• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

BadAss2961

I rewatched the first fight tonight and there was a lot of stalling and not a lot of damage. That said, I think this move by DC is more to put Herb Dean on blast and maybe force him to be more proactive about calling stalls in this fight. Who knows if it will work in DC's favor but it's probably smart.

The LHW division is in an odd state. Unless Jones has made vast progress in his sub game, it's likely that JJ/DC 2 goes his way in another dull decision. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but the next fight has got to be Johnson/Jones. Nothing else makes sense. And Cormier, if he loses, needs to consider retirement. He's done as much in MMA as he could have. DC is a great fight but if he can't beat Jones this time he's not going to beat him, period.
Retire? Nah. He's still at his best.

If Cormier loses, he should just move back up to heavyweight where he's stronger anyway. He can beat anyone in that division.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Tough to be a journalist while working for the man.
I hope this gives us Ariel 3.0 with a bit more integrity.

You lose credentials if you criticize the UFC too much so he's still well under the thumb of the man. But he's doing it his way, and he knows his worth. Good for him.

Heel

ApharmdX

Banned
Retire? Nah. He's still at his best.

If Cormier loses, he should just move back up to heavyweight where he's stronger anyway. He can beat anyone in that division.

He's old for a combat sports athlete. Yes, he hasn't taken much punishment, but physically he's past his prime.

You might be on to something about the move back up to HW. Werdum is a beatable champ. Cormier could win that fight with the right gameplan.

Fox318

Honestly asking since besides an article here or there I don't follow BE or MMAF much, have they done any truly, hard hitting exposés?

I feel like most of the dirty parts of the sport was known but just didn't get mainstream attention.

• Commissions are shit, they spend more time trying to enforce their authority then trying to protect the sport and fighters
  • Everyone was on steroids and god knows what before usada
  • a man died in a bellator fight aginst a guy on roids
  • 50 year olds are headlining shows in the US
  • MMA ruleset for strike violation is broken (why can't somebody 12-6 strike a quad on the ground), guys touching their fingers on the ground counts as grounded
  • Reebok deal is the worst sponsorship deal in the history of sports, and I'm somebody who thought that a uniform look is a good thing
  • Jon Jones is a junkie roaming from one town to another searching for his next high
  • Low card guys are underpaid

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'd like for DC to go back to HW as well. Especially since - all things considered - you'd really bet money on Cain being considered an afterthought in the title picture.

I'd love for Cain to prove me wrong here, but I give him another year to prove that he's still in the sport. Between constant injuries and the fact I doubt the UFC will trust him to headline another card for a while, he's essentially lived up to his potential as much as Frank Mir or Vitor Belfort have.

To give you an idea of things, if he manages to fight Travis Browne at UFC 200, that will be his second fight in three years.When Dominick Cruz is more active than you, then you know you've fucked up.

Honestly asking since besides an article here or there I don't follow BE or MMAF much, have they done any truly, hard hitting exposés?

MMA media makes gaming media look high class. There's always a few that will go against the narrative, but they know when to hold back and tow the company line. No-one's going to risk getting cut off. Certain guys (like Ariel, Meltzer, etc) can push their luck a bit more, but Dana has spoken out about them on numerous occasions.

scabro

https://www.tmz.com/2016/03/29/jon-jones-arrested-for-probation-violation-mug-shot/#ixzz44JYQLqqr
032916-john-jones-mugshot-1.jpg

"here we go"-goldie

Heel

I've been reading Kevin Iole before he covered mma, and it's so sad he's become such a pathetic shill for the ufc.

I used to applaud him for taking a stand against Dana on PED procedures in media scrums, but this latest piece looks like it was workshopped over 9 holes of golf with the UFC PR team. Really don't think it's a coincidence they got ahead of the news and had Jon break it himself.

scabro

I used to applaud him for taking a stand against Dana on PED procedures in media scrums, but this latest piece looks like it was workshopped over 9 holes of golf with the UFC PR team. Really don't think it's a coincidence they got ahead of the news and had Jon break it himself.

didnt iole's tone completely change when dana threatened to pull his press credentials? not sure if they ever actually did it.

Heel

didnt iole's tone completely change when dana threatened to pull his press credentials? not sure if they ever actually did it.

Not sure, but he's one step from Gareth Davies cheerleader status.

QXByNBpl.jpg

Just how happy are you with this fantastic sold out event, Dana? Cheers.

God Jones is such a fucking tool. Like maybe he did just rev his engine at the car opposite him at the lights, maybe he wasnt drag racing, but even messing about revving at other cars, when youre on probation for dangerous driving, and have had narrowly escaped jail time for hit and run while high as fuck in the past, you have to be a supremely dumb fuck to even arse about in a high powered car. Someone needs to get him a fucking Uber

body cam footage of the incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6yFu5ZD32c

industrian

You'd think they'd give Cormier another opponent. Guess they'd have to do Cormier-Johnson 2 cause who the fuck else...

The LHW division is a completely uncompetitive mess. The top one (Jones) is far ahead of the second (DC) who is ahead of the thirds (Gus and Rumble) who are totally head and shoulders above the gatekeepers (Glover and Bader) who are so far ahead of the rest of the division (OSP, that "Beastin’ 25/8" dude, Latifi, etc) that it may as well not exist. Give it a year and one of the top three middleweights (Rockhold, Weidman, Romero) could probably walk into a LHW title shot.

industrian

I wonder if Bjornsson could make 265...

Failing that just strap some 4 ouncers on him and let him so wild against Butterbean or some shit.

Fox318

I wonder if Bjornsson could make 265...

Failing that just strap some 4 ouncers on him and let him so wild against Butterbean or some shit.

Ur Fight 2

Times Square

Pro Wrestling
MMA (Butter Bean vs Bjornsson )
Chess Boxing Match
Medieval Fight
X-Arm wrestling
Shin Kicking

We just need to fill the rest of the card

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Conor will agree to fight Cormier, will die in the Octagon but people will celebrate his humbleness when he says that he took a chance but it didn't pay off.

smug ninja scooter will use this as evidence for why he should have tapped earlier.

Top Bottom