• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Got a UFC credit card offer in the mail. Seems to be zero benefit other than having a credit card that says 'UFC' on it .. if you want to call that a benefit.

Considering Dominator Cruz won't actually make it to the fight, I don't think so.

Fair point. That's is a very real possibility.

@shaunalshatti: Dana on if Uriah Hall could get cut for Mayhem incident --> RT @danawhite: fuck no!!! I'm gonna give him a bonus!!!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You're right, watching Frank get knocked never gets old. Speaking of that fight, Overeem is training that hugging shit with Badr.

BXfjy_vIcAA8guP.jpg
Can't wait for Reem to put the beatdown on Frank for 2 minutes before gassing while the ref just quietly looks on and Reem gets bonked once and gets sent on a stairway to heaven for a TKO victory for Frank Mur.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Going to be see some serious crow served around here when Dominator crushes Barao
18 months from now in the rematch when he's re-acclimated himself to MMA.

VoxPop

Former TNA World Champion Bully Ray has made a serious offer, according to the Wrestling Observer and Mike Johnson of PWInsider, to replace Tito Ortiz in his main event Bellator fight against Rampage Jackson.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why isn't RJJ back in the picture? I shit you not, the rumor is Rampage is fighting Sokoudjou.

Listen what you gotta remember is that Rameau is a stud. He's a dangerous dude. Yea he had a couple setbacks so what. He got caught. It happens. We're gonna do this fight and i have a feeling he's going to silence a lot of critics man.

Frank Mir is going to beat Overeem folks. Unlike mister juice, he's a UFC product with the ability to deliver the goods. He lost against black fedor, not against trailor park trash next door.

MjFrancis

It's more a case of I know a lot of assholes just like Conor Mac. And most of them are Irish. Especially the "proud Irish" types living abroad who constantly proclaim how Ireland is some sort of eternal paradise that they will defend to the death - even though they've not been "home" in like 10 years and have more in line with Scottish/English/Australian/American culture than Irish. That and to see - an albeit talented guy - Conor Mac get a push just to profit from these aforementioned types rubs me the wrong way. His attitude will do nothing except set the mainstream acceptance of MMA back ten years.
I am awash in people who proclaim how Ireland is some sort of eternal paradise. And despite their shamrock and Irish flag tattoos, these people are several generations removed from that country! I'm describing family here, though not all are distasteful in their affections towards their heritage.

There's a sizable diaspora far removed from Conner Mac's heritage that will nonetheless root for him since he's "the Irish guy" in the fight. And I find it amusing that you run into proud Irish types living abroad when I'm surrounded by proud Irish types who aren't Irish at all. I don't even live in Boston.

SteveWD40

I am awash in people who proclaim how Ireland is some sort of eternal paradise. And despite their shamrock and Irish flag tattoos, these people are several generations removed from that country! I'm describing family here, though not all are distasteful in their affections towards their heritage.

There's a sizable diaspora far removed from Conner Mac's heritage that will nonetheless root for him since he's "the Irish guy" in the fight. And I find it amusing that you run into proud Irish types living abroad when I'm surrounded by proud Irish types who aren't Irish at all. I don't even live in Boston.

I remember a few Irish guys I know hating the shit out of Marcus Davis back in the day, mainly because is like 1/4 Irish, lived in Maine (yet wanted to fight in Dublin / Boston all the time) and is actually more Welsh than Irish iirc, yet his walk out was like a St Paddys day Parade.

Too many Americans romanticise the shit out of being Irish.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Fuck fish tacos. I managed to poison myself and 3 other people with tainted fish. I spent a good ten minutes vomiting this morning and im not even pregnant.

MjFrancis

I remember a few Irish guys I know hating the shit out of Marcus Davis back in the day, mainly because is like 1/4 Irish, lived in Maine (yet wanted to fight in Dublin / Boston all the time) and is actually more Welsh than Irish iirc, yet his walk out was like a St Paddys day Parade.

Too many Americans romanticise the shit out of being Irish.
When American culture leaves something to be desired you supplement it with something that has a bit more flavor to it. I imagine billions are left with this void since American culture is the de facto world culture. Hollywood and McDonalds have done their job well.

If we're all stuck in a real-life game of Civilization the United States has won a cultural victory by now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They downgraded Bellator PPV to a cable show this time around right?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I guess Sokoudjou was out of their price range.

When you have a chance to sign a guy who fought for the UFC three weeks ago (let's ignore that he got cut two and a half weeks ago) and has a nickname like "The Mexicutioner" you can't pass on it.

VoxPop

Can't wait for Beltran to KO an overconfident Rampage and destroy Bellator in the process

That much closer to Chandler/Alvarez x Pettis

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well Rampage said he wanted somebody to stand and bang with him. Beltran has an iron chin, so he better watch it.

dream

Bellator's attempt to break into PPV was canceled just eight days in advance with a lot of questions unanswered.

The company held a press conference on 10/25, just eight days before the 11/2 show, to announce that Tito Ortiz suffered a fractured neck, and that even though willing, there was no way they would allow him to fight. Instead of giving Quinton Jackson a new opponent, he was pulled from the show, which was then moved from PPV to Spike TV.

Spike announced a three-hour show starting at 9 p.m. Eastern, featuring originally scheduled PPV fights with Michael Chandler (12-0) vs. Eddie Alvarez (24-3) for the lightweight title, King Mo Lawal (11-2) vs. Emanuel Newton (21-7-1) for the interim light heavyweight title, Pat Curran (19-4) vs. Daniel Straus (21-4) for the featherweight title, Joe Riggs (39-14) vs. Mike Bronzoulis (15-5) in the Fight Master tournament final and opening with Akop Stepanyan (13-6) vs. Mike Richman (15-3).

There will also be five prelims starting at 7 p.m. Eastern on Spike.com. Former UFC star Karo Parisyan, who was scheduled to face Cristiano Souza, from the cast of Fight Master, also pulled out of the show due to injury. Souza will still be on the undercard against Alejandro Garcia.

Jackson will now face recent UFC cut Joey Beltran, a mid-level slugger with a great ability to take punishment, in the main event of the 11/15 show at Revel in Atlantic City.

This season's heavyweight tournament final, Cheick Kongo vs. Vinicius Spartan (Vinicius Queiroz), scheduled as the main event of the pre-show on Spike, is now out due to Spartan tearing his ACL. Since that injury will require somewhere around eight months to a year off, they in this case need to either bring back Lavar Johnson, who lost to Spartan, and have him face Kongo in a new final when Johnson is ready (he'll have to sit out time since he was knocked out by Spartan), or just declare Kongo the tournament winner. They have some time to wait since heavyweight champion Alexander Volkov still has to face Vitali Minakov, before the Kongo vs. Spartan winner was scheduled for his title shot. But it makes no sense to hold Kongo and the tournament final off for as long as it would take for Spartan to return. The fight had originally been moved to the main event spot on the 11/8 show in Thackerville, OK.

Ortiz was said to have suffered the injury, a fractured C-6 vertebrae, although no explanation was given past it was in training, on 10/19. Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and Spike President Kevin Kay said they went through various options and ideas before making their decision.

The show was unlikely to do well in a PPV market where even with the major promotion, the UFC, people are becoming more and more selective in their purchases. Whatever appeal Jackson vs. Ortiz had was closer to Rashad Evans vs. Dan Henderson, two superstars who haven't done as well of late but have been long-time big names. That show did less than 150,000 buys even with the UFC brand name and its level of promotion. Spike had promoted the hell out of the show with commercials all over not just Spike but several other Viacom cable stations. Spike also took out a full page ad in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated, which doesn't come cheap. It, of course, lists the old card and specifies it as a PPV.

Coming in a period when UFC has a number of major shows on the horizon, the only way this would have done well is if it caught fire in the last week, and there were no signs of that happening. The advance wasn't strong, which isn't a fool-proof indicator, but more often than not is a good one.

Rebney said they had Attila Vegh, their light heavyweight champion, in training camp, but he was more there to back up if there was an in jury to Lawal or Newton. Why a light heavyweight champion would be in training and on weight to back up a match third from the top but not the main event is a question that wasn't fully answered. Granted, there would be limited interest in Jackson vs. Vegh, and Bellator's doctrine about title matches being earned would not have allowed it to be a title match. Plus, Jackson had been training for a three-round fight, so it would have had to have been a title fight.

But as far as those who had purchased tickets, at least they'd get to see Jackson, who was probably the biggest drawing card for the live show. Now they paid to see a main event where neither man is fighting on the show. And while it may not have been a great fight, and Chandler vs. Alvarez was more likely to have stolen the show based on their previous fight, it's more than likely most of the people buying tickets, particularly in Long Beach, since Jackson and Ortiz are both Southern California guys, came to see the headliners.

Jackson himself seemed unclear what was going on for him, because even after the announcement, he was tweeting about how he hoped he was still on the card. Rebney had said at the press conference that Jackson would be fighting on one of the usual Friday night shows, "hopefully before Thanksgiving," noting Jackson had trimmed to 220 pounds and was in shape ready to fight. Given Vegh was in shape and ready to fight, it seems strange that isn't the fight made. Jackson himself threw out the name of Kimbo Slice, a heavyweight who has moved over to low-level boxing, who was once a big MMA draw but hasn't even trained in the sport for years, as a prospective opponent, but he seemed like he was just talking without really having any idea what was going on.

The other option would have been Jackson vs. Lawal and Vegh vs. Newton in a title match, given Newton had earned the title shot before Lawal to begin with. On the surface that seems like a good idea. But what was strange, with Ortiz being hurt on 10/19, Lawal, like pretty much everyone, never even found out about it until 10/25.

"I told em I'd fight Quinton, too," Lawal said.

An issue here is Spike has a ton invested in Jackson. They want him as a PPV draw, if that's possible. They are talking about a full ten episode season of a Rampage reality show, when he's not in training and can be out having fun. Ortiz was probably a safe opponent, since Jackson was a favorite in that fight. With Lawal, there is significantly more danger of him losing. Beltran is nowhere near the level of Jackson, although he would have the ability to possibly outlast Jackson because he is tough if Jackson were to show up out of shape. But stylistically, he's tailor made for an entertaining Jackson win.

Then again, they were close to making a fight with Jackson vs. Roy Jones Jr. under boxing rules, that Jackson would have likely lost. The only explanation I can come up with for Jackson not being on the show is that once it was taken off PPV, they figured they would try and get two good ratings out of it (one for Chandler vs. Alvarez and one for Jackson) instead of one.

The odds were that this PPV was not going to be successful. Taking Jackson and Ortiz off the payroll, it may be an expensive weekly show, but it should do better than usual television numbers, as should a Jackson fight against anyone. As far as the economic hit, it's impossible to ascertain. My gut says they actually save substantial money on the night because the PPV revenue was not going to cover anywhere near what Jackson and Ortiz were being paid.

However, the expense of Jackson's salary is still there, just listed for another show. The belief may have been that putting Jackson in a television fight, they have a lot more leeway as to opponents than putting him in a PPV fight, which Beltran as the foe seems to bear out. But given his contract, it's likely to blow away the budget for a regular Friday night show, so some of the savings on 11/2 are going to be major losses on 11/15.

They'll save money on Ortiz not fighting, but Ortiz is still under contract and will likely still try to fight, perhaps even against Jackson because it's the only fight that can even come close to justifying Ortiz's contract, when he gets healthy. So that expense is still there. The question becomes do they again try it on PPV, and does Ortiz try and get ready for a fight again when he really should retire.

As far as the costs of putting a show on Spike vs. PPV, there are some differences but based on speaking to a promoter in the industry, it's not really a major thing. Traditionally, the promotion pays the PPV costs, while the station pays the costs of the satellite hook-ups for television. In this case, Peter and Paul are the same, in the sense, while Bellator is a company under Viacom, the parent company of Spike TV, it is owned and funded by Viacom. So the difference is basically how much revenue can be made based on television sponsorship of the event being put on with eight days to spare vs. the combination of the corporate sponsorship of the event (by essentially the same sponsors) and whatever PPV revenue comes in. Keep in mind that the sponsorship revenue is likely not to be all that different since Spike had scheduled the prelims from 8-10 p.m. leading to the PPV, and instead, it's the main card from 9 p.m. to midnight. So essentially they are out whatever PPV revenue the event would have drawn, which was likely to have been in the $850,000 range for 50,000 buys, plus whatever added revenue they get for another hour of Bellator content.

The event will have greater visibility to the public as a television event and is the best card they've put on to date, but it will feel less important. A PPV show has far more impact to those who see it because it's a special stage than a television show, and the events become more memorable. But less people will see it.

When Spike purchased Bellator, the model was roughly 26 weekly fight shows per year, ancillary programming such as reality shows (Fight Master was a bomb in the ratings and the second season hasn't been ordered). Gym Rescue with Randy Couture is currently in production. The idea is also to possibly do a ten-episode Rampage 4 Real reality series based on a period when he's not training for a fight. The idea was the big money would be made eventually on PPV, as in the UFC business model.

The idea was not to do what UFC and WWE have done, with the monthly PPVs with dates booked well in advance and filling in matches for the dates, but do the boxing model of getting the right main event, and then booking the date.

Jackson vs. Ortiz was heavily criticized as the first main event, but there was no better alternative. While nostalgia, in bringing back Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie in 2006 did work huge in the PPV market for MMA, times have changed with the glut of shows. What we don't know is if Bellator is like TNA, in the sense that the PPV ceiling is somewhat limited simply based on No. 1 having too many shows so there is limited interest in anything done by a No. 2. Bellator doesn't appear to have a huge distinct audience, and its TV audience could be like TNA, in the sense they are MMA fans who will watch it for free, but aren't willing to pay for the product.

There was a time not that long ago when Jackson vs. Ortiz under the UFC banner would have easily topped 300,000 buys, but today, it would probably be closer to 130,000 to 200,000. Removing the UFC name from the banner, and it's uncharted water what it would mean other than no promotion other than Zuffa has been able to successfully do MMA on PPV in the U.S. Affliction didn't do badly in the sense they got six figure buys, and without a television outlet. But they lost their ass badly because the amount they spent on talent was too far out of whack and they lost millions per event.

Ortiz was said to have been in tremendous pain, to the point he didn't even want to fly to Las Vegas to see the doctor who did his neck surgery, to be examined after his injury. The injury is said to have not been related to his previous neck problems. He got his MRI results, revealing the fracture, on 10/23. However, he was on TSN's "Off the Record" on 10/24 (which I believe was taped with him being at a studio in Southern California on 10/23), still promoting his fight.

Rebney claimed Ortiz said he was wanting to go through with the fight, but he wouldn't allow it after hearing the doctor warn that if he was slammed and landed badly, Ortiz was risking permanent paralysis. He made no estimate of when Ortiz would be ready to fight, saying doctors told them that it's possible Ortiz would not be able to fight again. Ortiz has had a history of back, neck and knee problems, and pulled out of his 2010 fight with Chuck Liddell after doing the season coaching Ultimate Fighter due to a worsening neck issue. The injuries resulted in his retirement last year when his UFC contract expired.

In his last several years in UFC, it had become a broken record where he would claim before every fight to have been in his best shape since 2003 and injury free, only to, after the fight, list his injuries that allowed him to do only limited training. Since his two wins over Ken Shamrock in 2006, he's gone 1-7-1, and had pulled out of a few scheduled top fights due to injuries. Granted, that was mostly against top-level competition, and he was competitive in most of those fights. He was once again declaring himself in his best condition in years, even though the reality is he had just had reconstructive knee surgery in May, and was scheduled to fight five months later. Generally after that surgery, the earliest someone fights is about nine months. Just that fact alone told how much Bellator was throwing the dice in making this match.

With the change, Spike has also changed its television plans for building up the show. The third episode of Rampage 4 Real that was scheduled to air after Impact on Halloween night was going to be re-edited and will air after Impact on 11/14. In its place, from 11 p.m. to midnight on Halloween night will be, first, a 30 minute Chandler vs. Alvarez special that debuted on 10/28. Alvarez came off very compelling in the show and they didn't go into detail on the legal and contract situation, but it was mentioned about how important this fight is to Alvarez, far more than any fight in his career, because of the ramifications. He also made a remark about how it would feel for Rebney to have to strap the title belt on him. Appearing on the special to hype the fight included UFC fighters Dan Henderson, Michael Johnson and Ross Pearson, which is the equivalent of WWE stars appearing on a TNA Countdown special. Immediately following will be a newly-edited 30 minute Countdown special promoting all three title bouts.

Chandler vs. Alvarez for the lightweight title is a rematch of the November 19, 2011, fight in Hollywood, FL, where Chandler beat Alvarez via choke in the fourth round in what was among the greatest MMA fights of all-time, and easily the best and most memorable fight in Bellator history.

Moving this show to Spike with a Chandler vs. Alvarez headliner could have been very telling from a legal standpoint. When Alvarez was attempting to sign with UFC after his Bellator deal expired, Bellator claimed that as part of matching the UFC offer, they were going to give him similar points on a PPV show he would headline with Chandler in his first fight back. The points started at 200,000 buys, which was where the UFC contract offer started. For UFC, his debut was scheduled for the Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz show as the semifinal, meaning his PPV points would have ended up being worth more than $1 million. For Bellator, which had no chance to do 200,000 buys, those points were worth nothing. However, by moving this fight, even with Chandler vs. Alvarez still on the card and now as the main event, showed Bellator did not have the confidence in the two to actually put them in a PPV main event.

For Alvarez at this stage, it doesn't seem to matter about the move of the fight to TV. If anything, it's a positive for the fighters on the show since they'll be seen by far more people. By all rights, this should be Bellator's most-watched event in its history.

The belief is that Alvarez, if he wins, will only have to fight once more with Bellator and he's an unrestricted free agent. If he loses this fight, he's an unrestricted free agent. It should be noted that while these terms have not been said to be inaccurate by either side, neither side confirmed them and Alvarez's side put out a statement saying that the terms are confidential and that people shouldn't be speculating about them. The terms are actually a major part of the behind-the-scenes story.

If Alvarez wins, most likely a third Chandler fight would be arranged. It's the ultimate sink-or-swim scenario for Alvarez. If he loses to Chandler, there is a question whether UFC would sign him. I would expect they would if it's a great competitive fight, but there's no guarantees UFC would make a substantial offer to a good fighter coming off two straight losses to the champion of the rival organization. In a sense, if Alvarez loses this fight, and then comes in and does damage in UFC, it gives Chandler tremendous credibility. Even if UFC would sign him, there's no way he'd be able to get a deal on the level of his original offer.

Alvarez is, or at least was before all the pressure he's been under, an exciting and charismatic fighter, so, unless he's blown out in the first round or looks bad, he would be of value to UFC as far as potentially exciting matches with a ton of different fighters in UFC's deepest division.

If he wins twice, then Bellator loses big. It would mean that Alvarez will have beaten Chandler, generally considered the company's best fighter, twice, and would then leave the promotion for UFC, where at that point he would likely get a strong offer and would walk in with a superstar level of promotion.

Bellator is banking that Alvarez can't beat Chandler twice in a row. It's a bet where the odds favor Bellator, since Chandler has looked outstanding since winning the title, beating Akihiro Gono and David Rickels both in less than one minute, and completely dominating Rick Hawn, leading to a second round stoppage, in his three bouts since.

That quiet storyline, only known to a few, is actually the most interesting thing about this week's show.

dream

The UFC has continued a trend of lower numbers for both TV and PPV since the move to FS 1, as the 10/26 show from Manchester, England did 122,000 viewers, the second lowest of the five afternoon time slot shows.

It was the third least watched live show in company history. The show, headlined by Lyoto Machida vs. Mark Munoz, had aired at 3 p.m. Eastern and Noon Pacific time. But this one may be more concerning in the sense that it showed how few super hardcore fans there are at this point.

There have been two shows historically that did worse for live airings. The November 10, 2012, show from Macau (Rich Franklin vs. Cung Le), airing on Fuel (now FS 2) did 88,000 viewers, but that was a show that aired at 9 a.m. Eastern on a Saturday and 6 a.m. Pacific time. Plus, the show had a 7 p.m./4 p.m. replay that did 143,000 viewers.

The September 29, 2012, show from Nottingham, England (Stefan Struve vs. Stipe Miocic) did 111,000 viewers in the same time slot as this past weekend's show, but that also did 140,000 viewers for a prime time replay.

This show, without the more convenient replay, overall was the least watched UFC event in history when it came to full day viewership.

Other European events in the same time slot were April 14, 2012 (197,000 viewers for Alexander Gustafsson vs. Thiago Silva); February 16, 2013 (195,000 viewers for Renan Barao vs. Michael McDonald) and April 6, 2013 (236,000 viewers for Gegard Mousasi vs. Ilar Latifi).

The key thing we can get out of this is UFC gets hurt on Saturday afternoons when there is college football all over television. All afternoon shows need a prime time replay because a large percentage of UFC viewers, particularly during football season, would rather watch it when convenient and are not going to DVR it. For all that it would seem that the DVR changes viewership and you can watch a show aired in an inconvenient time at your leisure, the fact is, a ton of regular UFC viewers do not do that. All these numbers cited include same day DVR viewership. The point being that even for people who felt the show wasn't in a convenient slot, very few bothered to DVR and watch it at least on the same day.

The show was an ordinary show, certainly more good than bad. Machida, in his debut at 185 pounds, looked in his best condition and apparently had little discomfort in making weight. In going against Munoz, who he had been training with until the call came to replace the injured Michael Bisping in the fight, he was never hit once. He connected with several body kicks before throwing a left high kick that Munoz got his hand up to block, but was so powerful it knocked him out. It's tough to see where Munoz goes from here.

The middleweight division, with Machida, Vitor Belfort and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza as contenders is the strongest it has been in company history. It's a great situation if Chris Weidman beats Anderson Silva because he's got a lot of talented challengers. If Silva regains the title, and he's expected to, things get dicey. Silva won't fight Machida, said he doesn't want to fight Belfort (because he beat him already) and Souza has said he won't fight Silva. Dana White threw out the idea of Machida vs. Belfort, and Machida was up for that fight. But that depends on what happens with Belfort vs. Dan Henderson on 11/9.

The semi-main was controversial. Melvin Guillard was battling Ross Pearson in what was expected to be the action fight of the show. Guillard landed two knees, both controversial. In super slow motion, it appeared the first knee was thrown while Pearson was down, but landed just as Pearson's knee got off the ground. The second knee was thrown when Pearson was up, but when it landed, Pearson's hand was on the ground so it was illegal when landing. It appeared the second knee gave him a deep forehead cut, which required about 35 stitches. The cut was so deep the fight was stopped. Pearson was rocked from the knees and if it wasn't stopped at that point would have had a rough time continuing. It was ruled a no contest, as the second knee, which caused the cut, was ruled illegal.

Also controversial was a prelim fight with Jessica Andrade giving Dr. Rosi Sexton a beating. Andrade, who lost to Liz Carmouche by being overpowered by her larger foe, appears too small for the 135 pound weight division at about 5-foot-2. But she's an exciting fighter, 22 years old and reminiscent of a younger Wanderlei Silva. Sexton was taking clean shots to the head over-and-over. The first was exciting, but in the second round, the beating was getting bad. Sexton's face was swelling. She never went down from the punches and was firing back. It should have been stopped and felt ugly. It wasn't a matter of it being a woman taking the beating, but Sexton was furious when she heard about the commentary and saw the reaction. She believed announcer Joe Rogan's saying it should be stopped led the audience at home to think the same thing, and protested that women should be treated like men and there wouldn't be the controversy in a men's fight.

A number of articles have come out in the wake of this fight and the Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos fight regarding corners allowing fighters to take beatings. The problem is, fighters don't want their corners to call it off. And in MMA, with so many ways to win, referees usually wait for a moment where someone is pretty much out before calling it. Sexton took a bad beating, but she did fire back and was never fully out.

The show drew 10,535 fans at the Manchester Phones 4 U Arena and just under $1.5 million U.S. Given the lineup, that is a success for a show many predicted to bomb. It's notable because WWE is running the same arena on both 11/11 and 11/12 for both Raw and Smackdown tapings.

The next U.K. show will be at the O2 Arena in London on 3/8, with Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira as the main event, and Pearson vs. Guillard in a rematch. If Gustafsson wins, he gets the winner of Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira. That would seem to indicate Daniel Cormier, moving down, would face Phil Davis, Gegard Mousasi, Dan Henderson (only if he beats Vitor Belfort on 11/9) or Rashad Evans (only if he beats Chael Sonnen on 11/16). The bonuses of $50,000 went to Machida for best knockout, debuting Nico Musoke for best submission and Luke Barnatt vs. Andrew Craig for best fight.

The Inoki Genome Federation drew a sellout of 3,098 fans on 10/26 for a show that had both pro wrestling and MMA together. In the main event, a pro wrestling match, IGF champion Kazuyuki Fujita beat Hideki Suzuki in 1:58 with a high kick. Naoya Ogawa & Atsushi Sawada beat kickboxing legend Peter Aerts & Hiromi Amada when Ogawa used his STO judo sweep on Amada in 7:53. Bobby Lashley & Kendo Ka Shin beat Shinichi Suzukawa & Shogun Okamoto in 10:45 when Lashley pinned Okamoto with a spear, and Bob Sapp beat the 5th version of Black Tiger with the torture rack submission in 3:31.

They announced a New Year's Eve show at Sumo Hall that will be headlined by something very rare, a pro wrestling championship being defended in a shoot match, as Fujita defends the IGF title against 2008 Olympic judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishii in a shoot match under MMA rules. That's practically handing the title to Ishii. Fujita was a top amateur wrestler in Japan who went to New Japan Pro Wrestling. When shoot matches became big as Pride got popular, and with Inoki having an affiliation with Pride, he had Fujita fight in a number of Pride events. He was able to win most of the time just using wrestling, and even got in a punch on Fedor Emelianenko that nearly knocked him out, but Emelianenko submitted Fujita almost immediately upon regaining his bearings. The shooting elevated Fujita in pro wrestling, as he went from a prelim guy to a main eventer, including IWGP champion, but never was over to the degree hoped for. But he's now 43, hasn't done a real fight in four years and his last win of any kind was nearly six years ago. Ishii is 10-2-1 in MMA, fighting regularly, including on pro wrestling shows for IGF, having won his last six fights since a first round knockout loss to Emelianenko no the 2011 New Year's Eve show.

Ishii headlined the M-1 Challenge show on 10/21 in St. Petersburg, Russia, winning a decision over Jeff Monson to increase his MMA record to 10-2-1. Ishii, who is still talking about representing the U.S. in the Olympics in judo (he is trying to get citizenship because the Japanese judo federation politically won't allow him to compete because he went into MMA and is associated with pro wrestling) in 2016, will next fight on Inoki's New Year's Eve show, which will be a combination shoot and worked show.

The promotion announced through Newsday in New York that two title matches will headline the UFC 169 show on 2/1 in Newark, NJ, the night before the Super Bowl. It'll be the first PPV show of the New Year. Jose Aldo Jr. vs. Ricardo Lamas for the featherweight title and Dominick Cruz vs. Renan Barao to unify the bantamweight title are the dual headliners. The return of Cruz after two reconstructive knee surgeries comes two years and four months after his most recent title defense on October 1, 2011, against Demetrious Johnson. It's been noted that he and Uriah Faber were booked as the semi-final on the 2012 Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen show that did 925,000 buys, and Cruz was due for a cut of that money. Plus, with a stronger undercard since Cruz vs. Faber was coming off TUF, it's likely that PPV would have done the second biggest numbers in company history if Cruz wasn't hurt. For a bantamweight, Cruz lost out on well over $1 million being injured, as well as two plus years of his prime. I've always thought it unfortunate that they didn't strip him of the title because it's asking a lot to be out that long and then face Barao, who I believe is the single most underrated talent in UFC. If he was stripped, and I know they hated to do it, but it would give Cruz a chance to test out his knee in a tune-up fight or two before having to go five rounds with a guy at that level in peak condition. The problem with UFC is that anyone can win, but if you get blown out, even if there are legitimate extenuating circumstances, the public doesn't want to see it. For example, as great as Benson Henderson was in his lightweight title matches, it's going to be very difficult for him to get a title shot as long as Anthony Pettis is champion because of how the last fight went. In a perfect world for UFC, Cruz wins on 2/1 and Urijah Faber beats Michael McDonald on 12/14, but in this case, I don't expect the world to be so perfect. This is going to be a tough sell on Super Bowl week, particularly in the New York market, since the game is at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, meaning all the sports coverage will be football and a fringe sport isn't going to get much.

Regarding PPV, the 9/21 show from Toronto with Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson and Barao vs. Eddie Wineland looks to have done between 300,000 and 325,000 buys. The excuse is coming the week after Mayweather vs. Alvarez, and no doubt that hurt a lot. But still, Jones previously had never done under about 415,000. Then 10/19 with Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos looks to have done only slightly better, maybe 325,000 to 350,000, again the lowest numbers Velasquez has done to date. There are a lot of reasons that can be given, particularly since the 11/16 and 12/28 shows are really the big ones, but even before big ones in the past, the shows leading up may have been down, but never down below the range of what I'd have expected. What's weird is that everything from January through July this year was for the most part good or way better than anticipated. If the product was cooling off, you'd think it would be a gradual thing, but it was up early this year and now seems way down. We did an unscientific web site poll asking people who ordered Jones vs. Sonnen or Silva vs. Weidman, which both did 500,000 plus, but didn't order either of the last two shows, so that's your exact swing audience that and would have expected to have at least come in for Velasquez vs. Dos Santos. The response was 39% said it's just too many shows, 22% said they have lost interest in the product (that's not a good sign because it covers a period from July through September), 16% said they still watch but have switched to illegal streams (also a terrible sign for the company and this is an issue they are very concerned about), 12% said they will buy the next two shows but weren't into the last two main events (I would be concerned that figure wasn't higher), 10% said they did watch at a friend's house or an establishment and only 1% said they didn't order the shows because of PPV competition from boxing or wrestling. I think the company was figuring that most of the drop was the latter reason nobody would admit to, although I fervently believe that played a small part in the Velasquez fight with Marquez airing on HBO that night and on PPV the week before, and far more the timing of the Jones fight, since I went in expecting the lowest Jones numbers ever for that reason. These numbers all of a sudden make predictions of 800,000 and 1 million plus for the next two shows that a lot of people have made not so much of a sure thing. The Las Vegas ticket sales for both shows as far as sales to the public are at a level that would indicate very big numbers for both events.

dream

The plans for 2014 are for 13 PPV shows, four shows on FOX, 14 shows on FX 1 (which will include two TUF finals) and four shows on FS 2, for 35 shows. The first three major shows of next year will be a 1/25 show on FOX from Chicago, a 2/1 PPV from Newark, NJ, and a 2/22 PPV from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Things are going to change next year as there are 22 televised events and 13 PPVs, but there are plans for a lot more than 35 shows. The idea is to run as many as 13 European shows, throughout Europe, most of which will be in smaller arenas and not televised into the U.S. They'll be airing live in prime time on the UFC's various European television affiliates and it'll be almost exclusively European fighters on the shows. They will be hiring a European booker, who will work out of the London office, whose job it'll be to both scout talent in the various countries and then make the matches. They're also looking for Ultimate Fighter shows for European countries to expose the new talent that will be on these shows. The best stars would eventually graduate to the television shows and big shows, some of which will also be in the larger arenas in Europe as well as around the world. The idea is to hire a lot of new European fighters and let them fight each other and stars will come out of it like that. The big question is whether they'll over the long haul be able to sell tickets to UFC brand shows without major stars on it, and if they need a major main event to sell, then that would take those people out of a scheduled worldwide TV/PPV card. A question would be like, if they have a European show and want, say Conor McGregor, to headline and it's one of the non-televised shows, it means with McGregor only having 2-3 fights per year if healthy, that the core North American/Brazilian audience will miss one of his fights. And guys need exposure on bigger shows to become genuine stars. But if the brand name is such that they can sell enough tickets and draw fans in Europe to watch shows without big stars but filled with European fighters, then the series will be a success. It's just with so many shows and people picking and choosing what to watch, is their enough of a market for another tier of smaller shows, whether live or on European television.

All the upcoming advances are strong. Of the shows between now and the end of the year, only 11/30 in Las Vegas and 12/14 in Sacramento aren't going to end up not being sold out. The 10/9 show in Goiania, Brazil, the debut in that city (Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson main event) has sold 7,300 tickets for $700,000. It's virtually sold out. The 12/7 show in Brisbane, Australia (Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva) has sold 9,000 tickets for $1.6 million, also just shy of a sellout. The 11/6 show (Rafael Natal vs. Tim Kennedy) in Fort Campbell, KY, is a military base show so it's free to military and their families and not open to the public for the most part. The 11/16 20th anniversary show in Las Vegas (GSP vs. Johny Hendricks) was at 10,000 tickets sold to fans at ticket outlets for $4.1 million. That doesn't include casino buys, and for a GSP fight, that would be substantial so the gate will be well above $5 million. The 12/14 FOX show in Sacramento (Anthony Pettis vs. Josh Thomson, Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald) has sold 7,500 tickets so far with six weeks to go. The 12/28 show in Las Vegas (Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva and Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate) has sold more than 10,000 tickets and more than $4.1 million. Given there are two shows in the market before it (there's also an 11/30 show at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas with Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez and the TUF finals) and that also doesn't include casino buys, it'll be well over $5 million as well, but that show selling out was a given when the lineup was first announced.

The UFC 20 year history special will air on 11/5 from 9-11 p.m. on FS 1. I saw a copy of it this past week. The history is accurate and they portrayed the people in charge of the old UFC like Bob Meyrowitz, David Isaacs, Campbell McLaren, Rorion Gracie and Art Davie with a lot of respect. In the case of Art Davie, that probably took some work. For those wondering why I wasn't on it, I was supposed to be and a series of mess-ups happened, all on my part, which led to it not happening. There was a lot left out, but in a two hour show, that was going to be the case. They did give Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz credit in 2002 for doing a show that showed there was hope, so didn't eliminate those guys from history nor portray either of them negatively. Frank Shamrock was never talked about, but you would expect that. When you look back, it's a strange road and really tells how much of life and business is pure luck and timing. If it wasn't for the bad luck of SEG running into U.S. Senator John McCain as an enemy, they may have continued the franchise and who knows how it would have turned out. I don't think for a second it would have been close to as big as it was, but it could have been a decent business. It showed just how close UFC was to shutting down or being sold. They said that in 2004, after going through tens of millions (I think the number was $34 million), that the Fertittas wanted out (true story) and asked Dana White to sell it. He said he had talked with Dan Lambert (who it looked in 2000 like he was going to buy the UFC from Meyrowitz but Meyrowitz double-crossed him and sold to Fertitta) about buying it. When White said he could only get $6 million, Fertitta, after all the money he'd put in, decided on one last-ditch effort which was essentially a time buy to get on Spike with Ultimate Fighter. While there was none of the famed Zuffa myth (we ran toward regulations, the previous owners ran from it, we changed the rules and made it a sport), the idea Griffin vs. Bonnar saved the sport is so overblown. With the ratings they got for the first season of TUF, particularly for the Leben vs. Koscheck fight (which did a higher rating than the finale), there's no way there wasn't going to be a second season and the Couture vs. Liddell PPV after the season was doing the 300,000 buys either way. They all talked about signing the deal for a second season due to that fight, but they were already advertising tryouts during the live broadcast for the second season before that fight took place. They very well may not have had contracts signed, but there was no way there wasn't going to be a second season on Spike. The only thing is, Griffin vs. Bonnar was such a hit that Spike very well may have felt they needed to sign contracts that night for fear another station would sign up the suddenly-hot UFC. It also should be noted that UFC only got on the air for two reasons, the first is that the deal Spike wanted, with K-1 in Japan, fell through. The second was that Vince McMahon signed off on it, and allowed Spike to put the Ultimate Fighter on at 11:05 p.m. Monday nights right after Raw (then on Spike) ended, giving UFC the benefit of a fantastic lead-in. But it was very different from a lot of MMA history of people taking credit for things that they didn't do. It was also funny to see the evolution of Joe Rogan as an announcer and Dana White as a public speaker. The show also featured Joe Silva, who never is in any of these types of pieces. Silva first attended the Ultimate Ultimate in Denver and was a consultant to McLaren and Isaacs, and then, largely due to the recommendation of Ortiz, was hired as matchmaker by White and Fertitta, a position he still holds now.

With everyone on location at UFC 166, the company sent Liz Carmouche to accept an award on 10/19 for the UFC as the Corporation of the Year by the Gay and Lesbian Center of Las Vegas. This was not without controversy. The Center gave UFC the award even though the Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada had a public discussion against it claiming UFC has a "troubling history of homophobia, misogyny and a cavalier attitude toward rape." That's based on pressure from the Culinary Workers Union in Las Vegas. UFC got the award for giving financial support for rebuilding a new community center. They noted the participation of UFC is more than funding, noting they've had presence at different events. The company then announced a partnership with the Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Southern Nevada to raise awareness of the realities of HIV. Forrest Griffin will be the spokesperson for the campaign.

Donald Cerrone said that he's considering dropping to featherweight after his 11/16 fight with Evan Dunham. That's going to be difficult for him because he's usually well over 180 and he has trouble cutting to 155.

After a quest that started in the summer of Daniel Bryan being held back by management in storyline, the climactic Hell in a Cell match with Bryan and Orton seemed to end his stay in the top babyface position.

Guest referee Shawn Michaels superkicked Bryan, after Bryan had laid out an interfering HHH with the Busaiku knee in the Hell in a Cell match for the vacant title on 10/27 at the American Airlines Arena in Miami. The superkick allowed Randy Orton to cover Bryan and win the vacant title. This made it four straight PPVs that were built around Bryan's quest to buck management and win the title, and saw him getting screwed all four times.

The Orton vs. Bryan PPV and TV program seems over for now, although they are expected to headline all the house shows for a while, at least as things are advertised right now. Bryan looks to be moving into a program with the Wyatt Family, and the top babyface spots is back with John Cena, as was inevitable once he returned. The other top face spot is with the Big Show, because they've got major plans with him storyline wise over the next several months. And Cena and Orton are back holding the two main titles, the former with the idea it'll help house show business and the latter because the big picture is HHH & Stephanie getting heat as the oppressive management characters for the big storyline showdown for the future of the company at WrestleMania.

The big question regards the main event finish itself. If the idea was to eventually build to a Michaels vs. Bryan singles match, which, if it happens, would surely be at WrestleMania, then it was a finish that got people mad on the night but is great for the long-term. Bryan being in a match with Michaels at Mania will give him a chance to steal the show and he'll be better off for it then even going into that show as champion. They did an in-ring on Raw the next night, where Michaels started out as a face, went to apologize, but then went heel. Bryan ended up acting like he was going to shake Michaels' hand, but instead put him in the Yes lock. That could have been Bryan's getting whatever retribution he was going to get if Michaels won't do another match, in which case the finish was just a way out, and not a very good one since the obvious match follow-up isn't there.

Since the show, a few of Michaels' friends have said that Michaels has stated of late to them that he is not going to wrestle again and has no interest in it. He's actually very adamant about it. At the shows this week, when asked, Michaels was also answering questions and saying the same thing. Michaels did say that he was given a storyline to be a regular television character for a while going forward.

Those who have been around for a long-time don't believe him and think he will wrestle Bryan at WrestleMania, and those people are right more than they are wrong. Time will tell.

Heel

They announced a New Year's Eve show at Sumo Hall that will be headlined by something very rare, a pro wrestling championship being defended in a shoot match, as Fujita defends the IGF title against 2008 Olympic judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishii in a shoot match under MMA rules.

Love this. Put the youngster over, Iron Head.

I was bored at work today so I checked out an ESPN.com MMA chat with Brett Okamoto and found this gem of a question:

Give me a reason why it's ok that Machida won't fight Anderson? In Brazil, it is different. We fight our brothers at drop of hats. I fight you today Brett if you question my judgement on clothes and matters of finance. How come they not fight in those same terms? I respect only mens who fight. Not talk. Not friend. No friends in life. Just opponents.

Alpha of all Alphas. Weidman needs to question Anderson's finances to really get the hype train rolling on their rematch.

Top Bottom