• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Coker era

“I think this is just the tip of the iceberg,” said Scott Coker to MMAFighting.com after the announcement was made. “Fighters are fighting out their contracts. They want to negotiate. They really want to see what their value is. We’re going to help them to define what their value is. It’s always good for the industry to have more than one bidder.”

Coker, in an e-mail to the Observer, noted “More to come

Rebook era

He also noted that a big part of the deal was the Reebok deal, which cut down greatly on his sponsorship income in UFC. As a name fighter on television who can be sponsored, his potential income is significant in Bellator.

“For a lot of other fighters, (the Reebok deal) was not the best look for us. For me, I’ll say it definitely affected my decision in the grand scheme of things.”

Heel

Coker era

DGIreLy.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I could envision the Reebok deal potentially killing the sport. Casuals aren't interested in anything other than the three letters "UFC", and if Bellator/ONE/WSOF are capable of poaching talent from the UFC just by saying "Dudewipes have a cheque with your name on it" then you're going to quickly see an abyss of TUF rejects fighting against the top names in the UFC (as in, the only guys who get paid).

That said. What are the odds of the UFC dropping in value so quickly (with the Reebok deal and haemorrhaging talent) that Viacom end up buying Zuffa and merging Bellator into the UFC? Imagine Scott Coker as UFC leader and the Reebok deal annulled. It'd be beautiful.

Heel

That said. What are the odds of the UFC dropping in value so quickly (with the Reebok deal and haemorrhaging talent) that Viacom end up buying Zuffa and merging Bellator into the UFC? Imagine Scott Coker as UFC leader and the Reebok deal annulled. It'd be beautiful.

Fantasy booking I can get behind, but I think it's much more likely UFC keeps passing along anti-draws like Bendo to the highest bidder until they all fold like a house of cards. Here's hoping these free agent splashes actually pay off, but I have a distinct feeling that UFC knows a lot more about what these guys are actually worth than their competition does.

brentech

Fantasy booking I can get behind, but I think it's much more likely UFC keeps passing along anti-draws like Bendo to the highest bidder until they all fold like a house of cards. Here's hoping these free agent splashes actually pay off, but I have a distinct feeling that UFC knows a lot more about what these guys are really worth than their competition.

Couldn't agree more.

industrian

Fantasy booking I can get behind, but I think it's much more likely UFC keeps passing along anti-draws like Bendo to the highest bidder until they all fold like a house of cards.

I agree with that as well. The odds are that Coker bankrupts Bellator and Viacom cut their losses when Zuffa offer them a good-enough deal.

Here's hoping these free agent splashes actually pay off, but I have a distinct feeling that UFC knows a lot more about what these guys are actually worth than their competition does.

I remember everyone saying that the UFC made a mistake when they cut Fitch and Okami. And look how well they turned out in the lower leagues.

Heel

I remember everyone saying that the UFC made a mistake when they cut Fitch and Okami. And look how well they turned out in the lower leagues.

Remember Dana trying to justify cutting two snoozers to sports purists and angry journalists?

We have over 100 fighters we need to cut!

I wish we could compare the roster count now lol

Weckum

There's another risk of Bellator getting too big. There's a risk MMA will become like boxing with several championships.

Just kick Dana out and make based Coker had of UFC please. I want my Butterbean vs Might Mouse fight.

YaGaMi

Even though Dana cocks up now again he's not short term like Coker. Dudes gonna bailout like he did with Strikeforce.

So can someone explain to me why B-samples aren't tested right after someone's first sample comes back positive. Just reading about Romero and yeah the dude probably juices but this is the first test ever that came back dirty and they are gonna just put it all out there without testing another sample?

iddqd

They did fuck up Crocops test though didn't they? It is possible they messed up his too.

Sure, its just weird when everyone claims innocence (when caught) while also insisting that 90% of "the other guys" are on something.

The day Fitch got caught is the day all hope died!

EDIT:
The Cro Cop thing is actually extra dumb:

- He admitted of using HgH (thinking his test will show it)
- It never showed up in his test (??)
- Is still banned (and retired) because he admitted it
http://www.mmaweekly.com/cro-cop-reportedly-never-failed-ufc-drug-test-but-remains-suspended

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It means the test can detect usage up to 21 days ago, not hours as it is now.

Swollereem will return in Japan.

Heel

In other USADA news, this showed up on my timeline via Luke Thomas:

1MMA News & Rumours @1MMANEWS

Hearing that Yoel Romero may be off the hook for drug test failure. B Sample believed to come back negative. More to follow.

No forget Jesus, people.

industrian

Hopefully Romero can get a title shot now instead of Whiteman.

And hopefully he brings that mafia-looking translator dude with him.

I love Romero, he's the greatest heel in MMA.

Chesskid1

Banned
is it even possible to say one of the reasons you lost x fight is because of nursing an injury/sickness without it sounding like an excuse. its fine to say it if they won though. #sage

how are these false positives even happening? dudes reputations are getting tarnished and they're losing sponsorship and fight money being sidelined until they're cleared. should they be testing sample B automatically before going public?

Heel

My instinct is Chris Leben in 2016 is an infinitely more valuable commodity per dollar than Bendo Christ Superstar. Hell, maybe period.

The WCW strategy continues...

Kelsdesu

Have yall seen ya boy Johny Hendricks lately? Yall think he on that street pharmacy? He looks better than he did under Dolce.

dream

Do not fall for the bitter, uninformed, Internet wrestling fan rhetoric about Punk.This guy is rich and has enjoyed the privilege of doing nothing but train for ultimate fighting over the past 18 months. What he lacks in natural athleticism, he will more than make up for in technique. I think he is going to do very, very well in human cockfighting.

Top Bottom