• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This is an amazing read. And UFC thinks Bellator is a carny show.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/3...oes-through-mike-jackson-who-thinks-the-whole
When Jackson first got a call from Legacy matchmaker Collin Cantrell recently, he was really confused. Cantrell was talking about Gall and Legacy and a fight in early February. Jackson wasn't really sure where he fit in.

"In my head I'm thinking, 'Y'all gonna fly me to Minnesota to come take pictures of Mickey Gall?'" Jackson said.

No, Cantrell explained to Jackson. We want you to fight Gall, the matchmaker told him.

"I was like, 'Fight who?'" Jackson said. "He's like, 'If you fight Mickey Gall, you get CM Punk.' That's how they're hyping this up to me. I was like, 'This makes no sense. What are you talking about?'"

"To me, this is a big troll," Jackson said. "This is a massive troll by everyone involved here."

"You have CM Punk, who has no MMA experience, fighting. You got this kid Mickey Gall, who literally wins one fight -- he's fighting in some small town in Jersey that Dana White happened to be at and was like, 'I want to fight CM Punk.' And he gets signed by the UFC. And then you got me. All my experience is in boxing and kickboxing. Now I'm in the UFC. It's like, 'What the f*ck is going on here?'"

"Literally a week after I got back in the gym, they were like, 'Hey, do you want to fight in the UFC?'" Jackson said. "I was like, 'What the f*ck?'"

Oh my GOD, Burkman...just retire already.

This guy is 35 and can't finish the first round without breathing heavy, and his fights are either three rounds of sloppy haymakers or three rounds of sloppy dancing.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
UFC 197:

Jones vs. Cormier 2
DJ vs. Cejudo

I imagine the headlining fight will fall apart and DJ will headline the card. Is normal.

industrian

That was a demolition job. Thank you Wonderboy for preventing Hendricks from shitting up more title fights with wall and stall.

Who's next for the WW title shot? Woodley or Wonderboy?

-MD-

Is Conor still trying to entertain the idea of him at 170? Wonderboy vs McGregor would be absolutely hilarious.

Woodley needs to get off his ass and fight someone else too, Wonderboy deserves the shot more than him.

industrian

Does anybody actually want to see Woodley fight for the strap? I sure as hell don't.

Woodley is a good fighter. But he mentally breaks easily. Lawler would finish him by the third round.

Looks like Dana had his real Sage Northcutt all along

Wonderboy got equally derailed early in his UFC career but managed to bounce back. He was hyped up with his long unbeaten streak in kickboxing and amateur stuff and that went away in his loss to Matt Brown. Sage will equally bounce back given enough time and by crushing enough cans.

Pettis vs Diaz possibly in April.

Great fight, for two reasons:

1) Diaz is flat-footed enough to make Pettis look good.
2) Diaz gets back into the mix if he wins.

brentech

Just watched this morning.
Thompson and Scoggins really impressive with their striking. Both really on point with the accuracy.

broz0rs

Really surprised Hendricks didn't go for a takedown. Thompson looked legit.

I think he wanted to, but Wonderboy was really good at keeping a 4-5 foot distance in between them and was outstanding at fighting going backwards. Hendricks said in the post-fight interview that he really want to catch him by the fence, but Wonderboy just kept evading. I think Thompson is going to give Lawler some huge problems with his reach. Dude seems like Machida, but with much better weapons.

Thompson was able to set that really wide stance which helped him keep that distance and added leverage to those roundhouse kicks. Much more dangerous to stand that wide against a guy who can kick better than Hendricks.

CM Junk Vs Mickey Gall it is?

CaksatrUcAAxxp6.jpg

oh boy OH BOY!! Can not wait to see the opening line.

Mickey is 2-0 in the pro cicruit and just dismantled a can in 45 seconds in his UFC debut. Its the perfect opportunity for Mickey to make a name for himself.

Fox318

Hypothetically...

Lets say that Punk dominates with some heavy strikes then submits Gall. Looks like a beast.

Who would he even fight next?

A 38 year old with a small record...

Can they trade Punk to Bellator and have him fight Kimbo? Punk can just eat some cheeseburgers and gain some weight.

VoxPop

Jon Jones busted for driving without a license, proof of registration, and insurance. What a dumbass

I never understood this with celebrities. Can't pay for a damn cab?

His attorney/agent(?) is saying it was just a speeding ticket and he is fully licensed and insured. Still was on probation though.

Hypothetically...

Lets say that Punk dominates with some heavy strikes then submits Gall. Looks like a beast.

Who would he even fight next?

A 38 year old with a small record...

Can they trade Punk to Bellator and have him fight Kimbo? Punk can just eat some cheeseburgers and gain some weight.

Allow me to preface my statement by saying, I understand UFC is a fight 'promotion' and not a temple to the sanctity of fairness and finding out who the true ultimate fighter in the world is. But looking at this situation with CM Punk makes me wonder what runs through Roy Nelson's mind. He was the IFC champ and UFC wouldn't just flat sign him to the roster. They made him go through the whole TUF thing first and prove himself to be worthy. Meanwhile Dana White is traveling the country to cherry pick someone that's decent enough to talk up but bad enough to lose to Punk. I get CM Punk is a draw (although - is he? I don't watch wrestling - is he really someone people care about?) but this is kind of a crazy situation. And you make a great point - what DO they do with him win, lose, or draw? Do they let him be a gatekeeper for super green fighters? Do they keep putting him against guys who fight on trash bag covered rings in Iowa? And even with a name - how do you promote fights like that after the first two or so? Who would care anymore?

broz0rs

I just think the CM Punk signing is also about the UFC protecting their brand and making sure the other promotions don't get to sign him. Case in point is Kimbo Slice. Everybody knows by now he can't hang with top fighters, but he draws an audience and the promotion can sustain itself from these circus type fights while building their brand from it. I just think at this point the UFC signed Phil Brooks instead of CM Punk, which was unlike what the UFC experienced with Brock Lesnar.

Allow me to preface my statement by saying, I understand UFC is a fight 'promotion' and not a temple to the sanctity of fairness and finding out who the true ultimate fighter in the world is. But looking at this situation with CM Punk makes me wonder what runs through Roy Nelson's mind. He was the IFC champ and UFC wouldn't just flat sign him to the roster. They made him go through the whole TUF thing first and prove himself to be worthy.
I never understood why Dana didn't like Roy's image. I get he wanted UFC to be mainstream and wanted clean cut athletes but you can appeal to different kinds of audiences.

That said I fully support this transparent sham. Either Punk beats this young, athletic up and comer who absolutely destroyed a kickboxing expert in his first UFC fight, or this kid beats Punk and is the next Sage Northcutt.

I'd rather have this than giving high level stars total cans like Pride used to.

FUME5

Jon Jones busted for driving without a license, proof of registration, and insurance. What a dumbass

I was going to post about him fighting DC in April, but there was too much time before then for him to do something fucking retarded.

industrian

Looks like Ben Rothwell is going to retire Junior dos Santos on the 10 April.

And the CM Punk fight will likely be a one-and-done deal. There's no roadmap for him to achieve anything in the sport at his age, and it comes across as him wanting to prove himself capable of being an MMA fighter more than anything else. Either way he'll get good ratings and a decent paycheck.

Should be Stipe vs Werdum and Cain vs Arlvoski/Reem

JDS just got his ass beat by the guy Rothwell put to sleep .

Getting jobbed . Guess he doesn't mind since he took the fight

ApharmdX

Banned
Looks like Ben Rothwell is going to retire Junior dos Santos on the 10 April.

Dos Santos could win that fight. It's heavyweights, so anything can happen, and JDS has much more polished boxing than Rothwell. This matchup doesn't really make much sense IMO. It's a dangerous fight with little reward.

-MD-

Dos Santos could win that fight. It's heavyweights, so anything can happen, and JDS has much more polished boxing than Rothwell. This matchup doesn't really make much sense IMO. It's a dangerous fight with little reward.

It means a title shot for Rothwell, how could they deny him at that point?

Fox318

I never understood why Dana didn't like Roy's image. I get he wanted UFC to be mainstream and wanted clean cut athletes but you can appeal to different kinds of audiences.

That said I fully support this transparent sham. Either Punk beats this young, athletic up and comer who absolutely destroyed a kickboxing expert in his first UFC fight, or this kid beats Punk and is the next Sage Northcutt.

I'd rather have this than giving high level stars total cans like Pride used to.

Punk fight is gonna be like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6j7gVkPA0M

Guru-Guru

Banned
too small for 135 too big for 115

probably waiting to see if the 125 division actually happens.
I doubt she'll fight in the UFC again. Before she fought in the UFC against Tate, she was regularly fighting in rigged matches where she was guaranteed to win. She had a small, but loyal (and creepy) fanbase over here too. She'd make more money fighting nobodies in Japan then fighting women in the UFC who have a serious size/reach advantage.

Top Bottom