• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
For DHEA of all things? I can get that from the corner store for five bucks right now. Says it is for "sugar metabolism" on the side of the bottle. Well, there goes my natty status bros, I'm going to get hopped up on that recipe.

A lot of stuff that is legal/over-the-counter in the USA is illegal/requires prescription in the rest of the world.

When my parents found out I was taking melatonin a few years ago they freaked out thinking I had been diagnosed with a problem. Then they saw "dietary supplement" written on the side and were both equally confused and horrified.

MjFrancis

A lot of stuff that is legal/over-the-counter in the USA is illegal/requires prescription in the rest of the world.

When my parents found out I was taking melatonin a few years ago they freaked out thinking I had been diagnosed with a problem. Then they saw "dietary supplement" written on the side and were both equally confused and horrified.
If Machida does get popped for DHEA alone it will be reminiscent of Sharapova getting popped for Meldonium. Meldonium isn't illegal in the United States, has been around for decades, but only got banned by WADA after recent studies showed some efficacy for CNS recovery in athletes. It's not too far fetched to believe that DHEA only recently showed some potential in studies pertaining to athletic performance (that I have yet to look for) and so WADA banned that as a result.

That, or WADA just snap bans anything that is taken with the intent of enhancing performance, snake oil or otherwise.

MjFrancis

DHEA entry on examine.com, for those interested in following up on that,

I like the notes on the links between DHEA and increased Testosterone:

There appears to be an increase in testosterone following DHEA supplementation, but the VAST majority of literature is in menopausal women (where testosterone contributes to libido). There is variability in the results, and DHEA is unreliable in increasing testosterone, but this unreliability extends to all demographics and subjects (with limited evidence of DHEA increasing testosterone in all studies including youthful athletes, which are less studied).

industrian

If Machida does get popped for DHEA alone it will be reminiscent of Sharapova getting popped for Meldonium. Meldonium isn't illegal in the United States, has been around for decades, but only got banned by WADA after recent studies showed some efficacy for CNS recovery in athletes. It's not too far fetched to believe that DHEA only recently showed some potential in studies pertaining to athletic performance (that I have yet to look for) and so WADA banned that as a result.

That, or WADA just snap bans anything that is taken with the intent of enhancing performance, snake oil or otherwise.

WADA constantly plays catchup.

The supplements that
successful
Olympic athletes take this year will be banned by next year.

VoxPop

I wonder how the Culinary Union is feeling now.

Thinking of what they can do with the card. Unfortunately, they'll probably stick a bunch of New Yorkers on there but I guess that's not too bad.

Some logical matchups depending on how the next few months go

Bones Cormier 2
Bones Rumble
Bones Gus 2
Bones HW debut

Weidman Rockhold 3
Weidman Silva 3
Weidman Jacare
Weidman Romero

Uriah Hall Vitor

Magny Lawler
Magny Woodley
Magny Thompson/Rory

Sterling Cruz
Sterling Dillashaw
Sterling Barao
Sterling Faber

random matchups for Villante, Iaquinta

maybe stick Jersey Boy Frankie Edgar on there

Edgar Conor
Edgar Holloway

Maybe a Ronda fight
Maybe Punk's debut

My ideal scenario

Conor Edgar for 145 strap
Bones vs Cain for #1 contender
Ronda vs Holm 2
Weidman vs Silva 3
CM Punk vs Gall/Rogan

I wonder how the Culinary Union is feeling now.

Thinking of what they can do with the card. Unfortunately, they'll probably stick a bunch of New Yorkers on there but I guess that's not too bad.

Some logical matchups depending on how the next few months go

Bones Cormier 2
Bones Rumble
Bones Gus 2
Bones HW debut

Weidman Rockhold 3
Weidman Silva 3
Weidman Jacare
Weidman Romero

Uriah Hall Vitor

Magny Lawler
Magny Woodley
Magny Thompson/Rory

Sterling Cruz
Sterling Dillashaw
Sterling Barao
Sterling Faber

random matchups for Villante, Iaquinta

maybe stick Jersey Boy Frankie Edgar on there

Edgar Conor
Edgar Holloway

Maybe a Ronda fight
Maybe Punk's debut

My ideal scenario

Conor Edgar for 145 strap
Bones vs Cain for #1 contender
Ronda vs Holm 2
Weidman vs Silva 3
CM Punk vs Gall/Rogan
Don't forget about mah boy Dennis "The Menace" Bermudez. He's gotta be on a NY card.

Haunted

I imagine that this is the end of Siver's UFC career. I don't see him beating BJ. Even if he's accomplished nothing outside of being an entry-level gatekeeper he's had a good 9 years in the Ultimate - which is better than what most have managed.
I was going to point out BJ Penn's long absence and age, but it turns out, they're actually the same damn age.

I don't even think the outcome matters that much. Even if Siver wins this somehow, it's hard to imagine him making an attempt to run up the rankings in that competitive division, from his position, at his age.

Maybe it's time. He always was a solid presence and pretty much the only German representation in the UFC. Shame there hasn't been a successor, young combat sports talents over here just go into boxing instead, much more lucrative and organised.

Hendo vs Lombard added to 199

As well as Penne vs Andrade

Rockhold v Weidman
Cruz v Faber
Penn vs Siver
Penne vs Andrade
Green vs Porier

Turned into a really solid card if in tact.

Oh and Ortega vs Guida added

Hendo is getting legit killed. This is not a good fight for him.

Gotta disagree... regardless of how old Hendo is, when has Lombard beat someone of that caliber?

Hendo is gonna knock him out.

Yeah, I agree. They're both trash-tier these days but Hendo has at least been competitive with upper level competition.

Lombard gasses like no one's business. I know it'll be up a class but he still sucks. If he doesn't finish a person right away he tends to fold. He's a frontrunner.

Lombard is a terrible matchup at this point for Hendo. They should have given him Lil Nog. Hendo has done it all, and exhausted all his match ups imo. He should just retire, or sign Tito or Griffin.

industrian

That's the closest thing to a gift title defence as anything.

I've nothing against Alvarez, but his performance in the UFC so far hasn't exactly triggered any sort of response from me. If he could make 145 he'd probably be better off in that division.

I just dont get how Alvarez is a #1 contender... i understand he technically beat Pettis and Munoz in a fight but theres probably more action going down at a quinceanera after a few modelos or coronas.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Dana has also said that Lawler will likely be fighting Woodley at UFC 201 or 202. I mean, I will enjoy seeing Lawler knock him out, but that's a pretty blah fight. Makes sense I guess, since Rory and Thompson are tied up. I guess Condit doesn't want to fight again too?

Dana has also said that Lawler will likely be fighting Woodley at UFC 201 or 202. I mean, I will enjoy seeing Lawler knock him out, but that's a pretty blah fight. Makes sense I guess, since Rory and Thompson are tied up. I guess Condit doesn't want to fight again too?

Condit definitely wants that rematch. The UFC is just stupid.

iddqd

P1 = $222.95
P2 = $171.20
P3 = $117.25
P4 = $88.10
P5 = $62.25

Yes, did you manage to get enough?
My buddy got 6 and they are all p1.

Now lets pray to the MMA Gods that no one hurts their foot!

Rory vs Wonderboy tickets sold out pretty much instantly.

I'm so bummed, I wanted to go to that event so bad. :(

As I wrote above, we have 6 but only need 3 tickets.
Let me know if you need those 3. I forgot the no of seating. It was at 5 o clock from the arena, P1

dream

Fuck you guys, I have never been as impressed with a literal joe's losing effort as I was with Archer. At a time when even the best in the world are tapping to blood chokes and strikes, this guy showed genuine toughness and heart.

Guru-Guru

Banned
IIRC, Ferguson is aiming for a May return. Khabib took little damage this fight, and as Ramadan starts in June (which essentially means he won't be able to take a fight in June, nor be in shape for a fight in July or even August), hopefully they can add Khabib vs Ferguson to the May 29th Fight Night in Vegas.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Fuck you guys, I have never been as impressed with a literal joe's losing effort as I was with Archer. At a time when even the best in the world are tapping to blood chokes and strikes, this guy showed genuine toughness and heart.

I can't disrespect him just because he showed up and didn't curl into the fetal position and play dead after the first takedown, but he clearly shouldn't have been there against Khabib. Hopefully he gets at least a few chances to fight against some lower competition and see what he can do though.

Guru-Guru

Banned
First time seeing Khabib, dude really is a beast. Hard to deal with those takedowns and top game.
That he is. He also has some pretty wild standup (strikes jumping in at opponents, looping punches, etc.) that is hard for opponents to predict/adjust to. We didn't really get to see any of that this fight.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I can't disrespect him just because he showed up and didn't curl into the fetal position and play dead after the first takedown, but he clearly shouldn't have been there against Khabib. Hopefully he gets at least a few chances to fight against some lower competition and see what he can do though.

Yeah, it was a huge mismatch.. just a completely different skill level. I mean, dude had heart.. but he took a LOT of punishment in a match he shouldn't have been in.

dream

Sure, it was an absolute slaughter. But Archer showed heart and toughness at a time when everyone in the Ultimate lives by the adage "he who fights and taps away, lives to tap another day." I say this kid has earned a second fight. Let him beat up Edson Barboza or something.

Top Bottom