• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

VoxPop

2 of my favorite fighters are fighting tomorrow/tonight but I haven't been excited at all to the lead up. I wonder why there was zero promotion coming into it. Didn't even catch the weigh in till like 20 min ago. Bones/Cormier really wore me out. As much as I love Diaz, I hope Anderson gives him the Forrest Griffin treatment. Need a strong showing so we can watch him get his redemption against Wildman.

Lmao Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson injured and out of fight with Brandon Thatch. Good luck making a terrible main event even worse.

scabro

I also think they need to mend their training camps. They don't have tobe that long. Hopefully Reebok steps in....

they do when these guys like Rumble or Hendricks let themselves gain like 40 pounds between fights.

and same day weight ins won't change shit, except lead to more guys getting knocked into the afterlife in the octagon due to concussions with dehydration. because if you dont think fighters will still cut weight, you crazy.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I still can't believe that Tyron Woodley, a Strikeforce can and blanket, is somehow a top 5 contender in the UFC. Almost as unbelievable as Robbie Lawler getting the strap. Shit, that might be a title fight later this year...

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
they do when these guys like Rumble or Hendricks let themselves gain like 40 pounds between fights.

and same day weight ins won't change shit, except lead to more guys getting knocked into the afterlife in the octagon due to concussions with dehydration. because if you dont think fighters will still cut weight, you crazy.
This, plus it would cause havok with weight classes and probably lead to worse fights overall; smaller, weaker fighters with less stamina, resilience and concentration (actually it could lead to a lot of quick finishes which might be exciting...). The same goes for ideas like weighing people in camp and only allowing them to weigh in a certain threshold above or below that number. It's up to each fighter and their team to work out how much weight they should cut and how/when to do it. The only "fixes" I can see working are harsher penalties for missing weight and more importantly, just having an all round higher standard of competition and competitor. So basically I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

Next

With all these champions of today always injured you gotta think most champions/legends of the past fought many fights with injuries.

Fighting multiple times on the same day too, It's insane.

I'll toss this in I might be brutally wrong but I feel like this is a fight for DIAZ to win, i think he will beat Silva BUT there is something off about him he seems nervous and i don't know how he fights when he has so much respect for someone - i guess we shall see.

I also think he's fucked either way - if he beats Silva it's going to be "Oh silva is old and nothing like he was before", and if he loses "Oh Diaz is just a nobody who never could compete with silva" it's kind of a lose/lose situation for him lol

The only way I see him winning is if Silva decides to clown near the cage like he did with Bonnar and even then I'm not too sure. It would be fucking awesome though, I hope he does win and cuts ahead of Rory to fight for the title.

I also think they need to mend their training camps. They don't have tobe that long. Hopefully Reebok steps in....

I also get the feeling they should revise their training, seems to be a lot of bullshit going on.

when I see this and this, khabib healing his knees with meat or whatever, werdum talking about kengan water, it's no wonder these guys are always injured.

I still can't believe that Tyron Woodley, a Strikeforce can and blanket, is somehow a top 5 contender in the UFC. Almost as unbelievable as Robbie Lawler getting the strap. Shit, that might be a title fight later this year...

Robbie is a totally different fighter. Dude re-invented himself.

MjFrancis

As much as I love Diaz, I hope Anderson gives him the Forrest Griffin treatment.
This is the only reason to watch this fight. I'm done with champions sparring for five rounds, I want to watch a good fighter clown on a scrub for 5-10 minutes before he knocks him the fuck out.

iddqd

This is not genius level reasoning, but I wonder when the UFC first knew about the Weidman rib.

Because in terms of announcing it, friday night seems to be the night they always announce these things and the night it makes the most sense.

You dont want to announce it early in the week to overshadow the PPV built up.
You cant do it AFTER the PPV because you want to sell the new Promos (with Ronda as Headliner) during the PPV.
You announce it friday before the weigh ins because those weigh in pictures will then dominate all the news/twitter.

Must have been weird for Longo to hang out with Iaquinta in all that Vegas commotion without spilling the Weidman beans.

EDIT
Vitor shenanigans mean that they must have known for a while I guess
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/3...-down-lyoto-machida-fight-at-ufc-184-mma-news

Rur0ni

Vitor craps on Machida for not taking a 3 week fight notice with an undefeated champion (Jones) who beat him already, but won't fight Machida? Either you the top dog, or you ain't.

Banglish

Lucky Rufus Sports doesn't release theirs!!

I wonder what Robbie Lawler or Cowboy are doing different to be able to fight as often.

I dunoo what Lawler and Cowboy are doing differenty but probably not ridiculously high reps of isolation exercises meant pretty much soley for bodybuilding. Trainer looks like a poor man's Longo.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I think Lawler has said something like "I know how to fight, I don't need to spend my training camp sparring all the time and getting beaten up."

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Lol wtf. Bendo moving to 170lbs and 'saving' the Fight Night next week.

Fighting Brandon Thatch. Should be fun.

GT8clSC.png

zCClL.jpg

Diaz only had the dough on his mind last night and Anthony Silver danced around him perfectly. Looked good actually although a boring fight.

VoxPop

How are they even considering Munoz for a title shot. Dude is coming off getting finished in back to back fights. Jacare or Rockhold 2 seems like the fight to make.

How are they even considering Munoz for a title shot. Dude is coming off getting finished in back to back fights. Jacare or Rockhold 2 seems like the fight to make.

That list isn't actually who they were considering. He's just listing off guys with what he views is a similar style to Weidman as better replacement choices. His point being they trained for a Wrestler and Lyoto is the furthest thing from that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

How are they considering Belfort for one? He hasn't won a fight since he started running away and being kicked off cards for failing tests.

Look who's got employable skills.

eIxCtfj.jpg

The new mythbusters got him running a real life Doom level. He's loaded down with all the guns and ammo you would carry in the game.

Also Adam plays real life fruit ninja.

scabro

Look who's got employable skills.

eIxCtfj.jpg

The new mythbusters got him running a real life Doom level. He's loaded down with all the guns and ammo you would carry in the game.

Also Adam plays real life fruit ninja.

joe was right

save your cotton candy brain, shaub

Guru-Guru

Banned
Who do you guys think should be next for Silva? I'd prefer them to feed him some cans for the rest of his fights. Guys like Bisping, Munoz, and Kennedy. No point seeing him get killed by Weidman again.

dream

I would S a D to watch Anderson send Tim Kennedy out of the cage on a stretcher, with an oxygen mask strapped to his face, where he is rushed to the hospital to be put into a medically-induced coma because of the swelling on his brain, with Dana telling us that it's touch and go, but his family is by his bedside, and all we can do right now is pray.

Top Bottom