• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Friends, I'm hoping this random posting from Enslaved on Facebook has something to do with an announcement of a sequel soon ...

0123 – 0132 – 0231 – 0213 – 0321 – 0312
1230 – 1203 – 1320 – 1302 – 1023 – 1032
2301 – 2310 – 2103 – 2130 – 2013 – 2031
3210 – 3201 – 3102 – 3120 – 3012 – 3021

One of the most underrated games of this generation. (and yes, I know you thought it was terrible Face)

ibjICqQIP0em8s.png

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I've worked 12 days in a row with this job I'm hating more and more. I'll enjoy my extra long 4 day weekend.

Ive been doing quite a few six day weeks. I hate the feeling that im always at work and i absolutely detest the morning rush. This was supposed to be a part time no hassle gig but its become a full time plus source of irritation. I need to get off my ass and find myself a real job.

Tgif friends. Im clearly not cut out for this soul crushing 9 to 5 grind. Even if it isnt the hardest job.
I'd kill for 9 to 5. I work from 7am to 7pm or even 8pm sometimes. Lots of 6 and 7 day weeks coming up too and I may have to give up my Rampage/Tito ticket.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'd kill for 9 to 5. I work from 7am to 7pm or even 8pm sometimes. Lots of 6 and 7 day weeks coming up too and I may have to give up my Rampage/Tito ticket.

This was supposed to be a part time till i got my shit together gig. I dont mind long hours at a real job but since this company is small they always need me. Pay isn't bad but i spend way too much time here. I dont have enough time to work on my own things which was the whole point of me taking this job. I might just look for a copywriting gig. Might as well waste my time with something i can put on my resume.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
This was supposed to be a part time till i got my shit together gig. I dont mind long hours at a real job but since this company is small they always need me. Pay isn't bad but i spend way too much time here. I dont have enough time to work on my own things which was the whole point of me taking this job. I might just look for a copywriting gig. Might as well waste my time with something i can put on my resume.

Move to Taiwan and take my job.

I don't mind the marketing part of it. I just hate the "you speak English natively so please go through this 22 page word document and correct the grammar/spelling" part and the waves upon waves of poorly planned/implemented intertwining collaborative software & methods that I need to navigate in order to make sure that the job is "done right." This shit wears you down like a motherfucker.

That and doing ad hoc customer service on Twitter and Facebook. Which really pisses me the fuck off. Companies should really know by now that as much as they want their social media presences to be Happy Fun Time Walled Gardens of Corporate Propaganda, they're just de facto 1-900 numbers without the phone bill. Having to apologise via Twitter because of some unresolved technical support situation is a daily part of my "marketing" job description - simply because social media is a "marketing" tool.

Not a day goes by now without me reconsidering teaching English. No responsibilities, work set hours with work never leaving the office, better pay, and being able to be on NeoGAF 5 hours per day. The downsides of course being no job prospects, little job security, boredom of F5'ing GAF constantly whilst you American motherfuckers are asleep and no-one's posting, dealing with crooked schools, and of course having to put up with kids. It's a crazy situation I've got myself into in Taiwan...

muddream

Banned
They probably use the same numbering system of everything in there online library, I'd say it a one-off.

Frank Shamrock is really fucking weird, but Dana and the Fertittas are always going to look like pieces of shit for not giving him a HoF spot.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Move to Taiwan and take my job.

I don't mind the marketing part of it. I just hate the "you speak English natively so please go through this 22 page word document and correct the grammar/spelling" part and the waves upon waves of poorly planned/implemented intertwining collaborative software & methods that I need to navigate in order to make sure that the job is "done right." This shit wears you down like a motherfucker.

That and doing ad hoc customer service on Twitter and Facebook. Which really pisses me the fuck off. Companies should really know by now that as much as they want their social media presences to be Happy Fun Time Walled Gardens of Corporate Propaganda, they're just de facto 1-900 numbers without the phone bill. Having to apologise via Twitter because of some unresolved technical support situation is a daily part of my "marketing" job description - simply because social media is a "marketing" tool.

Not a day goes by now without me reconsidering teaching English. No responsibilities, work set hours with work never leaving the office, better pay, and being able to be on NeoGAF 5 hours per day. The downsides of course being no job prospects, little job security, boredom of F5'ing GAF constantly whilst you American motherfuckers are asleep and no-one's posting, dealing with crooked schools, and of course having to put up with kids. It's a crazy situation I've got myself into in Taiwan...

I'm moving for sure. I've been thinking about it for a couple years now. Gotta wait it out until after the wedding, then just gotta figure out where we want to go. Most NYC natives have a love hate relationship with the city but for me its been more hate than love for a while. I think that's a big portion of the reason I get the urge to take a permanent lunch break every day at work.

dream

Thank you, friend. This gets my highest recommendation. The sitdown with Ken and Frank was some of the best masculine drama I've ever seen in my life. Two alpha males, with one realizing that it doesn't have to be like that. "I'm not a fighter, I'm a human being" is a mantra I think we could all take something from.

As spectacular as Frank's career was, and I truly do believe that he is one of the best of all time, his failures in life cascaded into an albatross of guilt, and I think the fact that he acknowledges this now that his career, the championships, the crowds, is over--leaving him with the stark realities of quotidian civilian life--is unbelievably poignant. While the cynics amongst us may (and probably rightfully) claim that this was a vanity project designed to build the Frank Shamrock brand, I think Frank's willingness to extend the olive branch to his brother--his teacher, his mentor, the shadow Frank has seemingly spent his adult life trying to emerge from--and admit that he was wrong is an absolutely beautiful moment of humanity that we rarely see in a sport full of testosterone (natural and otherwise) and aggression.

What I found interesting was that when Ken suggested that they finally have the long-discussed Shamrock vs. Shamrock fight for the sake of emotional resolution, Frank responded by incredulously saying, "we have to beat each other up to get closure now?" It indicates to me that while Frank has moved on and is trying to find a new way that isn't rooted in violence, Ken has not. We all know this about Ken, but seeing the contrast depicted in such an immediate and visceral way makes me happy for Frank, while being sad for Ken, who doesn't seem to realize that there may be something beyond Ultimate Fighting. Having said that, Ken's apology to Frank rang more true than anything he's said since losing to Robert "Buzz" Berry.

In the end, I think "Bound By Blood" was the perfect title for this documentary. It was mentioned in this thread that the Shamrocks aren't blood brothers, but that observation may be too myopic. As a fighter, as a father, as a son, and as a man, Frank Shamrock was haunted by bonds and legacy, and all the mistakes that he openly admits to seem to have been in response to that suffocating anxiety that the Shamrock name brought to him. Whether it was breaking free from the Lion's Den to establish his own identity (and it seems telling that, from what I remember, he started going by Frank Juarez Shamrock then) or refusing to reconcile with Bob Shamrock as the patriarch of the clan lay on his death bed, being a Shamrock seems to have poisonous to Frank's ability to find peace in his identity. At the documentary's end, then, I think it's inspiring to see that it wasn't, in fact, too late for Frank to reconcile his own distinct identity with the Shamrock heritage that he had simultaneously embraced and rejected with every decision he made.

Themes of guilt, forgiveness, and redemption are rare in the Ultimate, and rightfully so. But I think that here the personalities are so strong and legendary that what began as a cathartic moment for the Shamrock brothers became my own catharsis. By starring in this documentary, by opening his life--flaws and all--to the world, I think Frank Shamrock has redefined the notion of manhood in a sport where masculinity had been characterized by heavy metal, Affliction t-shirts, and superman punches. And while those traits may, in truth, be a big part of what being a man entails, I think we see now that there's more than that. Manhood is also, as Frank shows, acceptance, forgiveness, and reconciliation.

10/10, and I hope you all watch this.

Heel

What I found interesting was that when Ken suggested that they finally have the long-discussed Shamrock vs. Shamrock fight for the sake of emotional resolution, Frank responded by incredulously saying, "we have to beat each other up to get closure now?" It indicates to me that while Frank has moved on and is trying to find a new way that isn't rooted in violence, Ken has not.

Ken just struck me as a man who can't pass up a potential paycheck. In fact, money may have been the only thing that got him to sit down in that chair in the first place.

"Come on, dude. We did it in training and didn't get paid!"

dream

Ken just struck me as a man who can't pass up a potential paycheck. In fact, money may have been the only thing that got him to sit down in that chair in the first place.

"Come on, dude. We did it in training and didn't get paid!"

I don't doubt for a second that Ken received an honorarium for appearing in this documentary, but I think he earned every penny of it. He played the big brother role to a tee, from claiming that he believed in Frank all along, to STILL not seeing how much damage he did to Frank in the infamous Lion's Den Tryout.

And the tryout itself is an interesting point because we are presented with both Frank's and Ken's perspective on that formative ass-whooping. I think I sympathize with Frank; destroying someone to show them that they have the fortitude to take it seems incredibly harmful to me. And as we saw from Frank's rebellion, the tryout made him as a fighter, but it left him utterly damaged as a man.

But Ken's point about Frank sauntering out of prison, with the "long, wavy black hair" gives me a different understanding of who Ken Shamrock is. Yes, he's a conman. Yes, he's a bully. But the Shamrock name obviously means everything to him (other than money), and I do believe that he loved Frank and thought he was saving his brother by showing him his way. I do believe that Ken was trying to protect the Shamrock family by beating respect into Frank and forcing him to stray from what would have been a dark and possibly catastrophic path that he was already heading towards.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
:(

paul harris.

hasnt BJ penn done the same a number of times? i guess a choke is a bit different then a joint manipulation, but still.

Bellator moving to Fridays and infringing on AXS territory has really fucked with my normal BAD-MMA viewing schedule. I hate having to switch back and forth between Bellator and AXS to see which is showing the bigger cans.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I legit thought he had a red buzzcut until the end of the gif.

Still, impressive budo and ninjitsu from Maurice.

MjFrancis

I wonder how much longer Vio-lence will be around at this rate. He's playing with fire right now, but it hasn't burned him just yet.

DKehoe

I don't doubt for a second that Ken received an honorarium for appearing in this documentary, but I think he earned every penny of it. He played the big brother role to a tee, from claiming that he believed in Frank all along, to STILL not seeing how much damage he did to Frank in the infamous Lion's Den Tryout.

And the tryout itself is an interesting point because we are presented with both Frank's and Ken's perspective on that formative ass-whooping. I think I sympathize with Frank; destroying someone to show them that they have the fortitude to take it seems incredibly harmful to me. And as we saw from Frank's rebellion, the tryout made him as a fighter, but it left him utterly damaged as a man.

But Ken's point about Frank sauntering out of prison, with the "long, wavy black hair" gives me a different understanding of who Ken Shamrock is. Yes, he's a conman. Yes, he's a bully. But the Shamrock name obviously means everything to him (other than money), and I do believe that he loved Frank and thought he was saving his brother by showing him his way. I do believe that Ken was trying to protect the Shamrock family by beating respect into Frank and forcing him to stray from what would have been a dark and possibly catastrophic path that he was already heading towards.

I've read stuff about how Ken trained guys at the Lion's Den and he sounds like a madman. He would do stuff like wake guys up in the middle of the night, tell them he was going to kill them the next day in training then during training wouldn't release chokes after they had tapped.

EDIT: Also, on the Wrestling Observer board, Meltzer was saying that Frank did go and see Bob Shamrock after the heart attack. The documentary really didn't make that clear.

Frank did visit Bob after he had the heart attack.

But he didn't go to Bob's funeral.

There is a lot of Bob & Frank's relationship that they didn't go into. It's very complex. Frank doesn't trust anyone and can't keep a relationship with anyone very easily. His childhood was a nightmare of things he pretty much repressed.

Top Bottom