• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

UFC knows they can gouge the market here. The cards have been getting less stacked as well, first AU event had a lot of names: Cro-Cop, Wand, Bisping, Cain, Big Nog.

Yep. Holding a UFC card on the Gold Coast or Brisbane is like attracting bogan moths to a flame, so it's gonna sell out regardless, even if it's just a Fight Night.

It's a shame the archaic cagefighting laws still exist here in Melbourne.

AXS TV (HDNet) is a channel that airs regional Bad MMA cards.

http://www.axs.tv/programs/fights/

I see now, thanks!

Thank you friend. I will take it into consideration

Keep us (or the martial arts thread) updated if you choose to continue. I'd love to hear your perspective on how you personally transition into it.

TheChits

This UFC doc on fs1 right now has been really good. They even had John McCain speaking about the subject

Does anyone have any outstanding thoughts or analysis on Michael McDonald?

Just noticed Faber is up against him on Dec 9th.

A scrapper(he is actually very skilled, especially for being so young) who is tough as nails and has a lot of power in his hands. Exceptional fighter and definitely one of the more consistently exciting fighters in the ufc

Heel

So06sCa.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Hnngnh grr ugh.. im clapping my feet together.. No place like home haaa.. chee..why am i making pregnant woman sounds? Am i..no .nooo..focus. sooo um. jacob 'swords n' shields called out rory 'boring and not really that interesting' mcdonald. Dont hurt em jake!!

SteveWD40

Manuwa is now offically facing Gus in London.

Either Gus jabs it to a 30-27 or Jimmy goes all Shadowman and Gus tears his ACL in round 2.

I keep hearing about this Manuwa guy and I have no idea who he is. How can some debuting fighter have a fight against the Mauler? Then I wiki'd him and see he's had three fights in the Ultimate, all on Fuel/FS2. Which I *still* don't get.

Thanks, Comcast.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Manuwa is now offically facing Gus in London.

Either Gus jabs it to a 30-27 or Jimmy goes all Shadowman and Gus tears his ACL in round 2.

Gus wins by ground and pound or a 30-26 jabfest.

Or he loses when black oil starts running down his face and he runs out the octagon screaming.

industrian

Could go either way.

Well if Jimi loses it's not the end of the world, just as it wasn't the end of the world when Gus was subbed by Davis.

If Jimi wins though, that'll be upset of the year. If it was decisive enough a victory he could possibly get a title shot as well. Then we'd see him becoming a champion because of both of Jones' big toes falling off in the second round.

SteveWD40

Well if Jimi loses it's not the end of the world, just as it wasn't the end of the world when Gus was subbed by Davis.

If Jimi wins though, that'll be upset of the year. If it was decisive enough a victory he could possibly get a title shot as well. Then we'd see him becoming a champion because of both of Jones' big toes falling off in the second round.

Problem for the UFC is, if Jimi wins, he may never be able to fight in the US:

Manuwa led a troubled existence in his earlier years, as his youth was spent being expelled from school, getting into vicious fights so many times he was barred from Croydon nightclubs and being imprisoned for his role in a burglary ring.

Jimi was imprisoned in 2002 for conspiracy to burgle and released in 2003.

industrian

Problem for the UFC is, if Jimi wins, he may never be able to fight in the US:

I'd like to think that correct procedures money could be followed to allow this reformed man to seek a legal fortune in the land of opportunity, but the fact that all of his fights have taken place in England is either a damning indication of his visa limbo or simply a reflection on his current status in the LHW rankings.

i missed Vio-Lence's post, was checking Boogie's post history to see if he called the 167 OT like TheKaeptain said, he didn't so i pulled the trigger.

i'll stay clear from the next one.

SteveWD40

I'd like to think that correct procedures money could be followed to allow this reformed man to seek a legal fortune in the land of opportunity, but the fact that all of his fights have taken place in England is either a damning indication of his visa limbo or simply a reflection on his current status in the LHW rankings.

Probably both. This fight will decide if Dana needs to moneyhat his way into the Visa good books or not.

Funnily enough Lorenzo echoed Gary Cooks statements in Fighters Only this month that they are looking at putting on shows in Europe with homegrown fighters that will probably only fight over here (unless they are shit hot), so perhaps that's why they signed him in the first place.

If you guys find the documentary by any chance do not hesitate to PM me or post the link with it here. Really looking forward to see it!

That documentary was actually awesome. Its mostly stuff that we already know, but I love seeing the old SEG footage. Also I never realized how early Zuffa events had big theatrics for entrances. Entrances are just so dry and stale by comparison right now. Now its pretty much all sport with little entertainment.

Kimo's cross entrance would never fly these days lol. Reminded me of ECW

MjFrancis

i missed Vio-Lence's post, was checking Boogie's post history to see if he called the 167 OT like TheKaeptain said, he didn't so i pulled the trigger.

i'll stay clear from the next one.
Lambda, you are punctual and managed to use multiple Bad-MMA cards to promote the 20th Anniversary event. You even got Vio-Bod's seal of approval, probably because of how well you presented his favorite MMA fighter of all time. I'd say that deserves a pat on the back.

Heel

White: The UFC is not mainstream

To White, mainstream means you can walk down the street in any city of every country in the world and everyone there will know exactly what your brand is. The UFC has not achieved that yet – and it’s arguable the organization isn’t close.

“It takes a long time,” White said Tuesday during a conference call to promote UFC Fight For The Troops on Wednesday and UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson on Saturday. “We’ve only been here for 13 years [as owners] and we really didn’t even start kicking until 2005, 2006.”

White told a story about sitting with his kids in seats on the 50-yard line at Gillette Stadium over the weekend to watch his New England Patriots play the Pittsburgh Steelers. He got to talking to one of the fans sitting right behind him and the fan--a 30-something man right smack in the middle of the UFC’s target demographic--had no idea what the Ultimate Fighting Championship was.

“He didn’t even know (Patriots defensive end) Chandler Jones’ brother was the champ of the UFC,” White said, referring to light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones. “He was asking me if it was regional.”

“For us to claim that we’re mainstream, we’re just not,” White said.

S0k4R5D.png

ShaneB

edit: wrong thread!

Taffer made a cougar bar. I like it.

Also, I assume if we ever have a mma-gaf meet up in Las Vegas, we'll do a pub crawl of all the bars Taffer has rescued there.

Top Bottom