• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Dysun

Good card, went home before the small men's main event. First card I enjoyed top (well almost) to bottom in a long time

agrajag

Banned
It was, but this happens in a lot of fights, namely the Couture/Lesnar and GSP/Serra fights ended in TKO's caused by punches they were trying to duck under. It's impossible for the fighter throwing the punch to anticipate that so it's never enforced. The 2nd punch Conor landed was to the back of the head but the next two were clean. Up to the ref's discretion but they'll never call DQ on that

No, I meant that he was dropped by a phantom punch, I didn't see it hit his head.

YyMpz.gif

Fuck Tim Kennedy. He has no right to complain, only reason he rocked Yoel was because he was holding his glove. Dirty tactics. He got what he deserved.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Was there no 178 thread? An actual good event and no thread? :(
These things happen in MMA-GAF

That sucked and I now understand why nobody was looking forward to it. God damn.
Welcome to nearly every Mighty Mouse fight. You'll get some wolf ticket sellers who will claim MM is not boring because of like, 2 good fights in his entire career but those are serpentine lies. We tried to warn you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
sbmE89R.gif

rATgPiz.gif

Sucks for Eddie, he hit Cerrone in the pocket in the 1st like 16 times and Cowboy's face didn't look any different for it. Dom Cruz also went for bloody murder which was great.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It's been a while since I've woken up still hammered and with no recollection of the night before. Everything went well according to what I've pieced together
win.png

Just watched 178. Good card from top to bottom. Kind of a let down having the Mighty Mouse fight after Cerrone/Alvarez but whatever, at least it ended relatively quickly.

I'd love to see Alvarez drop to 145. So many intriguing match ups for him down there. He seems a bit small for 155.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That's a scary road to go down. Going to need you for the raid this week.

Sure, just waiting for the reset tomorrow. Got the Bad Juju and Pocket Infinity bounties
6tpv2ct.png

Friends, we should also knock out the Nightfall and Weekly Heroic. Guys have already discovered the cheese spot for the boss fight, just a matter of making it there.

Just watched 178. Good card from top to bottom. Kind of a let down having the Mighty Mouse fight after Cerrone/Alvarez but whatever, at least it ended relatively quickly.

I'd love to see Alvarez drop to 145. So many intriguing match ups for him down there. He seems a bit small for 155.

Frankie will send him back to Coker

av2k

Hey guys, I'm really interested in MMA but I don't know how even get started in watching. I was following Anderson Silva up until his leg snapped but I don't know who else I should be keeping an eye on for exciting fights. Anyone have any tips on who to look out for for a MMA newbie like myself?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
There's 2 cards on Oct. 4th? What the frick friends.
Hey guys, I'm really interested in MMA but I don't know how even get started in watching. I was following Anderson Silva up until his leg snapped but I don't know who else I should be keeping an eye on for exciting fights. Anyone have any tips on who to look out for for a MMA newbie like myself?
Best you can do is either begrudgingly sit through every event of which mileage will vary.

Or see which fighters people in the thread are excited for when a card is announced or discussed.

VoxPop

There's 2 cards on Oct. 4th? What the frick friends.

Best you can do is either begrudgingly sit through every event of which mileage will vary.

Or see which fighters people in the thread are excited for when a card is announced or discussed.

Both events are absolutely terrible as well. Assuncao vs Caraway is a prelim main event at best and Rory vs Saffediene is just pointless. The Gunnar card originally had Korean Zombie vs Corassani but was scrapped and got replaced by Holloway which isn't too bad. Gotta wait 3 weeks after that for Aldo/Mendes with a lame undercard.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Both events are absolutely terrible as well. Assuncao vs Caraway is a prelim main event at best and Rory vs Saffediene is just pointless. The Gunnar card originally had Korean Zombie vs Corassani but was scrapped and got replaced by Holloway which isn't too bad. Gotta wait 3 weeks after that for Aldo/Mendes with a lame undercard.
From one good card back to a bunch of mediocres. They really need to cut the dead weight.

Gunnar Nelson is fighting this week. Watch that fight. Also, the world just fell in love with Conor McGregor. Watch him fight. Stay away from anyone that fights in that dirty camp of Greg Jackson's. Their all whining assholes.

MjFrancis

Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone v. anyone is an exciting fight. Look out for those ones.

Gunnar Nelson is fighting this week. Watch that fight. Also, the world just fell in love with Conor McGregor. Watch him fight. Stay away from anyone that fights in that dirty camp of Greg Jackson's. Their all whining assholes.
Conor McGregor I'll second. I'll also point out that Cerrone has been in Jackson's camp for a while now, yet maintains the will of the warrior. Certainly an exception to the rule.

av2k

Awesome awesome, thanks guys, I'll definitely catch those two. I'd like to get into this big time, is UFC.TV worth it? Or are there better (legal) alternatives out there?

edit: Erm.. nevermind, I thought the live fights were part of the package. Bummer.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Awesome awesome, thanks guys, I'll definitely catch those two. I'd like to get into this big time, is UFC.TV worth it? Or are there better (legal) alternatives out there?

edit: Erm.. nevermind, I thought the live fights were part of the package. Bummer.

If you can order Fight Pass where you are, then you get everything except the PPVs.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I used to watch the UFC Unleashed shows on Spike. They just show a bunch of old fights without any bullshit. I don't know if they still do that since they moved to Fox.

Exciting fighters? My personal favorites are Dennis Bermudez, Cub Swanson, Donald Cerrone, Dennis Siver, Chris Weidman, Al Iaquinta, Joe Lauzon, and Jon Jones. Some other good ones are ...

Vitor Belfort
Machida (sometimes)
Nick Diaz
Yoel Romero
Johny Hendricks
Robbie Lawler
Tarec Saffiedine
Nate Diaz
Jamie Varner
Anthony Njokuani
Anthony Pettis
Edson Barboza
Jeremy Stephens
Dominick Cruz
TJ Dillashaw

Events ranked in importance:
PPV
Anything on Fox prime
FS1 cards
FS1 Ultimate Fighter finale cards
|
|
|
|
V
Anything on fight pass

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
178 $
Main Card (Pay-per-view)
Demetrious Johnson ($129,000 + $54,000 = $183,000) def. Chris Cariaso ($24,000)
Donald Cerrone ($63,000 + $63,000 = $126,000) def. Eddie Alvarez ($100,000)
Conor McGregor ($75,000 + $75,000 = $150,000) def. Dustin Poirier ($34,000)
Yoel Romero ($29,000 + $29,000 = $58,000) def Tim Kennedy ($70,000)
Cat Zingano ($9,000 + $9,000 = $18,000) def. Amanda Nunes ($15,000)

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1)
Dominick Cruz ($50,000 + $50,000 = $100,000) def. Takeya Mizugaki ($32,000)
Jorge Masvidal ($45,000 + $45,000 = $90,000) def. James Krause ($15,000)
Stephen Thompson ($16,000 + $16,000 = $32,000) def. Patrick Cote ($33,000)
Brian Ebersole ($21,000 + $21,000 = $42,000) def. John Howard ($21,000)

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Kevin Lee ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Jon Tuck ($10,000)
Manvel Gamburyan ($25,000 + $25,000 = $50,000) def. Cody Gibson ($10,000)

Cat making 9+9
hwgOjCf.jpg

Top Bottom