• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
It's pissing down rain, there is lightning everywhere, I've polished a bottle of Captain Morgans and I'm listening to Daft Punk. What you doin tonight?.

Here's a pic I took in Africa.

Dat light, dat sunset, dat Lioness.

dsc010736je10.jpg

Shame the camera wasn't set for super awesome res pics :(

Bonus

Baboon getting a BJ in the middle of the road.

dsc00754iwi8u.jpg

Heel

Should be a great fight. I don't know who I'm picking, but I Alvarez is a cool dude so it'd be nice to see him win.

Yeah, hopefully Eddie and his new coaching staff can use the first fight as a lesson to correct his career-long propensity to block bombs with his face. I watched the first fight again the other day and I firmly believe he would've won until he lost. In round three you'll see that when Eddie is firing on all cylinders they were not in the same league. He's too fast and conditioned as an athlete to lose over the long haul.

That said, a few years in MMA can change a lot and the layoff likely did more harm than good. Here's hoping he beats Chandler twice and becomes a free agent with the Viacom gold around his waist. I predict Eddie will survive early, drown Chandler out with his pace and win with a late stoppage or decision win.

Yup. I think the test for Eddie will primarily be weathering the early storm. Chandler was faster and more accurate early on in the first fight.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Frank Mir training partner, Robert Drysdale Denied License for UFC 167 Due to Absurdly Inflated T/E Ratio

For the second time since his ill-fated signing with the UFC, BJJ world champion Robert Drysdale has been forced to withdraw from a scheduled fight. In July, Drysdale pulled out of a UFC 163 match against Ednaldo Oliveira due to a “staph infection” — yes there are scare quotes around “staph infection,” we’ll get to that later — and now the undefeated light-heavyweight been denied licensure by the NSAC for his UFC 167 match against Cody Donovan, after an out-of-competition drug test came back with a 19.4:1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone (T/E) ratio.

That’s more than three times the NSAC’s testing threshold of 6:1 (which is considered overly liberal in the first place), and even beats the super-inflated T/E ratios that Alistair Overeem (14:1) and Chael Sonnen (16.9:1) previously turned in. If you’re a healthy adult male, your T/E ratio is probably around 1:1. In other words, Robert Drysdale is approximately 20 times the man you are.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
You know you have great friends when they take you out and buy you multiple doubles on the rocks at $90 each shot.

That's the sort of thing I would expect from Host Samurai, inbetween posts about how Jones sucks and how Shogun will KO te Huna.

Speaking of which, where is Host Samurai? I don't think he's posted in a while.

That's the sort of thing I would expect from Host Samurai, inbetween posts about how Jones sucks and how Shogun will KO te Huna.

Speaking of which, where is Host Samurai? I don't think he's posted in a while.

I wish I had that money. I just know a lot people with money and they knew some personal stuff that happened so they took me out to cheer me up. The best drink I had was a 21 year old Nikka.

You're right. I haven't seen him post in awhile.

So I read a writer at Yahoo Sports thought Chandler won the fight with Alvarez. I agree. Though, I'm happy Alvarez got to stick it to the man. However to me, Chandler won rounds 1, 2 and 4.

And can't believe Mo lost to the same guy twice. Once by knockout, the second by decision. He needs to reevaluate his training/game plan.

industrian

So I read a writer at Yahoo Sports thought Chandler won the fight with Alvarez. I agree. Though, I'm happy Alvarez got to stick it to the man. However to me, Chandler won rounds 1, 2 and 4.

And can't believe Mo lost to the same guy twice. Once by knockout, the second by decision. He needs to reevaluate his training/game plan.

I gave at least three rounds to Chandler. I thought it was going to be a fairly cut-and-dry unanimous decision for him.

And if King Mo and Newton did anything tonight it was just to reaffirm the complete mediocrity of the heavier weight classes in Bellator.

Whilst the HW division has received a slight boost over the last year with Volkov, Minakov, Kongo, Graham, etc their LHW division has always been crap and it showed tonight.

King Mo gassed easily and had nothing going on outside of his wrestling comfort zone (what else is new?) And Newton? He was like a beginner Tekken player who'd moved past random button mashing, learnt 3-4 moves and just stuck with them 'til death did him part. One, two, spinning shit. Front kick. Spinning shit. Rinse and repeat. These guys would be lucky to beat Cyrille Diabate or Kyle Kingsbury if they were suddenly thrown into the UFC, yet here they were fighting for the Interim title.

It was clear that other than the first round Newton won that fight but I thought for sure he was gonna get the screwjob from the judges. Glad to see they got it right.

And unfortunately I missed the last half of the Chandler/Alvarez fight thanks to my dvr cutting off. So I have nothing intelligent to say about it other than that it seemed pretty even after the first two rounds.

Nice - @FrontRowBrian: "The People's Champ" Tito Ortiz was serenaded by chants of "FUCK YOU TITO, FUCK YOU TITO" last night at Bellator. The people love him

muddream

Banned
Mo is a pretty good fighter with a pretty low fighting IQ. Opponents with strong defensive wrestling like Newton and Feijao will expose that part, Kyle Kingsbury won't.

Rumors have it Gustaffson's next fight might be versus Manuwa. That would be a very smart move. Much better than a can crushing fight. If Gus loses, Manuwa propels to stardom and title shot. If Gus wins, you get a rematch to one of the better title fights in recent memory. Win win.

SteveWD40

Rumors have it Gustaffson's next fight might be versus Manuwa. That would be a very smart move. Much better than a can crushing fight. If Gus loses, Manuwa propels to stardom and title shot. If Gus wins, you get a rematch to one of the better title fights in recent memory. Win win.

Funny, when they said it was London next for Gus I figured this might be a possibility.

Manuwa will be a huge underdog but has the Voodoo gods on his side, might be worth a flutter.

Heel

Yeah, kind of surprising. What is this, a sport? It will kill a fight for Jones in a division that has no fights for him. I guess you could angle it as "This guy beat the guy that some believe beat Jon Jones!" if Manuwa happens to win, or something.

muddream

Banned
Why would you risk the one guy people wanna see vs Jones against a dangerous prospect nobody knows?

Why would you throw a prospect in there with someone as good as Gus when he hasn't even faced anyone in the top 15 (20?)?

Why would you throw a prospect in there with someone as good as Gus when he hasn't even faced anyone in the top 15 (20?)?

Because 'the prospect' is 14-0 (3-0 in the UFC) and has not only finished every fight but has done so by the 2nd round. Unless he falls apart he's gonna be a major part of the division and right now is just as exciting, if not more so, than Gustaffson.

muddream

Banned
Bader needs to knock out some TUF garbage to be billed as "refocused"...he's no credible jobber at the moment. Now Thiago Silva...that's the guy Jimmy should be fighting. Gus vs Hashad/Chael winner, easy win with his defensive wrestling over a big name.

Because 'the prospect' is 14-0 (3-0 in the UFC) and has not only finished every fight but has done so by the 2nd round. Unless he falls apart he's gonna be a major part of the division and right now is just as exciting, if not more so, than Gustaffson.

Am I being trolled with Sherdog quotes?

SteveWD40

I think Silva makes more sense for Jimmy as well, but I wouldn't say no to a Gus fight either, both would be exiting.

Suprised they would risk their re-match potential though, Manuwa's Hex powers will leave Gus injured either way.

Am I being trolled with Sherdog quotes?

No, you're talking to a guy who loves UFC and would rather see top competition fighting for title shots rather than see guys get put in work matches just so they can get fast tracked to a rematch. If I wanted to see the latter I'd watch Bellator or One FC.

And I haven't been on Sherdog in months. Are they all on Manuwa's nuts or something?

muddream

Banned
Gus already earned the rematch by turning Jones' face into hamburger meat for the better part of 25 minutes. The only reason it's not happening right away is because Jones doesn't want it and Glowver had "earned" his pointless shot already.

Manuwa just had a boring cagepressing match that ended in his barely top 20 opponent injuring himself. How exactly is he at least as exciting to the division as Gus?

Gus already earned the rematch by turning Jones' face into hamburger meat for the better part of 25 minutes. The only reason it's not happening right away is because Jones doesn't want it and Glowver had "earned" his pointless shot already.

Manuwa just had a boring cagepressing match that ended in his barely top 20 opponent injuring himself. How exactly is he at least as exciting to the division as Gus?

The reason it's not happening now is because the UFC's business is going down the crapper so they need to stretch out as many storylines as they can.

SteveWD40

Because when Jimmo wasn't making it boring Jimmy looked sharp, fast and dangerous, he also nearly took Ryans leg off with those knee's from the clinch.

industrian

Manuwa should fight the winner of Bader/Perosh or drop to MW.

Gus will just jab him to a 30-27 and derail a hype train.

muddream

Banned
Because when Jimmo wasn't making it boring Jimmy looked sharp, fast and dangerous, he also nearly took Ryans leg off with those knee's from the clinch.

Here's a thought: If he can't keep someone like Jimmo from doing the Tim Sylvia, he's probably not that good (yet).

SteveWD40

Here's a thought: If he can't keep someone like Jimmo from doing the Tim Sylvia, he's probably not that good (yet).

Well, he was keeping him from it mostly, by turning him and kneeing the shit out his nerves in the thigh.

I get it though, Manuwa is not even top 10 yet by far, Gus will beat him for sure (assuming Gus doesn't suddenly drop with an injury via juju magik) but Jimmy is a prospect, little Nog isn't.

Dave Doyle said:
CompuStrike’s official numbers bear out the fight's razor-thin margin: Alvarez landed 115 strikes to Chandler’s 111. Both fighters attempted two submissions. Chandler had 10 takedowns to Alvarez’s zero, but Alvarez also stuffed 11 more takedown attempts.

All three judges scored the first round for Chandler, who controlled it with his wrestling. All three had round two for Alvarez, who wobbled Chandler late. Two of three had round three for a hard-charging Alvarez. All three had round four for Chandler, who nearly finished the fight with a ruthless ground-and-pound attack. And all three scored a back-and-forth final round for Alvarez, who came in strong over the final 90 seconds.

Not sure how they could give Round 2 to Alvarez. I felt like Chandler won it, despite the late press.

And the numbers favor Chandler, though obviously it doesn't take into account significant strikes.

Top Bottom