• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

I'm glad I missed that fight. I was curious to see how Horcher would do, but if you have to take off work to fight, you're probably getting slaughtered in the UFC.

That was a nice sparring match. I'd love to see them fight and actually want it. Torres seemed content to let her win 29-28 in rd 3 if her corner really told her she was losing.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Sure, it was an absolute slaughter. But Archer showed heart and toughness at a time when everyone in the Ultimate lives by the adage "he who fights and taps away, lives to tap another day." I say this kid has earned a second fight. Let him beat up Edson Barboza or something.

Horcher, Darrell Horcher.. at least get the dude's name right.

That was a nice sparring match. I'd love to see them fight and actually want it. Torres seemed content to let her win 29-28 in rd 3 if her corner really told her she was losing.

Yeah, felt like a sparring match.

NHL94

Banned
I always thought the more decorated fighter came out second. Rashad is a former champ yet coming out before only challenger Texiera.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Damn. Did it start early? I didn't think I would miss it.

That said, just checked for stuff on Reddit. My main thought is that Rashad is fucking done. My second thought is that he will eternally live with the fact he fucked up by not immediately dropping to 185 after the Jones loss. My third thought is that despite being "fucking done" he's at the right age to make a run for the HW title. :p

VoxPop

Wow wth, Rizin was yesterday? The Wand Saku tag match was fun for like the first 5 min then got stale real quick.

I want to see an openweight bout with 170lbs Cyborg vs 205 Gabi

Shad would have gotten KOd by Shogun anyway. He's been always a bit overrated imo, because of his Chuck KO. He was also getting lit up by Forrest before he clipped him. Shad was always solid though. Not great, but solid.

Shad would have gotten KOd by Shogun anyway. He's been always a bit overrated imo, because of his Chuck KO. He was also getting lit up by Forrest before he clipped him. Shad was always solid though. Not great, but solid.

Solid is a helluva lot better than Shogun has been in a decade.

ApharmdX

Banned
Shogun was a fantastic fighter in Pride. He peaked really early though. Maybe too many Chute Boxe brutal training sessions? And his knees have been shot for a long time.

Evans' chin is shot. Machida cracked it, I think. He was dropped in just about every fight after that one? I wasn't really surprised he got put to sleep this weekend.

ApharmdX

Banned
Shogun is 7-8 since he left Pride and he got subbed by Sonnen.

He's fought an elite group of fighters, though, and he won the UFC LHW belt. And getting subbed by Sonnen, is that a black mark against you? It's MMA, and Sonnen has been grappling at an elite level for decades.

He's fought an elite group of fighters, though, and he won the UFC LHW belt. And getting subbed by Sonnen, is that a black mark against you? It's MMA, and Sonnen has been grappling at an elite level for decades.

Yes, it is a black mark against you. Sonnen has been a mental midget for years when it comes to submission grappling. His wrestling is good. His jiu jitsu is not.

ApharmdX

Banned
Yes, it is a black mark against you. Sonnen has been a mental midget for years when it comes to submission grappling. His wrestling is good. His jiu jitsu is not.

A guillotine is a lot like a front headlock. Wrestlers are very familiar with this position. Sonnen is also strong as a bull. This is a combination that surprises BJJ guys. Matt Hughes is a BJJ white belt but he caught Almeida in a sub. Is that a black mark against Almeida? Of course not.

VoxPop

Fedor vs Maldonado is official for June 17

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

A guillotine is a lot like a front headlock. Wrestlers are very familiar with this position. Sonnen is also strong as a bull. This is a combination that surprises BJJ guys. Matt Hughes is a BJJ white belt but he caught Almeida in a sub. Is that a black mark against Almeida? Of course not.

Right, but Sonnen pulled guard. Not a traditional move by a wrestler at all. Wrestlers don't pull guard.

As far as Matt Hughes is concerned. Did he not rock Almeida first? I believe he did. If so, that plays a huge factor in that equation.

ApharmdX

Banned
Right, but Sonnen pulled guard. Not a traditional move by a wrestler at all. Wrestlers don't pull guard.

As far as Matt Hughes is concerned. Did he not rock Almeida first? I believe he did. If so, that plays a huge factor in that equation.

He pulled guard once he caught the guillotine, yes, but that's standard. And Hughes did land a shot before choking out Almeida but even so... people underestimate wrestler's grappling, is my point. Sonnen survived like 13 minutes against Andre Galvao in a sub wrestling match. How many people could do that? He's a legit grappler.

He pulled guard once he caught the guillotine, yes, but that's standard. And Hughes did land a shot before choking out Almeida but even so... people underestimate wrestler's grappling, is my point. Sonnen survived like 13 minutes against Andre Galvao in a sub wrestling match. How many people could do that? He's a legit grappler.

Yeah, but you're acting as if it were a front headlock/front choke in the traditional wrestler sense. His guard helped finish that choke. By the way, I mean no disrespect, just having a good MMA debate. The punch set up the choke for Matt Hughes. Plain and simple. I agree that wrestlers often get overlooked in regards to grappling but not by me. Chael is dump tier. Matt Hughes was ridiculously good at grappling. Same with Johny Hendricks. Same with Khabib. There are a lot of wrestlers that are not put in a box when it comes to their primary discipline. While it is impressive that Chael lasted so long against Galvao it's also worth noting that it's not too difficult to stall a grappling match with some opponents. Galvao isn't the same explosive grappler that a Garry Tonon is.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...-pierre-makes-12-million-a-year/#1439dfac52d3

GSP made roughly $9 million combined for his past two fights, according to multiple sources close to the fighter. His current annual income outside the octagon from endorsements, memorabilia and licensing adds another $3 million.
[...]
St-Pierre’s recent bouts have each included a $200,000 guarantee, plus a $200,000 win bonus for the fighter. He also earned “Fight of the Night” bonuses in two of his past four fights that were worth $70,000 and $100,000 respectively. But the big money is in PPV. Top UFC fighters receive a cut of PPV revenue on top of their guarantees and bonuses. By cutting the champion fighters in on the PPV action, White ensures that the stars of MMA will promote the UFC events to help drive up the PPV gross. St-Pierre is practically guaranteed $3 million per fight before stepping into the octagon based on his past PPV audiences, but the numbers can climb quickly. The 950,000 PPV buys for UFC 158 meant a $5 million payday for Rush.

I'm glad he's using his position to say something because it may benefit other fighters, but I don't think GSP really needs the extra endorsements.

Yaari

I have absolutely no interest in seeing him return. I know he'd dominate, so thats not the thing. But I have been enjoying the division a lot more since he left.

Top Bottom