• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Heel

Nobuyuki Sakakibara discusses Rizin FF plans for 2016, Fedor Emelianenko’s opponent, drug testing and more

Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock and other legends of the sport could also return to action in the future, according to the Japanese promoter.

"We think about doing a master class soon," Sakakibara said. "It would be a category over 45 years, to give a chance to those who want to fight. You see Dan Henderson fighting in a high level at 45. I met Royce Gracie in the United States and he said he’s ready to fight. Ken Shamrock is also interested. We can do Wallid (Ismail) against Royce Gracie, for an example."

Jungle Fight president Wallid Ismail, who tapped Gracie in a jiu-jitsu match in 1998 and hasn’t fought in mixed martial arts in 13 years, quickly responded to the idea. "Write the check," he said with a laugh.

Rizin FF was created to put on fights that fans want to see, Sakakibara explains, and that’s why they won’t worry about weight divisions that much. Shinya Aoki vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, booked for Dec. 29 in Japan, is one example.

"My personal opinion is that athletes today don’t fight because of a few kilos," he said. "Because of two or three kilos, we can’t book a fight that could be very interesting. For Japanese, who have judo and sumo, athletes that are used to weight and absolute, it’s kind of weird for a fighter to worry about two or three kilos.

"We want to change this mentality. Fans are missing many great fights, like (Cris) Cyborg and Ronda (Rousey), because of a little difference in weight. We can say examples here like Fedor and Hong Man Choi, ‘Minotauro’ and (Bob) Sapp, that the smaller guy doesn't always lose.

NOBUYUKI SAKAKIBARA ‏@nobu_sakakibara Oct 22
Officially announced his entry! Former Ozeki Sumo wrestler Baruto. What should his ring name be? #rizinff #mmajp

CR6xGttUsAEJpCW.jpg:large

The circus is back, baby.

M5manMS.gif

Eanan

Conor doing a jon jones on facebook currently. Must be on the whisky tonight. Needs to roll out the "hacked" excuse tomorrow morning.

Dazzler

Conor doing a jon jones on facebook currently. Must be on the whisky tonight. Needs to roll out the "hacked" excuse tomorrow morning.

actually thought his rant was pretty spot on

The annual poppy fascism that takes place in the UK and Ireland is pretty nauseating

If he wants to wear a poppy for whatever reason, it's his business

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It's nice seeing the world "learn" about Ireland due to a superstar fighter being from Ireland.

By "learn" I mean that normally I spend at least 30 mins explaining the Irish "situation" to people in Korea/Taiwan/wherever so that they know how to adequately talk about Ireland in Ireland without walking into a potential glassing.

Chesskid1

Banned
only reason cormier says jones is the goat when asked who is the goat is because he wants to feel better about himself for the loss to him

industrian

Ferguson vs. Barboza should be a great fight. Ferguson should win it, and then he should be in the mix for a title shot.

Khabib should be given a tune-up fight against someone ranked 10-15 when he comes back. He's got almost two years of ring rust to shake off.

MjFrancis

Khabib was as close to a championship lock as anybody ever could be. And now he's lamenting that he may never be back? Bummer.

Could have been Cerrone's toughest fight to date, I hope that is still able to happen in the coming years.

Ferguson vs. Barboza should be a great fight. Ferguson should win it, and then he should be in the mix for a title shot.

Khabib should be given a tune-up fight against someone ranked 10-15 when he comes back. He's got almost two years of ring rust to shake off.
Hopefully Ferguson pulls guard and submits Barboza.

-MD-

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani
Matt Brown is out of the 11/21 Gastelum fight due to injury. 1st reported by @DamonMartin. Confirmed by @ufc. Looking for a replacement.

=/

Magny facing Kelvin ... Interesting match . Probably not very exciting . Kelvin will just grind him to death but that's why I'm kinda glad Brown doesn't have to face this dude.

Brehs am I losing interest in the sport or has UFC, Bellator, and WSoF all been pretty boring these past three months or so? The only big exception I can think of is the Gus/DC fight.

Yaari

Brehs am I losing interest in the sport or has UFC, Bellator, and WSoF all been pretty boring these past three months or so? The only big exception I can think of is the Gus/DC fight.

It was pretty bland yeah. Should be better the next 5 weeks though. Many events.

Yeah its been fairly dismal of late. haven't watched a numbered event in a few months. TUF has been enjoyable tho just because of McNuggets antics

It doesn't help that you've been relegated to fighting Ed Herman, who most people forgot existed.

The UFC in Ireland was really good. I'm looking forward to just about all of the main events in the next couple months, provided they happen of course. Hendo/Victor can't be bad. And by not bad I mean it will be so bad it will be great.

Yaari

Drama in Bellator where Will Brooks has a bloodied up shirt and claims he was attacked by the Pitbull Brothers, and the latter mention that it was Will Brooks who started it.

Will Brooks has some tweets that don't help his case. Lol.

-MD-

Drama in Bellator where Will Brooks has a bloodied up shirt and claims he was attacked by the Pitbull Brothers, and the latter mention that it was Will Brooks who started it.

Will Brooks has some tweets that don't help his case. Lol.

Well he says he has footage of it and will be releasing it so let's wait and see.

mcGregor doesn't want to fight for long, Rousey will be out the door soon, a bunch of fighters that aren't that popular are finding actual work to support themselves because they are making peanuts in the UFC and could retire from MMA.

UFC is gonna sink

Dysun

not you, the sport has been dead outside of that 1 fight

save us conor

industrian

If you asked me who headlined the last five events I'd be struggling. You had that Irish event, Barnett vs. Nelson, Gus vs. DC, and ... I don't know.

It's all been downhill since UFC 189. The fact that every week we'd have a UFC event then have only 2-3 since the end of August is the main issue. November-December will have regular events (3 in 3 days at one point) and should hook us back in again. Especially once we hear that Aldo and Weidman are injured.

BadAss2961

With things so quiet, I wonder why UFC is taking so long to hype Rousey/Holm. There's that one brilliant promo video and like nothing else. Fight is next week.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Bader vs Rumble is a go for Jan. 30th UFC on Fox. I hope Rumble knocks him out in the 1st round so we don't have to see a Jones vs Bader title fight next year...

Bader vs Rumble is a go for Jan. 30th UFC on Fox. I hope Rumble knocks him out in the 1st round so we don't have to see a Jones vs Bader title fight next year...

Guys, if Bader beats Johnson, can we all agree to begin to maybe possibly sort of in a way take him slightly more kind of seriously?

Top Bottom