clinch work is devastating too. I am also rooting for her to win the entire thing. If Rose wins her fight against Alex Chambers, that Rose-JoJo fight could be really fun.

industrian

what's Minakov doing? he should get his ass to the UFC.

I wonder if the Coker Regime will still give Volkov his rematch. Surely Minakov vs. Volkov 2 will headline a card before the end of the year.

And I agree. Minakov, Volkov and Ivanov would be the fresh blood the UFC's heavyweight division desperately needs. Hopefully Coker and Dana can cut a deal.

Top Bottom