• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

DeadJointBlowfish.gif

I wish I had this sort of flexibility. I upa like there is no tomorrow, and I still can't get it.:( Is it flexible hips?

MjFrancis

Here's an idea for a thread: "Could Ronda Rousey beat Bruce Lee?"
I am so tempted to make this.

Incidentally I had a friend tell me not too long ago that Bruce Lee could have beaten Mike Tyson in a fight. Despite the avatar I'm more impressed with the myth than the man - the man was an action movie actor. The myth is a Street Fighter character. I told my friend that was the stupidest thing I'd heard come out of his mouth. I was being polite, too.

If Ronda Rousey could rehash some Taoist and Zen philosophy she could be afforded mythological accomplishments in forty year's time as well.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I want to think that on internet forums it's purely down to white knighting. But some people just stupidly believe that there can be a parity between male and female athletes at a high level of any sport that requires physical prowess.

Most of this is due to the general ignorance that people have regarding how hard it is to train to be an athlete in a particular sport. That and the ignorance of the genetics, hormones, biomechanics, and level of physicality needed to perform at a decent level. Combine this with gender-equality mentalities (which have been sadly misappropriated into the field of sports) and you just get a staggering level of ignorance.

Personally, I'm more offended by the insinuation that a women's skill is measured by whether or not she could beat a man. You either let a female variation of a sport stand by its own merits, or you don't have the sport at all.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I want to think that on internet forums it's purely down to white knighting. But some people just stupidly believe that there can be a parity between male and female athletes at a high level of any sport that requires physical prowess.

Most of this is due to the general ignorance that people have regarding how hard it is to train to be an athlete in a particular sport. That and the ignorance of the genetics, hormones, biomechanics, and level of physicality needed to perform at a decent level. Combine this with gender-equality mentalities (which have been sadly misappropriated into the field of sports) and you just get a staggering level of ignorance.

Personally, I'm more offended by the insinuation that a women's skill is measured by whether or not she could beat a man. You either let a female variation of a sport stand by its own merits, or you don't have the sport at all.
Yeah, never underestimate the general level of ignorance when it comes to the human body and athletic performance. In one of those threads I saw someone post that they found it almost impossible to believe that there could be a gap between the sexes that women couldn't overcome with hard training. I pointed out that their opinion implies that all current and former female athletes are lazy scrubs. You'd think with combat sports already being separated into classes based on physical advantages people would be more understanding but apparently they just see that Ronda and Faber both weigh in at 135 so it should be a close fight.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Nailed it.

I read from a separate source today that Watson got into an altercation with one of the fighters over their weight cut. Maybe whoever FRB's source is thought it was Munoz cause he missed weight?

benderkduou.gif

brentech

Totally agree. Just think the reason people do that is she has torn through her opponents. Assume the thoughts go to 'who can compete with her?' and the first thought for most is a man.

Again, agree, but understand what people are doing even if it's annoying.

industrian

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Josh Burkman added to UFC 187.

I imagine that Weidman will get injured, but even then the event will still be a monster.

industrian

Is Munoz being kept for an event in the Philippines or is the "three strikes and you're cut" rule now dead?

While we're on the subject though: Brian Bowles, Stanislav Nedkov, Andy Ogle, Akira Corassani, Humberto Brown, Rodolfo Rubio, Juan Puig and Tim Gorman have been cut. I'm sure that Bowles was cut like 2 years ago though, and I think that Nedkov and Corassani retired.

If no one starts a new thread, i reckon we can go another year before anyone notices were over the page limit.

120 or so posts to go.

That should take us another year.

Cyborg to Rener after he said she gets more credit than she deserves:

Cyborg said:
Too much credit? Who are you to say this.You don't know how hard a fighters life is. You were born with a life of luxury, you don't know The struggles a Brazilian girl has in America. No promotion helps me grow, only blood and sweat, chute boxe style. Nobody made my name but me, I have no grandfather name to live off. Go promote your online students while I earn my credit fighting, and
ask the real Gracies what respect means.

Hahaha. I'm so tired of Rener. Dude needs to just keep his mouth shut.

iddqd

Every Time this thread comes up, I expect injuries to have killed those two great PPV's.

But its just the second best thing BURT WATSON RUMORS.

The stuff MMA media runs on,
- Fedor gave an interview and said this and that (fighters tweet their outrages response)
- Brock sighted, was he thinking about coming back? (fighters and brendan schaub tweet their call outs)
- CM Punk learning to throw a punch (Kimbo to fight him? Is brandon vera coming back?)
- Anderson still denies everything ("his legend is untainted, his legend is tarnished"

It might be my fault for reading BloodyElbow.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So it's like gaming websites, except instead of fights getting cancelled it's games getting delayed and adding dlc/season passes.

Every Time this thread comes up, I expect injuries to have killed those two great PPV's.

But its just the second best thing BURT WATSON RUMORS.

The stuff MMA media runs on,
- Fedor gave an interview and said this and that (fighters tweet their outrages response)
- Brock sighted, was he thinking about coming back? (fighters and brendan schaub tweet their call outs)
- CM Punk learning to throw a punch (Kimbo to fight him? Is brandon vera coming back?)
- Anderson still denies everything ("his legend is untainted, his legend is tarnished"

It might be my fault for reading BloodyElbow.
Give those topics salacious headlines and exclamation points and you have 99% of Jesse Holland's articles.

industrian

So what's the best website to keep up with ufc. Rankings and all that? The official site seems kinda shitty.

Sherdog has been the go-to place for rankings and such for at least the last ten years. They also cover Bellator, ONE, WSOF and smaller organizations as well to give you a more complete overview of the sport, rather than just pigeonholing you with just whatever the UFC says.

An actually damn good UFC ppv next week.

Showtime vs Dos Anjos
straweight championship
Immortal vs Hendricks
Roids vs Nelson
Stout vs Pearson

Pettis actually not calling off sick is a shocker

Top Bottom