• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Go get some Donald Sawronay

Edit: Oooh Orlando. I could make a weekend out of it if I can gather a warband to join me.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
For some reason they seem to feel Cain is their in-road to success in the Mexican market and we all know he's as authentically Mexican as Taco Bell. They could easily find someone more charismatic that represents the country. I don't get this desperate push to make him a star.
At this point Werdum is their Mexican and Brazillian champion, he even speaks more fluently than Cain.

MMA and Social Media have each reached their peak:
k7AlGgN.png

Heel

This Anderson Silver NSAC hearing is getting real good.

Brett Okamoto ‏@bokamotoESPN
Anderson's defense brought expert witness who lacks a phD and has no documentation regarding the contaminated substances he'll testify on.

MMAFighting.com ‏@MMAFighting
Silva’s defense has no written reports on how his allegedly contaminated supplements were tested.

This Anderson Silver NSAC hearing is getting real good.

Brett Okamoto ‏@bokamotoESPN
Anderson's defense brought expert witness who lacks a phD and has no documentation regarding the contaminated substances he'll testify on.

MMAFighting.com ‏@MMAFighting
Silva’s defense has no written reports on how his allegedly contaminated supplements were tested.

Getting even better: his translator was such shit his fucking manager ran in to do the job himself

Getting even better: his translator was such shit his fucking manager ran in to do the job himself

the interpreter's questions and interpretation were fine. anderson changed his answers after that short recess when anderson's lawyer likely flipped out. also, it's not his interpreter; it's the NSAC's.

now they're cross checking everything ed soares said through their interpreter.

edit: and he's changing his answers again.

e2: apparently, she's not NSAC's either.

Heel

Someone's phone rang at the NSAC meeting as Anderson recollected talking about "man stuff" with his teammates, which led to him purchasing dick pills.

The ringtone? R Kelly's Bump N' Grind.

Sean

Banned
Just tuned in and heard Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" playing over the speakerphone, everyone in the room trying their best not to laugh. Lol this is awesome

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wonder why he didn't just admit it. "Leg hurt. I take pills to get leg better."

He'd probably get 6 months and he'd get time served. Maybe he has some contractual issue regarding PPV points dealing with roiding.

MjFrancis

Well Cains 20 month layoff probably doesnt have anything to do with his performance against Werdum, right?
I said as much at the time and I'll figure you did too and still none of us predicted that it would be a squash match. Vegas knew it was a factor and Cain was still a heavy favorite. I thought it would be a hard-fought victory for Werdum, and I had friends who thought I was crazy for thinking he even stood a chance against this legendary Mexican folk hero. Too many have bought into the myth of Cain Velasquez and not the man, who may be one of the best in the heavyweight division right now, but has still only fought three men in what will be five years after this rematch. Even if he beats Werdum this time his legacy as HW GOAT will be far from reality.

MjFrancis

FOX Sports: UFC ‏@UFCONFOX 12s13 seconds ago Ohio, USA

BREAKING: Rafael dos Anjos vs. 'Cowboy' Cerrone headlines FOX UFC Fight Night in Orlando http://foxs.pt/1gE8Yze #UFC

Awesome
Cowboy has improved since he last fought dos Anjos.

Unfortunately for Cowboy so has dos Anjos. Rafael via TKO. As a huge fan of Cowboy, sorry bud, you're the underdog here, as much as I hope that I am wrong.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So who is actually going to fight Rockhold?

They must have no confidence in Wildman's drawing power. Co-main to LHW title @187 and now co-main @194.

as much as I was a Cain supporter, he does not deserve a title shot after that dogshit pitiful performance in Mexico City. Same thing with Gus. Same thing with Cormier. But the UFC seemingly doesn't have any other choice. These fucks put on 10 shows a fucking month and can't develop any credible young stars at two of the most important weight classes who can draw flies to shit.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Stipe Miocic vs. Ben Rothwell at the UFC show in Dublin.

If the fight stays standing I see Rothwell potentially beast moding it. But Stipe should be technical enough to send Rothwell to the end of the HW queue.

Either way now we've got Arlovski/Mir and Miocic/Rothwell as potential No. 1 contender fights. Not to mention if JDS/Reem ever goes ahead. The HW division is certainly something.

It certainly is something alright.

I'm kind of hoping Cain loses his rematch so D.C. Can get the hair in the butt to become a two-division champion.

HW had decent depth when Barnett and D.C. were there in the mix.

Feel like LHW and HW have taken th biggest dips in depth the last few years (Hendo and Machida moving to MW, Jones being suspended and D.C. moving to LHW.

Stipe Miocic vs. Ben Rothwell at the UFC show in Dublin.

If the fight stays standing I see Rothwell potentially beast moding it. But Stipe should be technical enough to send Rothwell to the end of the HW queue.

Either way now we've got Arlovski/Mir and Miocic/Rothwell as potential No. 1 contender fights. Not to mention if JDS/Reem ever goes ahead. The HW division is certainly something.

Mir/Arlovski and Ben/Stipe are gonna be fight of the nights.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I like to think that given a bit of time weight classes usually sort themselves out. A few years ago, the only game in town at 170 was GSP, Penn and Fitch. Now the entire landscape has totally changed. 185 as well has went through a hell of a lot of changes since the Strikeforce merger.

LHW was exposed by Jones. He cleaned up, nothing can touch him, and if he ever decides to come back then he's potentially got another five years of domination waiting for him. I don't think you'll ever see anyone like Jones in the UFC ever again - not unless you get another bunch of freak athletes that need quick money to pay for unplanned parenthood.

HW on the hand is just a wasteland. I could actually envision it being dropped in the next 5 years when everyone from the PRIDE era retires. I wonder if the UFC would consider changing HW to 230lb and LHW + MW to 190lb in order to keep both HW and LHW interesting.

MjFrancis

Funny you mention those sort of weight class changes when Joe Rogan was mentioning the benefits of adding a 195lbs division on top of what you have now in his Bell Brothers podcast.

If the talent pool was deep enough I could see that but otherwise a lot of us have expressed interest in changing things up at that level for a while. Heavyweight covers a lot of ground with a lot of untapped space, but the talent is barely there now as it is. The future you see seems likely, it's all going to dry up. I was able to dig this up from some of what we were saying in 2013:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54908088&postcount=11342

Lightweight (150lbs)
Welterweight (170lbs)
Middleweight (190lbs)
Light Heavyweight (215lbs)
Heavyweight (265lbs) (235lbs)

That was an era where guys like The Reem could juice up like it was going out of style and he had to cut down to 265lbs to make weight, but nowadays that seems pretty silly to start a weight class there. I'd change Heavyweight to 235lbs and maybe drop LHW to 210lbs, but that's about it. You'd have guys like Conor and Aldo at 150lbs, some LW's could drop down but other cats would kind of be forced out or forced to bulk up. I don't see where Cerrone fits in this weight class scheme, for example. He would have to cut a lot to make 150lbs and he'd need a lot more mass to stay competitive at 170lbs. There would be some sacrifices for a new streamlined weight class order.

The fighters would also get paid well in this theoretical scheme, but that's another story altogether.

Heel

Requiring heavyweights to be 235 lbs. does an already abysmal division no favors.

Honestly, I wouldn't make any changes. There's an ebb an flow to every division over the years. It wasn't long ago that a ton of people were shitting on anything below 155. Now it's home to the two biggest draws in the business.

The problem for the HW division is that for American athletes with that kind of size there are going to always be better career options. It's why you end up with so many guys taking up mma in their late 20s after the NFL chews them up and spits them out.

Top Bottom