• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

SteveWD40

Had no idea he was making so much per fight, I can see now how he can afford to retire.

I would guess his $10M demand was retirement cash, UFC200 then out.

broz0rs

Question about this champions clause that the UFC has. If Conor were to retire, how long would it be before he has no legal attachment to the UFC and can fight anywhere else?

The guy is just 27. He can sit out a few years and still be in his physical prime.

zewone

Question about this champions clause that the UFC has. If Conor were to retire, how long would it be before he has no legal attachment to the UFC and can fight anywhere else?

The guy is just 27. He can sit out a few years and still be in his physical prime.

From what other pros like Josh Barnett and Brendan Schaub have said, they could keep him under contract until he dies basically.

Retiring is not a loop hole to get out of your contract.

Fox318

He wants to make money. Right now UFC is the place to fight and has the money.

Unless he tries to do something dumb like a mega fight with Floyd in boxing he just isn't going to make money anywhere else like he can in the UFC.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If Conor were to retire, how long would it be before he has no legal attachment to the UFC and can fight anywhere else?

Is there anywhere else that could pay Conor as much as he wanted in the UFC? Bellator and One ain't paying that shit. They could get 1000 Evan Dunhams for that price.

zewone

Dana White:
Conor basically said he didn't want to come to Vegas.. tour was vegas, stockton, and new york.. He said he didn't want to do it.
It's not a money issue.
I do not think he [he is retiring].
Conor, at the end of the day, for whatever reason, he freaked out about this.
Our relationship isn't damaged at all
Conor needs to clear up his status soon because if he remains retired Aldo v Edgar will be for the featherweight title.
I'm not mad at Conor. Conor made a decision and a choice to not fight on this card. That's on him, man
Conor's mgmt asked to move the media stuff to May but that wasn't an option. "This is weird," White said on the tweet.

Dana White is full of shit. Hes never going to say the truth.

Conors negotiation tool backfired and its gonna cost him.
Its all about Zuffas reaction to this. Im sure it has damaged their relationship. Maybe the rumor about Conor/Zuffa relationship worsening was true after all.

Heel

Dana White:

Z5XYDJK.jpg

scabro

their contracts are based on fights

if he has x amount of fights left with the ufc, he cant get out of the contract until he finishes up his contracted number of fights, the ufc releases him, or he retires.

Heel

their contracts are based on fights

if he has x amount of fights left with the ufc, he cant get out of the contract until he finishes up his contracted number of fights, the ufc releases him, or he retires.

Right. I believe it's Zuffa's obligation is to offer a minimum amount of fights a year. If that's done and they aren't fulfilled, the contract remains. You can see how this can drag on if you try to play hardball or want to fight out your contract. They just start dragging their feet and you end up like Rory.

Chesskid1

Banned
i noticed for the post-fight stuff UFC fighters will appear on the ESPN MMA show (i dont even know if this airs live on ESPN) before they even appear on the *official* post show on FS1, even delaying the post fight presser.

and it wasnt too long ago when sportscenter didn't even cover MMA, and now dana is giving them all the exclusive announcements.

i guess it won't be too long before we'll have UFC on ESPN

Guru-Guru

Banned
i guess it won't be too long before we'll have UFC on ESPN
IIRC, there were rumors a couple weeks ago that ESPN was seriously interested in paying a ton of money to have UFC on their network after the Fox deal expires (which should be soon). I'm sure the 2 reasons why they are interested are Ronda and McGregor, but even if they get the deal neither of those fighters would ever fight on a non-PPV card anyway.

industrian

IIRC, there were rumors a couple weeks ago that ESPN was seriously interested in paying a ton of money to have UFC on their network after the Fox deal expires (which should be soon). I'm sure the 2 reasons why they are interested are Ronda and McGregor, but even if they get the deal neither of those fighters would ever fight on a non-PPV card anyway.

Fucking hell. I feel old.

Their deal ends in 2018. It was a 7-year deal signed in 2011.

I feel like ESPN getting the deal would be prety awful. As it is on Fox already UFC content gets pushed, pre-empted, cut off, or shuffled to another channel for other sports. ESPN would be no different and possibly would put televised events behind anothere, different paywall with many cable providers.

Dana: I will never trust Nick Diaz again
Dana: I still love the taste of Conor's dick and ballsack

You can call Dana any name in the book, but he needs Conor in his life.
Dana is dealing with guys like Mendes who said hes the Tyson of the FW division. Guy cant sell a fight to save his life.

Dana needs Ronda, Conor and Jones. Chael showed all of us that you have to be a great seller...not necessarily a good/great fighter to get the numbers in.

I love how fragile the situation is. Danas biggest stars are feeble little dipshits. Conors gone, Ronda was dealing with suicidal toughts and who knows if she ll ever be back. And Jones is an absolute trainwreck.

Wha happn!?

Levito

Banned
Conor posted a statement on his Facebook:

I am just trying to do my job and fight here.
I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.
Nothing else was going through my mind.
It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a fuck morning show did not get me this life.
Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a fuck about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
I'm coming for my revenge here.
I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.
With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.
I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
But it was denied.
There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.
And all with one tweet.
Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.
I must isolate myself now.
I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.
I can not dance for you this time.
It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.
Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
He came in with no shit to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
I'm doing what I need for me now.
It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.
I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.
I am still ready to go for UFC 200.
I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.
For the record also -
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -
I AM NOT RETIRED.

Yaari

That pretty much confirms he hit the wall, trying to play hard in negotiations. He kept asking for more and they finally said No.

-MD-

Conor is super salty about that Nate loss, geez, lol.

Cry some more, please.

For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -
I AM NOT RETIRED.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY BELT AWAY!

I think Ariel thinks like a regular person and can be a mark because of that. I've listened to him talk for many hours over the years, I think he's one of the most genuine people in this game.

VoxPop

On the fence about this whole thing. While I enjoy Conor playing the whole voice of the voiceless shtick, I believe he is in the wrong here. I would understand if these were additional obligations they tacked on, but it's not. He signed a contract to do these media gigs and he should just man up and do them.

I agree that Conor is close to or actually is bigger than the UFC right now. But at the same time, without he UFC platform and the relentless push they gave him, he wouldn't be here. Not to say he couldn't have become a star somewhere else though.

I just hope this all gets sorted out because with the whole anti-establishment and retirement angle, it has all the ingredients for their best PPV buyrate + gate of all time

Heel

I think Ariel thinks like a regular person and can be a mark because of that. I've listened to him talk for many hours over the years, I think he's one of the most genuine people in this game.

Right. That video with Luke Thomas struck me as MMA Fighting giving takes for hits like every other media outlet right now, not some secret plot to obscure the story for UFC's benefit or something. If you want a questionable media figure, follow Iole. Dude's probably chewing a stogie on the back 9 with the PR department as we speak.

Ariel's "multiple sources" confirming Conor was retired was naive as hell, though.

industrian

I see Conor's point. I believe Nick Diaz was the first to decry these "beauty pageants" and it'll never not be true.

They're fighters. I understand there's media obligations, but surely they can be handled in a better way than disrupting training camps and shit like that. Even if they need to phone it in by setting up video conferencing from where they're training from, it would be a lot better than just constantly flying them across the USA, Brazil, Europe, etc trying to hype up a fight that will in all probability sell itself.

I just hope this all gets sorted out because with the whole anti-establishment and retirement angle, it has all the ingredients for their best PPV buyrate + gate of all time

Pretty much. It's the perfect angle for Conor to run with.

industrian

Not sure if it's been posted already, but Max Holloway vs. Ricardo Lamas has been added to UFC 199. That's going to be a great fight, with Holloway deserving a title shot if he wins.

Lighter PR schedule I say. They all know who he is...he broke through that barrier a long time ago. Additionally UFC 200 sells itself...

Ease up and let him have his way. What a fucking circus...

I guess its more of a authority battle than anything. Nobody can be bigger than the company.
Funny that the company tries to find that next star and now they have a megastar and they treat him like that.

Top Bottom